Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi Part 10: Connor's RW

Status
Not open for further replies.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Nuge - McDavid - Yammo
Kahun - Drai - Pulju

Much better blend of speed and skill. Jesse is so fast out there and Drai needs some player he can pass to in stride. This top 6 creates more chances imo and overall just makes more sense. Every time Yammo is out there with Nuge they look great. Yammo and Kahun look more or less pretty similar out there and having both on the same line seems redundant. Ennis hasn't done anything on that line, he looked better on the 3rd line. Kahun and Drai have shown clear chemistry as well, and as ugly as that give away was Kahun has still been the best option for the top 6 of the players we have.
Umm why? We're 8-2 in our last 10

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

Better than McDavid at handling dogs. Generational dog handling skills really.

Here is McDavid by comparison:

upload_2021-2-20_12-47-51.png

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
To be fair.. Leonard the dog is almost as big as a bear
There was a video out there where one of the WAGS or sisters says he’s holding him better now and not choking him anymore when he holds him. :laugh:

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
There are a few of us who recognized the talent in JP and probably lots of quiet fans. It's a gang like minority of extremely vocal "fans" that bashed him every chance they got.
I bashed him and i was wrong. Fully admitted

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
IMO, I think Jesse has elevated to become the second to McDavid and Nuge is now the 3rd wheel.

I wouldn't quite say 3rd wheel, but it's becoming clear that Jesse is the heat seeking missile on the line, and due to that he and McDavid are the more likely give-and-go guys in transition.

McDavid's 500's point highlights that. It's Nuge who gets the puck and starts the breakout to Pulju, who drives the middle. A quick give and go with McDavid, and the pucks in the back of the net.

In the O-zone on the cycle I still think McDavid and Nuge like to play catch more, but Jesse's gotten more and more comfortable in that role too as the season has gone on. The one problem all season is that the McNuge combo isn't that effective cycling in the O-zone (compared to their talents) and are normally more dangerous in transition.

I will agree this trio is a waste of RNH, and I don't see why any of Ennis, Neal, Kahun or even Turris couldn't play the same role.

At the moment I think Ennis would be the best fit there, but I'm still going to keep calling for Turris to get a shot. Mainly because I think Ennis is more valuable in the bottom 6 as an offensive spark, and "high offensive IQ player who does the little things right but doesn't touch the puck much" sounds like a fit for Turris.

RNH-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Turris-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Ennis-Haas-Archibald
Neal-Khaira-Chiasson

Or...

Ennis-Khaira-Archibald
Kahun-Haas-Neal

I'd have time for both bottom 6s.

Reactions: Samus44

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I wouldn't quite say 3rd wheel, but it's becoming clear that Jesse is the heat seeking missile on the line, and due to that he and McDavid are the more likely give-and-go guys in transition.

McDavid's 500's point highlights that. It's Nuge who gets the puck and starts the breakout to Pulju, who drives the middle. A quick give and go with McDavid, and the pucks in the back of the net.

In the O-zone on the cycle I still think McDavid and Nuge like to play catch more, but Jesse's gotten more and more comfortable in that role too as the season has gone on. The one problem all season is that the McNuge combo isn't that effective cycling in the O-zone (compared to their talents) and are normally more dangerous in transition.

I will agree this trio is a waste of RNH, and I don't see why any of Ennis, Neal, Kahun or even Turris couldn't play the same role.

At the moment I think Ennis would be the best fit there, but I'm still going to keep calling for Turris to get a shot. Mainly because I think Ennis is more valuable in the bottom 6 as an offensive spark, and "high offensive IQ player who does the little things right but doesn't touch the puck much" sounds like a fit for Turris.

RNH-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Turris-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Ennis-Haas-Archibald
Neal-Khaira-Chiasson

Or...

Ennis-Khaira-Archibald
Kahun-Haas-Neal

I'd have time for both bottom 6s.
You touched my soft spot with the DRY line suggestion, which so many have been harping on for so long. Might turn some of those 2-1 nail-biters into some 4 -1 more comfy wins.
Yes, now that McDavid and Puljo seem to have some symmetry and chemistry, the 3rd portion of some sort should be tried. I don't mind Ennis, but the fact he has doing so good on the Khaira line seems to have reduced it a little bit.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Lol was just thinking about how bad a bunch of posters treated him because he went back to Europe I wonder where they are right now.
A few of them make an appearance after every game where Jesse doesn’t score to say things like his +/- sucks and he still has no hockey IQ. Then they go back under the bridge where they came from.

My favorite one from this year is still the poster that thought he should never play another game for the Oilers during the first period of a game, then later in the same game Jesse earned a promotion to the top line and hasn’t slowed down since.

Reactions: PulYou

stratedge

My relationship with the Oilers is abusive.
Jul 25, 2007
Calgary, AB
The Pulju / McD / RNH line is a puzzle to me. They seem less than the sum of their parts. I watch them play, and individually they're all doing good things... but they don't dominate on shifts like I think on paper they could. I don't know exactly what it is.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
It's very obvious he has taken the last few years off. Now he tries to make plays and the motor function is not there.
I don't think he took "the last few years off" so much as he's had back problems, his dad died, and he struggled to get his game back after it dipped without the support from his dad.

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
He's playing with a hell of a lot of confidence right now.

Would be a godsend for the team if he could maintain this level of play consistently. That is going to be the real test now.
He definitely is playing with an air of confidence and look's like he is having fun just playing the game, you see it on his face. I'm just weary about how Tippet seems to be jerking him around, absolutely no need for that, especially at this point in time.

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
Been doing it for 18 games so far. I just hope that if he has one bad game or hell even a bad period that’s he’s given a little bit of a leash. he’s playing loose and full of confidence like you said, the quickest way to kill that confidence is to come down too hard on a player for a simple mistake.
Exactly my concern TIPPET! No PP time last game, playing Neal and Chiasson over him?

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Why flip Yama with Pulju?
Its not that drastic a move and improves both lines.
Drai gets some help and can get Pulju the puck in stride.
Yama-Nuge duo with McD could be just as good as DRY

I feel like Pulju has chemistry with McDavid and also, Leon plays a different style than McDavid so it may not suit Pulju

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
The Pulju / McD / RNH line is a puzzle to me. They seem less than the sum of their parts. I watch them play, and individually they're all doing good things... but they don't dominate on shifts like I think on paper they could. I don't know exactly what it is.
Nuge!

stratedge

My relationship with the Oilers is abusive.
Jul 25, 2007
Calgary, AB

Nuge is playing alright, he's the defensive conscience for McDavid, and Nuge obviously has that offensive IQ. I think they need to be better a puck recovery in the o-zone though, and all 3 are pretty quick to opt to start covering passes rather than pressure the puck.

I think I support the swap Yamo/PJ idea. Just because both lines are doing okay, doesn't mean they can't do better. Yamo's puck hounding would lead to a lot of turnovers that RNH + McDavid could cash on quickly. Drai would probably hate to lose Yamo though, he depends quite heavily on him.

Reactions: nabob and LTIR

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
2nd line is even worse. Individually they are all better than what they accomplish as a line.
Top line occasionally gets some good McD to Pulju passes. 2nd line is a whole lot of nothing aside from individual efforts.

Flipping Yama with Pulju would improve the balance for sure. Moving Nuge to Drai line would improve both as well.
Even flipping Nuge with Drai may improve both lines.

Kahun-Drai-McD
Pulju-Nuge-Yama

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I have all kinds of crow to eat on this player, regularly acknowledge it, but since TC THIS Pulju is a player I have supported and have said so consistently. The player changed my view with his play. Again I'll say it, he's been like a gift, and one that I'm perhaps also more appreciative in the pandemic year that we have had. He brings the joy, seems like my frequency is more tuned to that now.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I have all kinds of crow to eat on this player, regularly acknowledge it, but since TC THIS Pulju is a player I have supported and have said so consistently. The player changed my view with his play. Again I'll say it, he's been like a gift, and one that I'm perhaps also more appreciative in the pandemic year that we have had. He brings the joy, seems like my frequency is more tuned to that now.

Way to admit you were wrong on him, respect to have the self awareness and insight when we’re wrong.

He plays such an honest game too, hard on pucks. Good on the forecheck, back checks hard and is getting a lot of confidence lately.

He plays the exact type of game that wingers who flourish with McDavid play.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
2nd line is even worse. Individually they are all better than what they accomplish as a line.
Top line occasionally gets some good McD to Pulju passes. 2nd line is a whole lot of nothing aside from individual efforts.

Flipping Yama with Pulju would improve the balance for sure. Moving Nuge to Drai line would improve both as well.
Even flipping Nuge with Drai may improve both lines.

Kahun-Drai-McD
Pulju-Nuge-Yama

That would be interesting actually. Would this configuration require the best play of all players involved and obtain it? Tend to think so. At least sometimes it should land here. This allows us the best cheatcode pairing in hockey, and even a Kahun should be able to be adequate third there, sub in Kassian when he's not. The 2nd line is intriguing and forces the best effort out of RNH and gets the best out of Yama as well. Pulju with this intent will do well anywhere in topsix. With the D transition this year its really helping to feed him and he is getting some decent D passes. Nuge is a solid transition player so works well with yama and Pulju speed on the rush. Plus Nuge is a solid trailer player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad