Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi Part 11: Solid Return Season Completed, How Does Next Season Go For the Big Finn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
-stop falling down and actually use that frame to spin out of board battles. I think he fell 10x last game
- take guys on 1 on 1 more vs just shooting. We already have a Nuge
- carry the puck in a little more vs quick passes to covered players.
-longer shifts and don't abandon linemates in illogical situations

He's improved alot but these are definitely the next steps he needs to take
You said this last June and he still hasn’t taken these steps.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Also kane shooting at 15% after shooting 11-12% over the past 4 seasons is a big deal now apparently. Isn’t that like 3 goals?

Oh and a goal scorers percentage going up slightly playing with the best player in the world isn’t exactly shocking.

I’m not dissing JP here I just think that the hoops people are jumping through to say that he’s better than Kane are a little insane.
2 G on 2 shots on the PK. Remove those and suddenly he goes from 15.5% to like 13.5%.
3 ENG on 3 shots, remove those and he's back down at 11%.

This is not about some crazy hot-streak, he's potted a couple goals on the PK and EN. Those are bringing up his %. For five-on-five and on the PP his shooting % is in line with previous seasons.

For the record, I'd love to see both PJ and Kane re-signed.

Last edited:

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
2 G on 2 shots on the PK. Remove those and suddenly he goes from 15.5% to like 13.5%.
3 ENG on 3 shots, remove those and he's back down at 11%.

This is not about some crazy hot-streak, he's potted a couple goals on the PK and EN. Those a brining up his %. For five-on-five and on the PP he is shooting % is in line with previous seasons.

For the record, I'd love to see both PJ and Kane re-signed.
Solid point. I suspect the fans who have a Kane problem won’t take any of that into consideration however. They are livid that the Oilers signed this player and instead of no longer posting here as they vowed to do, they’ll keep taking runs at the player regardless of how well he plays. It’s quite sad.

Also agree that I’d like to see both players signed, but I’m resigned to losing Kane. Just don’t see how we can afford to keep him. Thanks for that Ken.

Reactions: JossyP and LaGu

PulYou

Feb 16, 2018
I see what you all see in Pj too. However, using “elite” to describe any part of his game is something only our biased asses would do.
"With Puljujarvi on the ice, the Oilers have earned 68 percent of the expected goals and have outscored opponents 17-1 since the hire. Puljujarvi is turning into one of the best play drivers in the league."

I would call that elite...

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Lmao. "Elite"

While having a good disruptive game yesterday w/ a couple really nice defensive plays.

He completely bobbled a Kassian pass that he could have turned into a breakaway. He then took another slot pass and skated himself into trouble.
He also hit the goalie in the chest on wide open reverse net pass from McD.

The word "elite" and "drives offense"is far from the right word in describing him.

If you want a prime example of how ppl misinterpret stats...this would be it

Bergeron, Couturier, Kopitar, Barkov, Stone, ROR..........Puljujarvi 😅

Last edited:
Reactions: Macheteops

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Puljo has been playing very well, but good gawd, he's playing on the #1 line with the best player in the league, he needs to start scoring and bearing down! I can't count the number of gifts that he's received the last while from both McDavid and Kane and absolutely fanned or whiffed on them. That's not not snake bit.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Let’s worry about Pulju finishing more after he gets locked into a good long-term contract, rather than getting paid off a hot streak

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Lmao. "Elite"

While having a good disruptive game yesterday w/ a couple really nice defensive plays.

He completely bobbled a Kassian pass that he could have turned into a breakaway. He then took another slot pass and skated himself into trouble.
He also hit the goalie in the chest on wide open reverse net pass from McD.

The word "elite" and "drives offense"is far from the right word in describing him.

If you want a prime example of how ppl misinterpret stats...this would be it

Bergeron, Couturier, Kopitar, Barkov, Stone, ROR..........Puljujarvi 😅
Or that most casual fas are not good at evaluating defensive ability and mostly all are heavily influenced by point totals for evaluation of offensive ability

JP has had elite defensive metrics for 2 years now and doing so in big minutes against top comp.

Maybe it's your evaluation approach the misinterprets plays too much

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

how some of ya'll continue to shit on puljujarvi is just astounding when there's plugs like kassian on this team, good lord.

Puljujarvi is legitimately one of the better wingers in the NHL. The goals will come and all of a sudden this guys stock is going to sky rocket. He already has the underlying numbers of a really good 2 way forward

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Puljo has been playing very well, but good gawd, he's playing on the #1 line with the best player in the league, he needs to start scoring and bearing down! I can't count the number of gifts that he's received the last while from both McDavid and Kane and absolutely fanned or whiffed on them. That's not not snake bit.
Sure, he could capitalize more, and if he does hes one of the best wingers in the nhl.

But he could never improve goal scoring ability any further, and his existing contributions as a puck possession winger and near elite defensive ability makes him a strong 1st line winger who should be stapled to 97 indefinitely

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Or that most casual fas are not good at evaluating defensive ability and mostly all are heavily influenced by point totals for evaluation of offensive ability

JP has had elite defensive metrics for 2 years now and doing so in big minutes against top comp.

Maybe it's your evaluation approach the misinterprets plays too much

Pretty weird post calling someone out for not understanding stats when, since you doubled down on JP's defensive stats, seems you are the one who doesn't understand them and how they are acheived

JP doesn't battle down low with the puck and play keep away. He never takes on wingers and rarely chips and chases, or muscles a puck out front. Kane and Hyman in 5 games have more wrap attempts than JP all year

He rims around the boards and pokes pucks loose for his linemates to go chase.

Not too tough to get back when you aren't exerting energy in major physical battles or you sluff it into an area and turn back

Amazing how for the last 2months ppl keep posting these elite defensive stats and he's not even a sniff on the Selke talk. Can you please explain that one? I mean some of JP's stats show him blowing his competition up. How no votes?

Maybe the ppl who recognize those ballots can differentiate between Barkov, Bergy and Kopitar when they carry pucks for 10ft at a time, get into major keepaway battles down low and are still able to get back into position to make a major defensive play

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Sure, he could capitalize more, and if he does hes one of the best wingers in the nhl.

But he could never improve goal scoring ability any further, and his existing contributions as a puck possession winger and near elite defensive ability makes him a strong 1st line winger who should be stapled to 97 indefinitely
You think he's been capitalizing on scoring since he cam back from injury, with lots of premium chances? One goal, and that's it. Yah, I get the narrative that he's a great checker, goof possession player and all of those other fancy stats that make your mouth drool. But I think all of us expect him to start putting the puck away on a more consistent basis. I'm not talking Alex Ovechkin rate, but every 2-3 games would be nice. At his current level of scoring after coming back from injury, that works out to about 5 goals on a full year. You're okay with that kind of production? Seriously?

Reactions: Messrules11

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Pretty weird post calling someone out for not understanding stats when, since you doubled down on JP's defensive stats, seems you are the one who doesn't understand them and how they are acheived

JP doesn't battle down low with the puck and play keep away. He never takes on wingers and rarely chips and chases, or muscles a puck out front. Kane and Hyman in 5 games have more wrap attempts than JP all year

Not too tough to get back when you aren't exerting energy in major physical battles or you sluff it into an area and turn back

Amazing how for the last 2months ppl keep posting these elite defensive stats and he's not even a sniff on the Selke talk. Can you please explain that one? I mean some of JP's stats show him blowing his competition up. How no votes?

Maybe the ppl who recognize those ballots can differentiate between Barkov, Bergy and Kopitar when they carry pucks for 10ft at a time, get into major keepaway battles down low and are still able to get back into position to make a major defensive play
He doesn't necessarily need to be in the Selke conversation to be an actual excellent two way hockey player like he actually is. Not sure why the Selke has to be involved in the first place? Nobody is saying he's better than Kane right now or that he's Selke potential. But the kid is literally trending upwards, and facts do show that the linemates he has generally perform better with him on the ice than off. He definitely still has warts to his game, but its not weaknesses that will plague a player long term. If anything, I personally think JP should get a skills coach as that will help him tremendously. However, seeing statements like how they should just trade JP for peanuts is by far the dumbest crap I've seen on this thread.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
He doesn't necessarily need to be in the Selke conversation to be an actual excellent two way hockey player like he actually is. Not sure why the Selke has to be involved in the first place? Nobody is saying he's better than Kane right now or that he's Selke potential. But the kid is literally trending upwards, and facts do show that the linemates he has generally perform better with him on the ice than off. He definitely still has warts to his game, but its not weaknesses that will plague a player long term. If anything, I personally think JP should get a skills coach as that will help him tremendously. However, seeing statements like how they should just trade JP for peanuts is by far the dumbest crap I've seen on this thread.

I would kill to oneday sit in a private room with McD or Drai, and explain to them how JP makes them better

I doubt the response would be reciprocal

• Haha

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I would kill to oneday sit in a private room with McD or Drai, and explain to them how JP makes them better

I doubt the response would be reciprocal
Okay, but that's just based on your narrative when it comes to Puljujarvi which is frankly generally quite negative, my friend.

Plus what you just said is still rather irrelevant to the actual topic at hand.

Reactions: oilers'72

PostBradMalone

Mar 19, 2022

Listen, if he becomes Jere Lehtinen reincarnate, that would be cool. But he’s not elite defensively (yet) while still producing under the mark for a guy in his position.

I’m not saying he will never do either, and in fact this is a better situation for us heading into contract negotiations this summer than the opposite, but we should pump the brakes a bit here. I like the kid and hope he’s here many years.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton

Just to fixate on a point - media guys vote on the selke, and the media guys have a strong belief that if you don't penalty kill, you aren't worthy of being in the selke discussion. Though it does beg the question of why someone who is supposedly so brilliant defensively doesn't get used on the PK, doesn't get thrown out there in the final minute to protect a lead or many other high stress defensive situations, starts the majority of his shifts in the offensive zone, and rarely plays more than 17 minutes a game despite being this supposedly amazing two way player.

There is definitely a disconnect between the player on the ice and the adv stat community. It's pretty obvious the coach is seeing the player on the ice too and is utilizing him a specialized role as a disrupter for the best one man offensive machine in the NHL in Mcdavid, and just living with JP complete lack of offensive instincts, play driving abilities, and finesse skills.

Rengorlex

Aug 25, 2021
Puljujarvi is legitimately one of the better wingers in the NHL. The goals will come and all of a sudden this guys stock is going to sky rocket. He already has the underlying numbers of a really good 2 way forward
Hopefully they will, but his problems in finishing ability are clear to the eye. It's a part of his game he needs to fix, not just variance.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton

how some of ya'll continue to shit on puljujarvi is just astounding when there's plugs like kassian on this team, good lord.

Stone Cold @bobbythebrain...the more time goes on, the more I just have to keep asking you.
iu

Rengorlex

Aug 25, 2021
Just to fixate on a point - media guys vote on the selke, and the media guys have a strong belief that if you don't penalty kill, you aren't worthy of being in the selke discussion. Though it does beg the question of why someone who is supposedly so brilliant defensively doesn't get used on the PK, doesn't get thrown out there in the final minute to protect a lead or many other high stress defensive situations, starts the majority of his shifts in the offensive zone, and rarely plays more than 17 minutes a game despite being this supposedly amazing two way player.

There is definitely a disconnect between the player on the ice and the adv stat community. It's pretty obvious the coach is seeing the player on the ice too and is utilizing him a specialized role as a disrupter for the best one man offensive machine in the NHL in Mcdavid, and just living with JP complete lack of offensive instincts, play driving abilities, and finesse skills.
A player doesn't have to be good in the defensive zone to have a strong defensive impact in the flow of the play.

Reactions: oilers'72
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille