Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi '18-19 Season Part 5, Jesse Bumped Up the Line-up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
he lacks coordination because he hasn't filled into his body yet. He probably wont fill in for another 1-2 years then once that happens he will take sometime to adjust to it and coordination should improve like with Rantanen. He looked like Bambi on skates before he filled out and improved in AHL.

I actually really hate this type of argument, that some player needs to "fill into his body". Okay if we're talking about an 18 or 19 year old that's really skinny and has a large frame, but we're talking about a player who is in his 3rd year in the league and 6'4, 212 lbs already. There's not much more "filling in" to do. He is what he is.

Same goes for Nurse. People talked for so long about how he was gonna be a beast once he "filled in". Well, the guy is soon-to-be 24 years old, 6'4 and 220 lbs. There's no more filling in for him to do. He is what he has always been. He's not Pronger reincarnated or whatever people were saying back then that he would be once he filled out.

This is an ancient way of thinking. Being bigger is not necessarily being better these days. It's so much more about smart and skills. Going from 200 lbs to 220 doesn't make you automatically better in the NHL anno 2019.

Reactions: Omark

Cam98

Jun 24, 2009
I actually really hate this type of argument, that some player needs to "fill into his body". Okay if we're talking about an 18 or 19 year old that's really skinny and has a large frame, but we're talking about a player who is in his 3rd year in the league and 6'4, 212 lbs already. There's not much more "filling in" to do. He is what he is.

Same goes for Nurse. People talked for so long about how he was gonna be a beast once he "filled in". Well, the guy is soon-to-be 24 years old, 6'4 and 220 lbs. There's no more filling in for him to do. He is what he has always been. He's not Pronger reincarnated or whatever people were saying back then that he would be once he filled out.

This is an ancient way of thinking. Being bigger is not necessarily being better these days. It's so much more about smart and skills. Going from 200 lbs to 220 doesn't make you automatically better in the NHL anno 2019.

In order to fix his coordination, yes he will need to fill into his body. He currently plays at 195-200, not 212. He needs to be around 215-220 so he is stronger on his skates, stick making his coordination vastly improved.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
In order to fix his coordination, yes he will need to fill into his body. He currently plays at 195-200, not 212. He needs to be around 215-220 so he is stronger on his skates, stick making his coordination vastly improved.

I don't think that has a lot to do with his weight necessarily. He's heavy enough. It's more about working on specific drills and improving his core strength than adding weight. I think the guy needs a high-end trainer (both for on-ice and off-ice stuff) more than anything else. It's kinda alarming how little he has progressed in any facet of the game since he was drafted. In many ways he seems to be going backwards in development.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
The goal we saw tonight will be the goals he predominantly scores in the NHL (and maybe the odd skill goal like that last one timer). Once he figures out that he is big enough to be a problem in front of the net like tonight, and learns to be a little bit smoother in and out of the paths of his linemates, we'll have an NHL player. That NHler might be a middle 6 winger, but it's better than nothing. Don't trade this kid unless it's for a clear win (which won't happen, Chia or not).

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
The goal we saw tonight will be the goals he predominantly scores in the NHL (and maybe the odd skill goal like that last one timer). Once he figures out that he is big enough to be a problem in front of the net like tonight, and learns to be a little bit smoother in and out of the paths of his linemates, we'll have an NHL player. That NHler might be a middle 6 winger, but it's better than nothing. Don't trade this kid unless it's for a clear win (which won't happen, Chia or not).

Exactly. I might've considered trading him, but knowing Chia's track record there is no point. The chance of him becoming a star winger is very slim now, but if he continues to learn to use his size and improve his finesse, and continues to get to the dirty areas, he might become a good second line winger, which the Oilers could really use now.

Reactions: Zaddy and Oilhawks

alesis

Dec 1, 2008
It's kinda alarming how little he has progressed in any facet of the game since he was drafted. In many ways he seems to be going backwards in development.
To me it seems they broke his natural game and confidence to pieces, and now there is a rebuild going on. He is not yet even at the level he entered the NHL. Maybe he was more fragile than expected and broke into smaller pieces...

elmaco

Feb 1, 2017
To me it seems they broke his natural game and confidence to pieces, and now there is a rebuild going on. He is not yet even at the level he entered the NHL. Maybe he was more fragile than expected and broke into smaller pieces...
Some good hot poetry going on here.

Reactions: Blue line Howie

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Exactly. I might've considered trading him, but knowing Chia's track record there is no point. The chance of him becoming a star winger is very slim now, but if he continues to learn to use his size and improve his finesse, and continues to get to the dirty areas, he might become a good second line winger, which the Oilers could really use now.

No kidding. If Chia can turn a top 6 winger like Eberle into a guy worthy of healthy scratches through trades, what would he turn Jesse into? The franchise folding?

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

He'll probably be the piece going with Lucic lol

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I hate to see him 15-20 pounds heavier. His first steps aren't exactly that fast as it is.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Just watched most of the game while eating lunch. I usually want JP off the ice but he looked good this game. I noticed JP, Drai, and kassian were buzzing. All three could have had a couple goals. Oh and the reffs were absolutely atrocious. Also 1/3 of the players on the ducks are pieces of shit.

Reactions: nabob and Oilhawks

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Blows my mind again that the ducks got a PP after Montour suckies lucic and Getzlaf suckies Drai and headlocks him. Just atrocious officiating in this game.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
Blows my mind again that the ducks got a PP after Montour suckies lucic and Getzlaf suckies Drai and headlocks him. Just atrocious officiating in this game.

Yep, lucic gets a stick up high but sets up a goal, chirps the guy who hit him, get's sucker punched, then headlocked, then drai goes to help him and gets jumped by getzlaf while refusing to engage, and somehow we ended up with a pk.

The reffing, win or lose, it ruining the NHL for me. With the oilers playing as bad as they are, the refs don't need to help me not want to watch games.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Yep, lucic gets a stick up high but sets up a goal, chirps the guy who hit him, get's sucker punched, then headlocked, then drai goes to help him and gets jumped by getzlaf while refusing to engage, and somehow we ended up with a pk.

The reffing, win or lose, it ruining the NHL for me. With the oilers playing as bad as they are, the refs don't need to help me not want to watch games.
Yah chirping is unsportsmanlike but Getzlaf suck bombing Drai and then headlocking him when he wanted zero part of it is completely fine. Don’t even get me started about McDavid getting bombed into the boards from behind either.

Reactions: TB12 and nabob

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
Yah chirping is unsportsmanlike but Getzlaf suck bombing Drai and then headlocking him when he wanted zero part of it is completely fine. Don’t even get me started about McDavid getting bombed into the boards from behind either.

This is basically the standard I expect now, especially in california games.

I used to think the refs had it out for edmonton, but this year has really cemented the fact that they're just plain incompetent.

The privilege of getting to ref some playoff games is not enough accountability for these idiots to be forced to improve.

According to google, the average NHL ref makes between 165 000 and 365 000 a year (American I assume).

Imagine a job where you pull in that kind of money, but never have to face any accountability for being wrong. The absolute worst you face is that you might not get to ref some extra games for some extra cash at the end of the year.

Reactions: TB12

Still DRAI

Jun 15, 2013
I hate to see him 15-20 pounds heavier. His first steps aren't exactly that fast as it is.

I know what you're saying, but there's also going to be a difference between adding muscle mass via training and that which he'll develop as he finishes maturing - I'm no sports therapist or anything like that, but I don't think that the phenomenon of "man strength" is a myth, and my very brief google searches seem to indicate that ~25 is the peak of physical strength for most men.

I definitely have a pro-Jesse bias, but I admit that he looks lanky and uncoordinated a lot of the time - I just think that this is due to his physical development (still "rangy" in overall build) rather than due to a lack of skating skill.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
In all fairness Drai and McDavid should be targetting all the time by the other team. Yesterday LD deserved it as well. He gave Henrique 3 really good cross checks and didn't really stick around. If that was Silverberg or Henrique or Kase doing it to our star I'd hope someone would do the same to them.

LD likes to talk and if he isn't going to stand up to himself guys will continue to get away with doing this to him

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I know what you're saying, but there's also going to be a difference between adding muscle mass via training and that which he'll develop as he finishes maturing - I'm no sports therapist or anything like that, but I don't think that the phenomenon of "man strength" is a myth, and my very brief google searches seem to indicate that ~25 is the peak of physical strength for most men.

I definitely have a pro-Jesse bias, but I admit that he looks lanky and uncoordinated a lot of the time - I just think that this is due to his physical development (still "rangy" in overall build) rather than due to a lack of skating skill.
I just hope he doesn't become one of those guys that does everything they can to get to a weight. If he naturally gets there fine, but there is no need to force it.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
In all fairness Drai and McDavid should be targetting all the time by the other team. Yesterday LD deserved it as well. He gave Henrique 3 really good cross checks and didn't really stick around. If that was Silverberg or Henrique or Kase doing it to our star I'd hope someone would do the same to them.

LD likes to talk and if he isn't going to stand up to himself guys will continue to get away with doing this to him
It’s still an evening out penalty

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

For a second part of me wanted to see Drai drop the gloves with Getzlaf. Then I thought to myself Getz would likely win and our 2nd best player might get hurt.

Reactions: KarmaPolice

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
It might really help Jesse if he had fewer options to concern himself with. A simpler game plan would probably help.

All he should think about (if he has the puck) is to carry the puck in and immediately hand it off and go to the front of the net. If he doesn't have the puck...just go directly to the front of the net.
Simple game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oilhawks and nabob

Kolja

1-5-6-14
Oct 30, 2011
It might really help Jesse if he had fewer options to concern himself with. As simpler game plan would probably help.

All he should think about (if he has the puck) is to carry the puck in and immediately hand it off and go to the front of the net. If he doesn't have the puck...just go directly to the front of the net.
Simple game.

100% agree.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
For a second part of me wanted to see Drai drop the gloves with Getzlaf. Then I thought to myself Getz would likely win and our 2nd best player might get hurt.

Not worth the possible concussion risk to Drai. He's not a fighter, and him trying to fight a vet like Getzlaf is a bad idea with a likely bad outcome. Let Lucic (or Nurse) handle that, especially when he's out on the ice at the same time with Drai, as he was in that event.

As for Jesse, I think he's starting to get into better positions, but he's a work in progress. Still too early to say anything definitive of him, IMO. Work in progress. Give Hitch more time.

Last edited:

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

I really hate this type of uninformed and narrow minded argument.

Actually he grew to 6’5” by most reports coming into camp this year and was down from his 212lbs weight. He was and still is a lanky kid. Very disingenuous of you to draw the line at 18/19 and leave him out because he is 20. A man doesn’t fill out until his early 20’s and in Nurses case it’s obvious that he has filled out the last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad