Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi Part 10: Connor's RW

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
Confident Jesse is a sight to behold. Just a great game for him. I especially liked that McDavid seems to have begun trusting Jesse with the puck and make more passing plays with him. Seeing them on that 4-on-4 was like a dream come true for me. Jesse was playing exactly his own game there, brimming with confidence. Almost set up Barrie for a goal as well.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Confident Jesse is a sight to behold. Just a great game for him. I especially liked that McDavid seems to have begun trusting Jesse with the puck and make more passing plays with him. Seeing them on that 4-on-4 was like a dream come true for me. Jesse was playing exactly his own game there, brimming with confidence. Almost set up Barrie for a goal as well.

The feed to setup Barrie was arguably as impressive as his goal. If he can keep this up watch out.

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
Köln, Helsinki, Lappeenranta
Got third period only.
Jesse was good.
Makes better small plays and seems to know better were team mates are.

I still feel that Jesse in front of the goal is not optimal option.
But have to see more games. Though it seems with covid-21 I will miss most of Oilers games :(

Will hope for Jesses growth to continues. And Jesus! That team defence!!! Wtf!!!

BiasedFinn

Apr 12, 2018
Holy s*it it feels good to see him improving and proving he is a legit NHLer. He is like a human wrecking ball out there knocking down weaker and slower players and creating so much space. Absolutely love it.

Obviously he's got so much more work to do polishing his game and to find some finesse with his puckhandling and finishing but glad thing for Oilers and himself is he knows it also and is willing to do whatever it takes. Talent is there and always has been. I think he is going to be completely different player in two years, just like he is different player now than two years ago, and that's when it is going to be scary.

Good luck Jesse and Oilers!

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Jesse is looking good, and I'm loving his progression. But with him starting to carry and handle the puck more, what is RNH's role on that line?

Imo Neal would be a better fit there, as he's far better at slipping into gaps in defensive coverage or going to the dirty areas.

Even Turris could likely fill the role of "3rd man high" RNH is playing right now.

I don't see why this isn't a good time to revisit the RNH-Draisaitl-Yamamoto combo.
I don't expect them to fully re-create the magic of last year, but they have been this team's only consistently 5on5 line over the last two years.

Imo there's two ways you can approach it. Either have a lineup that features a 7th defenceman, with Neal on the McDavid line.

RNH-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Neal-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Kassian-Haas-Archibald
Kahun-Turris-#7defenceman

... Or one that feature Turris with McDavid and a cycle happy 4th line.

RNH-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Turris-McDavid-Pulju
Ennis/Kahun-Haas-Archibald
Neal-Khaira-Kassian

In either case the Haas-Archibald combo is your defensive anchor.

Reactions: Anarchism

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
Jesse is looking good, and I'm loving his progression. But with him starting to carry and handle the puck more, what is RNH's role on that line?

Imo Neal would be a better fit there, as he's far better at slipping into gaps in defensive coverage or going to the dirty areas.

Even Turris could likely fill the role of "3rd man high" RNH is playing right now.

I don't see why this isn't a good time to revisit the RNH-Draisaitl-Yamamoto combo.
I don't expect them to fully re-create the magic of last year, but they have been this team's only consistently 5on5 line over the last two years.

Imo there's two ways you can approach it. Either have a lineup that features a 7th defenceman, with Neal on the McDavid line.

RNH-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Neal-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Kassian-Haas-Archibald
Kahun-Turris-#7defenceman

... Or one that feature Turris with McDavid and a cycle happy 4th line.

RNH-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Turris-McDavid-Pulju
Ennis/Kahun-Haas-Archibald
Neal-Khaira-Kassian

In either case the Haas-Archibald combo is your defensive anchor.

im on board with

Neal - McDavid - Pulju
RNH - Drai - Yamamoto
Kahun - Turris - Kassian
Khaira - Haas - Archibald

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Really nice goal by Pulju. So many aspects of confidence on the play. He anticipates well, in rare instance instead of Connor being hit on the rush its Pulju, in a nice wrinkle, that surprised the Flames D. Pulju breaks home free with his speed and makes a goal scorer goal undressing a very good goalie.

This play being far from alone. Pulju was possibly the best player on his line last night. He was possibly the best player on the team last night. Deserving of these accolades. For Oiler fans a lot of what we are seeing would be dismal to watch without some good stories and play from McD, Drai, Pulju, Nurse. Not many other good stories. Those are the 4 best players on the team this season.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
im on board with

Neal - McDavid - Pulju
RNH - Drai - Yamamoto
Kahun - Turris - Kassian
Khaira - Haas - Archibald

Where is the defence on the first line?

Neal sluggong around , fun thing ti see. Or sad. I dont know

Rafters

Aug 10, 2003
Medicine Hat
Visit site
Really think the oilers need to run Mcdavid-Drai-RNH down the middle to start the games and shorten the bench later into the game if needed. Have not been impressed with the 5on5 game of a few oiler forwards so far. See if RNH as a PP/PK and center his own line is anywhere worth 7 mill like he wants without the Mcdrai effect at 5on5

Something along the lines of pairs like
Turris/Ennis-McDavid-Pulj
Kahun-Drai
-Kassian
Turris/Ennis-RNH-Yamo
Khaira/Nygard-Haas-Arcibald

Neal-Chaisson can sit until whenever

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
Really think the oilers need to run Mcdavid-Drai-RNH down the middle to start the games and shorten the bench later into the game if needed. Have not been impressed with the 5on5 game of a few oiler forwards so far. See if RNH as a PP/PK and center his own line is anywhere worth 7 mill like he wants without the Mcdrai effect at 5on5

Something along the lines of pairs like
Turris/Ennis-McDavid-Pulj
Kahun-Drai
-Kassian
Turris/Ennis-RNH-Yamo
Khaira/Nygard-Haas-Arcibald

Neal-Chaisson can sit until whenever

Right now I don't have an opinion about what the lines should be, but if the team doesn't collect enough points with current lines that looks like an interesting plan B. If McDavid and Pulju keep showing good chemistry that makes a suggestion like yours possible.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Didn't watch the entire game but the first period was probably one of the best periods I've seen Jesse play at the NHL level. For possibly the first time it looked like he 'got it' and understood how to play to be effective in the NHL. Complementing his linemates nicely, making good passes/plays, not fumbling the puck a lot. Only thing was that he skated into his teammates for no real reason on at least two occasions but that's really it. If he can bring that type of game on a consistent basis he might still redeem himself as a useful top6 forward. But so far into his career consistency hasn't been something that Pulju is known for so it will take quite a large sample size before you can really tell what type of player we got here, but this game was definitely a big step in the right direction.

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
I have a lot of confidence in our offence now that Puljujarvi has arrived.

He’s basically a taller Yamamoto. Different skill set no doubt but they both have a solid work ethic shift after shift.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Where is the defence on the first line?

Neal sluggong around , fun thing ti see. Or sad. I dont know

Considering the McDavid line gets such heavy usage offensively, and he's a possession cheat code, I wouldn't be that concerned.

As for Neal, Maroon was also a slug, but work well with McDavid. Guys that are willing to go to the dirty areas do well with McDavid, regardless of skating speed.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Considering the McDavid line gets such heavy usage offensively, and he's a possession cheat code, I wouldn't be that concerned.

As for Neal, Maroon was also a slug, but work well with McDavid. Guys that are willing to go to the dirty areas do well with McDavid, regardless of skating speed.

Does really Neal go well with McDavid? Hasnt gjat been tried, and failed?

traffic cone

May 12, 2011

Maybe they get some much offense because there’s enough two-way play with a guy like RNH on that line.

It would be disastrous to see McDavid ”waste” his ice time circling around and chasing the opponents just because James Neal has zero defensive ability. Or to see the whole line spend too much time in their own end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad