Jesse Puljujarvi Part 7: No NHL in '19-20 for Jesse P.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I was talking about the time before him or his agent had said a word about wanting to leave the Oilers. And Pulju and his agent demanding a roster spot is speculation, a top6 spot even more so.
So every report ever made about this player and the issues from his side is all just a bunch of media speculation to sewer the player publicly? Why would the media do that? What do they have to gain by sewering the teams top prospect. You can’t just deny that there was any wrong doing on his side and chalk the absolutely vast amounts of reports up to “speculation”.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
So every report ever made about this player and the issues from his side is all just a bunch of media speculation to sewer the player publicly? Why would the media do that? What do they have to gain by sewering the teams top prospect. You can’t just deny that there was any wrong doing on his side and chalk the absolutely vast amounts of reports up to “speculation”.

Sorry if it's not what you want to hear but yes I honestly haven't seen anything that would qualify as a reliable source with direct quotes or something. Yes, while that's possible, nothing to indicate he demanded a top 6 spot. If a few articles turn something into reality I could dig some articles that say the Oilers haven't treated him well, but I still think there's two sides in this and Jesse carries his part of the problem.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

Have you not lived in Edmonton for the last 40 years. The media here is notorious for sewer our players and trying to drive them out of town. Each year at least one player gets that honor.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019

Like I said Pulju shares his part, but talking about media and if smoke means there's fire... I was searching for some info and happened to bump into this from February 2019.

Staples (and McCurdy) says Puljujarvi was never given a fair chance to succeed. He says it's crazy they never tried him at the thing he does the best and which was why they took him at #4: left half wall on the top PP unit. He also spends a lot of time to express how he feels about Milan Lucic being his most common linemate.

I highly recommend this to anyone interested in getting a bit deeper into this, it might make one understand a bit better why a 20-year-old kid felt he needed a fresh start elsewhere. Remember it was Chia's and mainly McLellan's time.

Last edited:

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
The problem for Puljujarvi now is that the Oilers are actually good. If he comes into training camp, he probably gets a look in the top 6, and if he had succeeded they would have kept him there. It's not like he didn't get to play in the top 6 at all while he was here, I don't see why that would've changed.

I think what he wanted was to be given the opportunity to work on his game while playing in the top 6, which like it or not is not a strategy a lot of teams utilize. Some do, but in most cases if a coach feels a player is struggling, they're going to move him down to the bottom of the lineup until they start making things happen. Players like Josh Archibald were able to do that, and then when the opportunity comes, they get a shot in the top six. That's what Puljujarvi had to do, and probably will still have to do if he comes back.

I just don't buy that being a third liner for a couple of years is that detrimental to his career. His camp obviously feels like the Oilers were burying him and therefore hurting his ability for future earnings, but I have to say I just don't buy it. The Oilers want nothing more than for Puljujarvi to be every bit the superstar he thinks he's going to be. The only criticism I have for the coaches is that I think he probably should've gotten more PP time when the PP was struggling, but that's gone now (I don't think he's going to come back and play a net front role).

And I also have to say, I just don't think it's that bad to be a third liner in the NHL, nor do I think receiving criticism from the fans in Edmonton would affect these guys that much. They're making millions of dollars, and generally even the guys who fans turn on are treated like gods in this city. I think it's more likely that he experienced some culture shock and didn't fit in with the high end players in the room, and felt like that's where he belonged. I think there's zero chance he left because the fans were too hard on him.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Ftr I agree with MessierII everyone messed up badly.

@Al from New Jersey

If you want to play in the nhl, which he does, you play by its rules. Oilers own his rights, he owes the Oilers those rightd until those rights expire.

Of course he can go play in any other po dunk league he wants to but not the nhl and doing so does nothing but make him look foolish...
I agree, but some are acting like they would rather see him stay in finland rather than potentially help the oilers.

who are they really cheering for if they don’t want the oilers to get better.

Reactions: Aerchon

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Why would the media? They do this every year and make stuff up as soon as a player leaves.

Reactions: Aerchon

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
Valid thoughts from you, but I'll comment these two.

I just don't buy that being a third liner for a couple of years is that detrimental to his career. His camp obviously feels like the Oilers were burying him and therefore hurting his ability for future earnings, but I have to say I just don't buy it.

For sure being a 3rd liner for a couple of years wouldn't be. But he was jumped from line to line or even out of the line-up and especially the lack of PP usage had to bother them. Many over here also felt he wasn't getting the same opportunities as some others.

I think there's zero chance he left because the fans were too hard on him.

Not just because of that but I don't know if you happened to see the insults over here. I've honestly never witnessed anything like that with any other player, after all they're human beings too. But I don't know if he was aware of that, I hope not anyway. If a player feels the fans hate him he may feel it makes it even more difficult to build the offensive game.

Reactions: nally and Aerchon

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
He was only jumped around the lineup so much because they were giving him opportunities in the top six so frequently. This topic has beaten to death at this point; you have one camp that thinks if he had continued to play with McDavid he would've been productive, and you have the other that thinks he would have fallen off the pace. I'm in the latter camp, but I don't think at this point anyone is convincing anyone of anything haha.

I just don't buy the insult thing. My impression was that people loved Puljujarvi here, and the average fan really wanted him to succeed. I don't think the insults on HF are getting to any players anyway, but if you asked a random Oiler fan, especially a younger one, what they thought of Puljujarvi the first two years he was here, I think the response would be overwhelmingly positive. I can understand if something happened in the room, that's different. But I just don't believe these guys are affected by what is said about them online. You go into any restaurant or bar in Edmonton, even if you're a nothing fourth liner, and you are getting the best treatment of anyone around. I don't think that can even be argued.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
You guys should see how Puljujarvi is received on the 4chan board for sports. He is one of if not the most iconic figures on the entire board, which is arguably more active than this site. Constant pictures of him being goofy, etc. He is a beloved guy, even if it's for memes.

Hope he comes here and succeeds, for our sake and his.

Reactions: nally

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
He was only jumped around the lineup so much because they were giving him opportunities in the top six so frequently. This topic has beaten to death at this point; you have one camp that thinks if he had continued to play with McDavid he would've been productive, and you have the other that thinks he would have fallen off the pace. I'm in the latter camp, but I don't think at this point anyone is convincing anyone of anything haha.

I just don't buy the insult thing. My impression was that people loved Puljujarvi here, and the average fan really wanted him to succeed. I don't think the insults on HF are getting to any players anyway, but if you asked a random Oiler fan, especially a younger one, what they thought of Puljujarvi the first two years he was here, I think the response would be overwhelmingly positive. I can understand if something happened in the room, that's different. But I just don't believe these guys are affected by what is said about them online. You go into any restaurant or bar in Edmonton, even if you're a nothing fourth liner, and you are getting the best treatment of anyone around. I don't think that can even be argued.

I find it funny that Puljujarvi ran away like some Vampire Diaries drama queen after he thinks he got insulted. Now that's what I call a Drama Queen Diva

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I find it funny that Puljujarvi ran away like some Vampire Diaries drama queen after he thinks he got insulted. Now that's what I call a Drama Queen Diva
Ran away?

I don't think you really understand what you're talking about, if he thought it was a better situation for him to go home and work on his game, good for him.

He ran away from nothing, he was not under contract.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019

Yeah I don't want to be one that's pushing the others behind my opinion. But I can say there's been lots and lots of posts by others, in which they hate how much Pulju's been thrown between different lines. Plenty of media articles about that too.

And the insult thing... He was liked for quite a while, but then his threads somehow turned terrible, even a title. Insults after insults, week after week, practically no-one defending him. It took a bit of searching, but here's comments after one game (trust me this is just a fraction of the insults):

I honestly think he might be mentally slow, or at least incredibly juvenile still.
The kid doesn't piss a drop put there.
You couple that with his novice developed brain and you get what you get.
He might be dumber than Yakupov.
He has the hockey IQ of a tree stump right now.
Praising him for showing up to the rink and tying his own laces is not a thing anymore?
The coaches recognize hes as dumb as a post and he has rocks for hands
He picks his nose with his tongue. The only thing he is impacting right now is his nostril
Honestly, he’s dumb as hell.

You know some players actually have feelings so if he happened to hear (/read) about the posts he maybe felt he wasn't too liked over here. Not saying that was the main reason anyway. His game didn't develope well enough, but some posters basically hijacked his threads and it looked like school bullying.

Last edited:

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Why would the media? They do this every year and make stuff up as soon as a player leaves.

To be fair, several media heads on Oilers now were already wondering where JP's head was at even after his first season, usually questioning his maturity and his effort during practice.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
To be fair, several media heads on Oilers now were already wondering where JP's head was at even after his first season, usually questioning his maturity and his effort during practice.

On the other hand many over here thought he was doing better than how people remember it now. Whatever the reasons were his game didn't develop as I hoped, but there certainly were positive articles about him during the first 1,5 years. Also many articles wondering why he was used as he was. It's easy to talk about eye tests as that can't be proved, but statistically he was doing pretty well as the youngest player in the league. The last games were more difficult, but at the time he was sitting more than playing.

Are the Edmonton Oilers doing right by Jesse Puljujarvi?

Last edited:

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015
If he puts on the orange sweater again his trade value goes up. It'll show that he has matured and is a team player. Holland would be dumb not to try to pump up his numbers/value before a trade at least. If he can add value by staying, even better.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
They aren't going to kick a guy like RNH off the best PP unit in the league to pump up someone's value.

I remember Puljujarvi doing a very good job in front of the net on the PP and in general during his NHL games here. Could be an improvement over Chiasson.

If Pulju does well on a line with McDavid. Why would he want to go anywhere else?

As Duul noted there is rotating spot on the PP that he could take over.

I would like to keep Puljujarvi minimum 3 more years to know what we have forsure. Unfortunately kids today seem to hold grudges. Barring a miraculous turn around I would think someone's bad blood will make Puljujarvi time back with the Oilers short term.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Have you not lived in Edmonton for the last 40 years. The media here is notorious for sewer our players and trying to drive them out of town. Each year at least one player gets that honor.
Sure the Tom Poti’s and Rem Murray’s. Yakupov, Schultz those guys deserved it. Schultz is currently being ran out of Pittsburgh for the same BS. Our media will ride guys but they generally don’t make shit up for the sake of it.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
As Duul noted there is rotating spot on the PP that he could take over.

I would like to keep Puljujarvi minimum 3 more years to know what we have forsure. Unfortunately kids today seem to hold grudges. Barring a miraculous turn around I would think someone's bad blood will make Puljujarvi time back with the Oilers short term.

I don't really see Pulju as a net-front guy.

I'd say one of his main weaknesses over here was using his body for positioning. He'd go into board battles, stand completely upright a foot away from someone and just push with his arms. It's probably one of the things that drove the coaches nuts.

mirasane

Apr 5, 2006
The year in Europe seems to have taught Pulju some humility if he is ready to consider playing in Edmonton again. He should have done as Yamamoto did going from a touted NHL prospect step down to AHL regular and working his ass off to get his game NHL ready. If he had done so he might now be where Yamamoto is instead of being a recluse in Europe without a clear direction where his career is going.

One big question with Pulju is the fact that will he ever be NHL ready or if he is, what is the right role for him. It might be that his skillset in the end isn't enough for a top6 role but he should change his play to be more efficient in a 3rd or 4th line role.

Finnish national team coach Jukka Jalonen was interviewed after this FEL season about which players from Finnish league would be immediately NHL ready. His answer was that the only one was Juho Lammikko.

Lammikko played in Kärpät with Pulju, so the next question was, why doesn't he see Jesse as NHL ready. Here is free translation of the answer:
"I am not so sure about Pulju. If I was a head coach of an NHL team aiming to playoffs I wouldn't take Pulju to either top2 lines"
"I he was different kind of player he could now take a 3rd or 4th line role in the NHL. If he could play penalty kill effectively, who wouldn't want to have a player this mobile and athletic who could also score every now and then"
"But Jesse's game speed the skill of his hands isn't good enough for top2 lines. The way he receives passes and his shooting just isn't in the level it should be if you want to play in NHL in that role. Of course everyone can't have as good hands, but you need to have enough skills to have good enough puck control"

I'm not sure if the year in Finland did any good for Pulju. In Oulu he seemed to have a quite free role to play with his strengths instead of developing his weaknesses.

If Pulju still wants to aim high he would return to Edmonton and be ready to play a whole season in Bakersfield if that is what is needed.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
The year in Europe seems to have taught Pulju some humility if he is ready to consider playing in Edmonton again. He should have done as Yamamoto did going from a touted NHL prospect step down to AHL regular and working his ass off to get his game NHL ready. If he had done so he might now be where Yamamoto is instead of being a recluse in Europe without a clear direction where his career is going.

One big question with Pulju is the fact that will he ever be NHL ready or if he is, what is the right role for him. It might be that his skillset in the end isn't enough for a top6 role but he should change his play to be more efficient in a 3rd or 4th line role.

Finnish national team coach Jukka Jalonen was interviewed after this FEL season about which players from Finnish league would be immediately NHL ready. His answer was that the only one was Juho Lammikko.

Lammikko played in Kärpät with Pulju, so the next question was, why doesn't he see Jesse as NHL ready. Here is free translation of the answer:
"I am not so sure about Pulju. If I was a head coach of an NHL team aiming to playoffs I wouldn't take Pulju to either top2 lines"
"I he was different kind of player he could now take a 3rd or 4th line role in the NHL. If he could play penalty kill effectively, who wouldn't want to have a player this mobile and athletic who could also score every now and then"
"But Jesse's game speed the skill of his hands isn't good enough for top2 lines. The way he receives passes and his shooting just isn't in the level it should be if you want to play in NHL in that role. Of course everyone can't have as good hands, but you need to have enough skills to have good enough puck control"

I'm not sure if the year in Finland did any good for Pulju. In Oulu he seemed to have a quite free role to play with his strengths instead of developing his weaknesses.

If Pulju still wants to aim high he would return to Edmonton and be ready to play a whole season in Bakersfield if that is what is needed.

Thank you for the translation! Jukka's words were slightly lighter (a couple of quite-words missing), but that's irrelevant. Jalonen is trying to get to the NHL and there's been times when he's downplayed Finnish players, but anyway this caused some stir in Finland. It was surprising as Pulju was arguably the best Finn in the last national team tournament and got praise from many other hockey persons.

Pulju probably should've been kept down for longer, I agree with that. But the situation with Yamamoto was somewhat different as Yamamoto was handled in a different way when he was up. It's been mentioned so many times over here, too, so I don't think this is a too bold statement from me.

I also agree with the free role in Oulu. One year could be fine, as I saw very clear development in many areas, but two or more years could be detrimental to his development. However, I disagree with Bakersfield as Pulju has shown he can play at the NHL level. If the Oilers don't think he's at that level (they do though) it's better to trade him as there's teams that do think so.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
I don't really see Pulju as a net-front guy.

I'd say one of his main weaknesses over here was using his body for positioning. He'd go into board battles, stand completely upright a foot away from someone and just push with his arms. It's probably one of the things that drove the coaches nuts.

I agree. He did develop his physical side, but the process was quite slow for someone so big. Especially in the first half of his NHL career he had some balance problems, maybe because he was still getting used to his growing body, so maybe that made him hesitant. I agree that could've affected how McLellan felt about him.

I'd like to see where he's going now as there was some clear development during this season. At times he looked like a bull in the national team so that could turn into his strength if he realises it and if he's willing to keep doing that constantly. But he already scored many of his goals in front of the net and in many of them his long reach played a part.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Sounds like chances are improving to get him back over here. I’d like to see them pursue Haula to be the 3C. There are opportunities in the top 6 for Jesse to compete for but if he needs time on the third line then at least he’s got a fellow countryman who has some play making ability and is also a strong defensive player. It would allow Jesse to play against lesser comp but still have decent line mates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad