Rumor: Jesse Puljujarvi Discussion: Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Honestly, JP can go pound sand.

It's not like he's even where Drouin was at as a player when he made his trade request. He didn't get ice time because he isn't a good player at this point.

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
Yeah, I doubt we'll be seeing him in the NHL anytime soon, if ever. This season will probably be spent either in Oulu or in Sweden. Then a few years later, probably in Switzerland.

But for Oulu, I'm not sure if they still have room in their roster - the pre-season started yesterday and the regular season begins in 5 weeks (September 12).

scholl

Jun 26, 2019
Helsinki, Finland
What a stupid moron. Like i said before, looks stupid, acts stupid, and plays stupid. Jarmo's grasp of finnish helped him sniff out the stupid. Oilers management were too busy drooling over his size and smile and visions of Kurri to have even hired a translator during interview period I bet.

Everybody who watched the U20 Championships saw that he wasn't the smartest guy in interviews. I was really worried when Oilers picked him. I thought that they probably won't give the attention that the boy needs because they've had so many top picks recently. The situation would have been much easier somewhere where the media attention is smaller (Arizona, Florida etc.) but where the organization has a bigger "need" to develop the player.

Everytime when language skills are mentioned, someone says that there are Russian players who don't speak English. In my opinion Puljujärvi cannot be compared to those guys because Jesse wants to be the funny guy, center of attention in the locker room and that's not gonna happen when his language skills are so limited. That stresses him and consequently he performs worse. Hence, he wants to spend as much time as possible with his friends in Oulu where he can be the old Jesse.

Honestly I don't understand why he doesn't travel to Florida and learn from Olli Jokinen. He could do training there in OJ's academy and spend time in an English speaking environment until he gets a new contract.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

scholl

Jun 26, 2019
Helsinki, Finland
Jesse's value is probably at it's highest right now. Bad play in the end of last season can be explained with hip injury. If he continues to suck in Finland next season, he'll be worth a 4th. Now you'll probably get a late 1st.

I agree with you. I was thinking exactly the same yesterday that Oilers could cut losses quickly and trade him to an organization, which isn't going to have a top pick in 2020. If he goes to Europe and it doesn't go very well in Switzerland or in Russia, his journey back to the NHL would be a long one. What about Rangers or Florida? Those are probably the organizations with highest picks that Oilers could probably get.

Omark

Tesla stock
Aug 5, 2011
Espoo, Finland
^^Agree.

What is the probability that Pulju raises his value by playing in Europe? European leagues are not that bad that clumsy awkward player like Pulju could produce ppg or even close to that.

Just trade him asap. Unless Oilers wants revenge but that's more HFB thing. :D

Reactions: scholl

BamaOil

Nov 18, 2018
I wonder what this post is...

For clarity the last time this poster was seen here posting much he was calling out Connor McDavid on everything.

Am I the only one connecting the dots here?

Must be Jack Eichel still salty about going #2 behind McDavid.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
Even the most diehard JP 'haters' (if you wanna call it that) were wondering if JP was just stupid and letting his agent dictate it all.

Nope. Turns out the whole notion of the agent being just an extension of the player was true after all. Guy just doesn't want to be here.

Jives with the McDavid quote of essentially telling those that dont want to be here to GTFO. Also corroborates with what my coworker had said about locker room cancers.
So it may sound like McDavid was indeed referring to JP about his comment. In all fairness to JP then, why would he want to come back with the Oilers? There's gotta be more to it with this circus that's been going on with his mind made up that he wants out and Lucic's comments on looking forward to playing for an older captain. Just looking at everything with an open mind and at face value

Last edited:

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
Honestly I don't understand why he doesn't travel to Florida and learn from Olli Jokinen. He could do training there in OJ's academy and spend time in an English speaking environment until he gets a new contract.
I don't think he has the money for that. He seems like the kind of guy that spends everything he gets in a flashy way. He can probably hang around in Oulu for a year, but then he'll need to find a place.

Reactions: scholl

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I don't think the reality that Holland isn't going to deal him for pennies has sunk in.

Plus considering he still hasn't signed in Oulu, I think he might be in for a rough surprise there. I can't imagine that team has much time for a player playing a "will I, won't I" game with the NHL, and leaving a top 6 spot open to him.

I don't doubt that he still wants a trade, and that article isn't really telling us much new. I think the bigger question is –even if it isn't his main want – is he still open to showing up to TC. I guess we find out in 6-weeks.

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
Plus considering he still hasn't signed in Oulu, I think he might be in for a rough surprise there. I can't imagine that team has much time for a player playing a "will I, won't I" game with the NHL, and leaving a top 6 spot open to him.
The Top 6 in Oulu is already populated by far more accomplished players than Puljujärvi. He's looking at a 3rd line + PP2 situation at best. If he really outdoes himself, he might break into the 2nd line. We're talking about a team that has won 6 out of past 14 Finnish championships, and has played in the finals 8 out of the past 14 seasons.

Reactions: Omark

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
^^Agree.

What is the probability that Pulju raises his value by playing in Europe? European leagues are not that bad that clumsy awkward player like Pulju could produce ppg or even close to that.

Just trade him asap. Unless Oilers wants revenge but that's more HFB thing. :D
The probability that he raises his value I'd guess is about 64% (22% chance of stagnant value & 14% chance of drop in value), most European leagues will have trouble dealing with his speed and size combo, European leagues don't tend to shut down players of his ilk anywhere near as well as the NHL, plus just having the extra skating room will benefit his game. Generally a better indicator for how someone will perform abroad is looking at how they did in the AHL (3rd best league in the world), given how Jesse did in that environment, where he was also not happy to be there and didn't have many countrymen to speak to, I'd imagine we'd only see better results in a place he is happier to be and has friends he can chat with. I don't know why Jesse's game seems to be so tied to being happy socially, but based on all prior evidence it sure seems to be the case.

Also I don't believe Pulju necessarily needs to go at a point per game clip to increase his value, it really will depend on what European league he ends up in to dictate an appropriate benchmark. The benchmark I'd like to target is that his NHL equivalency for the appropriate league translates to 40 NHL points, though at this point I think just showing that he can be a big fast skilled attacker on a pretty regular basis that is tough to contain is really all most scouts will be looking for out of him, if he demonstrates that on most nights that he is scouted, it will probably be enough to lift his value off the basement floor.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThePhoenixx

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
What an awful post.
Par for the course if you check the history. Lots of allusion to Jesse feeling like he's deserving a top 6 role only (and only in the NHL), plus a hand shake deal with Chia and his agent to make it so. Kid doesn't play like a top sixer so the coaches play him to succeed (3rd line defensive role). Kid doesn't like it and sulks. Kid realizes with Chia gone that the hand shake deal is gone too...wants a "fresh start".

Reactions: BamaOil

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Maybe he didn’t understand what they asked because he doesn’t speak English ??

Even Finnish ski jump legend Matti Nykänen did not speak a word of English
And still he won 5 medals ( 4 golds 1 silver ) in Winter Olympic games.
Langue barrier isn't always an obstacle to athlete's success.

Puljujärvi is young guy and he can still learn English if he wants to.
Pulju did not come to speak English in NHL with his teammates he came to NHL play pro hockey.

Last edited:

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
I wonder what this post is...

For clarity the last time this poster was seen here posting much he was calling out Connor McDavid on everything.

Am I the only one connecting the dots here?

You mean that he is a troll?

Oh he is one alright. I would go so far as saying he is a commie loving, worker unite against the evil western world kind of guy.

You all know the type. I doubt he uses deodorant. ;)

Last edited:

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Jesse had a three year contract. He fulfilled it. Now he can choose where he wants to play. I respect him betting on himself becoming a top 6 NHL player, even if this route means less money short term.
You have no clue how this works do you? The Oilers hold his rights in the NHL until he's 27 (as long as they keep giving him a qualifying offer - which he doesn't even have to sign!). He can wallow in Europe until a trade offer comes along that suits the team.

Wewillrise

Jul 25, 2015
Even Finnish ski jump legend Matti Nykänen did not speak a word of English
And still he won 5 medals ( 4 golds 1 silver ) in Winter Olympics.
Langue barrier isn't always an obstacle to athlete's success.

Puljujärvi is young guy and he can still learn English if he wants to.
Pulju did not come to speak English in NHL with his teammates he came to NHL play pro hockey.
LOL, cause you have to speak English in a solo sport?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad