Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi '18-19 Season Part 5, Jesse Bumped Up the Line-up

Status
Not open for further replies.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Even if you aren’t enamoured with JP, and I’m not, I just don’t get why some fans have to be so mean about their criticism. The way Puljujarvi gets treated on this board is kind of sad. It reminds me of the way a certain segment of the fan base went after Gagner. Out of order imo.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I see little to no resemblance of Yak to JP in thier style.

However. Thier development has been identical in that they have both had the vast majority of it spent in a bottom 6 role.

I agree with this to start a players career to learn a two way game. But now JP needs that true top 6 push. Otherwise his top end will be a third line winger.

He needs top PP time and a top 6 offensive role.

I think he plays a solid two way game.

Just needs confidence and true opportunity.

Unfortunately I don't he will get those under this coaching staff.

TKB21

Oct 27, 2013

However. Thier development has been identical in that they have both had the vast majority of it spent in a bottom 6 role.

I agree with this to start a players career to learn a two way game. But now JP needs that true top 6 push. Otherwise his top end will be a third line winger.

Correct me if I’m wrong but hasn’t JP been playing a second line role for about 6-8 straight games now? He’s done nothing of note but he should also be tossed on a top power play unit? I had high hopes for him but once again our development and making the wrong pick has struck again.

talitintti

Oct 13, 2018
The entire coaching staff has been flipped through Jesse's career. The one thing remaining a constant is that they do not see use for Jesse in the 1st powerplay unit.

But hey, it's all on the coaches and not on Puljujärvi. Fire Hitchcock.

DerpMorg

10 Year Tire Fire
Feb 1, 2012
Ft. McMurray
Jesse has an Impossible time getting open or in a spot to shoot or even to get a shot off in 5vs5. Better put him on the 1st pp unit.

Honestly. He’s going to end up as Yakupov 2.0. Can we just cut out losses now?

Reactions: CycloneSweep

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
Köln, Helsinki, Lappeenranta

So third coach is the answer?

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Correct me if I’m wrong but hasn’t JP been playing a second line role for about 6-8 straight games now? He’s done nothing of note but he should also be tossed on a top power play unit? I had high hopes for him but once again our development and making the wrong pick has struck again.
How is picking the unanimous #3 when he fell to you at #4 making the wrong pick? I do t think 90% of posters here understand at all what hindsight is

Reactions: ujju2

talitintti

Oct 13, 2018
Jesse also had 0+0 in 11 games with Team Finland in 2017.You can cry about utilization, but it's looking more and more that this player just doesn't cut it at this level of hockey at all.

Reactions: DerpMorg

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

Why would you want a guy that literally skates into his own players and everyone’s way on your Power Play?

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Here is the thing. The only thing Pulju has that would work on a PP is his shot however he struggles to find open space period and his shot has become incredibly inaccurate. He has a 8.6 shooting percentage and averages one shot a game. In a full season that's a 7 goal pace. He isn't getting clean shots off period. Last year he was getting double the shots on net.

JariCurry

Sep 10, 2005
Here is the thing. The only thing Pulju has that would work on a PP is his shot however he struggles to find open space period and his shot has become incredibly inaccurate. He has a 8.6 shooting percentage and averages one shot a game. In a full season that's a 7 goal pace. He isn't getting clean shots off period. Last year he was getting double the shots on net.

Takes him forever to get it off, its usually from about 30 feet or more away from the net, and honestly most of the time they are muffins.

The oilers are trying their best to salvage him and they should. He is not worth much in a trade.

At the time of the draft I was pumped that they got him and saw flashes early on but now he looks to be a dud .

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

If you put him on the PP it opens up shooting lanes for him more than at ES. The lack of shots points to a lack of confidence and a lack of him getting open and/or his teammates finding him in open spots for his shot. However at least he isn't doing the Paajarvi special firing muffins from just inside the opponents blueline.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
What in the world has JP done so far that he should replace Nugent Hopkins on the #1 pp unit? A player w/ 15 pp and climbing.

Yes, let's make the pp worse by removing one of our top pp guys for him:help:

Reactions: MessierII

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Rob Brown after the game tonight...."Puljujarvi just doesn't know where to go in the offensive end of the ice." "He makes the wrong play far too often."

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
Rob Brown after the game tonight...."Puljujarvi just doesn't know where to go in the offensive end of the ice." "He makes the wrong play far too often."
Ah come on now. Hes been playing really good. He should be on the pp. Only reason why hes not doing much is the fans are mean , the broadcasters are trying to run him out of town & the coaches screw him over.
Do I have that right?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Ah come on now. Hes been playing really good. He should be on the pp. Only reason why hes not doing much is the fans are mean , the broadcasters are trying to run him out of town & the coaches screw him over.
Do I have that right?

Dont get me wrong I would really like to see Jesse succeed but its been clear to me for at least a year now that the biggest issue Jesse has isn't coaching...it isn't usage...it is between his ears.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

Rob Brown must be a Jesse hater. How dare he pick on a 20 year old kid. Mods!? Rob Brown is trolling

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Dont get me wrong I would really like to see Jesse succeed but its been clear to me for at least a year now that the biggest issue Jesse has isn't coaching...it isn't usage...it is between his ears.

He also can't stickhandle very well so he is forced into throwing the puck away on the other teams terms instead of his own.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
I love Jesse, but it won't work our for him in Edmonton. Trade him. I hope he works out somewhere else. Don't further dwindle his value like they did with Yak.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
He also can't stickhandle very well so he is forced into throwing the puck away on the other teams terms instead of his own.

For sure stick handling is not his strength but I think he does quite well carrying the puck and holding off defenders with one hand. He has power forward capabilities from time to time.
He just doesnt seem to have the fire in his belly to assert himself often enough. Also...the times when he does really well carrying it in across the blueline he then (8 times out of 10) he negates all of his work by making a low percentage play.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Seasons over, we aren't winning anything. Send him and Yamamoto down to build confidence. I'd say send Jones down again but he has been quite good and has been playing confident for the most part and is improving.

Reactions: tellermine

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
sn - Sportsnet.ca

I know it's the flames, but man I wish the oilers would consider this with yam and JP.

Obviously we don't have the depth to not call them up immediately, but how nice would it be to have a totally confident and high scoring JP and Yamamoto show up to TC next year.

I know hitch wants to bring JP along personally, but I still feel he'd be better off playing 20+ minutes and growing his game in the AHL for the season.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
The season's already done. No point letting him play bottom 6 minutes in the NHL when he can be thriving in the AHL. Besides, who the f***'s gonna score when they got Lucic cemented to their lines? Lucic Khaira and JP = a puke line. If anything at all, it should be Khaira, Nuge, and JP who were pretty effective as a line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad