Rumor: Jesse Puljujarvi Discussion: Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
yep

Koskinen, Jokinen, Pakarinen..

not enuff Finns I guess, jebus, any excuse will do..

Anything I guess instead of just putting some blame squarely where it belongs, on Pulju shoulders.
Well to be honest, it's not really enough support for him.

The video of him catching a ride with a random fan to the airport is pretty telling for me. Imagine being 20 barely speaking English in a new country in that situation. The Oilers did a horrible job supporting him on and off the ice.

Not trying to make excuses for him just pointing out the obvious.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

The video of him catching a ride with a random fan to the airport is pretty telling for me. Imagine being 20 barely speaking English in a new country in that situation. The Oilers did a horrible job supporting him on and off the ice.

You mean like tell him to take English lessons? The Oilers can offer only so much but if he's not gonna listen and follow through, is it really the Oilers fault? I mean, they've wasted roster spots with shitty Finnish players just to hopefully get the guy in the groove.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
But he also said that he wants a new start with some other team. So Can't see how the Oilers are in his cards. JP really has to stop talking like that, he's just making the situation worse, and I was really pulling for him

Yeah.

Two points he made

1) I want to play for another NHL team
2) I will wait in Europe until I have a contract in NA

Put those together, logic suggests that #2 would not happen with the Oilers because of #1 :)

So, I guess Holland should be waiting to see what a year away from the NHL does to Pulju's attitude and touch base again next summer. And hopefully he has a good year which would open up the possibility of a trade that doesn't exist today to get anything of value in return.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
The part that was quoted saying that was not Jesse speaking...unless he was speaking in the 3rd person :laugh:

This requirement can be considered quite exceptional, especially among Finnish players. The three-year contract with Puljujärvi had expired and the player's camp had lost faith in the bright future of the Oilers."

Are we thinking that is Jesse speaking or do I have the wrong quote. Sorry if I’m wrong.
This is the quote I saw:

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

I have to respectfully disagree. He has wanted to play in the NHL his entire life. The NHL is in 2 countries that speak English. Most players from Europe speak English when they arrive here. He decided to not bother to learn the language.

As for a fan taking him to the airport, him playing ice hockey with kids on the break, him sitting with the Oil Kings vs the Oilers, tells nothing.

I have also spoken to Todd McLellan when he was coaching here and he basically said about him that you can lead a horse to water but cant make him drink. Jesse is his own worst enemy IMO.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
And here I thought maybe Jesse would come to his senses...so much for that.
If he wants to double down on stupidity after Holland played him and his agent like fools then good riddance to him.

Curious about your theory that all draft picks are chosen at their correct positions in the draft and the scouts will know where a player belongs based on their entire evaluations of the players (including personality traits, character etc).

Do you feel that holds true with JP as well? Was it the correct choice of the scouts and teams in the NHL to have him selected at #4 in the NHL in his draft?

Edit..
Sorry... that was a theory expressed more by @CycloneSweep in conversations with me. Curious if he feels that way about JP as well.

guymez please ignore the stuff above directed to you... got my HFOil posters wrong for a moment there. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: guymez

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
Curious about you're theory that all draft picks are chosen at their correct positions in the draft and the scouts will know where a player belongs based on their entire elvulations of the players (including personality traits, character etc).

Do you feel that holds true with JP as well? Was it the correct choice of the scouts and teams in the NHL to have him selected at #4 in the NHL in his draft?
That draft was Matthews, Laine and Puljujarvi. Then the rest. This board would have lost their MINDS if the Oilers didn't take Jesse when he miraculously dropped to us. All this does is prove there is no sure thing and the consensus is never correct.

Reactions: Goldmember

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
What is funny in all of this is that nothing has changed, yet all the usual posters have jumped back into here with their pitchforks out acting as if they have been newly personally attacked by Jesse. Things stay the status quo and people freak out all over again. It truly is amazing to watch how a fan base can be so ruthless.

Reactions: Aerrol

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I have never been pro or against JP, just prove yourself one way or the other kiddo. But his petulance I find disgusting. He doesn't get his way so he pouts, takes his toys, goes home and gets a new hairdo. Doesn't matter if he was playing for us or any team, kids that do this in pro sports I have no time for.

Players don't want to play in Edmonton because of A- high Canadian taxes, B- its in the middle of nowhere relative to other major North American sports cities, and C- there is nothing to do here unless you like being frozen to death in winter and love pea gravel sand blasting your car in the spring. Not because of anything that is said in a hockey forum. Also if you think fans are tough here, try Philadelphia or New York. Last time I checked a lot of players want to play there.

I feel that players have the right to ask for a trade, I also feel that teams have the right to say no. I love how Holland has handled this so far. He has made JP and his agent look like amateurs. Like I have said many times, Jesse needs to fire his agent and come to camp in the best shape of his life and fight for his NHL career. Hopefully he does that as I feel he can still be a valuable member of the team moving forward...if he applies himself and chooses to be.
Fans in Philly are tough I’ll give you that. But when it comes to hockey they’re largely apathetic

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I feel that players have the right to ask for a trade, I also feel that teams have the right to say no. I love how Holland has handled this so far. He has made JP and his agent look like amateurs. Like I have said many times, Jesse needs to fire his agent and come to camp in the best shape of his life and fight for his NHL career. Hopefully he does that as I feel he can still be a valuable member of the team moving forward...if he applies himself and chooses to be.
Fans in Philly are tough I’ll give you that. But when it comes to hockey they’re largely apathetic

I don't disagree that a player has a right to ask for a trade, but in JPs case, he really has handled this poorly, and it's clear the agent is merely doing JP's bidding. He doesn't seem to want to fight for his NHL career, he seems to want one handed to him on a silver platter.

Flyer fans are tough on their players, as are Ranger fans who can be merciless and both are big sports media cities.

Either way, the Oilers have offered JP a clean slate with the biggest opportunity in hockey for a young winger. For him to turn it down? Simply says to me he has some issues that are of his own making. He will be traded but he simply is hurting his own cause by his statements.

Reactions: frag2 and guymez

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I don't disagree that a player has a right to ask for a trade, but in JPs case, he really has handled this poorly, and it's clear the agent is merely doing JP's bidding. He doesn't seem to want to fight for his NHL career, he seems to want one handed to him on a silver platter.

Flyer fans are tough on their players, as are Ranger fans who can be merciless and both are big sports media cities.

Either way, the Oilers have offered JP a clean slate with the biggest opportunity in hockey for a young winger. For him to turn it down? Simply says to me he has some issues that are of his own making. He will be traded but he simply is hurting his own cause by his statements.

I honestly don’t think he’ll be traded by Holland unless holland feels he is getting fair value. Which at this point is impossible due to Jesse’s stupid actions and words. He is extremely naive it seems which is a disappointment.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
Ok, we wasted a 4 pick so dont give him away. He can stay in Europe until we get our investment back. Good luck to all sides.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
That’s unfair to Yak, Yak never pulled these kinds of stunts, if I recall he signed a week or two after the season ended. Yak also learned English.

Yep. Pulju could take a lesson or two from Yak about how to be a pro. Yak never held out despite requesting a trade, he always worked hard, and his English significantly improved over his time here. Yak might not have panned out, but the guy was a professional. I’d still welcome him back actually with how our team transitioned, and started lacking skill. The more Jesse talks, the more I want him to be stuck in Finland for the next 6 years.

Reactions: frag2 and Aerrol

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
You mean that I didn’t grab my pitch fork and join the mob?
No. That you're blindly defending him at all costs while everyone else has seen the light. You can keep harping on that Jesse needs to fire his agent, that he needs to grow up etc, but it seems whenever people talk bad about him(deservedly so) you are always here defending him. It's really strange.

We all wanted him to succeed. Hell, if he wasn't such a garbage NHL player the Oilers wouldn't be in the position they are now. He was supposed to be a star at this point. Maybe Chia would still be our GM....I guess that is one positive to look at lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: frag2

Kaptah

Jul 15, 2007
Jesse had a three year contract. He fulfilled it. Now he can choose where he wants to play. I respect him betting on himself becoming a top 6 NHL player, even if this route means less money short term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad