Jesse Puljujarvi Part 7: No NHL in '19-20 for Jesse P.

Status
Not open for further replies.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
My question is how he fits into the roster next season if he decides to come back. IMO it's either him or Chiasson.

He cN play both wings and no winger on the team has locked up a spot next to McDavid. If he comes back next season he’ll have every opportunity to get one of those spots.

Reactions: Oilers in NS

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
He cN play both wings and no winger on the team has locked up a spot next to McDavid. If he comes back next season he’ll have every opportunity to get one of those spots.
I'd argue that Kassian's salary suggests he'll be spending a lot of time next to Connor as long as the Drai - RNH - Yamamoto line stays together.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I'd argue that Kassian's salary suggests he'll be spending a lot of time next to Connor as long as the Drai - RNH - Yamamoto line stays together.

I doubt Kassian stays there long term. After his suspension he was playing mostly in the bottom six. Long term they probably want someone with more offensive ability in that role.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

A 3rd liner salary dictates that he'll get more time on the top line? A respected coach like Tippett isn't going to stick a player on a particular line because of salary.

Anyway, Kassian is only there because nobody earned that spot so it's entirely up for grabs and I like Kassian but he's certainly not locked in by any means.
Puljujarvi has every opportunity to earn that spot if he's willing to put in the work to earn it. That goes for both top line wings.

Man, the Oilers are really lucky that Yamamoto panned out (or at least looks to have). They'd be in a world of hurt if he didn't.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
My question is how he fits into the roster next season if he decides to come back. IMO it's either him or Chiasson.

Trade Chiasson and redirect that cap towards a 3C. Jesse gets the opportunity to compete for a spot in the top 6 and if he can’t clearly beat out a guy like Kassian then he starts on line 3. In that spot get him a good C and give him consistency in line mates and assignments.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
A 3rd liner salary dictates that he'll get more time on the top line? A respected coach like Tippett isn't going to stick a player on a particular line because of salary.

Anyway, Kassian is only there because nobody earned that spot so it's entirely up for grabs and I like Kassian but he's certainly not locked in by any means.
Puljujarvi has every opportunity to earn that spot if he's willing to put in the work to earn it. That goes for both top line wings.

Man, the Oilers are really lucky that Yamamoto panned out (or at least looks to have). They'd be in a world of hurt if he didn't.
The 'third liner' salary and the 34 even strength points in 59 games.

Kassian is a good fit on that line. They didn't commit to him for four years because they think he can pull his own weight in a limited role. He has proven chemistry with McDavid and he brings a unique element to that line.

I see Puljujarvi having to earn his way into those scoring roles. Which is why I think he's in a similar situation as Chiasson next season.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
The 'third liner' salary and the 34 even strength points in 59 games.

Kassian is a good fit on that line. They didn't commit to him for four years because they think he can pull his own weight in a limited role. He has proven chemistry with McDavid and he brings a unique element to that line.

I see Puljujarvi having to earn his way into those scoring roles. Which is why I think he's in a similar situation as Chiasson next season.

They didn't pay him to be McDavid's running mate. They paid him as a player who can move up and down the lineup when needed and because he's a part of the leadership group. I don't think Tippett would have any issue pulling Kassian off that line if he struggled for a time (which is inevitable with a player like him in a top line role).
I do think that Kassian fits well on that line but that spot is certainly there for the taking next season if a higher skilled player earns his way onto it.

Pulju will have to earn it but it "should be" an open competition this offseason and if he wants it, he'll be one of the competitors.

Last edited:
Reactions: Samus44

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017

I have no problem with KAss. The man can skate, fight, protect, and chip in with some offence. He seems well liked in dressing room

Reactions: Duke74 and o98

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017

Its funny with Yama. I was out for 3 games in Edmonton in 2018 (Home opener, Pittsburgh, Nashville) . Yama played in home opener against Boston and actually scored but at time I thought he was outta his element. Fast forward, Tippett puts together that line and BOOOOOOOMMM. It actually had made Nuge a more dynamic player. Yama has turned into THE HONEY BADGER

Furious Nerd

Jan 18, 2018

Athanasiou, Ennis, Kassian, Neal, Yamamoto, Archibald, Nygard, even Benson are all likely ahead of Pulju for a spot on McDavid’s line.

Pulju would have to be much better than he has been to beat any of the above out.

I hope he makes it but the team is much deeper on wing now than it was when Pulju was here.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Athanasiou, Ennis, Kassian, Neal, Yamamoto, Archibald, Nygard, even Benson are all likely ahead of Pulju for a spot on McDavid’s line.

Pulju would have to be much better than he has been to beat any of the above out.

I hope he makes it but the team is much deeper on wing now than it was when Pulju was here.

Its stuff like this that makes me shake my head.

Pulj at age 17/18 was arguably better than what i saw from AA this year. Has the physical attributes to be ten times the player Ennis is. Is at least slightly more talented than Kassian. Skates way better than Neal. Has the size over Yamamoto/Archibald. Has shown more than Nygard and is flat out better than Benson, so far.

We have a quantity of wingers but really not much quality. Yama has a spot on the dry line. AA is struggling. Ennis likely will not be with the team unfortunately and hasnt shown much chem with mcd. The rest are far more suited to a bottom 6 role... If Pulj comes back a spot on Mcd line "should" be his to lose.

I would start next season top 6 with Neal McDavid Pulj and RNH Draisaitl Yama. Have AA our 3rd line center with Archibald and Kassian on his wings. Bottom line of Nygard Kharia Chaisson. Haas and Benson extra forwards. Hopefully Holland can pick up a good bottom 6 center to push those guys.

I really like those lines.

Last edited:

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Athanasiou - McDavid - Yam
Nuge - Draisaitl - Puljujarvi
Ennis - Haas - Kassian
Nygard - Sheahan - Archibald
Neal/Chiasson

I have a hard time picturing where certain players fit on this team. Pulju would need to be in a top 6 role. Not sure where Athanasiou and Ennis work long term.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Ennis - Haas - Kassian
Neal/Chiasson

I have a hard time picturing where certain players fit on this team. Pulju would need to be in a top 6 role. Not sure where Athanasiou and Ennis work long term.

I don’t break up the best line in the NHL.

Nuge - Drai - Yam
AA - 97 - Kassian
Nygard - Haas - Pulju
Archi - JJ - Benson/Chiasson

I think given the opportunity Haas has a lot to offer the club. Would like to see another RHC brought in that can win face offs and PK.

I think playing Pulju with a couple of Euro’s that weren’t on the club 2 years ago could be a decent idea. See if they can build some chemistry.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I don’t break up the best line in the NHL.

Nuge - Drai - Yam
AA - 97 - Kassian
Nygard - Haas - Pulju
Archi - JJ - Benson/Chiasson

I think given the opportunity Haas has a lot to offer the club. Would like to see another RHC brought in that can win face offs and PK.

I think playing Pulju with a couple of Euro’s that weren’t on the club 2 years ago could be a decent idea. See if they can build some chemistry.
So you’d rather bring back Pulju than keep Ennis/Sheahan? Even Neal isn’t going anywhere without a compliance buyout.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Ennis - Haas - Kassian
Neal/Chiasson

Ennis isnt signed and most likely won't be.

AA plays center ive heard. Barring a massive turn around in his career he is more depth scoring than a fixture of the top 6 moving forward on this team. He will get playing time with McDavid im sure but i highly doubt that will be the bulk of his minutes. The second line is set for next year and hopefully the next 5+. His PP time is gonzo. He will be part of the rarely used second unit.

Barring something pleasantly surprising during this playoffs i wouldn't be surprised if he even played for us next year. Contract negotiations are going to be brutal. He is a middle 6 winger with a couple years with good point production on the worst team in the nhl. Hes been given glorious opportunity far above what he deserves and is seriously down the priorities to lock up long term.

He is already overpaid. His play in sharp decline. The cap is not going up. His usage/opportunity obviously going way down.

The only place that we really even can afford to slot him in is as our #3 center.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Even when I don't believe that Jesse will come back to the NHL for the next season, let me play a hypothetical.
How and when will he be joining the team if the Oilers offer him a contract, at the start of the season or into the playoffs?
And if he is only allowed to join the team after the current playoffs are over, can there be a Liiga or whatever league clause where he would be playing overseas before joining the Oilers for the true season start?

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Even when I don't believe that Jesse will come back to the NHL for the next season, let me play a hypothetical.
How and when will he be joining the team if the Oilers offer him a contract, at the start of the season or into the playoffs?
And if he is only allowed to join the team after the current playoffs are over, can there be a Liiga or whatever league clause where he would be playing overseas before joining the Oilers for the true season start?
He'd be foolish not t have an out clause on his Liga contract. If he does so long as he signs before the designated cutoff date next year (typically Jan 1) he could play for the Oilers. But we don't know when that date will be or even if or when there will be an NHL season next year.

Reactions: nabob

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
So you’d rather bring back Pulju than keep Ennis/Sheahan? Even Neal isn’t going anywhere without a compliance buyout.

yes I would. Not a big fan of Sheahan, think Haas is a much better player.

Haas over Sheahan, Pulju over Ennis. I’d be alright with the Oilers resigning the UFA Ennis, but it would have to be cheap. I think Puljujarvi is too valuable of an asset to throw away just to keep a player like Ennis

I’m also factoring in a compliance buyout or Neal being moved.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Ennis isnt signed and most likely won't be.

AA plays center ive heard. Barring a massive turn around in his career he is more depth scoring than a fixture of the top 6 moving forward on this team. He will get playing time with McDavid im sure but i highly doubt that will be the bulk of his minutes. The second line is set for next year and hopefully the next 5+. His PP time is gonzo. He will be part of the rarely used second unit.

Barring something pleasantly surprising during this playoffs i wouldn't be surprised if he even played for us next year. Contract negotiations are going to be brutal. He is a middle 6 winger with a couple years with good point production on the worst team in the nhl. Hes been given glorious opportunity far above what he deserves and is seriously down the priorities to lock up long term.

He is already overpaid. His play in sharp decline. The cap is not going up. His usage/opportunity obviously going way down.

The only place that we really even can afford to slot him in is as our #3 center.

he scored 30 goals last season. His play isn’t in sharp decline lol. He had a poor half a season on a dumpster fire of a team.

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
AA better step it up.

Ennis is good spare part to fill in shortages of talent.

Jones is as good as he chooses to be. I'm guessing that he enjoys his time off....his preseason is not great. Great upside thou.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
He'd be foolish not t have an out clause on his Liga contract. If he does so long as he signs before the designated cutoff date next year (typically Jan 1) he could play for the Oilers. But we don't know when that date will be or even if or when there will be an NHL season next year.
Most contracts from other leagues have an NHL clause in them.

KHL is one of the few that doesnt.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Next year will be a clean slate, heck even these playins could change all the lineups.

If Puljujarvi returns next year he could be better than Yamamoto as our best winger. Also, RNH-Drai-Yama line could be broken as soon as August 2020. We all thought Drai-McD-Kassian was going to beca thing for next decade. Things change. Pulju will have an uphill task for sure but he has the skill to get there.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Next season's lineup if the NHL allows a compliance buyout.

RNH-Mcdavid-Kassian
Hall-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
AA-Haas-JP
Nygard-Khaira-Archibald
Chaisson, Gagner

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Bear
Jones-Green
Benning

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The guy hasn't proven he can play either his strong or weak side at the NHL level.

poolparty98

Aug 6, 2017
Next season's lineup if the NHL allows a compliance buyout.

RNH-Mcdavid-Kassian
Hall-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
AA-Haas-JP
Nygard-Khaira-Archibald
Chaisson, Gagner

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Bear
Jones-Green
Benning

If thats the team we ice next season, gonna be a fun time in the city come May and June!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad