Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi Discussion Part 4 [UPD: Nov 24th Recalled]

Status
Not open for further replies.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Good work Jesse, I have a feeling Hitch will get much more out of him when he’s back up with the Oilers again soon.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Good work Jesse, I have a feeling Hitch will get much more out of him when he’s back up with the Oilers again soon.

He can’t be happy with Spooner or Rattie’s games under him so far. There’s a spot on Nuge’s wing right there for the claiming... hell there’s 2 if Chiasson goes cold, which is bound to happen eventually.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
He can’t be happy with Spooner or Rattie’s games under him so far. There’s a spot on Nuge’s wing right there for the claiming...

Absolutely, and Jesse has shown a willingness to play defensive hockey in the past.

I don’t know why but I have a feeling he’s going to play much, much better under Hitch.

Last edited:

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Leave him in Bakersfield. The kid finally looks like he's finding his footing with the group down there so let him continue to build his confidence there.
The situation up here is a bit of a mess and he's not going to come in as some savior so keep him down there until he's without a doubt ready to make the jump back to the NHL. Think about the long term with this kid.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Leave him in Bakersfield. The kid finally looks like he's finding his footing with the group down there so let him continue to build his confidence there.
The situation up here is a bit of a mess and he's not going to come in as some savior so keep him down there until he's without a doubt ready to make the jump back to the NHL. Think about the long term with this kid.

Wing depth on this team might be too brutal to just wait. Bet the whole org has been begging for a the Oilers coach to try to spend time with Jesse. TMac probably never even talked to him, if stories of former players that got jerked around the bottom of the lineup are to be believed, lol. Give Hitch another tool with natural talent to try to make use of.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Wing depth on this team might be too brutal to just wait. Bet the whole org has been begging for a the Oilers coach to try to spend time with Jesse. TMac probably never even talked to him, if stories of former players that got jerked around the bottom of the lineup are to be believed, lol. Give Hitch another tool with natural talent to try to make use of.

I just think it's a bad idea to call him up simply because Chia sucks at his job. The long term development of this player is more important than attempting to save this season by throwing him into the top 6. Maybe he's ready for it, I don't know, but I do know that it's only 5 AHL games (after his next game when they are supposedly calling him up) since he looked completely lost in the NHL.

In any event, it doesn't matter what any of us think because they seem intent on calling him up for next Tuesday so we'll see if he's going to sink or swim. I'm not confident at all that he's ready to swim right now just because of a coaching change. I think some are hailing Hitchcock as some genius because Mclellan didn't do the job and any change would seem like a god send.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aerrol and harpoon

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Honestly I would want to wait until Hitchcock has fully settled in to bring I Puljujarvi. Right now he is focused on getting the team playing his way and throwing in a guy like Pulju who seems to need confidence and a bit more hands on attention might not be the best.

I'd also like to see Pulju hit a bit of a slump and see how he works his way out of it at that level.

Reactions: Aerrol

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Leave Jesse down there for another month. The whole yank him down/up/down/up is too much. It's nice he scored, but the shot from Bear was honestly more impressive. We need to get that Bear up here on PP unit 1 and some point because his shot is an absolute canon.

Reactions: Aerrol

Risingwind

Feb 26, 2015
I’m cautiously optimistic for JP’s future under Hitchcock. Kärpät played a very boring trap for the two years he spent with them in the Liiga, and it’s where he got his defensive schooling from. It’s possible that he goes back to the doggo house, but it’s also somewhat possible that he becomes Hitch’s favourite son with how he plays with defence in mind, something we saw under Todd too. A lot depends on how his board play turns out - If it’s a problem stemming just from the lack of communication, then it could be a really quick fix. He’s also out of his ELC soon. Interesting times for JP.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
The other thing that factors into things too is that this is Pulju's last year of waiver exemption...so sending him freely up and down to the minors stops being easy after this year.

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
That pass to Bear was amazing; it's great to see plays that are indicative of his confidence being properly cultivated

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

What a shot Bear was able to get off while that Puck was bouncing. And Pulju with the smart pass and tracking of the rebound.

Pulju looks so dynamic down there. Hopefully this stint in the A is exactly what he needs and he comes up bringing this same high confidence game.

And... can we get Bear back up yet? Heard he was injured before, looks healthy to me, for a team without any "exceptional passers" there's no reason he shouldn't be up. Especially since Matt Benning sucks ASS

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
t's nice he scored, but the shot from Bear was honestly more impressive. We need to get that Bear up here on PP unit 1 and some point because his shot is an absolute canon.
First time I noticed Bear was a prospect game a couple years ago and he scored on an off balance slap shot from right along the left boards at the blueline. Popped the eyes right out of my head.

Hey, did you catch that play yesterday when both of our ‘top pair’ had their shots blocked (way out high no less) within seconds of one another and almost caused an odd man rush for the Ducks. This team has no one who can shoot the puck from the blueline, and it’s a serious advantage for the opponent night in and night out. I was hoping Garrison would be up to the job, and he had that one beauty, but he’s just too old and beat up now. This team needs Ethan Bear’s shot. Bring him up.

Reactions: Oilhawks and Aerrol
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad