Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi Part 11: Solid Return Season Completed, How Does Next Season Go For the Big Finn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaptah2

Apr 30, 2020
Pulju is still young. All indicators say he's already a very important player, and everybody can see he's still a bit clumsy at times, so there can still be significant upside. Sign him with term now, or be sorry later.

Kane has been a very good player for Oilers for 31 games. Unfortunately most have forgot his issues in the past. I'd still be very cautious signing him past another 1-2 year deal, and certainly would like Pulju to be an absolute priority over him.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
My 2 cents on the Kane v Pulju debate.

I think Pulju has been under performing his true value, and Kane has been over performing his. I like both players. But if the question is, who do we sign long term? You lock up Jesse and laugh as he proceeds to make that contract look like a bargain.

Last edited:

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011

200.gif

STFU Tychkowski

Ehhh there’s room in the middle. Jesse is a force but 2 goals in 27 games in our top 6 is unacceptable.

Reactions: McDavidKindaFast

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
I can see why there is such a rift. Pulj provides defensive results that benefit his linemates, but clearly isn't a natural offensively and never will be. Sports entertainment types only care about shallow narratives they can spin out of basic stats and scripted quotes from press conferences because their target audience is casual fans who want dumbed down summaries rather than comprehensive coverage. They aren't going to dig much deeper than that, and as we've seen in the past - they generally don't understand the game enough to provide informed takes on their own anyways.

There is always going to be a lot of friction between reporters and the hockey nerds who live and breath hockey.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
Ehhh there’s room in the middle. Jesse is a force but 2 goals in 27 games in our top 6 is unacceptable.
So you would say RNH 23 game goaless streak was unacceptable? Even though he was assist per game and helping the team win?

From what stats that been put up. I think what is being said that even if he is not putting up "goals" currently. He is a net positive on every line he's been on, creating far more opportunities to score than without and reducing GA by a drastic margin.
That is valuable even without the goal scoring.

If the goals do come, and I think they will.
I would not be surpised in the future if Bison King is in the running for the Selke.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Kid is turning into the elite 2-way beast we always hoped for. Just needs to polish up his finish this summer and he could be dominant next season. He's doing pretty much everything except finishing plays at a top end level now, absolutely hounding the opposition all over the ice. So glad we're not watching him do it on the Canes with his buddy Aho. Chia would have traded him for a 3rd round pick for sure.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
So JP is the best player in the entire NHL at creating goals for while being a better defensive player than Barkov.

That's levels nobody has ever hit before. His contact is gonna be like 10mil

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Sure, your heroism is admirable.

Thats what the advanced stats say tho. The Oilers record is also completely slanted with him in the line up.

Not sure how I'm being heroic. Those stats dictate his market value and land him over 8 easy

Are people seriously trying to have their cake and eat it too now?

Boast JPs advanced stats as top best in NHL and then think he should get lowball, team friendly contract.

In what universe?

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Thats what the advanced stats say tho.

No it says he has a significant positive effect on the ice in ALL situations for the Oilers.
The Oilers record is also completely slanted with him in the line up.

No, it's correlation, he has a significant positive impact during his time, so the Oilers' record tends to be better with better players on the ice more often. Seems straight forward.
Not sure how I'm being heroic.
You know exactly how you are, but that's fine, you've decided to die on this hill.

Jesse Puljujarvi is having a positive impact on the ice for the Oilers and makes the Oilers a better team. He isn't the best player in the league and I would like more standard scoring from him, but he's a significant positive.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

I think Pulju has been under performing his true value, and Kane has been over performing his. I like both players. But if the question is, who do we sign long term? You lock up Jesse and laugh as he proceeds to make that contract look like a bargain.

Long term, you lock up Jesse. Given his age and history and the fact we've got a few high-end forward prospects in the pipeline, I don't think I'd go more than two or three years with Kane.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Thats what the advanced stats say tho. The Oilers record is also completely slanted with him in the line up.

Not sure how I'm being heroic. Those stats dictate his market value and land him over 8 easy

Are people seriously trying to have their cake and eat it too now?

Boast JPs advanced stats as top best in NHL and then think he should get lowball, team friendly contract.

In what universe?

It's possible to recognize JPs positive impact on the ice while acknowledging his less than stellar boxcars are going to keep his contract number down, but I guess some people don't do nuance.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
It's possible to recognize JPs positive impact on the ice while acknowledging his less than stellar boxcars are going to keep his contract number down, but I guess some people don't do nuance.
Honestly, not that I want him to no score, but if it means locking him long term at closer to $4M then $5+M, the Oilers win on that deal so hard.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Long term, you lock up Jesse. Given his age and history and the fact we've got a few high-end forward prospects in the pipeline, I don't think I'd go more than two or three years with Kane.
Basically it comes down to the hope that Kane leaves money and term on the table for the good of the team. So in other words it is a big stretch, especially since he can look to RNH and Hyman as comparables, and quite rightly. That should be okay. It's a cap world. You have to make choices.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Kid is turning into the elite 2-way beast we always hoped for. Just needs to polish up his finish this summer and he could be dominant next season. He's doing pretty much everything except finishing plays at a top end level now, absolutely hounding the opposition all over the ice. So glad we're not watching him do it on the Canes with his buddy Aho. Chia would have traded him for a 3rd round pick for sure.
When you read posts like "elite" in describing JP, this is where the debate comes out. The guy isn't going from a 3 goal scorer his last 30 to 30

Suggesting he needs a "a bit of polish" when watching Kanes goals and how he gets them vs JP in the same amount of games, and then saying he could be dominant in goal scoring with a tweek is asinine

"Finishing plays at the top end level" What a crazy statement. When was the last time JP walked in a puck from the boards wide, took a puck to the net, wrapped, or deked a dman and goalie, received a pass and switched speeds on the goalie? Serious question

In what universe is this guy a summer away from being an elite goalscorer?

I know, I know, I'm embarrasing myself with these questions. We should offer him 6x6 asap

Reactions: Messrules11

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Basically it comes down to the hope that Kane leaves money and term on the table for the good of the team. So in other words it is a big stretch, especially since he can look to RNH and Hyman as comparables, and quite rightly. That should be okay. It's a cap world. You have to make choices.
The choice is to resign Kane w/ McD. they have been amazing. The cap causalities after that should be looked at for assets

No f'in way any era of reality does JP become as effective as Kane on McD's wing despite the age gap

Kaptah2

Apr 30, 2020
The choice is to resign Kane w/ McD. they have been amazing. The cap causalities after that should be looked at for assets

No f'in way any era of reality does JP become as effective as Kane on McD's wing despite the age gap
Pulju will be resigned, Kane won't. Prepare yourself.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005

There was a play tonight where Kane battled for the puck along the wall, into the corner and came out with it behind the net. Circles the net and lays it right out front for Puljujarvi who promptly overskated the puck and watched it go right between his legs. No shot.

I’m not putting JP down, just saying if the roles were reversed (and they wouldn’t be because JP doesn’t win that battle or make that pass) Kane buries that pass right into the back of the net 9/10 times.

He’s a goal scorer. Can’t teach it, but you can buy it. If the Oilers have the money and they choose to walk on Kane, it will be a blunder of monumental proportions.

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
When you read posts like "elite" in describing JP, this is where the debate comes out. The guy isn't going from a 3 goal scorer his last 30 to 30

Suggesting he needs a "a bit of polish" when watching Kanes goals and how he gets them vs JP in the same amount of games, and then saying he could be dominant in goal scoring with a tweek is asinine

"Finishing plays at the top end level" What a crazy statement. When was the last time JP walked in a puck from the boards wide, took a puck to the net, wrapped, or deked a dman and goalie, received a pass and switched speeds on the goalie? Serious question

I know, I know, I'm embarrasing myself with these questions. We should offer him 6x6 asap
Your post is BANG ON here. I always wonder what some people are watching when they watch him. He is not even close to being a top end finisher. he is barely a mid level finisher lol. That isn't hate either. I want every Oiler to do well because I am emotionally invested into the team.

Anybody who uses the phrases that you showed others using like "elite" are 100% fanboys.

By now, you would think he could carry an NHL puck on his own and distribute it with ease. Not stumble 24/7 when the puck comes to him, etc. He still looks like what Drai looked like when we had to send him back to Juniors and the AHL. He's a step above that of course, but his is so clumsy.

As soon as somebody passes him a puck in stride I just shudder knowing some bad play is about to be executed.

I think Anything over 4 million is an overpay right now.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Your post is BANG ON here. I always wonder what some people are watching when they watch him. He is not even close to being a top end finisher. he is barely a mid level finisher lol. That isn't hate either. I want every Oiler to do well because I am emotionally invested into the team.

Anybody who uses the phrases that you showed others using like "elite" are 100% fanboys.

By now, you would think he could carry an NHL puck on his own and distribute it with ease. Not stumble 24/7 when the puck comes to him, etc. He still looks like what Drai looked like when we had to send him back to Juniors and the AHL. He's a step above that of course, but his is so clumsy.

As soon as somebody passes him a puck in stride I just shudder knowing some bad play is about to be executed.

I think Anything over 4 million is an overpay right now.

He needs a skills coach in the worst possible way. He has size and he sorta knows how to disrupt plays but his skating is still super awkward and his inability to handle passes well enough consistently is still a problem.

IMO, Kotkaniemi's long term contract is a decent comparable.

Reactions: bobbythebrain

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

Let's just say, he's the next Valeri Nichushkin :) Except better!!

I don't pay Pulju top dollar either. The analytics look great, but you still get paid for results. Loads of ice time with McDrai and he hasn't shown the scoring tough needed for a big payday. A bump up around ~3-3.5M for 2-3 years I think makes sense.

Reactions: bobbythebrain
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad