Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi Part 10: Connor's RW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
I wouldn't quite say 3rd wheel, but it's becoming clear that Jesse is the heat seeking missile on the line, and due to that he and McDavid are the more likely give-and-go guys in transition.

McDavid's 500's point highlights that. It's Nuge who gets the puck and starts the breakout to Pulju, who drives the middle. A quick give and go with McDavid, and the pucks in the back of the net.

In the O-zone on the cycle I still think McDavid and Nuge like to play catch more, but Jesse's gotten more and more comfortable in that role too as the season has gone on. The one problem all season is that the McNuge combo isn't that effective cycling in the O-zone (compared to their talents) and are normally more dangerous in transition.

I will agree this trio is a waste of RNH, and I don't see why any of Ennis, Neal, Kahun or even Turris couldn't play the same role.

At the moment I think Ennis would be the best fit there, but I'm still going to keep calling for Turris to get a shot. Mainly because I think Ennis is more valuable in the bottom 6 as an offensive spark, and "high offensive IQ player who does the little things right but doesn't touch the puck much" sounds like a fit for Turris.

RNH-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Turris-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Ennis-Haas-Archibald
Neal-Khaira-Chiasson

Or...

Ennis-Khaira-Archibald
Kahun-Haas-Neal

I'd have time for both bottom 6s.
Im not convinced on Turris. Can't win battles. And i think Nuge is there a lot for defense. I wouldn't bet on anyone else doing his job as well but i do think Nuge would possibly be better used elsewhere. I do think your assesment of how that line works is bang on.

stratedge

My relationship with the Oilers is abusive.
Jul 25, 2007
Calgary, AB
2nd line is even worse. Individually they are all better than what they accomplish as a line.
Top line occasionally gets some good McD to Pulju passes. 2nd line is a whole lot of nothing aside from individual efforts.

Flipping Yama with Pulju would improve the balance for sure. Moving Nuge to Drai line would improve both as well.
Even flipping Nuge with Drai may improve both lines.

Kahun-Drai-McD
Pulju-Nuge-Yama

I agree about the 2nd line also not really being the sum of it's parts too, but for me they're less of a puzzle. That line goes as Drai goes. Unpopular opinion but Drai to me has had a few off nights this year, including last night where his touch and finish were off. Yamo is very consistent, especially his effort, and Kahun is a sub $1M player where you get what you pay for (some good plays but he's not going to drive scoring).

Again, all the more reason to try some variety between these lines. I don't mind those lines, but I think Kassian (when back) is a better fit with Drai/McD than Kahun, and you just use Kahun to keep Kass honest.

Reactions: LTIR

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Im not convinced on Turris. Can't win battles. And i think Nuge is there a lot for defense. I wouldn't bet on anyone else doing his job as well but i do think Nuge would possibly be better used elsewhere. I do think your assesment of how that line works is bang on.
I’m convinced on Turris, convinced his best days are far behind him.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
Great game for the Oilers, but I was puzzled at Jesse's usage: third lowest minutes of the forwards and considering that includes Yamamoto who didn't play the whole game, so really only Ennis got less minutes. Obviously the constant special teams ate away his minutes as he was only on ice for that one PP shift and one short stint on PK late in the game, which Iwould like to see more in the future.

Reactions: 5 14 6 1 and PulYou

space321

May 11, 2011
Great game for the Oilers, but I was puzzled at Jesse's usage: third lowest minutes of the forwards and considering that includes Yamamoto who didn't play the whole game, so really only Ennis got less minutes. Obviously the constant special teams ate away his minutes as he was only on ice for that one PP shift and one short stint on PK late in the game, which Iwould like to see more in the future.

Tippett probably didn't want to put him out there in case calgary started to goon it up

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
2nd line is even worse. Individually they are all better than what they accomplish as a line.
Top line occasionally gets some good McD to Pulju passes. 2nd line is a whole lot of nothing aside from individual efforts.

Flipping Yama with Pulju would improve the balance for sure. Moving Nuge to Drai line would improve both as well.

Kahun-Drai-McD
Pulju-Nuge-Yama
no

Reactions: McSuper

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

A combo of a lot of special teams, and Tippet resting the top line once the game was out of hand and rolling the other lines more.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax

Kahun-Drai-McD
Pulju-Nuge-Yama

Terrible ! Puljujarvi struggle at the NHL level and now he just starting to gain confidence and play well you want to move him to his off wing . Great way to get back the old confused Puljujarvi . The only move I would make is move RNH back to Draisaitl and trade one of our extra D for a LW similar to Maroon . (actually 2 moves)

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Terrible ! Puljujarvi struggle at the NHL level and now he just starting to gain confidence and play well you want to move him to his off wing . Great way to get back the old confused Puljujarvi . The only move I would make is move RNH back to Draisaitl and trade one of our extra D for a LW similar to Maroon . (actually 2 moves)
Well with Yama injured Pulju can stay RW.
We finally got an ES Nuge goal primary assisted by McD so dont think Tipp will break that up now.

Drai will just have to work with Ennis, Kahun and Archi as his wingers.

PulYou

Feb 16, 2018
Well with Yama injured Pulju can stay RW.
We finally got an ES Nuge goal primary assisted by McD so dont think Tipp will break that up now.

Drai will just have to work with Ennis, Kahun and Archi as his wingers.

I wonder how long does it take for Kassian to get back in the line up? Also what is going on with Turris?

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Eu2lJ8PXMAU5kbf

Pulju is having a great season by the numbers. Helping a ton in transition.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Jesse needs to take some lessons on how to defend himself. Sadly because of his size he will be targeted. Knock some of these f***ing clowns out and then suddenly they won't want anything to do with him. Amazing how a plug like Roussell can get away with that while Kassian gets a murder wrap thrown at him for stepping on someone's pet turtle.

Oilerfan88

Jan 26, 2021
Poopoo went to the bench and was sad. I felt sad for him today. He is so innocent. Nuge stepped up and protected him. Atleast he got us the pp

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Have to give this player some love, I was a big skeptic, but he set up McDavid and RNH both with AAA scoring chances and for once the blame is on those guys for not finishing, lol. His passing ability is surprisingly strong.

Roussell is just dumb, I don't know what he was thinking there, not gonna waste any time trying to dissect that.

Kaptah

Jul 15, 2007
Pulju served his linemates two absolutely glorious changes, and had a couple good changes himself. Very unlucky not getting any points out of this game. Why the hell wasn't Russell made to pay for attacking Pulju? I was waiting for Khaira to get the job done.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad