Rumor: Jesse Puljujarvi Discussion: Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
continue

Jesse's agent Markus Lehto was interviewed today about the situation. The part about Jesse starts at about 2h 20m.

July 9 : Tanner Pearson ready for break out season - Sportsnet.ca

Well right now the choice is Europe or Edmonton.

They can figure out for themselves what they want to do.

Holland isn’t trading him for pennies on the dollar no matter who his agent talks to.

I think his agent thinks continually going to the media is going to turn the heat up on Holland.

He needs to have a conversation with Andreas Athanasiou’s agent and see how that worked out for him.

Do you realize that I just posted about how much I have criticized Jesse...

You’re the one defending the Edmonton Oilers management. Let that sink in. The worst management group in modern NHL history. The management group who has wasted and failed to develop more top prospects than any other...you’re defending them damn near to the death here.

He and Marner will make great teammates

Eberle, Klefbom, Nurse (still developing). Not top three picks yet they seemed to be okay.

I’m defending the Oilers management? What are you talking about?

The most interesting tidbit of info is that he backtracked on the supposed trade or Europe demand. If Jesse is open to the possibility of coming back, you don’t even slightly bend on your trade ask. There’s no question he has red flags, but if he comes in with the right mindset, there’s still a chance we see an effective player next year

Eberle has been a pretty big disappointment after his rookie season. Can’t really say the Oilers developed him at all as he was a better player his first game than he has been since. I’ll give you Klefbom because the Oilers can’t control all of his injuries. So that’s one pick that you could say has reached his potential and been developed well out of hundreds. Pretty damning

Reactions: nabob

Rufus Aslegard

Jun 15, 2019
Maybe some team will trade a 2020 first rounder for JP. Maybe CBJ would trade their #1 next year for JP.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
In the last thread, I learned that questioning if someone has the drive to be a professional sports player is considered character assassination. Same goes for wondering if someone's lack of English will become detrimental to one's success.

Such a strange society we live these days. smh

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Like Nuge's comment about the agent back pedaling. Maybe they are seeing it's not as easy as they thought to make demands.

I also poise this scenario as Haas apparently has a similar agreement. Jesse come to camp, pre-season and give it until x-mas. If you still want out we will look for a trade, if there is not suitable trade then we will loan you to the KHL.

Reactions: The Nuge

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
In the last thread, I learned that questioning if someone has the drive to be a professional sports player is considered character assassination. Same goes for wondering if someone's lack of English will become detrimental to one's success.

Such a strange society we live these days. smh
The English really irks me out of everything. I've worked with a couple companies now that employ foreign workers. The age range has generally been 30-50. How is it after a couple summers of working here they are able to pick up the language well enough to communicate on construction sites, but a young kid can't?

Our job never required them to learn the language as well, but they did as it made their lives easier.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Like Nuge's comment about the agent back pedaling. Maybe they are seeing it's not as easy as they thought to make demands.

I also poise this scenario as Haas apparently has a similar agreement. Jesse come to camp, pre-season and give it until x-mas. If you still want out we will look for a trade, if there is not suitable trade then we will loan you to the KHL.

You could even structure the contract with a the max singing bonus as a sign of good faith. Say he gets 1.3 million. Give him 600k as a signing bonus up front, and then league minimum salary

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
You could even structure the contract with a the max singing bonus as a sign of good faith. Say he gets 1.3 million. Give him 600k as a signing bonus up front, and then league minimum salary
What would a guy like him get in the KHL anyway?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Nuke made 1.21 over there after putting up better numbers than Pulju, so you’ve got to think it wouldn’t be much
I saw that number as well, few years back so maybe it's more now? Wouldn't be a lot though and if he did get that up front 600k that would be a decent chunk of coin for him.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Yah I get that he needs to be better committed in terms of learning the language, nuances of game etc.

However, I wonder if the leadership group in the room has done everything in the room to make him feel included and valued.

I see a lot of the same flags as when Yak was here. Was documented that he didn't fit because of his personal beliefs, lifestyle etc.

Good teams find a way th bridge that stuff so it doesn't become a distraction.

Reactions: Aerrol

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
I saw that number as well, few years back so maybe it's more now? Wouldn't be a lot though and if he did get that up front 600k that would be a decent chunk of coin for him.

He would probably make pretty close to 500 000 dollars if he played in the FEL. The highest salaries are 400 000 dollars or even a bit more and because of his marketing value Puljujarvi would be highly coveted. In addition to his salary he would definitely be able to make some marketing deals that would give him some extra.

The English really irks me out of everything. I've worked with a couple companies now that employ foreign workers. The age range has generally been 30-50. How is it after a couple summers of working here they are able to pick up the language well enough to communicate on construction sites, but a young kid can't?

Our job never required them to learn the language as well, but they did as it made their lives easier.

I know as a fact that he understood close to everything after two seasons and spoke pretty well. I'm sure at that stage he didn't have trouble understanding what the coaches said and he could talk about the basic stuff with the other players, but it probably still bothered him that he couldn't be quite himself as he had to concentrate on talking more than with Finnish.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
G. Reinhart got 15th and 33rd
D. Strome got N. Schmaltz
A. Nylander got H. Jokiharju

This is the price for Puljujarvi. There is absolutely no reason we shouldn't be able to get this kind of return. Nylander is about as comparable to Pulju as it gets.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
I know we're stacked on D prospects, but I would have done a JP for Jokiharju trade if it was on the table. Damn, I'm sad we missed out on that.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
G. Reinhart got 15th and 33rd
D. Strome got N. Schmaltz
A. Nylander got H. Jokiharju

This is the price for Puljujarvi. There is absolutely no reason we shouldn't be able to get this kind of return. Nylander is about as comparable to Pulju as it gets.
Puljujarvi no longer being waivers exempt is the biggest problem. The three players you mentioned could be safely sent down to the AHL at the time of the trade. Strome is exempt for another season, Nylander for two.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Puljujarvi no longer be waivers exempt is the biggest problem. The three players you mentioned all could/can be safely sent down to the AHL.
If you're trading assets for a reclamation project like that you're expecting them to contribute right away anyways. Chiarelli thought Reinhart was going to play in Edmonton the following year. Chicago put Strome on their 2nd line immediately. They'll likely do the same with Nylander.

Don't think it's a factor.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
If you're trading assets for a reclamation project like that you're expecting them to contribute right away anyways. Chiarelli thought Reinhart was going to play in Edmonton the following year. Chicago put Strome on their 2nd line immediately. They'll likely do the same with Nylander.

Don't think it's a factor.
But you can still put them down in the AHL if they aren't good enough. JP can't be without going through waivers. That's a big difference.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
But you can still put them down in the AHL if they aren't good enough. JP can't be without going through waivers. That's a big difference.
I don't think waiver eligibility is the difference between a very good asset and a 3rd round pick.

Reactions: Aerrol

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I don't think waiver eligibility is the difference between a very good asset and a 3rd round pick.
Puljujarvi has never shown to be a consistent NHL player and now has to be kept on an NHL roster while his team tries to sort out his issues. Ignoring cap dumps, why would anyone trade a proven NHLer or a waivers exempt prospect for JP? There's no logic to that.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
He's not going to be overpaid even in a bottom-six role, then he'll be another depth guy and that's that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad