Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi '18-19 Season Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Pulju will be right back in the lineup the moment a RW has a bad game and/or we lose. Simple as that. Don't know why were overreacting with imminent trade incoming type statements. He'll get another look, this time with a message being firmly sent, then let's see how he responds.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
The pick wasn't bad, it's the failure of them not being able to develop raw talent. With that said, stick him in the AHL for an extended period getting top minutes. Still early.
Exactly how I see it. If the Oilers had a clue about developing players. Hall, Ebele and Schultz would not be traded. Yak and MPS would not be busts. Drai was looking like a bust himself until he started playing with Hall and later with McDavid. RNH didn't regain form until playing with McDavid

Reactions: GameChanger

Shathar

Jul 23, 2009
Moncton, New Brunswi
Exactly how I see it. If the Oilers had a clue about developing players. Hall, Ebele and Schultz would not be traded. Yak and MPS would not be busts. Drai was looking like a bust himself until he started playing with Hall and later with McDavid. RNH didn't regain form until playing with McDavid
I’m not sure that the ‘pure’ rebuild works. Like, who are supposed to mentor the kids? Our heroes from the 80’s, who played in the age of pylons? I feel that A LOT of our failures over the last decade stem from that.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I wouldn`t be too discouraged.

No matter what, there are always going to be some people that have ideas about players that won`t fit with the general narratives.

That is an inherent bias in most that you can`t change and it won`t matter one iota what others say and do. They`ll find reasons, excuses, small samples to taint whatever information you come up with.

That`s why I rarely argue with people when it comes to opinions of game play. State your opinions, or facts if you have them, and walk away.

Slow clap. Words to live by. I manage to do this in life, but online the passion of specific discussion of topics tends to draw me in.

The only thing I will add is we all have these narratives and biases. Part of the human perceptual condition.
But I like the wisdom in your post. Your assertion would save me a lot of time but then I'd just be doing more chores...;)

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Pulju will be right back in the lineup the moment a RW has a bad game and/or we lose. Simple as that. Don't know why were overreacting with imminent trade incoming type statements. He'll get another look, this time with a message being firmly sent, then let's see how he responds.

Why don't they just send him down to Bako?

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
But this isn`t some middle level player that needs a wake-up call.

It`s a young kid trying to find his way in a new world and with confidence issues to boot.

I don`t think that leaving him 'on the shelf' for an extended time period will have the effect it would on a Caggs or Kassian, etc.

I don't think he needs motivation. He needs coaching, confidence building, etc.

Too long out of the game can't be good for a young kid like that. Better to send him down and allow him to get some games in with less competition if you're not going to play him.

It may work out Tmac's way. I hope so but I worry about our highly rated 4th overall.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

Hall, Ebs, and Schultz developed alright. They were traded for various reasons, bad asset and talent recognition you can call it rather than a development problem. Although Schultz was given far too much too soon, but that's an issue with our lack of being able to build a team and defence to support him.

Yak and MPS have been with multitude of different coaches and different systems and no one could "develop" them right. So can't put that on the Oilers.

Drai has been fine.

RNH had some growing pains combined with shit coaches in general, but overall he turned out fine. He didn't "only regain form" when with McDavid. He was already having a good year last year before being put on McDavid's line.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

It's a possibility. But maybe the plan is to give him another shot at the bigs while he's up here. I firmly believe he'll be back in the lineup. Besides, we've already went the AHL route with Pulju.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Woodcroft talked about how he is dealing with Benson right now in the AHL. Really think that is the same they should be doing with JP.

Focusing on the little things that don't necessarily show results immediately, but if you consistently do them your team has a better chance to win. That and allowing him to make mistakes, so that they can provide the player with better tools to avoid mistakes.

Woodcroft also mentioned a couple times about NHL work habits.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
It's a possibility. But maybe the plan is to give him another shot at the bigs while he's up here. I firmly believe he'll be back in the lineup. Besides, we've already went the AHL route with Pulju.

He barely played 50 games total in the A over two seasons. if they want him to learn the fundamentals, that's as good a place as any, probably better than in the PB. Send him down and leave him down.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I suspect they will keep him out until they lose a game and then give him one last kick at the can.

This better not be last kick at the can. I say that due to the age, and the player resolutely showing the team that he came into camp with different focus, play, and doing that throughout the preseason. But he was summarily planted in bottomsix anyway, then got 2-3 games with Drai, and now 4 and counting scratched games.

This is unchartered territory btw. The only other wingers that have been scratched longer on team McLellan are Slepychev and Pakarinen. Even guys like Walker and Jokinen were dealt with quicker. Even Aberg didn't experience this length of being out of the lineup. Not even Kassian.

In McLellan world most forward healthy scratches are 1,2 games in duration.

This is even more startling as its all happening within the Rattie injury time frame when we are a one-two short of filling out topsix. (With Chiasson and Yama occupying positions)

So this is special dog house at this point.

Reactions: GameChanger

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
But this isn`t some middle level player that needs a wake-up call.

It`s a young kid trying to find his way in a new world and with confidence issues to boot.

I don`t think that leaving him 'on the shelf' for an extended time period will have the effect it would on a Caggs or Kassian, etc.

I don't think he needs motivation. He needs coaching, confidence building, etc.

Too long out of the game can't be good for a young kid like that. Better to send him down and allow him to get some games in with less competition if you're not going to play him.

It may work out Tmac's way. I hope so but I worry about our highly rated 4th overall.

Valid points. Maybe it would be best to send him down, or maybe the coaches got a feel for what him being sent down to the AHL does for his confidence the last time and would rather just let him work out his issues in the Bigs. None of us know exactly what would be best for him, neither do the coaches, but at the end of the day a choice needs to be made. It's not like 1 choice is a clear cut winner over the other. Whether they send him down or try to reinsert him in the lineup after watching the game from above and watching videos with the coaching staff for a week I really don't know what would be best for Pulju. There's a possibility he gets sent down and is mediocre in the AHL again too! Maybe they want to avoid that to retain whatever value is left with him.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I'd have to think because they wan't him to feel like he's still part of this team. Jesse's character just screams the type of player you need to use kid gloves to handle. The Condors play on Wednesday, so sending him down would've been preferable, but maybe that'd just be too much of an adjustment for him in a short period.

I think he's still on this roster when all's said and done. But considering they're on a winning streak, I can see why he's yet to draw in.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I'd have to think because they wan't him to feel like he's still part of this team. Jesse's character just screams the type of player you need to use kid gloves to handle.

Then why are they using a whip?

The Condors play on Wednesday, so sending him down would've been preferable, but maybe that'd just be too much of an adjustment for him in a short period.

They could have sent him down after Sunday's game or yesterday.

I think he's still on this roster when all's said and done. But considering they're on a winning streak, I can see why he's yet to draw in.

I don't think bouncing him in and out of the lineup on the basis of the fortunes of the team as a whole is going to help his development.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
He barely played 50 games total in the A over two seasons. if they want him to learn the fundamentals, that's as good a place as any, probably better than in the PB. Send him down and leave him down.

Yeh maybe. Or maybe he's being coached up hard while up here watching games. Maybe Gulatzan's been assigned to sit with him for hours and watch video. We don't know. All I know is my preference would be to see him get reinserted in the line up. He definitely doesn't need a stint in the AHL for any conditioning or physical reasons. His body is ready, the question is how much can he learn.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Yeh maybe. Or maybe he's being coached up hard while up here watching games. Maybe Gulatzan's been assigned to sit with him for hours and watch video. We don't know. All I know is my preference would be to see him get reinserted in the line up. He definitely doesn't need a stint in the AHL for any conditioning or physical reasons. His body is ready, the question is how much can he learn.

That's literally what the AHL is for.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I'd have to think because they wan't him to feel like he's still part of this team. Jesse's character just screams the type of player you need to use kid gloves to handle. The Condors play on Wednesday, so sending him down would've been preferable, but maybe that'd just be too much of an adjustment for him in a short period.

The one thing that he would've benefited from is all the practice time Bakersfield is having right now.

4 games in 3 weeks is giving the team a lot of time to really working on many things. He'd probably have a chance to get a lot of time doing one on one training.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
That's literally what the AHL is for.

It depends on the player whether learning in the AHL or NHL is best for them. Calls like this are made with every team in the League. Its obvious that Oiler FANS wanted badly for him to be up here when he was down there. Now that it hasn't worked up here either, we all want to act like geniuses like we knew he should have been down there the whole time? Again, I don't know what's best for Pulju. I'd say those that are closest to him and have been closest to him will make the best possible call. Those people are the coaching staff. So let's see what they do, and how Pulju responds.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Does the Condors schedule pick up to something a little more reasonable at any point?

I wonder if they're just waiting for that team to start playing some more games before they send him down.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
The one thing that he would've benefited from is all the practice time Bakersfield is having right now.

4 games in 3 weeks is giving the team a lot of time to really working on many things. He'd probably have a chance to get a lot of time doing one on one training.
Yeah, that certainly would have been a good opportunity.

I really hope the coaching staff know what they're doing with this kid...

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Pulju could have been right behind Drai waiting for any rebounds or loose pucks like he's sposed to be. Drai also being there doesn't force Pulju to NOT stop and skate directly away from the play. How is this not obvious to you. In any case, your blind defense of this player and calling any valid criticisms of this player as "biased" and "pathetic" is really getting annoying. Its obvious you have a hard on for the player and will defend him no matter what. More reasonable posters can see a good game from him and be excited for it, like I was with his preseason game AND his Jets game which he was overall good in, then they can also see games where he straight up does nothing and disappears. A reasonable poster sees both and acknowledges both. You don't think he has bad games like the media does, like most fans do, like the coaches do. And the fact that you've resorted to name calling in your defense of this player says a lot about your personality. Grow the F up.

Congrats on trying to make this personal simply because you can’t handle being called out for your BS like an adult. No need for temper tantrums.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Does the Condors schedule pick up to something a little more reasonable at any point?

I wonder if they're just waiting for that team to start playing some more games before they send him down.
Probably. Kid isn't an NHL player yet but they probably rather him practice here than practice there if they aren't playing

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Agree with some of this and I similarly think it would be harmful to Jesse to send him down. But as I mentioned a 4 game scratch is not kid gloves, its getting the big whip out and giving lashes.

Puljujarvi would be stewing in juices at this point.

Am I the only one that thinks its particularly odd that the team is putting Chiasson on an extended look at 2nd line while Puljuarvi is watching? I say this becaue of Mclellan's established preference re; playing vets over young talent. I think all that Pulju learns is "theres no place for me here with this coach"

I would frankly be astounded if concerns had not been expressed yet between player and agent regarding this situation. This is not creating any kind of good relations with the player. As I stated earlier I doubt the team has even adequately expressed why Pulju is sitting this whole duration.

Petr Klima would state that he would need a pretty long stick to score from the pressbox..

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

Is what's lacking in Jesse's game fundamental though? I get that practice is a massive part of developing young players, but the things I'm seeing from him this year, a lot of his struggles are coming from his execution. He's making poor decisions, he's taking bad penalties and most importantly, that tenacious puck pursuit that makes him an effective forward, has been ridiculously inconsistent.

If I'm a young NHLer and I see my team start winning after they put me up in the press-box, that's one hell of an eye-opener for me.

Does having him go down there and tee off on some lesser players necessarily benefit his game up here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad