Jesse Puljujarvi Part 7: No NHL in '19-20 for Jesse P.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Source from 5 Mins last page. Puljujarvi only interested in nhl or Finland.

All I'm saying, and have been, is Puljujarvi time in Finland is pointless for everyone. He is better off in the ahl (not an option this year) or the KHL if he is not coming back to Edmonton. Finish league just isn't good enough to develop a young potential nhl star. Pretty much anywhere would be better than the Finish league for where he is at in his career.
But you said this "publicly saying he isnt confident enough to play in the KHL"

Where in any of that does it say that.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019

All I'm saying, and have been, is Puljujarvi time in Finland is pointless for everyone. He is better off in the ahl (not an option this year) or the KHL if he is not coming back to Edmonton. Finish league just isn't good enough to develop a young potential nhl star. Pretty much anywhere would be better than the Finish league for where he is at in his career.

I understand and pretty much agree. I just didn't understand what he did wrong this tims ;)

It seems like it's a long way until the next NHL season so it'd probably be stupid not to play before that. At the moment leaving the NHL and the FEL for the choices is a smart and a pretty obvious thing to do. I hope it'll be a combination of the FEL+NHL, but I'm not sure if his team Karpat is ready to sign him for just a few months.

Reactions: Aerchon

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I understand and pretty much agree. I just didn't understand what he did wrong this tims ;)

It seems like it's a long way until the next NHL season so it'd probably be stupid not to play before that. At the moment leaving the NHL and the FEL for the choices is a smart and a pretty obvious thing to do. I hope it'll be a combination of the FEL+NHL, but I'm not sure if his team Karpat is ready to sign him for just a few months.
Dont most contracts in europe besides the KHL have a NHL out clause? Although this year will be tricky with the NHL starting at a later date.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005

Why would Karpat not want to sign him for as long as they can?
One year deal with Karpat with an NHL out clause would be ideal for Puljujarvi and Oilers.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
Dont most contracts in europe besides the KHL have a NHL out clause? Although this year will be tricky with the NHL starting at a later date.

I don't know about this year, but typically the players need to make their choice before the FEL season starts.

Why would Karpat not want to sign him for as long as they can?
One year deal with Karpat with an NHL out clause would be ideal for Puljujarvi and Oilers.

Karpat have usually avoided key players who'll be leaving after a while. They have just 1-2 spots left and plenty of money to fill them. At the moment there's lots of great players looking for jobs so they may want to invest in someone who can build chemistry with the team througout the season.

Pulju would be great for the team, but there's a risk that losing him means the PP and maybe the first line get messed in the middle of the season. However, some FEL teams would certainly take Pulju with an NHL clause and that'll put Karpat in a tough situation, which is why they may make an exception and have Pulju for just a few months.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005

Holland did an interview Monday 7/27 on Oilers Now and said that he had a zoom call with Pulju, Lehto, Tippett, and himself. He says he's been talking to Lehto 2-3 times in the past three weeks. "We'll see where it goes. There is communication. We'll see where it goes", was all Holland would add.

Last edited:

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

Holland did an interview Monday 7/27 on Oilers Now and said that he had a zoom call with Pulju, his agent, Tippett, and himself. "We're talking. We'll see", was all Holland would add.

If he wants one more year in Finland that would be fine as well. With the uncertainty of the NHL season they could sign him and lend him to a team in Liga or even in the SEL. Given the escrow situation this might be a good option for him.

Reactions: Mr Positive

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
If he wants one more year in Finland that would be fine as well. With the uncertainty of the NHL season they could sign him and lend him to a team in Liga or even in the SEL. Given the escrow situation this might be a good option for him.

Yup. Earlier in the interview Holland touched on doing this with Broberg, loaning him to Skelleftea and bringing him over to join the AHL/NHL squad once that SHL season ends, maybe 2 months into the 2021 season. And they did this with Samorukov, so seems like they've got some ducks in a row. But of course, Pulju woud have to be signed.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
I want Jesse back. I believe in him

not sure how his teammates will feel though, I remember Drai saying in the preseason something along the lines of "I guess he doesn't want to play for us anymore"

Reactions: 3IR and KYams17

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
It's a busy moment so I hope you rather appreciate a quick translation than start stirring things over some nuances in the article :) From Yle's (the national broadcasting company in Finland) article:

Markus Lehto (Jesse's agent):

- We had a long, constructive discussion with the organisation. It even lasted for quite a while, so things were gone through pretty throughly. I'd put it this way that in another situation the palaver could've been quite short. There's interest on that side now.

- Let's see where this leads. In life it's always good to go through different options carefully. There's been time and water flown under the bridges. And Jesse's never been calling around that he would need to get first line minutes. It's more about how to get the best out of the player, that was the theme of the video meeting.

- The situation is completely open. Of course he's a young player who wants to play a lot and playing is the best way to develop. The NHL's training camps start at the earliest in the middle of November. I believe Jesse will play before that. We've got good offers from several places, e.g. a KHL contract could be signed any time.

According to the article Karpat (FEL) is the leading option.

- The organisation has taken care of things very well and Oulu is a steady place for a player to take new steps. Of course I won't exclude other options either.

Jesse Puljujärvi sittenkin NHL:ään? Suomalaishyökkääjän agentti kertoo Yle Urheilulle neuvotteluista

Last edited:

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

It's not pointless. There's been plenty of players staying in SHL, FEL and other European leagues into their mid 20's before coming over. Yes, it might limit their ceiling but it usually also makes them into much more well-rounded and mature players who can play a number of different roles. Jesse is the opposite of a well-rounded player and is seemingly quite immature, or at least has been in the past, so for him to stay in Finland another year is not a bad thing at all.

If he can become a more mature player and person and start approaching the game more as a pro that is very good news. If he can develop into a solid middle-six winger that's a win at this point. Actually if he starts using his size, speed and reach more to be a nuisance on the forecheck he could be a useful winger for Connor. SHL and FEL are quite defensive-minded leagues so it's not bad at all for Jesse to spend time there and become accustomed to that type of game.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
If his confidence and mental health were wrecked being in Edmonton the past few years, then he made the perfect choice going to Finland for a year where he could be comfortable, happy and successful before giving the NHL another go in a non-tirefire environment.

Thank goodness the Oilers now qualify as a non-tirefire.

Jesse and his agent did him no favours, but Chia-era Oilers handled him abysmally.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

I'm not going to hold my breath waiting on a successful return of Puljujarvi to the Oilers. Ditto for a trade that would return what I consider "good value" for him.

But, this is a step in the right direction. Let's hope all parties involved in this situation will end up with great returns. Now that McDavid and Draisaitl are no longer attached at the hip and McDavid has a possible opening on his wings... A Gretzky Kurri reincarnation is possible. Of course they would be their own thing but damn would that be cool.

Has Puljujarvi ever played his off wing? I really like a top 6 of Puljujarvi McDavid Kassian plus RNH Draisaitl Yamamoto. Or just drop Kassian on the third line and have Neal McDavid Puljujarvi.

Not holding my breath. Lots could go wrong even if Puljujarvi came back but it's fun to think about.

Reactions: 3IR

Tkachuckycheese

Oilers/Sens
Feb 2, 2016
All he needed was time and to mature his game and himself. I really hope he returns and embraces whatever comes his way and can contribute the way people thought he would. Would also be a great way to showcase himself to other teams if he returns to the Oilers that he has grown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->