Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi Part 11: Solid Return Season Completed, How Does Next Season Go For the Big Finn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
Let's just say, he's the next Valeri Nichushkin :) Except better!!

I don't pay Pulju top dollar either. The analytics look great, but you still get paid for results. Loads of ice time with McDrai and he hasn't shown the scoring tough needed for a big payday. A bump up around ~3-3.5M for 2-3 years I think makes sense.
Hey, nothing wrong with being that lol. If this is Pulju's low, we have a good player here. If he can just somehow improve his body balance and such, he is a top flight player

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
The choice is to resign Kane w/ McD. they have been amazing. The cap causalities after that should be looked at for assets

No f'in way any era of reality does JP become as effective as Kane on McD's wing despite the age gap

McDavid w/Kane
SF%: 55.95
GF%: 60
xGF%: 54.73
SCF%: 49.84

McDavid w/out Kane
SF%: 56.65
GF%: 56.58
xGF%: 59.95
SCF%: 56.11

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
There was a play tonight where Kane battled for the puck along the wall, into the corner and came out with it behind the net. Circles the net and lays it right out front for Puljujarvi who promptly overskated the puck and watched it go right between his legs. No shot.

I’m not putting JP down, just saying if the roles were reversed (and they wouldn’t be because JP doesn’t win that battle or make that pass) Kane buries that pass right into the back of the net 9/10 times.

He’s a goal scorer. Can’t teach it, but you can buy it. If the Oilers have the money and they choose to walk on Kane, it will be a blunder of monumental proportions.

About 5 games ago, McD takes it to the net and dished it to Kane who drove the net with a dman mugging him. When the pass came, he freed up one hand last second and directed the puck just wide

Later that period, McD passed to JP in the exact scenario you just described. A dman leaned way in and stick checked JP's stick, and he missed it. Thankfully Ceci was behind him and burried the puck

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
McDavid w/Kane
SF%: 55.95
GF%: 60
xGF%: 54.73
SCF%: 49.84

McDavid w/out Kane
SF%: 56.65
GF%: 56.58
xGF%: 59.95
SCF%: 56.11
Advanced stats also showed JP's defensive stats better than Kopitar and and Barkov.

Posting these stats is completely stupid when you watch the on ice product.

Kane is almost a ppg and you are showing stats that has McD better without Kane. Give your brain jingle

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Advanced stats also showed JP's defensive stats better than Kopitar and and Barkov.

Kane is almost a ppg and you are showing stats that has McD better without Kane. Give your brain jingle
Part of the problem lies with thinking those are defensive stats in the first place.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

There's no disconnect. Kane is burying his chances at an unsustainable rate but doesn't improve his linemates. Enjoy it while it lasts I guess.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
There's no disconnect. Kane is burying his chances at an unsustainable rate but doesn't improve his linemates. Enjoy it while it lasts I guess.
Again, when you only reference his shooting stats you are so far lost it's painful

Last nite he set up JP who fell down and whiffed. He then crushed a guy that turned over a grade A chance
JP's last goal was cuz Kane made a power move to the net. The game prior he crushed a guy that McD picked up a loose puck, set up JP who missed yet again, and Ceci scored
Not to mention that you must have the biggest blinders in the world to not see how many times Kane has gained the zone by taking on dmen and taking down low or around the net. Cuz ya, gaining the zone doesn't help his teammates:laugh:

But when JP makes the much easier play of shovelling a puck up the ice for McD to chase down....he makes his line better:huh:

Reactions: Macheteops

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Hey, nothing wrong with being that lol. If this is Pulju's low, we have a good player here. If he can just somehow improve his body balance and such, he is a top flight player

Yeah I don't mean it as an insult at all. Nichushin somehow really upped his offensive game compared to when some analytics guys are hilariously putting him on their Hart lists because of his analytics similar to pulju this year :). Guy playing excellent 2-way hockey that is making him look dominant on possession stats, and then adding in some more offensive touch. I'll be happy with that with pulju in the next couple years

Reactions: bobbythebrain

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Wait do people here actually flat out think JP is a better player than Kane?
No.

Maroon and Kassian both were better on McDavid wing.

Puljujarvi has one great talent. He's a puck thief. Takes away and passes to an open area. Much of the time it goes to a good player because good players find open ice.
He should learn to pass it into the net instead of shooting. Very accurate passer.
Actually he skates fast as well.
Should have been a defenseman.

Last edited:
Reactions: Captain Fantastic

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
If you actually believe Puljujärvi is a better player than Kane, give your head a shake.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
If you actually believe Puljujärvi is a better player than Kane, give your head a shake.
yup-gif-3.gif

Reactions: Macheteops

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Also kane shooting at 15% after shooting 11-12% over the past 4 seasons is a big deal now apparently. Isn’t that like 3 goals?

Oh and a goal scorers percentage going up slightly playing with the best player in the world isn’t exactly shocking.

I’m not dissing JP here I just think that the hoops people are jumping through to say that he’s better than Kane are a little insane.

Last edited:

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
No.

Maroon and Kassian both were better on McDavid wing.

Puljujarvi has one great talent. He's a puck thief. Takes away and passes to an open area. Much of the time it goes to a good player because good players find open ice.
He should learn to pass it into the net instead of shooting. Very accurate passer.
Actually he skates fast as well.
Should have been a defenseman.
Puck thief is a good way to describe Puljujarvi. It's probably underappreciated by many because it doesn't translate to goals but his body of work can lead to offensive chances for his linemates and defensively, it disrupts a cycle. 34 points in 57 games and a +21 is nothing to sneeze at. However, I do understand the frustation of him flubbing grade A scoring chances. Regardless, he's still a very valuable piece. Not quite the level of Nuge but getting there .
Nuge will get you 50-60 points a year but is a like a jackknife with his 2 way play and special teams. A rare type of player to have.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Puck thief is a good way to describe Puljujarvi. It's probably underappreciated by many because it doesn't translate to goals but his body of work can lead to offensive chances for his linemates and defensively, it disrupts a cycle. 34 points in 57 games and a +21 is nothing to sneeze at. However, I do understand the frustation of him flubbing grade A scoring chances. Regardless, he's still a very valuable piece. Not quite the level of Nuge but getting there .
Nuge will get you 50-60 points a year but is a like a jackknife with his 2 way play and special teams. A rare type of player to have.
An absolute puck hound. I do think there is a goal scorer in there and I hope it unlocks after we re-sign him haha.

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
An absolute puck hound. I do think there is a goal scorer in there and I hope it unlocks after we re-sign him haha.
RIght, ha.. hopefully Kassian plays decent down the stretch so we can easily get rid of him in the off-season so we can sign some of these others to decent value contracts. PJ, Yams, Mcleod ..all RFA's this summer. I've seen enough of Kassian's play and realize that he'll never bring that consistent play for us.

Macheteops

Apr 13, 2005
Nice goal by Pulju, do you think?

Pretty much any legit NHL player scores on that play

How about that last game he played? If Woodcroft has any sense Pulju is rolling on that third line next game. Let him create his so-called chaos on line three

Never seen an NHL player especially picked that high miss so many passes and constantly falling down. A few of those passes were in his skates but most players would fair a little better then falling down

He reminds me of that guy that use to be decent at hockey but it’s his first time on ice in 5 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad