Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi '18-19 Season Part 5, Jesse Bumped Up the Line-up

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
At this point, they should just loan him back to Karpat, leave him there for a couple years, hope he learns how to play hockey again and then maybe consider bringing him back.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
At this point, they should just loan him back to Karpat, leave him there for a couple years, hope he learns how to play hockey again and then maybe consider bringing him back.

I disagree.

I think he needs to stay in N/A, just not the NHL.

He was doing just fine before we recalled him again. It seems he can score in the AHL, which would allow him to focus on improving other aspects of his game, and develop confidence in his scoring again.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I disagree.

I think he needs to stay in N/A, just not the NHL.

He was doing just fine before we recalled him again. It seems he can score in the AHL, which would allow him to focus on improving other aspects of his game, and develop confidence in his scoring again.

It's the NHL or waivers next year.

I think you'd be better off giving him a QO, having him agree not to sign it and let him play in Finland.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
It's the NHL or waivers next year.

I think you'd be better off giving him a QO, having him agree not to sign it and let him play in Finland.

Ah I see, I wasn't aware of the waiver requirement next year. If he continues to fail to produce here until the end of the season, I could get behind that idea.

I'd really like him to develop into a 25/25 guy who forechecks like a monster and plays a solid 200' game, and I don't see that happening here.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
He's not looking bad, but he's barely treading water. Not the worst for a 20YO, but you need to ask "why?".

Why keep him (and Yama) out of a good situation in Bakersfield? A place where they can actually put up good numbers and feel confident about their games.

Right now Pulju and Yama don't bring much more than Rattie, so why keep them up? The AHL is a better place for someone who's 20 than a flawed NHL roster. Especially if you're not going to give them PP time.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
He's not looking bad, but he's barely treading water. Not the worst for a 20YO, but you need to ask "why?".

Why keep him (and Yama) out of a good situation in Bakersfield? A place where they can actually put up good numbers and feel confident about their games.

Right now Pulju and Yama don't bring much more than Rattie, so why keep them up? The AHL is a better place for someone who's 20 than a flawed NHL roster. Especially if you're not going to give them PP time.

I think the simple answer is there's no better options.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Currently, sure. But hell, I'd rather have had Zykov do nothing on the NHL roster and Pulju show a pulse in the AHL, vs. Jesse struggling to just keep his head above water.

Scherbak should be an easy claim to accomplish the same end.

I don't disagree, but Hitch seems to like him for some reason and Chia needs him to turn out to save some face.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Send Puljujarvi and Yamamoto (when healthy) down to the AHL and keep them there for the rest of the year.

Go acquire Patrick Maroon for a bag of peanuts for the rest of the season.

Reactions: McShogun99

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Send Puljujarvi and Yamamoto (when healthy) down to the AHL and keep them there for the rest of the year.

Go acquire Patrick Maroon for a bag of peanuts for the rest of the season.

Maroon would actually be a decent fit atm.

Maroon-McDavid-Draisaitl
Scherbak-RNH-Chiasson
Lucic-Spooner-Rieder/Rattie
Khaira-Brodziak-Kassian

That looks a little better.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Maroon would actually be a decent fit atm.

Maroon-McDavid-Draisaitl
Scherbak-RNH-Chiasson
Lucic-Spooner-Rieder/Rattie
Khaira-Brodziak-Kassian

That looks a little better.

It's not even about appearances at this point, team's season is probably done.

Puljujarvi and Yamamoto aren't ready for the NHL, keeping them here is not smart. Send them down and keep them there.

Reactions: Dazed and Confused

Oct 15, 2017
I was soso excited when he fell to the Oilers but honestly I don't think the Oilers should draft euro players anymore in the first round.

• The skip by the Finnish gm
  • The pretty much snub by the National team because he was benched the entire time or healthy scratched
  • The constant offsides and throwing the puck away
  • Instead of going to open space he seems to go to the puck and crowd the puck carrier
  • His overall lack of shooting or getting into position to shoot.
  • After these past 2 years I hate to go to the side that maybe he just doesn't have it but I think we are there. I see a serious lack of hockey sense in the fast paced game of the NHL. Hitch loves his stick but only when JP doesn't have the puck be side when your taking the puck away from someone that means u lost it.

The 2015 draft killed us because of the Reinhardt trade and the 2016 draft could nuke us because the player that was a consensus pick might not be what everyone (other than Columbus) thought he would be. And you have to think Columbus's gm did his serious homework.

Reactions: frag2

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I was soso excited when he fell to the Oilers but honestly I don't think the Oilers should draft euro players anymore in the first round.

• The skip by the Finnish gm
  • The pretty much snub by the National team because he was benched the entire time or healthy scratched
  • The constant offsides and throwing the puck away
  • Instead of going to open space he seems to go to the puck and crowd the luck carrier
  • His overall lack of shooting or getting into position to shoot.
  • After these past 2 years I hate to go to the side that maybe he just doesn't have it but I think we are there. I see a serious lack of hockey sense in the fast paced game of the NHL. Hitch loves his stick but only when JP doesn't have the puck be side when your taking the puck away from someone that means u lost it.

The 2015 draft killed us because of the Reinhardt trade and the 2016 draft could nuke us because the player that was a consensus pick might not be what everyone (other than Columbus) thought he would be. And you have to think Columbus's gm did his serious homework.

Yep, those two drafts combined with the Hall out/Lucic in master trade totally gutted us. You don't have the luxury of all three of those mistakes. You could even maaaaybe have gotten away with 2/3 dumb mistakes, but not 3/3.

Reactions: frag2

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Serious question. Could we send this kid home for a season next year so he fills out physically and learns the bloody language? If Kurri's in his ear all year and he's learning the game in an environment that he's comfortable, maybe he comes back a year later with something more.

The kid is such an enigma. Top five talent and he's still a lumbering teenager three years after his draft.

Odds are he's traded in the coming weeks, but in the off chance we decide to keep him, maybe that's a better option for him instead of risking the waiver wire next season.

FYI, he scored as I'm writing this.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Nice goal. looking more like these are the type he's going to have to make a living banging home. He lacks coordination so he's not ever going to be any Ryan Smyth around the net but he's hard to remove and he's obstinate enough he creates good chaos around the net.

Strange play. both defenders tried to move him out instead of tying up his stick. Usually I like D to take the body but didn't work on this one.

Reactions: Oilhawks

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Maybe it needs a new battery?

We thought we drafted a
rolex-5100-z.jpg

What we got so far is...
7e0667ee088aaa3623f537d0f15b9137.jpg

Cam98

Jun 24, 2009
Nice goal. looking more like these are the type he's going to have to make a living banging home. He lacks coordination so he's not ever going to be any Ryan Smyth around the net but he's hard to remove and he's obstinate enough he creates good chaos around the net.

Strange play. both defenders tried to move him out instead of tying up his stick. Usually I like D to take the body but didn't work on this one.

he lacks coordination because he hasn't filled into his body yet. He probably wont fill in for another 1-2 years then once that happens he will take sometime to adjust to it and coordination should improve like with Rantanen. He looked like Bambi on skates before he filled out and improved in AHL.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
Lol man. In training camp it looked like he was ready to take this season by storm. Was carrying the puck with such speed and authority, making plays. Then when the season starts he's back to his timid self. Seems like he 2nd guesses everything he does and gets down on himself after an error.

Reactions: Panda Bear

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

Yeah, these are the type of goals I want to see him score. I've said it before but this is in my mind the best way for Jesse to make himself useful as an NHLer. Use his size and reach around the net to score garbage goals or set up teammates. He probably doesn't like it since he's always been a skill player, but if he's gonna be an NHLer I think this is the role he has to adapt to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad