Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi '18-19 Season Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Congrats on trying to make this personal simply because you can’t handle being called out for your BS like an adult. No need for temper tantrums.

Defending myself against someone who calls me bias and pathetic is making it personal? You're the one who made it personal with unwarranted accusations. No temper tantrum here, but no problems calling out someone who's posts show immaturity. You're the one who can't accept that people see flaws in Jesse's game. Simple as that. Yes, Nabob everyone who doesn't like Jesse is biased against him, the coaches, the media, the majority of fans, and it's ONLY you that has the correct assessment of his game with no bias. Laughable that you think this.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Is what's lacking in Jesse's game fundamental though? I get that practice is a massive part of developing young players, but the things I'm seeing from him this year, a lot of his struggles are coming from his execution. He's making poor decisions, he's taking bad penalties and most importantly, that tenacious puck pursuit that makes him an effective forward, has been ridiculously inconsistent.

If I'm a young NHLer and I see my team start winning after they put me up in the press-box, that's one hell of an eye-opener for me.

Does having him go down there and tee off on some lesser players necessarily benefit his game up here?
The guy doesn't really know what to do away from the puck. Where to be, what to do along the boards. There is just so many little things he can be learning.

He's been useless without the puck. Either he has to start making plays with the puck or he has to be looking good when he doesn't.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
Agree or disagree on whether it should be NHL or AHL, but Jesse needs to play games. Same with Bouchard! This is ridiculous

Reactions: Duke74

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
The guy doesn't really know what to do away from the puck. Where to be, what to do along the boards. There is just so many little things he can be learning.

He's been useless without the puck. Either he has to start making plays with the puck or he has to be looking good when he doesn't.

Yup it's the little things... a lot of little things can add up and give people the impression of a lack of IQ or experience. My HOPE is that a little bit of coaching can right the ship in regards to these little things. But now that I think about it, I feel like the coaches might have already spent the time on these issues and the reason he's scratched is his inability to pick up and ingrain those lessons.

space321

May 11, 2011
Yup it's the little things... a lot of little things can add up and give people the impression of a lack of IQ or experience. My HOPE is that a little bit of coaching can right the ship in regards to these little things. But now that I think about it, I feel like the coaches might have already spent the time on these issues and the reason he's scratched is his inability to pick up and ingrain those lessons.

You are so biased it's not even funny anymore

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
It depends on the player whether learning in the AHL or NHL is best for them. Calls like this are made with every team in the League. Its obvious that Oiler FANS wanted badly for him to be up here when he was down there. Now that it hasn't worked up here either, we all want to act like geniuses like we knew he should have been down there the whole time? Again, I don't know what's best for Pulju. I'd say those that are closest to him and have been closest to him will make the best possible call. Those people are the coaching staff. So let's see what they do, and how Pulju responds.

Oh yeah these guys have absolutely earned the benefit of the doubt. Yeesh.

Probably. Kid isn't an NHL player yet but they probably rather him practice here than practice there if they aren't playing

They play 5 games in the next two weeks. If they were going to send him down, the day to do it was yesterday.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Oh yeah these guys have absolutely earned the benefit of the doubt. Yeesh.

They play 5 games in the next two weeks. If they were going to send him down, the day to do it was yesterday.

We got 3 new coaches. And like I said it's a tough call on the send down or keep up argument. It's a coin toss. In those situations, I see no problems in just trusting the coaches and seeing how it all plays out. At the end of the day that's all you can do anyways.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Defending myself against someone who calls me bias and pathetic is making it personal? You're the one who made it personal with unwarranted accusations. No temper tantrum here, but no problems calling out someone who's posts show immaturity. You're the one who can't accept that people see flaws in Jesse's game. Simple as that. Yes, Nabob everyone who doesn't like Jesse is biased against him, the coaches, the media, the majority of fans, and it's ONLY you that has the correct assessment of his game with no bias. Laughable that you think this.

I have been willing to point out his flaws. I’m also willing to call out an obvious bias like yours. Which you exposed by trying to take a great shift he had and make it into a negative. Anyways I’m done with you and your inability to have a conversation like an adult.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I have been willing to point out his flaws. I’m also willing to call out an obvious bias like yours. Which you exposed by trying to take a great shift he had and make it into a negative. Anyways I’m done with you and your inability to have a conversation like an adult.

Funny how you don't acknowledge my point about praising Jesse for his preseason game and saying he'll break out huge this year. Does that sound like someone who's biased against a player would say? It's obvious that you have a narrative that someone who criticizes Jesse is "biased" and you ignore all evidence to the contrary. The day Pulju comes in and plays a dominant game I'll be happily giving him props for it. And what will you say then? My bias has now magically disappeared? The only person who's being immature is the one who throws out false accusations about others because of hurt feelings because they don't like his favorite player. Simple as that.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Nope. Player plays bad. I call it like I see it. Player plays good. I call it like I see it. If Pulju had a good game, I'd have no problems commending him for it and I'd probably be excited for his future. Hope it happens for him, but far too often he does nothing.

With all respect I was surprised by your comment about Pulju showing off for only one preseason game, which is very different from the way even his hardest crticis thought. If that's the case I'm not sure Pulju will be able to play above the bar you've set for him.

Anyway, as it's impossible to compare players or performances almost the only tool is the Edmonton Journal's player grades, even if they're written by just one (or two) writers. While I definitely hoped for a stronger start, in none of the games has Puljujarvi got the lowest grade of the forwards. The game against the Bruins was the only exception and even then Khaira, Strome, Lucic, Yamamoto and Pulju shared the same grade. Like I said his corsis are still among the best forwards of the team.

The problem seems to be some of his qualities start to look worse at more difficult times and when the usage by the coach has maybe been questionable. Then people who like to bash him whenever possible (not directed at you) naturally use their chance, and people like me tend to emphasize the other side maybe too much.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Funny how you don't acknowledge my point about praising Jesse for his preseason game and saying he'll break out huge this year. Does that sound like someone who's biased against a player would say?

As I wrote in my other msg I though you wrote Puljujarvi showed up in just one preseason game, but if I got that wrong I apologize for my words and the misunderstanding. Also please remember whatever words I chose I do it with respect, even if I don't always manage to show it.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
With all respect I was surprised by your comment about Pulju showing off for only one preseason game, which is very different from the way even his hardest crticis thought. If that's the case I'm not sure Pulju will be able to play above the bar you've set for him.

Anyway, as it's impossible to compare players or performances almost the only tool is the Edmonton Journal's player grades, even if they're written by just one (or two) writers. While I definitely hoped for a stronger start, in none of the games has Puljujarvi got the lowest grade of the forwards. The game against the Bruins was the only exception and even then Khaira, Strome, Lucic, Yamamoto and Pulju shared the same grade. Like I said his corsis are still among the best forwards of the team.

The problem seems to be some of his qualities start to look worse at more difficult times and when the usage by the coach has maybe been questionable. Then people who like to bash him whenever possible (not directed at you) naturally use their chance, and people like me tend to emphasize the other side maybe too much.

My bar for him is simple. Create chances, be hard on the forecheck, have an impact on the game in SOME way. He doesn't need to score even, and I'd be delighted to see just the little things go right for him. It's not THAT high. On the flip side, by saying he wasn't even the worst forward on ice, is quite the LOW bar that you've set.

No one likes to "bash" Pulju. People are way way way too defensive of this young prospect. People should be allowed to watch the game then state their opinions about said game without being accused of bashing anyone. It's very simple with me, I see things I like i'll state them, I see things that worry me I'll state those.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Im sure if he was part of an organization like Nashville, Tampa or Washington his development would have gone properly.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
My bar for him is simple. Create chances, be hard on the forecheck, have an impact on the game in SOME way. He doesn't need to score even, and I'd be delighted to see just the little things go right for him. It's not THAT high. On the flip side, by saying he wasn't even the worst forward on ice, is quite the LOW bar that you've set.

No one likes to "bash" Pulju. People are way way way too defensive of this young prospect. People should be allowed to watch the game then state their opinions about said game without being accused of bashing anyone. It's very simple with me, I see things I like i'll state them, I see things that worry me I'll state those.

Yeah, and you're right, people should definitely be allowed to give critique when they feel like it. I feel like I've failed if my posts give another kind of a picture.

But after basically everybody saying and thinking Pulju had a strong preseason, and him scoring almost a goal per a game I think it's quite a statement to say he only showed up for one game. The reason I brought up the numbers is that some forwards actually had lower grades, but again it was Pulju who was benched. At the start of the last season his grades were the best of the team and guess who was demoted from the top6?

I'm not saying any benching is bad or unjustified, just a bit tired it seems that whenever there's a reason or sometimes without one Pulju is the one with the shortest leash. That isn't saying he's doing everything perfectly or even close as some seem to think I do. You're allowed to say your opinions and I must be allowed for mine, too.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Hello all, Rangers fan coming in peace.

I’ve always loved Puljujarvi as a prospect, but what happened? Is he as bad as the stats show? Is it the coach? Is it a slump? A combination of those factors? I want to see him succeed, but I’m starting to wonder. He can’t seem to gain any traction. I’ve seen people saying he’s been playing well, so why would McLellan scratch him? Am I missing something? Maybe it’s the hockey sense. He’s always had the tools, but not the best hockey IQ in the world.

Trust me, I know the frustrating feeling when a coach seemingly has a bone to pick with a very talented player. With the Rangers, it has been DeAngelo and Buchnevich.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Funny how you don't acknowledge my point about praising Jesse for his preseason game and saying he'll break out huge this year. Does that sound like someone who's biased against a player would say? It's obvious that you have a narrative that someone who criticizes Jesse is "biased" and you ignore all evidence to the contrary. The day Pulju comes in and plays a dominant game I'll be happily giving him props for it. And what will you say then? My bias has now magically disappeared? The only person who's being immature is the one who throws out false accusations about others because of hurt feelings because they don't like his favorite player. Simple as that.

He had many very good preseason games, you said he had one single good preseason game. More proof that your bias doesn’t allow you to see obvious things clearly.

Like other posters have said, everyone has a certain amount of bias. Those like yourself claiming to be holier than thou are easily dismissed and not worth the time of day.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

I’ve always loved Puljujarvi as a prospect, but what happened? Is he as bad as the stats show? Is it the coach? Is it a slump? A combination of those factors? I want to see him succeed, but I’m starting to wonder. He can’t seem to gain any traction. I’ve seen people saying he’s been playing well, so why would McLellan scratch him? Am I missing something? Maybe it’s the hockey sense. He’s always had the tools, but not the best hockey IQ in the world.

Trust me, I know the frustrating feeling when a coach seemingly has a bone to pick with a very talented player. With the Rangers, it has been DeAngelo and Buchnevich.

The stats show that he has been winning the puck possession battles and creating more chances than he’s been giving up. Hasn’t been cashing in and had a few bad turnovers in his last couple of games which put him in the dog house.

Reactions: Buchnevich89

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
As I wrote in my other msg I though you wrote Puljujarvi showed up in just one preseason game, but if I got that wrong I apologize for my words and the misunderstanding. Also please remember whatever words I chose I do it with respect, even if I don't always manage to show it.

He did clearly claim that Jesse only had one good preseason game.

Reactions: GameChanger

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
Köln, Helsinki, Lappeenranta

All those factors.

Saddly Jesse cant figure it out.
He positions really baddly. Is late from boardplays, does not use his strenght in them. It is more like he acts boardplay.

Loses puck control easily.

He needs personal training, like really personal. Then he might get it.

Really hope he gets it. Dont see it.

Reactions: Buchnevich89

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
When has JP been the best player on his line for a given night? It just isn't happening. I don't know why people call it biased.

Kid needs to work on his game

Reactions: TheNumber4

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
It worked for Leon. Just send the kid down. Get his confidence up and his motor skills up out there. His hands and legs do not match what he's processing upstairs.

He should get better Bring him up when he looks like he is battling consistently and skating better.

talitintti

Oct 13, 2018
He should start doing that PEP training that McDavid does. Pulju has so awkward puckhandling that it's tough to mentally imagine him doing those courses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad