Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi Part 11: Solid Return Season Completed, How Does Next Season Go For the Big Finn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
McCurdy had JP ranked over Kane as a more important player that game in his grades. True story. He graded JP better than Kane that game:laugh:

He also has JP as the prime target this season over Kane. JP 33 points in the top 6 on 54 games, Kane 26 points in 33. Yet McCurdy stresses JP is the prime cap allocation. What a dunce! McCurdy has always been on the level of Eklund when it comes to hockey talk, and you quoted him. oh brother

Does it feel good looking silly?

But oh wait, really looking forward to someone posting how JP's advanced stats were better in both games..let the tweets commence

Kane is shooting at a 16% clip right now. His career average is around 10%. If you think allocating precious cap space to a 31 year old forward riding a heater playing with the best player in the world you've learned sweet FA from the last few years of Oilers hockey.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Rengorlex

Aug 25, 2021
Kane is shooting at a 16% clip right now. His career average is around 10%. If you think allocating precious cap space to a 31 year old forward riding a heater playing with the best player in the world you've learned sweet FA from the last few years of Oilers hockey.
100%.

Kane is a luxury we likely can't afford to keep.

Pulju is a glue player that we absolutely must keep.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
100%.

Kane is a luxury we likely can't afford to keep.

Pulju is a glue player that we absolutely must keep.

I like Kane the player and what he brings to the team. If they can get him signed for a reasonable deal, great, but there's no way he should be a higher priority than JP or even Yamomoto.

Reactions: TheNumber4

Geardedandbearded

May 29, 2019
Kane is excellent and I would love to keep him around. However, unlike pulju who will continue to get better every year of his new deal(even 8 years), Kane is likely to start seeing a fall off every year. Something to consider for future cap allocation.

Pulju does not have the box cars right now. He goes on a line and he acts as a multiplier; any line he’s on performs 10% better(pulled out of thin air) even though he doesn’t put up individual results. The best players in the world are those who make those around them better. If pulju had the boxcars we would truly have a big 3. His development and underlying numbers suggest he could get there in the future. However, it has to be conceded he may not drastically improve his ability to finish. Even so, that multiplier effect has value and I would argue may be greater than Kane’s value to the team.

Imo, Pulju should absolutely be priority one among Kane, pulju, and yam

russ99

Jun 9, 2011

This combination of pushing Kane on a SP% heater supposedly boosted by McDavid and the line in the sand on Puljujarvi’s value without points recently, or pretty much always without McDavid is hilarious.

Sure, lets explain away actual goals to prop up your sad religion, and claim the exact same factor reduces value of one player and doesn’t reduce at all another player.

I have another theory, curious If there is a way to prove it: Puljujarvi is good when he can skate and use his physically large frame. I maintain this is most apparent and useful in transition either way, which is what is showing up on the shot metrics, not necessarily the “line driver” fallacy the stat heads drool over. Where he gets into trouble is behind the circles, he‘s not particularly effective and he’s especially uncreative on the wall, his positioning is average at best, he takes up space in the crease but isn’t especially effective in either shooting or setting up opponents there, the way a player like Hyman or Kane is, and obviously the finishing is Lucic level bad.

Last edited:

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
This combination of pushing Kane on a SP% heater supposedly boosted by McDavid and the line in the sand on Puljujarvi’s value without points recently, or pretty much always without McDavid is hilarious.

Sure, lets explain away actual goals to prop up your sad religion, and claim the exact same factor reduces value of one player and doesn’t reduce at all another player.

I have another theory, curious If there is a way to prove it: Puljujarvi is good when he can skate and use his physically large frame. I maintain this is most apparent and useful in transition either way, which is what is showing up on the shot metrics, not necessarily the “line driver” fallacy the stat heads drool over. Where he gets into trouble is behind the circles, he‘s not particularly effective and he’s especially uncreative on the wall, his positioning is average at best, he takes up space in the crease but isn’t especially effective in either shooting or setting up opponents there, the way a player like Hyman or Kane is, and obviously the finishing is Lucic level bad.

Yup.

Last edited:

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

IDK man, you'd have to be dishonest or pretty dumb to think that mentioning Kane's obvious SH% heater is "explaining away" anything or is about "reducing the value" of a player. Sounds like you're not able to look at this stuff without bringing emotions into it.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

I like Kane as much as the next guy and want him re-signed, but him being on a SP% heater is actually fact. It was fact when Kassian had a SP% heater which of couse, massively declined after he re-signed that juicy contract of his. JP long term is a much better move for the Oilers, but I'd love to bring Kane back too assuming the money works.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I like Kane as much as the next guy and want him re-signed, but him being on a SP% heater is actually fact. It was fact when Kassian had a SP% heater which of couse, massively declined after he re-signed that juicy contract of his. JP long term is a much better move for the Oilers, but I'd love to bring Kane back too assuming the money works.
I don't think comparing Kane to Kassian is a good comparison. Kane has legitimately produced throughout his career with whomever he plays with and has proved durable. Kassian had a hot streak for 15 games ONCE with McDavid, but really has done nothing but float and get injured the last few years.

Give Pulju a longer contract, sure, due to his age. But I think if they can sign Kane to a 4 year deal, they should jump at it.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
IDK man, you'd have to be dishonest or pretty dumb to think that mentioning Kane's obvious SH% heater is "explaining away" anything or is about "reducing the value" of a player. Sounds like you're not able to look at this stuff without bringing emotions into it.

Dishonest and dumb is refering to Kanes shooting % as his primary value while acting like the guy hasn't gained the zone all by himself several times a game. Or skating the puck out of trouble or taking on dmen to make a play

Meanwhile one would be hardpressed to recall JP taking 5 strides with the puck in the last 20 games, or taking on a defender or going around one with puck control.

Your bs sh% theory is nonsense

Kaptah2

Apr 30, 2020
Dishonest and dumb is refering to Kanes shooting % as his primary value while acting like the guy hasn't gained the zone all by himself several times a game. Or skating the puck out of trouble or taking on dmen to make a play

Meanwhile one would be hardpressed to recall JP taking 5 strides with the puck in the last 20 games, or taking on a defender or going around one with puck control.

Your bs sh% theory is nonsense
Nice goal by Pulju, do you think?

Reactions: oilers'72 and nabob

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Off the snide

Only a matter of time. The good thing about his finishing being a work in progress is it gives the org the potential opportunity to lock him up at a bit of a discount. Hopefully they are able to

Reactions: TheNumber4

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
Perfect outcome imo he doesn't produce too much to demand a Nurse level overpay in a contract year. Hopefully Holland has a little sense left or gets replaced.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
IMO they should offer Jesse Nuge money (5.125M per) for 8 years, and be pretty happy if he signs the deal.
I don't mind it, but I wonder if they can get him for a bit less because of the low spots of production. Not that he hasn't been effective, but guys are still largely paid for the boxcars they put up.

Maybe they can get away with something like

6yrs between $3.75-4.75M

And Yamo

6yrs between $2.75-3.75.

Reactions: yakcity1064

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
OK so Kane is on a heater because he's with McDavid but Pulju is a glue guy and not boosted by McDavid. Can you see the complete lack of logic in that statement?

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Kane is the same age as Barrie, 10months older than Hyman and about a year older than Nuge all of which got long term deals with Oilers just now.
He also brings in a lot more than just scoring so his shooting % isn't a huge factor

It is an easy decision between Pulju and Kane if money is the same on a 3 -4 year deal. Puljujarvi isn't in that tier. Hopefully Holland finds a way to keep em both if Kane actually wants to stay and isn't expecting more than what Barrie is making in term and AAV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad