Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi '18-19 Season Part 5, Jesse Bumped Up the Line-up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
The problem is that you insist on having an argument instead of a discussion. You can’t handle people disagreeing with you and claim you’re being attacked. It’s really too much

Oh, the irony is rich with this one. I don't even know why I bother with you honestly. You already showed me this summer what kind of poster you are. The only reason I removed you from my ignore list was that the forums looked wonky and hard to read as you post so much that you're bound to get a lot of replies and those replies don't make a lot of sense without the context of the original post.

But sure, let me show you some examples of you attacking me. Your first post to me was literally this:
I really hate this type of uninformed and narrow minded argument

Bear in mind I hadn't even posted anything in reply to you before this. You started this 'discussion' by mocking my previous post as well as saying it's uninformed and narrow-minded. Not at all hostile, no sir.

You then continue with this nugget where you put words in my mouth:
It’s so stupid when posters judge a player based off their 18/19 year old seasons as if they are finished developing like you are with Jesse.

Then it continues here:
That’s a weak straw man that you just made up.
Blatantly false statement.

But please continue to write a player off because of his play as a 14-17 year old, seeing as how you just said your problems with him are from long before he was an Oiler.
Again putting words in my mouth and deliberately misunderstanding me and misconstruing my argument.

Just when it seemed that writing a player off for his play as an 18 year old was the dumbest thing I’ve seen you prove you can eclipse that by writing him off because of his play as a child.
Again, not at all hostile or attacking in any way, right?

This isn't just one isolated incident either, this is how you argue, or in your terms 'discuss', by deliberately misconstruing the opposing parts arguments and then calling them dumb or stupid.

Don't pretend like you are even remotely interested in having an honest and civil discussion. You're 100% emotionally invested in defending and shielding Puljujärvi from any sort of criticism or even hint at criticism.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
In all fairness Drai and McDavid should be targetting all the time by the other team. Yesterday LD deserved it as well. He gave Henrique 3 really good cross checks and didn't really stick around. If that was Silverberg or Henrique or Kase doing it to our star I'd hope someone would do the same to them.

LD likes to talk and if he isn't going to stand up to himself guys will continue to get away with doing this to him

OT to the thread, but agreed with this. Drai on that play ought to have done what Nurse did. Don't hold back. put the guy on his ass. Either do that, all in, or don't do the lesser. Drai is setting himself up for a fight where theres no out and its what Getzlaf was communicating. Giving him no out. To his small credit Getz didn't start pounding away. it will happen, someone will do it. Drai is getting sucked into a vortex that will ultimately involve fights and its a bad move for him. Keep his play physical, by all means throw hits, but knock off the after the whistle cross checks Leon, that is junk in your game.

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
Köln, Helsinki, Lappeenranta
Jesse has a great game, scores again and all this thread is a bunch of ignorance and trolling. Good grief. It’s funny how so many posters get so triggered when he plays well. It’s like some people truly do want him to fail. Just so their thoughts about him as a U16 player can be justified.

The same posters who thought Drai was a bust after his rookie season and wished the Oilers drafted Bennett. The same posters who scream “no hockey IQ” every time Nurse doesn’t score on a rush. The same posters who seem to find more enjoyment when players struggle than when the team is winning.
You are over reacting again.

There are few fanboy posters, few haters and quite good number of objective posters.
Both extreme croups are obnoxious.

Though, I might just imagine it as One said....

Reactions: frag2

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Depends where and how he add the mass. He could add 15-20 pounds of muscle to his core and legs and he would probably have a faster first step/s.
Oh for sure, although I don't even know if he needs that much or if it's more technique.

The problem I somewhat have is they can't get JP to change his stick length, so is he actually willing to adjust how he skates to maximize his speed?

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Weight isn't JP's problem. His problem is weak skating, lack of hockey IQ and confidence. Wouldn't surprise me if he's done in the NHL for at least a couple of years maybe and heads back to Finland. Unless there's a major turn around before the year's over I think he's done with the Oilers for awhile come the end of his ELC. Huge disappointment mostly so far.

Absolutely. i'm not going to say he's gonna be a sure bust but he's definitely looking way more like a suspect than prospect. still young but i'd definitely be leaning towards thinking he's a bust to some degree.

people had always said his skating was one of his strengths but i disagree, it's weak as far as edge work, foot speed quickness, transition, agility. his top speed is alright but agility, acceleration, agility edge work are more important. have to be able to quickly dart around and manouver well on a whim. to pull out a top gun reference, you'd definitely want more to be like the highly manouverable mig over the faster f14 in hockey.

hockey iq and confidence are definitely also currently an issue. hard to say if that would improve. his hands are built for the current nhl too. too slow. his puck manouvering abilities are much like his skating.... slow, looping movements. need to have more quick touches and "agility" handling the puck. so easy to knock the puck off the stick of someone who doesn't have those quick agile touches and dexterity with the puck.

his mind processing the play is not bad. can improve but it's not terrible. just his hands and feet are too slow to allow him to make the play.

he looks like he can be a solid forechecker in that he does have an ok stick as far as poking it out and knocking the puck off opposing team's puck carriers from time to time.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
"That's a stupid comment"

"That's a dumb comment"

"that's a horrible Comment"

"That's dumb and dumber"

"That's doubling down on dumb"

C'mon people, lets try to discuss this a bit better.

Nobody can state that peoples comments here are stupid on a moderated board. You want to think that, fine, keep it to yourself.

Reactions: nabob and Zaddy

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Hahaha ok Frag. I have repeatedly stated that JP has many flaws but you insist on being ignorant and choose to take pot shot and flame me instead of having a discussion.

Hell I can’t even mention that Hitchcock is a superior coach to McLellan without you acting up and going on some rant about how I’m not an Oilers fan, just a Puljujarvi fan. That’s some DSF/Replacement level posting from you.

Man, I tried to intervene in good faith without singling anybody out but you've gone completely sideways in this thread. You're getting it back for a reason. You are attacking other posters.

Last edited:

Daryls Friend

May 14, 2017
Jesse has a great game, scores again and all this thread is a bunch of ignorance and trolling. Good grief. It’s funny how so many posters get so triggered when he plays well. It’s like some people truly do want him to fail. Just so their thoughts about him as a U16 player can be justified.

The same posters who thought Drai was a bust after his rookie season and wished the Oilers drafted Bennett. The same posters who scream “no hockey IQ” every time Nurse doesn’t score on a rush. The same posters who seem to find more enjoyment when players struggle than when the team is winning.
Everything to you is trolling and ignorant if its not waiving JP pom poms and making excuses.
And please provide your "work" in regards to "The same posters".
You do far more trolling on this issue than anyone.

Last edited:
Reactions: frag2

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
It’s interesting that yet another one of his goals comes through being part of the havoc in front of the net.

Posters saying this is the skill/niche he should build on are bang on. Forget about scoring goals from the outside or being a QB on the PP. At least for the meantime. Focus on getting to the front of the net and banging in rebounds. A lot of players have scored a lot of goals from within 10 feet of the net.

No shame in that being the spot you try to make hay.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
It’s interesting that yet another one of his goals comes through being part of the havoc in front of the net.

Posters saying this is the skill/niche he should build on are bang on. Forget about scoring goals from the outside or being a QB on the PP. At least for the meantime. Focus on getting to the front of the net and banging in rebounds. A lot of players have scored a lot of goals from within 10 feet of the net.

He has a huge wingspan and reach. He could be a good weapon in front of the net on the PP to sweep in rebounds and deflections. Whether he's willing to take the abuse might be another question.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

It's where Yakupov used to score his goals too. And he never figured that out.

Regardless of what the right method is with this player, we're going to be waiting for him to 'fill out' on an active roster. How long do you think the team is willing to wait for?

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Anyone that criticizes JP, you get worked up. He's on his 4th coach. He's scoring at an even worse rate than he did under TMac AND getting more opportunities. But hey keep fighting the good fight. He's clearly not progressing-looks better but not much to show for where it counts. Either he was playing the game incorrectly in the FEL or he's just not good enough for the NHL.

We all want him to succeed but with each passing game, we're left wanting more and coming out disappointed. Can't wait to hear what excuse you'll make if he ends up with less points under Hitchcock. It's Hitch's fault now right?

4th coach? Interesting...

If you were disappointed in his last game then it really shows more about you then it does about him.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Oh, the irony is rich with this one. I don't even know why I bother with you honestly. You already showed me this summer what kind of poster you are. The only reason I removed you from my ignore list was that the forums looked wonky and hard to read as you post so much that you're bound to get a lot of replies and those replies don't make a lot of sense without the context of the original post.

But sure, let me show you some examples of you attacking me. Your first post to me was literally this:

Bear in mind I hadn't even posted anything in reply to you before this. You started this 'discussion' by mocking my previous post as well as saying it's uninformed and narrow-minded. Not at all hostile, no sir.

Then it continues here:

Again putting words in my mouth and deliberately misunderstanding me and misconstruing my argument.

This isn't just one isolated incident either, this is how you argue, or in your terms 'discuss', by deliberately misconstruing the opposing parts arguments and then calling them dumb or stupid.

Don't pretend like you are even remotely interested in having an honest and civil discussion. You're 100% emotionally invested in defending and shielding Puljujärvi from any sort of criticism or even hint at criticism.

That’s hilarious considering that I have no issue criticizing the player on my own accord. Keep trying to flame me and make false statements all you want. I’ll gladly put you back on ignore :)

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Man, I tried to intervene in good faith without singling anybody out but you've gone completely sideways in this thread. You're getting it back for a reason. You are attacking other posters.

By saying that Hitchcock is a much better coach than McLellan? That’s what Frag apparently has such an issue with.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
He has a huge wingspan and reach. He could be a good weapon in front of the net on the PP to sweep in rebounds and deflections. Whether he's willing to take the abuse might be another question.

Dave Andreychuk (same frame type as Jesse) played that role to perfection at a time when the abuse was a lot worse than it is now. Its an easier role now than it used to be and IMO its a perfect starting point for Jesse.

Reactions: nabob

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Oh for sure, although I don't even know if he needs that much or if it's more technique.

The problem I somewhat have is they can't get JP to change his stick length, so is he actually willing to adjust how he skates to maximize his speed?

I think he really needs to learn how to play NHL hockey and hadn’t been instructed on that properly until this offseason where he and the Oilers very specifically said that they gave him specific things to work on. He needs a lot of work, and I’ve never said anything different, just the package of very raw tools could be special if he can learn how to use them.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I think he really needs to learn how to play NHL hockey and hadn’t been instructed on that properly until this offseason where he and the Oilers very specifically said that they gave him specific things to work on. He needs a lot of work, and I’ve never said anything different, just the package of very raw tools could be special if he can learn how to use them.
Oh for sure. Hard to learn NHL hockey when the communication wasn't exactly there either.

Reactions: nabob

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Then it continues here:

Excellent post.
The bolded is right on the mark.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Dave Andreychuk (same frame type as Jesse) played that role to perfection at a time when the abuse was a lot worse than it is now. Its an easier role now than it used to be and IMO its a perfect starting point for Jesse.

I think he'd be good at that role. Big frame helps screen the goalie. Long reach for rebounds. Not sure how he is with tips, but that's something every player usually has to practice on, unless you have freakishly good hand-eye coordination like McDavid. Padding is also better. I'm sure he could deal with it.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I think he'd be good at that role. Big frame helps screen the goalie. Long reach for rebounds. Not sure how he is with tips, but that's something every player usually has to practice on, unless you have freakishly good hand-eye coordination like McDavid. Padding is also better. I'm sure he could deal with it.

He seems to work really well in tight for a tall man. As Hitch has stated he has a deceptive stick and I cant think of a better place to take advantage of that than in front of the net.

It also removes parts of the game that seem to give him trouble with his linemates...dynamic movement. That seems to trip up his processor so a more static game would seem to make sense.

I am convinced that there are elements of the game that Jesse really struggles with...despite his physical tool set he just doesnt seem to have the capability to process the game at high speed. Thats what makes Connor so exceptional is that his brain can keep up with his physical tools....Jesse is the opposite IMO. So he just needs to slow things down a bit....simplify and change his game in such a way that he can process more effectively.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

Another typical post from you. Slanting the narrative

First off, JP didn't have a "great" game. He scored a sweet goal. The rest of the game he played normalish hockey.
A great game is watching a 20yr old Hischier with a multi point game. A 20 yr old Boeser w/ a hatrick

JP, playing with a legit center, and scoring a goal in 7 games is simply to be expected, and infact, extremely underwhelming.

Second, insinuating posters are piling on him after last game, when for the last 7 games he's been invisible, demoted and benched is about as dishonest as yo can get

Last edited:

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Another typical post from you. Slanting the narrative

First off, JP didn't have a "great" game. He scored a sweet goal. The rest of the game he played normalish hockey.
A great game is watching a 20yr old Hischier with a multi point game. A 20 yr old Boeser w/ a hatrick

JP, playing with a legit center, and scoring a goal in 7 games is simply to be expected, and infact, extremely underwhelming.

Second, insinuating posters are piling on him after last game, when for the last 7 games he's been invisible, demoted and benched is about as dishonest as yo can get

Even some of his biggest detractors said he had a very good game. I know your incapable of saying anything positive about the player. A player doesn’t have to get a Hattie or have multiple points for it to be a great game. I commented on his last game, yet you do the expected and slag him for previous games with your slanted narrative.

Last edited:

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Even some of his biggest detractors said he had a very good game. I know your incapable of saying anything positive about the player.

Sure, good and great are 2 separate things...but that's not the point, you isolating a single game to try and justify attacking posters is

Last I checked, saying he scored " a sweet goal" is a compliment. But keep making up bs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->