Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi '18-19 Season Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
Maybe sending him down wouldn't be a bad idea. Literally make him earn the recall after gaining confidence and putting up numbers. Maybe Woodcroft would be better for him than Todd as well. This shouldn't even be a conversation, the fact that he might have just lost his job to a NHL journeyman speaks volumes to how he needs to be better.
Yeah, I tend to agree.

Earlier I was thinking he, perhaps, just needs some time with more skilled players for a proper evaluation but he's definitely struggling.

This might be a good time to do it and let him work his way back with confidence.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
That doesn't seem possible with this coach. Honestly he needs a benching or a demotion to Bako to get going.

Thats basically how I see it. JP obviously isn't good enough, both in TMac's eyes and countless others around here, for the bigs at the current stage. He's better suited to play, hopefully, bigger more meaningful minutes in the A.

If JP still can't figure out the A, then he's really heading into bust category when you factor in his draft position.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I liked his overall game last night but v Nashville he was hopeless. It's not a question of him playing with skill or not, he makes poor decisions with both his positioning, his reads, and with the puck on his stick. Playing in the AHL on a top line and figuring the game out in a non pressure environment would be the best for him. But he certainly is trending towards bust in my eyes.

Reactions: frag2

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I think hes been disappointing considering how he looked in the preseason.

Its hard to really figure out the player, for me personally. Is his problem communication or confidence or hockey iq? I've generally thought his problem was more communication/confidence rather than hockey iq, but the more time that goes on, I dont really know anymore.

He definitely has some great tools, and you can see some great vision on some plays. He just seems so soft on the puck, his balance/strength when competing or protecting pucks is very poor for a player who has tremendous athletic attributes. Its almost mind boggling how easy he gets knocked off of pucks. The guy looks like a tank but for whatever reason he isnt.

The coach definitely doesnt trust him. Whether he likes him, I dont know. I question how much he fits in with his teammates as well. I dont think TM has put him in a position to succeed but at the same time, its hard to question his place in the lineup when you see some of the plays (and lack of plays) he makes.

You can see the glimpses of elite level talent/athleticism in his game. If it was me, I would personally give him another coach before you give up on him (because I dont think he has a ton of trade value currently anyway). But at the same time, if they arent willing to change the coach, you just hope the player gets another chance somewhere else (for JP's sake) because as time goes on, it looks like JP and TM/oilers cant coexist. But thats the way this organization works, players leave and generally exceed somewhere else.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I liked his overall game last night but v Nashville he was hopeless. It's not a question of him playing with skill or not, he makes poor decisions with both his positioning, his reads, and with the puck on his stick. Playing in the AHL on a top line and figuring the game out in a non pressure environment would be the best for him. But he certainly is trending towards bust in my eyes.

If only he was like Laine where he was extremely good at one facet like shooting. Then we can use him as a triggerman but unfortunately, while he has a strong shot, it ain't very accurate.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Okay, soon I finally do step out, sorry it took a few messages. But hey, I just watched the highlights and it's honestly hard to blame Pulju for the goals against. I almost wished that's not the case so I could understand the extent of the negativity better. On the first one I didn't see where the situation started (in the neutral zone) so can't comment on that, but other than that I am sorry to say but I didn't see he had much or anything to do with it.

I also thought he'd deserved an assist to the first goal. Did anyone else notice this? It seems like he actually touched the puck, but in any case had a role in that. He also had a pretty good chance at the beginning of the 2nd period. Anyway, you guys have a great day, I'll start to enjoy the dark Finnish autumn night here :)

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
I think hes been disappointing considering how he looked in the preseason.

Its hard to really figure out the player, for me personally. Is his problem communication or confidence or hockey iq? I've generally thought his problem was more communication/confidence rather than hockey iq, but the more time that goes on, I dont really know anymore.

He definitely has some great tools, and you can see some great vision on some plays. He just seems so soft on the puck, his balance/strength when competing or protecting pucks is very poor for a player who has tremendous athletic attributes. Its almost mind boggling how easy he gets knocked off of pucks. The guy looks like a tank but for whatever reason he isnt.

The coach definitely doesnt trust him. Whether he likes him, I dont know. I question how much he fits in with his teammates as well. I dont think TM has put him in a position to succeed but at the same time, its hard to question his place in the lineup when you see some of the plays (and lack of plays) he makes.

You can see the glimpses of elite level talent/athleticism in his game. If it was me, I would personally give him another coach before you give up on him (because I dont think he has a ton of trade value currently anyway). But at the same time, if they arent willing to change the coach, you just hope the player gets another chance somewhere else (for JP's sake) because as time goes on, it looks like JP and TM/oilers cant coexist. But thats the way this organization works, players leave and generally exceed somewhere else.

Still wanted to say I feel you've always been great with your comments, looking from different angles. When Pulju has deserved it you've given credit and you don't just come here to bash him when he struggles or is just quiet, so I put a lot of weight to what you write.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Okay, soon I finally do step out, sorry it took a few messages. But hey, I just watched the highlights and it's honestly hard to blame Pulju for the goals against. I almost wished that's not the case so I could understand the extent of the negativity better. On the first one I didn't see where the situation started (in the neutral zone) so can't comment on that, but other than that I am sorry to say but I didn't see he had much or anything to do with it.

I also thought he'd deserved an assist to the first goal. Did anyone else notice this? It seems like he actually touched the puck, but in any case had a role in that. He also had a pretty good chance at the beginning of the 2nd period. Anyway, you guys have a great day, I'll start to enjoy the dark Finnish autumn night here :)

I have to agree with everything you've said. I thought he was getting an assist on that goal and I dont see how he is the culprit on the goal against. I thought his game last night overall was very good. What concerns me is his consistency with reads and the NHL level, his decisions once he has the puck on his stick and his overall positioning which has improved this year in my opinion.

When we get Rattie and Cagguila back I would like them to send PJ to the AHL for 40 games and let him work on his game without the pressure. He can be a good player for this team but think he needs time.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
If only he was like Laine where he was extremely good at one facet like shooting. Then we can use him as a triggerman but unfortunately, while he has a strong shot, it ain't very accurate.

The problem too though is have they even tried JP on the PP where he played in the FEL?. People have said he played the same position on the PP as Laine. You have a player who doesnt understand english well and has confidence issues. Like why wouldn't you put him in a position hes comfortable and had success in? To me, it just seems so obvious that you would try him in in position where hes had success to start and if he struggles than you try and figure something else out. As far as I can remember/tell, TM has never tried him in a position where hes had success and has basically tried to change his game to something else which TM knows how to use.

Seems to me that Winnipeg has put Laine in a position where he succeeds (mainly the PP). From what I read hes not a great 5 on 5 player at this point and has a lot of holes in his game. But at least they have found him a role where he succeeds and then slowly tried to round out and improve things over time. I am not sure anyone can say that this team has put JP in a position/role to succeed and then tried to development him and round him out over time. It sort of just feels like, well I dont know where to put JP on the roster, but management tells me to play him, so I will put him here. Maybe JP will just be a bust, lots of high level prospects just dont work out, but I do question if he was ever put in a good position with this organization (or if they had a plan with him) to begin with.

To TM's credit maybe he has tried him in that position on the PP in practice or other areas in the game and just said "This isnt going to work". But theres so many obvious things that TM seems stubborn to try and then when he does try, they tend to work out that its getting harder and harder to be able to trust his judgement.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
The problem too though is have they even tried JP on the PP where he played in the FEL?. People have said he played the same position on the PP as Laine. You have a player who doesnt understand english well and has confidence issues. Like why wouldn't you put him in a position hes comfortable and had success in? To me, it just seems so obvious that you would try him in in position where hes had success to start and if he struggles than you try and figure something else out. As far as I can remember/tell, TM has never tried him in a position where hes had success and has basically tried to change his game to something else which TM knows how to use.

Seems to me that Winnipeg has put Laine in a position where he succeeds (mainly the PP). From what I read hes not a great 5 on 5 player at this point and has a lot of holes in his game. But at least they have found him a role where he succeeds and then slowly tried to round out and improve things over time. I am not sure anyone can say that this team has put JP in a position/role to succeed and then tried to development him and round him out over time. It sort of just feels like, well I dont know where to put JP on the roster, but management tells me to play him, so I will put him here. Maybe JP will just be a bust, lots of high level prospects just dont work out, but I do question if he was ever put in a good position with this organization (or if they had a plan with him) to begin with.

To TM's credit maybe he has tried him in that position on the PP in practice or other areas in the game and just said "This isnt going to work". But theres so many obvious things that TM seems stubborn to try and then when he does try, they tend to work out that its getting harder and harder to be able to trust his judgement.

When our PP strategy is "give the puck to Mcdavid and just score on the rush" then anything is worth trying.

0 rights shots on our 1st unit, 4-5 right shots on our 2nd unit. Mix them up, have Mcdavid play on both units but decrease his PK time. If Mcdavid gets tired sub him out with whoever the coach thinks is hot.

1st unit:
Yamamoto-Draisaitl-Mcdavid
JP-Klefbom

2nd unit:
Strome-Lucic-Mcdavid
Bouchard/Bear-RNH

Each unit has 2 right shots/3 left shots. It also puts players in spots where they can succeed.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
I have to agree with everything you've said. I thought he was getting an assist on that goal and I dont see how he is the culprit on the goal against. I thought his game last night overall was very good. What concerns me is his consistency with reads and the NHL level, his decisions once he has the puck on his stick and his overall positioning which has improved this year in my opinion.

When we get Rattie and Cagguila back I would like them to send PJ to the AHL for 40 games and let him work on his game without the pressure. He can be a good player for this team but think he needs time.

As promised I'm staying out of the actual discussion now but saw the messages and write just to press a virtual like to your first paragraph :) Couldn't press the actual button as I think it's too early to even think about the AHL and even in that case I think it's better to trade him.

Just wanted to say this so I'm not being impolite or something.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
TMac just needs to gtfo and Puljujarvi would be fine. The short leash he is on, and the 9 minutes a night treatment is going to sap his confidence and he’ll regress. Just stfu Todd, live with rookie mistakes, and watch a bull develop right in front of your eyes. Lord why couldnt we have Gerard Gallant or Barry Trotz here instead of the koala.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
We have played a couple or more really tough opponents lately, I hope they stick with him for a while longer before doing anything drastic like sending him down.

He had his moments yesterday, good work just before Drai's 1st goal yesterday and later stripping Malkin in the o-zone leading to two pretty good chances, Reider with the first Pulju himself with the second.

Give him a breather against WSH and put him back in vs NSH and CHI. I prefer they sit him a game rather than play him on the 4th line right now, but that is just me.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
When our PP strategy is "give the puck to Mcdavid and just score on the rush" then anything is worth trying.

0 rights shots on our 1st unit, 4-5 right shots on our 2nd unit. Mix them up, have Mcdavid play on both units but decrease his PK time. If Mcdavid gets tired sub him out with whoever the coach thinks is hot.

1st unit:
Yamamoto-Draisaitl-Mcdavid
JP-Klefbom

2nd unit:
Strome-Lucic-Mcdavid
Bouchard/Bear-RNH

Each unit has 2 right shots/3 left shots. It also puts players in spots where they can succeed.
The PP is sitting at 30% so far in the regular season and was at about 30% in pre season as well.

It’s working as is.

Bully for Puljujarvi. He wants to be on the first unit on the PP. start playing like you belong in the league kid.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
TMac just needs to gtfo and Puljujarvi would be fine. The short leash he is on, and the 9 minutes a night treatment is going to sap his confidence and he’ll regress. Just **** Todd, live with rookie mistakes, and watch a bull develop right in front of your eyes. Lord why couldnt we have Gerard Gallant or Barry Trotz here instead of the koala.

Are you sure it's all about McLellan why Pulju is busting right at the moment.
I see that like this.

50% Pulju himself ( hasn't progressed at all, looks next Yakupov, only 29 points in 100 NHL games )
30% McLellan ( no clue how to coach Puljujarvi)
20% Oilers management ( no clear development plan for Pulju, brought him too early to NHL)

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
The PP is sitting at 30% so far in the regular season and was at about 30% in pre season as well.

It’s working as is.

Bully for Puljujarvi. He wants to be on the first unit on the PP. start playing like you belong in the league kid.

It's not 30% because of the system. It's 30% because Mcdavid keeps scoring or setting up goals off the rush. That's not a sign of a good PP.

space321

May 11, 2011

It’s working as is.

Strome belongs in this league? lol

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I'm just going to give it more time. Pulju is still struggling, and unfortunately not looking as good as he did in preseason but he's showing more gumption than most of last season.

My worry though, and this is fair, is Pulju starts well so far in his NHl career and does not end well. We need perseverance and more determination. That said I want to see more of Drai passing to spots with Pulju and Jesse bulling his way. This is occurring, and a valid way to play it, because Jesse is still struggling at getting into the right spots but is often willing to battle to retrieve a puck. The combination of Rieder on the line also contributes to the 3 creating offensive zone chaos battle. Just doing enough to contest the puck and often winning it with weight and leaning on opponents. Its a nice mix. As mentioned it plays to some of Drais strengths. it will look less pretty but will have results in chances, production, and in Offensive zone pressure.

I want these 3 together at least for the remainder of the month. But would OK with a much longer apprenticeship. There is promise with the triad.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Yeah, I agree, it's on the player, the coach, and the organization. He's still very young, but on the other hand, I don't think he's shown any improvement in 3 years.

You think if McDavid saw any benefit in playing with Jesse he'd be up there, instead of Ty Rattie?

It's a real pickle. Do you wait for the rest of the year to see if he can figure it out? Or does that just torpedo his value?

I mean we traded Yakupov for what, a 4th round pick? And I see a lot of Yakupov in Puljujarvi. Doesn't fit in. Doesn't know where to go on the ice. Can't string anything together consistently.

Maybe McLellan is a terrible coach for him. Maybe he can't break through the language barrier.

Maybe Puljujarvi is a fun, talented guy who doesn't have the craziness/focus necessary to be an elite player.

I just wonder how long we wait on this. People talk about Pastrnak and Rantanen exploding in their 3rd years, but come on, those guys had star player written all over them early on. Puljujarvi looks like a replacement level 3rd line player right now.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
It's not 30% because of the system. It's 30% because Mcdavid keeps scoring or setting up goals off the rush. That's not a sign of a good PP.
Seems like that is the system though. They force the puck back and have McDavid hit the zone with speed.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

It’s working as is.

I agree

There is a spot for him to be on every line on this team. Others have stepped up and done things to force the coach to give them shots, what has JP done?

He doesn't hit, he doesn't force turnovers, he doesn't shoot and he's not scoring. People complain that certain players get ice time when they shouldn't, why the hell should JP be one of those guys is my question?

Not like he was in the AHL last year and was lighting it up offensively. We have Marody, Hebig and Benson with a point a game or better in the AHL this year. I could see a coach giving them a longer leash as at least they are showing something.

I like the kid, but he needs to step up and do something. If he isn't scoring then go out and make some hits

Reactions: frag2

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Seems like that is the system though. They force the puck back and have McDavid hit the zone with speed.

So the Oilers PP getting caught on a 2 on 1, Klefbom blocking the shot, Edmonton going back the other way on a 3 on 2 and scoring is the plan that TM drew up??? He must be the greatest coach on the planet for employing this rope a dope strategy to the PP.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I agree

There is a spot for him to be on every line on this team. Others have stepped up and done things to force the coach to give them shots, what has JP done?

He doesn't hit, he doesn't force turnovers, he doesn't shoot and he's not scoring. People complain that certain players get ice time when they shouldn't, why the hell should JP be one of those guys is my question?

Not like he was in the AHL last year and was lighting it up offensively. We have Marody, Hebig and Benson with a point a game or better in the AHL this year. I could see a coach giving them a longer leash as at least they are showing something.

I like the kid, but he needs to step up and do something. If he isn't scoring then go out and make some hits

It's what I've been saying since his rookie year. TMac aint perfect, far from it. But JP needs to take responsibility and prove he belongs consistently. I think him not lighting up the AHL was and is still a concern. It's strange because he seemingly feasted during the preseason and none of that seemingly carried over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad