Rumor: Jesse Puljujarvi Discussion: Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
You've got to actually want to learn to learn at a reasonable clip. He seems to want to take the easy way out so it doesn't surprise me that he didn't put what he should've into his game and his learning the language.

This is a guy that has flat out been a let down while Tkachuk down the highway has been very solid. He hasn't been booed at games loudly or really run into the ground by the media until his agent decided to take things public.
This appears to be the case when you sit back and look at the choices made by him. Too bad.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
Even Finnish ski jump legend Matti Nykänen did not speak a word of English
And still he won 5 medals ( 4 golds 1 silver ) in Winter Olympic games.
Langue barrier isn't always an obstacle to athlete's success.

Puljujärvi is young guy and he can still learn English if he wants to.
Pulju did not come to speak English in NHL with his teammates he came to NHL play pro hockey.
Incase you didn’t notice Ski Jump is a SOLO Sport there’s no use to learn English he isn’t on a team in NA where he has to communicate with Coaches and Players in games and practices.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
You have no clue how this works do you? The Oilers hold his rights in the NHL until he's 27 (as long as they keep giving him a qualifying offer - which he doesn't even have to sign!). He can wallow in Europe until a trade offer comes along that suits the team.

I'm pretty sure they don't even have to give him a QO ever again.

I may be wrong.

scholl

Jun 26, 2019
Helsinki, Finland
He is not going to Oulu. I guess it will be Sweden, Switzerland or Jokerit if he doesn't get a NHL contract. Kärpät doesn't have that kind of a budget. Lammikko is their top signing.

Kaptah

Jul 15, 2007
Lots of personal attacks here.
No. A Professional GM will hold Onto the player unless he gets what he feels is good value, or else he’ll hold on to him till someone steps up.
So, if he stinks it up in the future and his career goes down the toilet, your GM is a genius for not getting a second rounder at the draft?

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
This appears to be the case when you sit back and look at the choices made by him. Too bad.

Wish I could find that drive by post from a few months ago where this Finnish poster ripped into JP about how his whole family approached his career.

Whether it was a troll post or not, it definitely foreshadowed a lot of this crap. Namely JP wanting things on a platter rather than hard work

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
Poor guy doesn’t realize a fresh start somewhere else won’t make a difference.... you can’t get away from your brain unfortunately.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Lots of personal attacks here.

So, if he stinks it up in the future and his career goes down the toilet, your GM is a genius for not getting a second rounder at the draft?

His career is going down the toilet everytime he opens his mouth

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
So it may sound like McDavid was indeed referring to JP about his comment. In all fairness to JP then, why would he want to come back with the Oilers? There's gotta be more to it with this circus that's been going on with his mind made up that he wants out and Lucic's comments on looking forward to playing for an older captain. Just looking at everything with an open mind and at face value

In fairness to McD he is a patient man. He waited a longtime before making that comment, and towards the end of another disappointing season in which multiple players were not rowing, and were disinterested at different times. McD even cut Lucic slack multiple times because Lucic was at least bringing the hitting facet of the game. Its hard to defend or acknowledge Pulju in anyway because he was contributing nothing, and for a very long time. Years later, and he never got out of the starting gate.

For Lucic the reason his comment was profoundly unacceptable is that he was a veteran, and was a captain on this team. Milans comment is holy ironic and he seems not even to realize it. Because his whole attitude in hockey has for some reason come to be looking down the bench to see if anybody else will get it done. Lucic seems to find that months on end not scoring is acceptable.

LOL that Lucic was saying such things as "2018 was just a bad year" "I was cursed" and the like. He wasn't playing well enough, enough times, to really get over slumps. He had 7goals in his last 122 GP which is frankly disgusting for a guy that scored an average 22 goals in the 4 previous seasons.

Older captain? Age is relative. Connor is an old soul and has ample maturity. He leads, I would follow. Age doesn't even matter.

Did anybody here question following Gretzky? Messier? Nah.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Edmonton has his NHL rights for another four years. I'm quite sure he doesn't have to play in Europe for more than one or two years. Must be a nightmare. Playing a year or two for his hometown team. Sure he'll only be getting something like 350k$ a year. Guess he dislikes your captain or city so much, that he risks loosing a million. He has fulfilled his contract and earned the right to say he does not want to play with you. Get over it.

So apparently Lucic was not the problem. Pulju probably doesn't get along with McD. And at the same time Lucic is on record saying how much he likes an older captain. Where there is smoke...

Ahhh, so McDavid is the problem! I should have figured. Holland is such a dunce that he should be trading McDavid. It was right in front of us the entire time....I feel like such an idiot. The Oilers should be hiring you as their personality consultant to avoid future disasters such as this one!

Jesse had a three year contract. He fulfilled it. Now he can choose where he wants to play. I respect him betting on himself becoming a top 6 NHL player, even if this route means less money short term.

Are you familiar with the term "Restricted" Free Agent and the terms under which it falls in the CBA? My guess is "no".

I guess Jesse just did something that is common amongst the older players: Added Edmonton to his no-trade list. Guess he is more mature than you give him credit for.

IMG_7607.JPG

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Poor guy doesn’t realize a fresh start somewhere else won’t make a difference.... you can’t get away from your brain unfortunately.
I like this post, wanted to say something around it.

Pulju is his own worst enemy now. Its startling that he doubled down on the "don't want to play here" antics when he already should have known how his own agents comments got shot down, and not just here, the agent comments were vilified around NHL circles and the situation widely mocked. Pulju, not even paying attention to that says the same thing a month later and while stating that he wasn't even sure what his agent had been saying.

The one saving grace for Pulju is that a month or so ago it was his agent saying the crap. But then Pulju says it too...sigh.

My, my. Pulju strikes one as a lazy surfer dude taking another summer figuring out what to do with his life. (which is ironic because he had a pro hockey career nicely mapped out). Noticing a pattern now where Pulju seems most happy in offseason, or early season, and most forlorn as seasons progress. Its not inconsequential that his comments and detachment from the org come out in what is another long summer vacay. (which I suspect he likes very much, maybe more than the playoffs).

Its interesting that Pulju is boldest when away from here. He seems that kind of individual that will say things when away, that he wouldn't say if he was in the room. Theres no need for me to spell it out further than that.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Why is everyone bringing up Jesse’s English as if that has any bearing on being a good player or teammate? Most Russian star players don’t speak English well.

Sorry but this is some seriously flawed logic. All cases aren't equal. For every example you may cite as it doesn't matter, you will find 10 where it did.

Watch one of those survivalist competitions. Why do some people excel? Why do some fail? The ability to process your surroundings equally are not one and the same.

But in JPs case, we know language was/is a factor b/c management said it was. After his first year both TM and Chia when asked about JPs struggles...cited his difficulty with English

Guess what hasn't improved?...his English

Last edited:

Kaptah

Jul 15, 2007
If Holland bends over and trades Jesse to east coast, and Jesse plays top 6 worthy next season, I don't need anything for Xmas. Just being able to read HFB will do :D

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
If Holland bends over and trades Jesse to east coast, and Jesse plays top 6 worthy next season, I don't need anything for Xmas. Just being able to read HFB will do :D

Reading your post history you seem to have an issue with McDavid and his "leadership".

"He is a minus player, who has made bad defensive mistakes last two games. I wonder why nobody isn't questioning his leadership and defensive play. Funny how untouchable he is."

Also reading your post history you have a PJ bias and cannot be objective about his game whatsoever.

PJwill play top 6 worthy only in your dreams. If he was top 6 worthy he would already be playing top 6 minutes in Edmonton where he cant get out of his own way, gets pushed to the outside, doesn't use his frame and size on the forecheck on anywhere near a consistent basis, cant complete a leading pass, takes outside shots and plays the perimeter far too often.

Reactions: TB12

Kaptah

Jul 15, 2007
I know Jesse hasn't been good enough. But I also think Oilers bringing him to NA too soon messed him up a bit, and that last season his hip injury was severely hampering him. I truly believe he may be able to turn into a good top 6 player in another team.

Sometimes people just don't get along with each other, and I find it funny how untouchable McDavid is to you. Maybe he did not deal with Jesse the best possible way as an inexperienced captain. Saying that is not possible because McD is some kind of saint and god is just plain stupid.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I know Jesse hasn't been good enough. But I also think Oilers bringing him to NA too soon messed him up a bit, and that last season his hip injury was severely hampering him. I truly believe he may be able to turn into a good top 6 player in another team.

Sometimes people just don't get along with each other, and I find it funny how untouchable McDavid is to you. Maybe he did not deal with Jesse the best possible way as a caotain. Saying that is not possible because McD is some kind of saint and god is just plain stupid.

Hmm. top scorer and Ted Lindsay award winner - twice before the age of 22 -, wears his heart on his sleeve, doesn't speak poorly about anyone, and is generous with his time for the fans and the face of the NHL. Funny how that gets someone "untouchable" status.

If you speak to anyone in professional hockey coaching or players who have coached or played with him, and I have, they will tell you that McDavid is beyond his years in maturity and leadership. Perhaps the flip side of the coin is true, that maybe JP has a problem.

I would say JP is earning his reputation in the same manner McDavid is earning his.

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017
I agree with Holland waiting and not caving. I thinking ideally this deal needs to be conditional. A good young prospect and if JP scoees 20 goals we get a second rounder. If he scores 20 we get 2 second rounders or something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad