Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi Part 11: Solid Return Season Completed, How Does Next Season Go For the Big Finn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
A player doesn't have to be good in the defensive zone to have a strong defensive impact in the flow of the play.

Didn't state otherwise

I pointed out that he's playing a specialized role that limits the exposure of his deficiencies

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
He's playing against top competition each night with no PP time. How does that "limit the exposure of his deficiencies"?

By playing with the best offensive player in the NHL, who does all the puck carrying, playmaking, zone entries, and out of the cycle plays for him. He's on the ice with two superior players night in and night out, they aren't all carrying the load equally.

He's playing the same role as Patty Maroon did for Mcdavid/Drai in 2017 as a big body complimentary player.

Kaptah2

Apr 30, 2020
By playing with the best offensive player in the NHL, who does all the puck carrying, playmaking, zone entries, and out of the cycle plays for him. He's on the ice with two superior players night in and night out, they aren't all carrying the load equally.

He's playing the same role as Patty Maroon did for Mcdavid/Drai in 2017 as a big body complimentary player.
That would be a decent argument if advanced stats didn't show how Pulju has made positive impact to the game of every linemate he's had.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
That would be a decent argument if advanced stats didn't show how Pulju has made positive impact to the game of every linemate he's had.

Because I was arguing he's playing a specific type of complimentary role on any line he's on, not that he's a bad or ineffective player.

He hasn't been downgrading to talentless grinders in the few occasions he's been taken off Mcdavid's wing either.

Reactions: bobbythebrain

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

His defensive game is literally light years ahead of Maroon. Maroon was a pretty poor defensive player.

Reactions: oilers'72

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
His defensive game is literally light years ahead of Maroon. Maroon was a pretty poor defensive player.
Maroon took possession and took efforts to control the puck down low for sequences . JP does not. It's not rocket appliances why JP is in a constantly better position to be back. He's not chasing

I would love for one of JP's superfans and elite defensive accusers to prove me otherwise and compile a video of 3 times in 3 years where JP took a puck from blueline to goal line and worked the puck low for a spell

Last edited:

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

6'1 190lbs McDavid, who with one arm peels off Kopitar who is trying to check his prostate. McD's speed was not the factor on that play.
6'4 205lbs JP accepts being pinned in those battles 90% of the time
However, the other nite I have to give him credit. He actually tried to fight off a board play. The puck was between his feet, he braced himself with both arms on the boards to push off, but it was all for not cuz the puck was poked away cuz he did nothing to actually protect it:laugh:

McD and Drai escape those plays once a game by having one hand on the puck, and the other fighting off the attacker. JP literally stood over a puck with both hands out. He lost it immediately to say the least. I wonder, did that play make his linemates better?

Last edited:

PulYou

Feb 16, 2018
Your effort to undermine Puljujarvi's value to the team is looking obsessive...and frankly a little weird.
I agree. Although it is never a good argument to go on about someone,s person.

I just choose to skip his opinions because they are not based on knowledge, but fiction.

I think this is him trolling to have social contacts, because he is about to have some responses on his provocative takes.

Nothing but the best for him though!

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I agree. Although it is never a good argument to go on about someone,s person.

I just choose to skip his opinions because they are not based on knowledge, but fiction.

I think this is him trolling to have social contacts, because he is about to have some responses on his provocative takes.

Nothing but the best for him though!
He’s been posting like this about him since he went back to Finland, for some reason he thinks puljujarvi did him wrong.

It’s incredible how everyone has better numbers with puljujarvi if he doesn’t forecheck, support the play, pass or shoot well.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Most reasonable people on here agree that he has been playing well defensively and controlling pucks and forechecking well on that line. But there was a poster on here who said he'd be fine if that's all he ever did, and scoring goals for him was not a big deal.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
It's not the worst thing in the world for Pulju to be playing very well defensively while not scoring too much. His offensive production can explode next season after he's signed at 3.5-4M rather than 5-6.

Reactions: Laodongxi

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
It's not the worst thing in the world for Pulju to be playing very well defensively while not scoring too much. His offensive production can explode next season after he's signed at 3.5-4M rather than 5-6.
He doesn't have to wait till next year to score.;) It should be possible to continue to play the same sound game while contributing on a few of the Grade A chances that he gets from McDavid.

Reactions: soothsayer

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I’d try to bridge him tbh, couple of years @ $2.5M. Long term would be better, but we need the cap now so I’d take the risk of going low and short. Unless he for some reason would be willing to sign a Jarnkrok-contract, but I doubt that.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Maroon took possession and took efforts to control the puck down low for sequences . JP does not. It's not rocket appliances why JP is in a constantly better position to be back. He's not chasing

I would love for one of JP's superfans and elite defensive accusers to prove me otherwise and compile a video of 3 times in 3 years where JP took a puck from blueline to goal line and worked the puck low for a spell
JP is constantly deep on the forecheck causing turnovers. Understanding when to fall back into a defensive position is not a bad quality, it's high defensive IQ to recognize when a puck isn't worth pursing and is more likely to turn over up ice.

You keep repeating the same rhetoric which just isn't true. JP is a very strong defensive player in terms of both his reads and his positioning, and his actual man on man play.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
I’d try to bridge him tbh, couple of years @ $2.5M. Long term would be better, but we need the cap now so I’d take the risk of going low and short. Unless he for some reason would be willing to sign a Jarnkrok-contract, but I doubt that.
Nah we need to get him on an 8. We bridged Nurse and then got boned hard. This is our opportunity for a contract like Turbo on the canes.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
He’s been posting like this about him since he went back to Finland, for some reason he thinks puljujarvi did him wrong.

It’s incredible how everyone has better numbers with puljujarvi if he doesn’t forecheck, support the play, pass or shoot well.
He treats Pulju the same as the kid in high school who stalks the prom queen after she said no to going to prom with him. It’s creepy.

Reactions: PulYou

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
at least you’re being honest here, you’ve been cheering against Pulju since the day he was drafted. The real hate started when he spent the year in Finland
This is also completely untrue. I love these made up bs narratives

I started to question JP's "ELITE" talent when he sniped Maroon in the neck from 2ft away. Not even pro golfers get a lob wedge up that fast. Then his "talent" really became on display when he was set up on a wide open net and wound up and did a slap pass to absolutely nobody. Watching him falldown 10x in one game was also amusing

However, my posts ramped up when everyone blamed Tmac and the Org for JP's troubles when indeed it was JP himself admitting he didn't bother learning English

Now, I just reply to posts and tweets using words like"elite" "selke" and "potential to score 40"

Reactions: Macheteops

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
giphy.gif

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
This is also completely untrue. I love these made up bs narratives

I started to question JP's "ELITE" talent when he sniped Maroon in the neck from 2ft away. Not even pro golfers get a lob wedge up that fast. Then his "talent" really became on display when he was set up on a wide open net and wound up and did a slap pass to absolutely nobody. Watching him falldown 10x in one game was also amusing

However, my posts ramped up when everyone blamed Tmac and the Org for JP's troubles when indeed it was JP himself admitting he didn't bother learning English

Now, I just reply to posts and tweets using words like"elite" "selke" and "potential to score 40"
Dashing Silver Fox lives. Except the quality of his posts have gone way down hill. Sad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad