Rumor: Jesse Puljujarvi Discussion: Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
He is not going to Oulu. I guess it will be Sweden, Switzerland or Jokerit if he doesn't get a NHL contract. Kärpät doesn't have that kind of a budget. Lammikko is their top signing.

Jokerit seems unlikely.

Their season starts in less than a month and another KHL team still holds Pulju's rights.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I know Jesse hasn't been good enough. But I also think Oilers bringing him to NA too soon messed him up a bit, and that last season his hip injury was severely hampering him. I truly believe he may be able to turn into a good top 6 player in another team.

Sometimes people just don't get along with each other, and I find it funny how untouchable McDavid is to you. Maybe he did not deal with Jesse the best possible way as an inexperienced captain. Saying that is not possible because McD is some kind of saint and god is just plain stupid.

You blaming McDavid because JP is a garbage player is stupid.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Random Thoughts… Puljujarvi Doubles Down

4. What about Jesse Puljujärvi? Ken Holland has stuck to his opening comment about Puljujärvi. He wasn’t going to rush a trade and I got the sense Holland and Tippett would like to evaluate Puljujärvi on their own. I thought there was a still a chance that could happen, but in a recent article today Puljujärvi doubled down that he doesn’t want to return to Edmonton. The article was in Finland, but Edmonton-based Finnish reporter Jouni Nieminen translated some main parts of the article and sent it to me.
“I want a new start on some other team. Playing in North America is still my goal. I will stay in Oulu until I have a contract. I will find a place to play somewhere,” said the young Finn. Puljujärvi is still holding out hope he will get traded before training camp.
5. Clearly he wasn’t happy in Edmonton. I’m not sure this will change Holland’s plan though. He will trade Puljujärvi when he gets a deal that helps the Oilers. The problem for Puljujärvi is if he doesn’t show up, how much of a loss is that for the Oilers right now? Not much. Today, he isn’t a difference maker in the NHL. He might become one in the future, but he isn’t now, so Holland doesn’t have to rush into a deal.
After seeing Buffalo acquire a good, young defender in Henri Jokiharju for Alex Nylander, who was drafted four picks after Puljujärvi in 2016 and has produced even less than Puljujärvi, it illustrates if Holland is patient he might be able to get a solid prospect in return.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Jesse is doing the right thing. He'll probably be traded soon, and one year is the maximun Oilers can realistically wait before trading his rights. You really don't have as much leverage as your GM is trying to present.
More leverage than Puljujarvi.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
If Holland bends over and trades Jesse to east coast, and Jesse plays top 6 worthy next season, I don't need anything for Xmas. Just being able to read HFB will do :D
Only team out east that he might have a shot in the top 6 is Ottawa

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I know Jesse hasn't been good enough. But I also think Oilers bringing him to NA too soon messed him up a bit, and that last season his hip injury was severely hampering him. I truly believe he may be able to turn into a good top 6 player in another team.

Sometimes people just don't get along with each other, and I find it funny how untouchable McDavid is to you. Maybe he did not deal with Jesse the best possible way as an inexperienced captain. Saying that is not possible because McD is some kind of saint and god is just plain stupid.

And then his breakfast was cold, and then he stepped in a puddle on the way to the rink, and then the trainer didn't clean his equipment the way he likes, then coach didn't coach him in Finnish so he couldn't understand, and then Connor said something mean to him, and he actually wanted #99 but they wouldnt let him so he had to settle for #98 and it's really thrown off his game.

Plenty of players around the league and on the Oilers have overcome missteps in their development to become good players. If Jesse can't recognize that while the team may have mishandled him at some points, he also owns a good portion of the blame for his lack of development. If he doesn't take ownership of his play then a change of scenery won't do him any good and he will be playing in Finland permanently sooner rather then later.

McDavid is about as close to a Saint/God in the hockey world as you can get. The guy is a consumate pro sports athlete and any player, coach and executive around the league will tell you that. He has captained almost every team he's played on since he was a child. He's had to deal with everything that comes along with being a star athlete since he was 16 years old.

Again by trying to connect Jesse's failures as a player to McDavid's ability to be a captain you are just making excuses for this young man. The Oilers are trying to work with him, he has the option to compete for a spot on the Oilers and there are spots available in the Oilers top 9 and next to guys like McD, Drai, RNH and all he has to do is be better then other younger players or the likes of guys like Chiasson, Kassian, Gagner, Granlund, Archibald and so on. But the Oilers have also been supportive of Jesse returning to play in Europe if he feels more comfortable. If he can't make it here where the competition is relatively weak and the management group is being pretty accommodating, then he doesn't have a shot of doing it on another NHL club.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
What's the most funny is this guy keeps saying "usual posters". There were no usual posters. There were like 3 who saw he sucked. Everyone else was supporting him until he said F U to the team

Now the scope has broadened due to JP giving the finger to the team and this skippy is acting as if it's being happening all along by the masses

Pathetic and predictable posting unfortunately.

So much drama. Yet nothing has changed on the Puljujarvi front in months.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Jesse's value is probably at it's highest right now. Bad play in the end of last season can be explained with hip injury. If he continues to suck in Finland next season, he'll be worth a 4th. Now you'll probably get a late 1st.

Hahaha sorry bud but even the biggest Puljujarvi supporters can see that his value in the NHL is nothing and possibly negative right now. If he sucks in Finland it’ll be nothing, if he plays well in finland it will still likely be nothing. What he needs to do is put on his big boy pants and play his butt off for the Oilers this year if he wants to have any value to any NHL team. It’s doubtful that he is capable of that though because during his first three seasons he has only decreased his NHL value by playing poorly more often than not.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
We draft entitled d-bags far too often.

Hey at least Jesse doesn’t have his own name tattooed across his back :laugh:

Or it could be the reality that many hockey players are entitled douchebags, it’s just that fans overlook it if the player is good.

BamaOil

Nov 18, 2018
Par for the course if you check the history. Lots of allusion to Jesse feeling like he's deserving a top 6 role only (and only in the NHL), plus a hand shake deal with Chia and his agent to make it so. Kid doesn't play like a top sixer so the coaches play him to succeed (3rd line defensive role). Kid doesn't like it and sulks. Kid realizes with Chia gone that the hand shake deal is gone too...wants a "fresh start".

I think you nailed this. I can totally see a kid who gets drafted that high automatically thinks he's a top 6 player, and when it doesn't work out, might look to the guys he was playing with thinking they suck, which might be fair to say. This thought keeps brewing in his head, and he thinks if only I played with good players like I did at the U20, then I'll be great again.

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007

Jouni Nieminen@OnsideWithJouni

Jesse Puljujärvi tonight to Kaleva Newspaper at a charity game in Oulu: "I want a new start with some other team. Playing in North America is still my goal." "I will stay on Oulu until I have a contract. I will find a place to play somewhere".
4:42 PM - Aug 2, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy
Because there hasn’t been any new news on the Puljujarvi front in months so they are looking for anything and everything to trash the player.

The thing is there was more news that came out, it was just yesterday, so it's JP that is stirring the pot again

Reactions: guymez and frag2

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

Jouni Nieminen@OnsideWithJouni

Jesse Puljujärvi tonight to Kaleva Newspaper at a charity game in Oulu: "I want a new start with some other team. Playing in North America is still my goal." "I will stay on Oulu until I have a contract. I will find a place to play somewhere".
4:42 PM - Aug 2, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy

The thing is there was more news that came out, it was just yesterday, so it's JP that is stirring the pot again

How is that new news? It’s exactly what has been said for months. He was asked a question and he answered. Best thing for Jesse right now would be to say no comment most likely.

Last edited:

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
So what’s changed? Nothing. It’s like a girl who didn’t want to date you two months ago once again turned you down and you’re all ******** all over again :laugh:

Maybe JP should keep his mouth shut? A pro would pull the 'talk to my agent' card. Guy clearly is an entitled idiot who has zero grasp of what's going on other than me me me me me.

But of course you're gonna somehow spin it as it's everyone else's fault.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
How is that new news? It’s exactly what has been said for months.

It's new in that it's from the horses ass's mouth this time :)

No more pinning it solely on the agent who has also botched this horribly.

If I'm McDavid, Drai and Nuge I'd tell Holland that unless this guy comes back on his hands and knees begging to come back he can stay in Europe unless we get something of use for him.

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
How is that new news? It’s exactly what has been said for months.
Fine it is old news, but he's making sure to bring it up again and making it clear, just in case we have still hope for him, that he playing days in Edmonton are done.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
So what’s changed? Nothing. It’s like a girl who didn’t want to date you two months ago once again turned you down and you’re all ******** all over again :laugh:

Alot changed. You just ignore facts.

Didn't you argue his agent was perhaps misrepresenting him? You constantly have used the old " did we hear this from Jesse" argument....over and over

Now we have heard it right from Jesse that he doesn't want anything to do with EDM.

So ya, I'd say there's some justification for discussion

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
players are allowed to ask for a trade, but I don't think they should be able to demand it. He is not under contract, but the RFA rights provisions in the CBA were put there for a reason. If you want to enjoy the fruits of the NHL you have to accept the rules. It's better to trade a player who wants out, but if there aren't fair offers out there, then there is NO WAY we should trade him, period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad