Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi Discussion Part 4 [UPD: Nov 24th Recalled]

Status
Not open for further replies.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
5 years after being drafted Wheeler had 45 points in the NHL.
3 seasons after being drafted Scheifele had 34 points in 63 games.
Couturier had a career high of 39 points prior to getting 76 last season.
Prior to his 4th season post draft Ryan Johansen had 14-19-33 and a -9 in 107 NHL games.

The odds may not be in his favor, but I'm not ready to give up on him and thankfully neither is our coach and GM.

At least his 2nd contract should be manageable

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
Seguin, Getzlaf, Perry, Sedins, etc, etc
Don't waste your time. If it doesnt fit the narrative it never happened.
What is somehow lost on many is he was playing 3rd/4th line because he was incapable of playing higher up the lineup at that juncture. Which you could not say about Laine et al.
Its a false equivalency.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
he's also being judged by/compared to the players we didn't take (Tkachuk, Sergachev). This team just has a knack for picking the one choice out of 3 or 4 that ends up underachieving. Its highly, tho not impossible, that Pulju has a better career than Tkachuk.

As for players that don't show signs of top line quality, then do later, about the only one I can think of is Blake Wheeler.

Very true. Guess it depends on your definition of later. Jesse turned 20 this spring. He was was still a teenager 7 months ago. Tons of player who end up being top liners don’t even play an NHL game before they are 20.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Eventful game. A nice snipe and an own goal

Sorry to say but I just knew you will come and say this after seeing your msg in the GDT :)

Anyway, another good game from Pulju so things are still going slowly to the right direction, don't you agree? Considering he doesn't get barely any PP time and he's playing such low ES minutes (today 8:51) 3 contributions to a goal in the last 4 games means he's finally starting to give his output to the team scoring. Too bad his goal was the only one tonight.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Finally got a well deserved goal. He’s one of the lone bright spots from tonight.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Sorry to say but I just knew you will come and say this after seeing your msg in the GDT :)

Anyway, another good game from Pulju so things are still going slowly to the right direction, don't you agree? Considering he doesn't get barely any PP time and he's playing such low ES minutes (today 8:51) 3 contributions to a goal in the last 4 games means he's finally starting to give his output to the team scoring. Too bad his goal was the only one tonight.

It was a nice goal. Him and JJ play well together

Reactions: GameChanger

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
Wouldn't mind a lineup shakeup after the lack of scoring lately

JP showing he's producing in limited minutes over that stretch, so maybe give him a top 6 shot.

Khaira McDavid JP
Drai rnh Chiasson
Reider Brodziak Kassian
Cagguila Spooner lucic

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

space321

May 11, 2011

JP showing he's producing in limited minutes over that stretch, so maybe give him a top 6 shot.

Khaira McDavid JP
Drai rnh Chiasson
Reider Brodziak Kassian
Cagguila Spooner lucic

I really want to see a lineup where we actually use all 3 of our centres as centres.

Put Caggiula and Rieder(Zykov?) with 97

Khaira and JP with 29

Sorry Nuge you get Zykov/Chiasson/etc.

4th line Identity Line.

Play that lineup and see what happens. We can't keep putting all our eggs in the 97+29 basket.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018

Khaira McDavid JP
Drai rnh Chiasson
Reider Brodziak Kassian
Cagguila Spooner lucic

lol, I posted the exact same top-6 in another thread.

Reactions: Hopelessoilfan

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
Low minutes, one goal scored, two goals against: good game. Nice to see him scoring on the onetimer and demanding the puck more.

He has been very unlucky in his own end - the two goals against were not at all his fault, in fact he made a nice defensive play on the goal that shouldn't really have counted.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
I really want to see a lineup where we actually use all 3 of our centres as centres.

Put Caggiula and Rieder(Zykov?) with 97

Khaira and JP with 29

Sorry Nuge you get Zykov/Chiasson/etc.

4th line Identity Line.

Play that lineup and see what happens. We can't keep putting all our eggs in the 97+29 basket.

I just don't have faith in the three centers all being able to carry a line.

Nuge and drai are good, but aren't going to be dragging this sad group of wingers onto the scoresheet. I'd personally like to see nuge and drai together so maybe the other team thinks twice about which line to spend their resources on shutting down.

McDavid is scary on his own, but drai and nuge together could be just as dangerous if they play the way we know they can, combined with our best goalscoring winger, and suddenly you've got a 1a and 1b situation where they either shut mcdavid down and let nuge drai and Chiasson feast on lesser competition, or shut down that line and risk McDavid bouncing pucks off of whatever anchors he's carrying around that night.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
Seguin, Getzlaf, Perry, Sedins, etc, etc
Every player I cited is from Puljujarvi's draft class. NHL clubs don't break rookies into the NHL the way they used to. Almost every single high-end prospect gets top nine duties at a minimum with powerplay time.

To respond to your five examples, though: nope. All five of them had clear development paths.

Seguin: D+1 in NHL on fourth line with second unit powerplay time.

Sedins: D+1 in Sweden, D+2 all season in NHL on third line with Druken.

Getzlaf and Perry: D+1 in juniors, D+2 in juniors, D+3 in AHL to start session before moving to NHL full-time with powerplay time.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I just don't have faith in the three centers all being able to carry a line.

Nuge and drai are good, but aren't going to be dragging this sad group of wingers onto the scoresheet. I'd personally like to see nuge and drai together so maybe the other team thinks twice about which line to spend their resources on shutting down.

McDavid is scary on his own, but drai and nuge together could be just as dangerous if they play the way we know they can, combined with our best goalscoring winger, and suddenly you've got a 1a and 1b situation where they either shut mcdavid down and let nuge drai and Chiasson feast on lesser competition, or shut down that line and risk McDavid bouncing pucks off of whatever anchors he's carrying around that night.

This is what I was hoping Hitch would do by now (maybe he will since the 1st line has been mediocre for a few games).

Caggiula - McDavid - Rieder
Draisaitl - Nugent-Hopkins - Chiasson
Lucic - Brodziak - Kassian
Khaira - Spooner - Puljujarvi

Interchange wingers on 4th and first as necessary / double shift McDavid. Seems like the best way to spread the wealth and load up the 2nd line.

And on the game, Puljujarvi was easily one of the best forwards this game, two goals against he had nothing to do with notwithstanding.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
This is what I was hoping Hitch would do by now (maybe he will since the 1st line has been mediocre for a few games).

Caggiula - McDavid - Rieder
Draisaitl - Nugent-Hopkins - Chiasson
Lucic - Brodziak - Kassian
Khaira - Spooner - Puljujarvi

Interchange wingers on 4th and first as necessary / double shift McDavid. Seems like the best way to spread the wealth and load up the 2nd line.

And on the game, Puljujarvi was easily one of the best forwards this game, two goals against he had nothing to do with notwithstanding.
You want a guy with literally 0 goals on your top line? That 2nd line looks nice though. I would put JP/McD/JJ.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018

Jesse's 3rd of the year.

The more he learns how to find those soft spots like that, the more dangerous he becomes. Great look by Khaira.

Khaira and JP are really good together, and they both do not hold on to the puck for too long. McDavid centering them would look great.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Jesse's 3rd of the year.

The more he learns how to find those soft spots like that, the more dangerous he becomes. Great look by Khaira.

If he's going to be a top six NHL player he's basically going to master doing exactly that (finding an open spot for a shot release).

He's somewhat mediocre with the puck on his stick, he needs to tailor his game to just getting to open spots and letting our centers do most of the work, this is basically what Chiasson does.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
I would also like to mention that the Sedins were shat on for years before breaking out.

First round picks who took more than three years to become first line calibre: Sedins, Koivu, Kesler, Ladd, Wheeler, Pacioretty, Schenn, Kreider, Granlund, Schwartz, Couturier.

Reactions: Aerrol and Oilhawks
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad