Jesse Puljujarvi Part 7: No NHL in '19-20 for Jesse P.

Status
Not open for further replies.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
I agree, but some are acting like they would rather see him stay in finland rather than potentially help the oilers.

who are they really cheering for if they don’t want the oilers to get better.

Even if he was eligible (and he's not), I'd say playing this year would be a non-starter. He quit on the team. Even if he's had a total change of heart and personally licked the toilet of every single guy in that room, he still quit on the team.
Every single player in that room door rather play with a guy like PRussell whose given their body up to play for the team this year. It takes time to get over someone quitting on you; we don't have time, we need to bring our A game from day one.

We don't have time for guys to forgive a pulju in a 5 game play in series.

Next year, I would be cool with him trying his hand at helping the Oil for sure.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
So every report ever made about this player and the issues from his side is all just a bunch of media speculation to sewer the player publicly? Why would the media do that? What do they have to gain by sewering the teams top prospect. You can’t just deny that there was any wrong doing on his side and chalk the absolutely vast amounts of reports up to “speculation”.
Well Puljujärvi certainly didn't make super mature comments to the Finnish media at the time, I think it's a serious stretch to think that it's just some Edmonton media fabrication.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Even if he was eligible (and he's not), I'd say playing this year would be a non-starter. He quit on the team. Even if he's had a total change of heart and personally licked the toilet of every single guy in that room, he still quit on the team.
Every single player in that room door rather play with a guy like PRussell whose given their body up to play for the team this year. It takes time to get over someone quitting on you; we don't have time, we need to bring our A game from day one.

Next year, I would be cool with him trying his hand at helping the Oil for sure.

He didn't quit on the team. He wasn't established and didn't have a contract. Players hold out all the time for a better situation. He had legit reasons to want a fresh start given his struggles. I'm sure wanting to play elsewhere hurt some feelings but not so bad that time wouldn't heal those wounds. I don't think he'd be a great fit for this year, although he might be riding high and could be, but I doubt the vast majority, if not all, of his teammates wouldn't welcome him back. These guys know it's a business and they can understand he was doing what was best for himself.

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.

There was a time where Kassian wanted out as well, and ended up changing his mind. Locker room seems to have accepted him even after some of his dumb on ice antics.

Reactions: dawunderboy

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
There was a time where Kassian wanted out as well, and ended up changing his mind. Locker room seems to have accepted him even after some of his dumb on ice antics.

Yeah, these players just want to win. If there was ever a rift between our top guys and Pulju in the room it would be because Pulju was clearly doing things that were detrimental to winning. Being a goof on the PP and refusing to take direction would have been an obvious red flag to players that just want to win games. I wouldn't fault them one bit if they privately told McLellan the kid just isn't gonna cut it with them in game situations on the PP (of course, who knows if that actually happened). McDavid called up freakin Brandon Manning to try to make him feel comfortable coming to the Oilers. Does anyone really think McDavid would be going out of his way to be a jerk to a 19 year old with broken english?

If Pulju comes back with a good attitude and is willing to listen to what Tippett tells him to do, he will be welcome back by the team with open arms.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

Where in my post am I referencing this year?

I’m aware he’s not eligible for this year. And he didn’t quit on the team, he wasn’t under contract.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
And he didn’t quit on the team, he wasn’t under contract.
He’s an RFA. In that sense he is kind of ‘holding out’. You can find that term used in multiple articles over the past year. He also publicly asked to be traded. Not saying those aren’t within his rights according to the CBA, and if he wants to sacrifice $ for personal happiness I don’t think anyone has a right to criticize that. But your definition of ‘quit on the team’ is pretty narrow. He may have had his reasons, but he quit. It’s pretty clear.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
He’s an RFA. In that sense he is kind of ‘holding out’. You can find that term used in multiple articles over the past year. He also publicly asked to be traded. Not saying those aren’t within his rights according to the CBA, and if he wants to sacrifice $ for personal happiness I don’t think anyone has a right to criticize that. But your definition of ‘quit on the team’ is pretty narrow. He may have had his reasons, but he quit. It’s pretty clear.
He doesn't owe it to the oilers to sign a contract, just like the oilers dont owe it to him to trade him.

He didn't quit on the team.

Reactions: PGW

Furious Nerd

Jan 18, 2018

He demanded a trade publicly, and his agent badmouthed the team as I recall.

His agent also complained about Pulju going to the minors when he was here and under contract.

He was a chronic malcontent throughout his time here.

Even now, seeing that his gambit has failed, all we are hearing is "never say never".

Time to move on.

Reactions: Messrules11

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
He doesn't owe it to the oilers to sign a contract, just like the oilers dont owe it to him to trade him.

I kind of disagree. He did quit on the team, but it just shouldn't matter that much. He couldn't go to the AHL so he was turning down having to sit in the press box for a bunch of the season.

The fact that him going to Europe was actually the best thing for the Oilers should take the sting away from what JP did. This isn't like Trouba demanding a trade out of Winnipeg, where they missed those months he was gone because he was a critical piece. JP is a prospect still, and he had a great developmental year in Finland. Maybe it was Holland's idea even.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I kind of disagree. He did quit on the team, but it just shouldn't matter that much. He couldn't go to the AHL so he was turning down having to sit in the press box for a bunch of the season.

The fact that him going to Europe was actually the best thing for the Oilers should take the sting away from what JP did. This isn't like Trouba demanding a trade out of Winnipeg, where they missed those months he was gone because he was a critical piece. JP is a prospect still, and he had a great developmental year in Finland. Maybe it was Holland's idea even.

Certainly not Holland's idea. Also strongly disagree this was a good development year for him.

Correct me if I'm wrong but even his coach from this year doesn't think Puljujarvi is nhl ready. Playing well, not great, in such an inferior league actually worsened Puljujarvi value. At best Puljujarvi maintained his value/skillset... Thus why even Puljujarvi and his agent are finally back pedaling.

About the only positive I can think that may have come from any of this is if... if he worked on his English a lot and has a greater understanding moving forward.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Certainly not Holland's idea. Also strongly disagree this was a good development year for him.

Correct me if I'm wrong but even his coach from this year doesn't think Puljujarvi is nhl ready. Playing well, not great, in such an inferior league actually worsened Puljujarvi value. At best Puljujarvi maintained his value/skillset... Thus why even Puljujarvi and his agent are finally back pedaling.

About the only positive I can think that may have come from any of this is if... if he worked on his English a lot and has a greater understanding moving forward.
I think going to Europe was a good move. He’s not an nhl player and would be buried on the depth chart. Can’t go to the minors because he needs waivers.

ZenOil

Fast Twitch Hitch
Sep 23, 2010
Vancouver
I bet he watched the last dance and realized he was being a little b-tch. Hopefully he matured and is ready to bring it.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

That quote was from Jukka Jalonen(Finland's national team's coach) not his coach.

Reactions: nabob and Aerchon

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
That quote was from Jukka Jalonen(Finland's national team's coach) not his coach.

It's also good to realize that in another intervied Jalonen talked positively about Jesse and said he's got plenty of time for a succesful NHL career, comparing his case to Selanne, Mikko Koivu and Valtteri Filppula, who started their NHL careers at the age of 22.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
He did quit on the team, but it just shouldn't matter that much.

How did he quit on the team?

The team and the player couldn't come to an agreement on a new contract. So Puljujarvi chose to play for a year back in Finland. Puljujarvi fulfilled the terms of his entry level contract then made what he felt was the best choice for his career.

Reactions: Whyme

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

It's also good to realize that in another intervied Jalonen talked positively about Jesse and said he's got plenty of time for a succesful NHL career, comparing his case to Selanne, Mikko Koivu and Valtteri Filppula, who started their NHL careers at the age of 22.

Thanks.

Not Finish but people even forget how slow the Sedins were to adjust to NA hockey.

Reactions: Whyme

duul

Jun 21, 2010
From what I heard last year, it was something related to Milan Lucic being an absolute psychopath to the poor kid.

We can see from Instagram pics etc that Connor and Nurse took Jesse out to some concerts etc. I think they tried to help him out. I think now that Nealer is here in Lucic's place, it will make Jesse want to come back way more. You see him posting on Instagram in English, hinting at return being a possibility. I'm sure Holland will have him back here for next season.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay

You’re wrong.

Reactions: fresh meat

nally

When you have something to say, silence is a lie
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2004
London, Ontario
www.Directdial.com
[/QUOTE] I want Puljujarvi back on the team. Preferably long term. But he has proven himself a butt munch. I think both the organization and he wants him traded asap. Best way to accomplish that is give him every opportunity to succeed and then trade at a positive.[/QUOTE]

The guy we drafted is exactly the guy we need to play wing in the top six. Yes we need a 3C, but a dynamic, big, fast winger with scoring chops is exactly what we need. Mold him, as much as can be done, and if he still doesn't progress the way he "should", then yes, trade him for a 3C.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
My question is how he fits into the roster next season if he decides to come back. IMO it's either him or Chiasson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad