Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi '18-19 Season Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Okay, soon I finally do step out, sorry it took a few messages. But hey, I just watched the highlights and it's honestly hard to blame Pulju for the goals against. I almost wished that's not the case so I could understand the extent of the negativity better. On the first one I didn't see where the situation started (in the neutral zone) so can't comment on that, but other than that I am sorry to say but I didn't see he had much or anything to do with it.

I also thought he'd deserved an assist to the first goal. Did anyone else notice this? It seems like he actually touched the puck, but in any case had a role in that. He also had a pretty good chance at the beginning of the 2nd period. Anyway, you guys have a great day, I'll start to enjoy the dark Finnish autumn night here :)

I'm not in position of blaming Jesse for GA or anything. IMO he just needs to be better and more committed to winning battles out there.

I thought so too but IIRC they gave the 2nd assist to Russell which means that he likely didn't touch it..

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I'm just going to give it more time. Pulju is still struggling, and unfortunately not looking as good as he did in preseason but he's showing more gumption than most of last season.

My worry though, and this is fair, is Pulju starts well so far in his NHl career and does not end well. We need perseverance and more determination. That said I want to see more of Drai passing to spots with Pulju and Jesse bulling his way. This is occurring, and a valid way to play it, because Jesse is still struggling at getting into the right spots but is often willing to battle to retrieve a puck. The combination of Rieder on the line also contributes to the 3 creating offensive zone chaos battle. Just doing enough to contest the puck and often winning it with weight and leaning on opponents. Its a nice mix. As mentioned it plays to some of Drais strengths. it will look less pretty but will have results in chances, production, and in Offensive zone pressure.

I want these 3 together at least for the remainder of the month. But would OK with a much longer apprenticeship. There is promise with the triad.

My question is how long does Todd stick with Chiasson in that spot now?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
It's what I've been saying since his rookie year. TMac aint perfect, far from it. But JP needs to take responsibility and prove he belongs consistently. I think him not lighting up the AHL was and is still a concern. It's strange because he seemingly feasted during the preseason and none of that seemingly carried over.

I think the AHL is exactly where Jesse should be but I question if Jesse is mentally tough enough to handle a demotion to the AHL.

space321

May 11, 2011
Strome has been just fine this season. Not sure why you would think otherwise.

He gets 2 extra minutes TOI than Jesse per game, also gets PP time, and has produced nil. Yet Jesse's a lost cause and Strome is "fine". Are our standards that low?

Reactions: Duke74

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
He gets 2 extra minutes TOI than Jesse per game, also gets PP time, and has produced nil. Yet Jesse's a lost cause and Strome is "fine". Are our standards that low?

Huh?
Strome has nothing to do with Jesse...his place in the lineup has no bearing on Jesse what so ever.

Also...Strome has been very good without the puck so far. He is not even close to being on the list of players dragging the team down. I have no idea what you are on about here.

space321

May 11, 2011
Huh?
Strome has nothing to do with Jesse...his place in the lineup has no bearing on Jesse what so ever.

Also...Strome has been very good without the puck so far. He is not even close to being on the list of players dragging the team down. I have no idea what you are on about here.

I'm just pointing out the what I see as a double standard. Strome is the player I identify as being rewarded for mediocre play.

Also he looked so good when he got danced by Crosby last night.

Reactions: Duke74

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland

NoDust33

Apr 11, 2016
There are a couple factors at play with Jesse going on this season.

Obviously, Todd is desperate to keep his job, and it is crucial to get off to a good start with this tough schedule, for both Todd and the team. While I can understand Todd's perspective, this has put Jesse's development on the back burner. I just can't see how anyone looks at his completely uneven and inconsistent development path and comes to any other conclusion that Jesse is being severely hurt by the desperation of the coaching staff.

Ya Jesse has been underwhelming. So what? This is a 20 year old former 4th overall pick, and there needs to be some sort of a commitment that makes him feel like he has the support of the team. The oilers don't have the benefit of being able to do what the Lightning did with Drouin. They absolutely need a guy like Jesse to pan out. At best, the oilers this year are fighting for a playoff spot. So why are they completely throwing Jesse's development under the bus? It makes 0 sense unless you consider that they are knowingly doing it in order to get off to a good start to avoid the pitfalls of last year. The argument that JP has to earn it is non-sense. The oilers need him. We should be providing him every opportunity to do it. Hall, Nuge, and Eberle had plenty of rope to develop their games, the only issue is they were given control over the team as young players. That issue doesn't exist here. Commit to him and allow him to work through it.

The commitment to ensuring he becomes an impactful player has been really disappointing. In my opinion, the kid needs structure. Fluctuating anywhere from 9 to 11 to 13-16 minutes in a span of 3 or 4 games is just not what he needs. For those arguing about sending him to the AHL, the Oilers made the decision to demote him twice in the past two years. Having a player spend 3 years as a bubble NHL player is detrimental. Theres no way around it. The Oilers chose this path 3 years ago keeping him on the team, and unless they want another high pick thats a bust, they need to commit to providing a consistent development path for Jesse, letting him learn from his mistakes, and attempt to build some sort of momentum in his game.

Nevertheless, after the preds game on Saturday im sure things will even out and we will see Jp get a better, more consistent opportunity. If not, the oilers have not learned anything about player development. You don't give up on 20 year old 4th overall picks with Jesse's skill set. You insulate it, support it, nourish it.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Strome has been just fine this season. Not sure why you would think otherwise.

I was not a Strome fan but he is growing on me. He plays in all situations and the points will come. The 3rd line is looking fine. People need to realize that this time last year, we were pretty much eliminated . Much better this year

Reactions: McDNicks17

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I'm just pointing out the what I see as a double standard. Strome is the player I identify as being rewarded for mediocre play.

Also he looked so good when he got danced by Crosby last night.

Strome is a center on the 3rd line, a hole desperately that needed filling. He also pk's and is looked for to be responsible

Jesse is a winger who is expected to generate offense

No clue why you are comparing the 2. You might as well complain about Nurse and Talbot getting more time than JP

Reactions: North and frag2

space321

May 11, 2011
Strome is a center on the 3rd line, a hole desperately that needed filling. He also pk's and is looked for to be responsible

Jesse is a winger who is expected to generate offense

No clue why you are comparing the 2. You might as well complain about Nurse and Talbot getting more time than JP

How was the 3C role desparately need filling? We have 97 93 and 29 to play C....

Again I said I brought up Strome because I feel he's being rewarded for mediocre play, while Jesse gets demoted TOI after scoring a game tying goal.

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
How was the 3C role desparately need filling? We have 97 93 and 29 to play C....

Again I said I brought up Strome because I feel he's being rewarded for mediocre play, while Jesse gets demoted TOI after scoring a game tying goal.
They needed a legitimate 3C because RNH's offence was being stifled in that position and the Oilers need all the offence that they can get; some might say that they still need a 4C.

Reactions: ottawa

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
They needed a legitimate 3C because RNH's offence was being stifled in that position and the Oilers need all the offence that they can get; some might say that they still need a 4C.

Brodziak was a good idea. He hasn't been very good so far, but he has a solid track record. I'm willing to wait a bit before passing judgement.

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
Brodziak was a good idea. He hasn't been very good so far, but he has a solid track record. I'm willing to wait a bit before passing judgement.
Yeah, he's been a great player for his entire career. I wonder how his season starts were for the Blues in years past.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

Do you watch the games or only look at stat lines?

JP was rewarded after that goal. He was promoted to the 2nd line for 1 and a half games. He played himself off that line with what looked to be like a guy who has never played hockey before

Reider is a prime example of someone who played his way up the line-up, and deserves to stay there so far. How come the masses aren't ripping TM right now for him not being on the top pp?

Oh wait, it must be bc Todd has a personal vendetta against JP

Last edited:
Reactions: McRpro and guymez

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I was not a Strome fan but he is growing on me. He plays in all situations and the points will come. The 3rd line is looking fine. People need to realize that this time last year, we were pretty much eliminated . Much better this year

I dont think they were pretty much eliminated after 7 games last year but I know what you mean and I agree.
The team does look much better this season

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I dont think they were pretty much eliminated after 7 games last year but I know what you mean and I agree.
The team does look much better this season
It was pretty depressing. We started out with a 3-0 win and went all to crap pretty quick. I’m happy with the team play so far. The Pacific is open to anyone .
I have been to the last 3 games and they were in every game. To me, Nashville is the Cup favourite . I do think Kassian and Brodziak need to take a seat

Reactions: guymez

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Are you sure it's all about McLellan why Pulju is busting right at the moment.
I see that like this.

50% Pulju himself ( hasn't progressed at all, looks next Yakupov, only 29 points in 100 NHL games )
30% McLellan ( no clue how to coach Puljujarvi)
20% Oilers management ( no clear development plan for Pulju, brought him too early to NHL)
Puljujarvi looks nothing like Yakupov. Yak couldn’t carry the puck any distance with enough speed to back off defenders. Jesse is quite adept with the puck and is a legit threat to blow by or through you. Jesse can bull to the net which Yak seldom could. The goal he scored two games ago off a pass from Nuge had him right in the slot, stick planted at an angle, amd a defender sliding off his back. The first Draisaitl goal last night was a direct result of Jesse bulling forward to the crease, taking a defender with him, creating just enough space for Drai to shoot. Jesse is also diligent on the backcheck and packs a 6’4” frame. The comparison is apples to angry bees.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
just watched the game again. Jesse had issues in this game for sure but he did have a very strong shift at the 15:00 mark of the 2nd period.
Then he just disappeared.

space321

May 11, 2011
just watched the game again. Jesse had issues in this game for sure but he did have a very strong shift at the 15:00 mark of the 2nd period.
Then he just disappeared.

He disappeared because he got benched for not scoring.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Puljujarvi is a massive, massive, bust. The sooner you come to this conclusion yourself, the better you will be. You won't be wondering "why aren't they playing him more?", because you will already have your answer.

If we had a competent GM, he would have realized this fact this past off-season, and found a GM willing to give Pulj another go. We likely could have traded Pulj + 2nd rounder for an average 2nd pairing dman, or something like that. There are always sucker GMs that see past draft positions, and are willing to give the player a chance. Sadly we DON'T have a competent GM, and thus we are left hoping against hope that Pulj can at least become a reliable 3rd line winger eventually.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
He disappeared because he got benched for not scoring.

LOL. No, he got benched b/c he went into corners reaching in on the forecheck instead of putting his body behind it

He got benched cuz he does some unorthodox and nonsensical stuff

He got benched cuz he was in the corner on a cycle, and after he gave it to Drai, he full on skated away from the play, turned his back on the play and the puck, facing his own net with zero awareness of the play, and skated to the top of the slot....again, and this can't be stressed enough...he was skating in the other direction with his back turned

His hockey IQ on positioning and supporting the play/puck has been on display for sometime now

His coach in Bakerfield commented on it. TM treats him like it, and furthermore, fans and media are now realizing it

"That is such crock that Jesse doesn't fit coach. If Puljujarvi was doing what third-year player should do and that's produce a little something no matter where he's playing, he'd get more love from McLellan. Jesse is his own worst enemy. Doesn't use his size."

Reactions: guymez
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad