Jesse Puljujarvi Part 7: No NHL in '19-20 for Jesse P.

Status
Not open for further replies.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
He'd be foolish not t have an out clause on his Liga contract. If he does so long as he signs before the designated cutoff date next year (typically Jan 1) he could play for the Oilers. But we don't know when that date will be or even if or when there will be an NHL season next year.
Considering how they dealt with things, I wouldn't be so sure about it.:laugh:

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I think Puljujarvi would be welcome on our right side if he came back, yes? He could easily bump Archibald or Chaisson. Kassian's position on the top line isn't written in stone either. If Puljujarvi plays well he could move up from the third line for sure.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I don't think puljujarvi will be here long term if he comes back. He will gain some value and leave town via trade.
as long as it happens on the team's terms, not his.

However, JP has to accept that even if we see him as a top six talent, he may need to spend time in the bottom six. But, we can promise some top six time. The problem he might have is that there is a mammoth difference in the quality of centers and role from top six to 3rd line.

The ideal is for us is for JP and Yama to be our top six RWs.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019

However, JP has to accept that even if we see him as a top six talent, he may need to spend time in the bottom six. But, we can promise some top six time. The problem he might have is that there is a mammoth difference in the quality of centers and role from top six to 3rd line.

When Puljujarvi's been benched in his Finnish team or the national team he's always had a good attitude about it. That's why I have a hard time believing in those "he demanded top-6 time" things.

However, I believe he really longs for an opportunity in the top PP unit and if he's offered the role he had in his last year (almost completely bottom-6 with no PP usage) he'll probably stay in the KHL or other leagues in Europe.

It may be somewhat different now or in the future, but so far all he knows is no-one really scores points in the Oilers bottom-6 and for him that would cause even more pressure from the media and the fans. I personally think either the Oilers let him know they want to give him a chance as a top-6 player or trade him as I'm not sure it's good for the team or Pulju to have him buried in the bottom-6.

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta

I would rather trade puljujarvi + Lavoie + Russel for Christian Dvorak ;)

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
- Holland talks with Jesse and his agent and tells that the Oilers want to see Jesse become a top6-player and he'll get a chance to be the shooter/QB on the PP. However, he says there's no free lunch and Pulju will need to work hard and be worth the opportunities

- Puljujarvi is more mature and feels he now has a chance to prove he can be an impact player in the NHL and he realizes that there is a possible place with McDavid now that Drai is centering his own line.

- Pulju comes to the Oilers and explains to the fans that he really needed some time away from Edmonton as he felt he was stuck in a vicious circle in the Oilers. He also says that he never meant anything bad to the Oilers and he's ready to pay back by playing better than ever for the team. Holland says the time was different when Pulju was in the team and there was a lot of pressure as the team was underperforming. The organisation and the team welcome Pulju back, treating him as one player in the team, but giving him the support he needs to adjust better this time.

- Puljujarvi works hard and shows the team he will do whatever he can for it. If he does well he is given opportunities in the first line and the PP, maybe even the first unit. Hopefully he will do great, but if not Holland trades him.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
- Holland talks with Jesse and his agent and tells that the Oilers want to see Jesse become a top6-player and he'll get a chance to be the shooter/QB on the PP. However, he says there's no free lunch and Pulju will need to work hard and be worth the opportunities

- Puljujarvi is more mature and feels he now has a chance to prove he can be an impact player in the NHL and he realizes that there is a possible place with McDavid now that Drai is centering his own line.

- Pulju comes to the Oilers and explains to the fans that he really needed some time away from Edmonton as he felt he was stuck in a vicious circle in the Oilers. He also says that he never meant anything bad to the Oilers and he's ready to pay back by playing better than ever for the team. Holland says the time was different when Pulju was in the team and there was a lot of pressure as the team was underperforming. The organisation and the team welcome Pulju back, treating him as one player in the team, but giving him the support he needs to adjust better this time.

- Puljujarvi works hard and shows the team he will do whatever he can for it. If he does well he is given opportunities in the first line and the PP, maybe even the first unit. Hopefully he will do great, but if not Holland trades him.

If he comes back I dont see him just joining the top PP unit. He will have to earn his way there and may not get his chance until injuries hit.

Reactions: Whyme and MessierII

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
If he comes back I dont see him just joining the top PP unit. He will have to earn his way there and may not get his chance until injuries hit.
#1 power play in the league, I tend to agree with you.

I guess maybe they let him play on the 2nd unit, but that unit really doesn't play much anyway.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The only thing Holland should tell him is that there openings on this team, if JP wants them then prove you deserve them.

Essentially the same thing Holland probably told everyone that he was trying to sign last year or trade for.

We are past the point of playing guys in spots because of their pedigree or draft spot. We need the best players for the position

Reactions: MessierII

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019

I understand that. It's a shame he didn't get the opportunity at the time the PP sucked, now it's more tricky. But it hurts me to watch him have to keep some of his best tools hidden or at least not knowing how he could utilize them in the NHL.

From what I've watched the 2nd PP unit doesn't seem to be getting barely any time, especially when you consider the time it takes to get the puck to the offensive side.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
We are past the point of playing guys in spots because of their pedigree or draft spot. We need the best players for the position

Definitely. But what if(!) you have a player who's best in his position but sits while the other guys play. As you wrote there's no need to make changes when the PP works this well. That's why I feel the Oilers might possibly get more if they trade Pulju as he probably won't be that important in the 3rd line+no PP usage. In that case a good 3C (say Pulju+a pick) might be more important.

On the other hand you never know how things will go, there might be injuries or the PP might stop working and suddenly Pulju could be more important to the team.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Keep JP far away from the best PP in the league.... he didn’t even know where to go on a regular shift.

PP2 time for sure though.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Definitely. But what if(!) you have a player who's best in his position but sits while the other guys play. As you wrote there's no need to make changes when the PP works this well. That's why I feel the Oilers might possibly get more if they trade Pulju as he probably won't be that important in the 3rd line+no PP usage. In that case a good 3C (say Pulju+a pick) might be more important.

On the other hand you never know how things will go, there might be injuries or the PP might stop working and suddenly Pulju could be more important to the team.
This is what JP has to understand.

A guy like KY had to go down to the AHL and wait for a spot. Once it opened up and was given the chance he seized the opportunity.

Ethan Bear changed his approach to the off-season and came in and stole a spot on the blueline. There were injuries and like up front there were openings on the backend. He got his opportunity and never looked back.

Luckily for JP if he does come over the threat of the AHL really isn't there. I don't know what the record is, but I could see JP setting the record for waiver claims if he had a horrible year. A lot of teams would be taking a shot on him.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
When Puljujarvi's been benched in his Finnish team or the national team he's always had a good attitude about it. That's why I have a hard time believing in those "he demanded top-6 time" things.

However, I believe he really longs for an opportunity in the top PP unit and if he's offered the role he had in his last year (almost completely bottom-6 with no PP usage) he'll probably stay in the KHL or other leagues in Europe.

It may be somewhat different now or in the future, but so far all he knows is no-one really scores points in the Oilers bottom-6 and for him that would cause even more pressure from the media and the fans. I personally think either the Oilers let him know they want to give him a chance as a top-6 player or trade him as I'm not sure it's good for the team or Pulju to have him buried in the bottom-6.

There was an interview his last season here where he said he liked playing with Strome and Lucic and just wanted to be on the same line consistently instead of bouncing around the lineup.

Reactions: Whyme

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
There was an interview his last season here where he said he liked playing with Strome and Lucic and just wanted to be on the same line consistently instead of bouncing around the lineup.
The reality is this probably could happen again

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay

The Oilers aren’t getting “more” trading him right now. It’s pretty clear that teams around the league don’t value Jesse or else Holland would of traded him and been done with it.

Their best option is to sign a good 3C, offer a Jesse a 1 year deal and tell him he’s going to have the opportunity to earn a spot in the top 6 and get some time on PP2 but even if he struggle again in a top 6 role they at least have some decent depth to match him with on a third line role.

The Oilers don’t need him, they don’t need to coddle him and bribe him with promises of a top 6 spot to get him over here. They hold all the power here and they can shelve his career if they want to, or until some other team ups their offer, if that ever happens. If he wants back in the NHL his best bet is to re join the team and put the work in. New management, new coaching staff and more depth. Things have changed since he’s left and he won’t find much better of an opportunity then the Oilers to find his NHL game.

Reactions: Oilhawks
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad