Jesse Puljujärvi

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
I don't really see PP as a power forward. He has surprisingly good anticipation for how a play is developing and with his stick handling and good wrister he is more of an opportunist. He can use his large frame to shield the puck but I wouldn't think of him as a power forward he's a big guy who seems to play more of a finesse game and I'm fine with that. I'm on board with getting him as a buy low candidate and seeing what he can turn into.

Moosetache

Jul 25, 2005
Raleigh, NC
EDM have no interest to let Jesse go with poor return, what with the sunken cost of 4OA pick and all, when there is the supposed potential up-side. Lucic, on the other hand, they are desperate to get rid of. Jesse makes sense to them as the price.

To others with no sunken cost, less so.
Then by all means EDM should hold onto the kid and ruin his life, great strategy.

Reactions: Svechhammer

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
we're not the most free-wheeling offensively explosive team so that kind of player carries a premium for us.

Which would dictate that you can afford to lose a little defense if it means you'll gain offensive firepower.

GoCanes2015

Oct 14, 2017
Seems like when healthy, Puli produces just about the same as McGinn, just a shade under. So it's about the team needs and what each one fills?

Reactions: Kaako Kappo

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Seems like when healthy, Puli produces just about the same as McGinn, just a shade under. So it's about the team needs and what each one fills?

No, it's about upside. McGinn has reached his. Puljujarvi has a lot more to give, in the right environment. I see a lot of Blake Wheeler in his game. Wheeler, a No. 5 overall pick, didn't score 25 in a season until he was 27.

Heck, look at Olli Jokinen's career. He got traded twice and had four sub-30-point seasons before he broke out with the Panthers in his age-24 season.

These guys were both big players, and sometimes, it just takes a little longer.

Last edited:

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Both of those guys were far more graceful than pp from the start.

McGinn maybe has peaked but his peak is still useful. If we are dead set against paying McGinn more than x, and he gets more than x in arbitration then sure I guess.

I’d still take McGinn and I think the hive loves the kid. I think they’re gonna pay him unless it’s really stupid.

I think they’d offer Charlotte guys/picks for pp. If he’s cheap and the expectation is maybe a third line winger then I’d try him. I don’t think I’d go past that. He’s a bust to me. It’s the skating and coordination. He’s a gangly, sloppy dude out there.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Both of those guys were far more graceful than pp from the start.

McGinn maybe has peaked but his peak is still useful. If we are dead set against paying McGinn more than x, and he gets more than x in arbitration then sure I guess.

I’d still take McGinn and I think the hive loves the kid. I think they’re gonna pay him unless it’s really stupid.

I think they’d offer Charlotte guys/picks for pp. If he’s cheap and the expectation is maybe a third line winger then I’d try him. I don’t think I’d go past that. He’s a bust to me. It’s the skating and coordination. He’s a gangly, sloppy dude out there.

We're both old, so I know you saw Olli Jokinen in those early years with L.A. and the Islanders. *Nobody* will ever be that gangly and sloppy. As a matter of fact, that comparison is really spot-on, if I must say so myself. *Two teams* gave up on Jokinen by the time he was 21 (i.e. the same age Puljujarvi is now). He went on to have a career virtually indistinguishable from Peter Mahovolich.

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
Köln, Helsinki, Lappeenranta
Jesse Puljujärvi is a not so good at hockey.
He drived juniors with his power.

Saddly Jesse has low iq, positioning in attack one is just horrible.
He shoots BADDLY.
He fumbles pucks even in straight skating with no pressure on him.
He lacks will to fight for his spot.
He sucks in boardplays.

Yeah.
Sure if Edmonton trade him for pucks it would be ok, but Jesse has just to many flaws.

Reactions: jaalru

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
We're both old, so I know you saw Olli Jokinen in those early years with L.A. and the Islanders. *Nobody* will ever be that gangly and sloppy. As a matter of fact, that comparison is really spot-on, if I must say so myself. *Two teams* gave up on Jokinen by the time he was 21 (i.e. the same age Puljujarvi is now). He went on to have a career virtually indistinguishable from Peter Mahovolich.
I think only you would say so yourself, that PP and Jokinen are good comparisons. I’m not saying Ollie was a good skater by any stretch but PP is much worse to me. Not to mention the key difference between then and now is the need to be a good skater before pretty much anything else. PP probably would’ve been great back then.

Also, the Kings certainly didn’t give up on him. They got Palffy and Smolinski for him! Palffy was their best player at the time. What the Isles did with the next trade is mind bottling, and no trade committed by the Islanders in that phase should count for or against any of the players involved.

I do agree that we’re old.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Which would dictate that you can afford to lose a little defense if it means you'll gain offensive firepower.

But what if we gain no offense (since McGinn and Pulju produce about the same) and lose defense?

Or even more possibly, Pulju produces less offense, because playing with RNH is quite a bit more preferable than playing with Lucas Wallmark (not a dig on Wallmark, I like him, he has upside, etc)

stonec

Nov 21, 2011
It's true that Pulju might not be the sharpest tool in the toolbox but his English skills have improved and he's more ready for NHL/North America playstyle and lifestyle than before. I truly think he would fit the mould of Canes buylow candidates as there is still the potential upside of a top 6 powerforward.

The problem is that this description of Pulju was the same a year and even two years ago, nothing has changed. If it was about English and getting more "ready" for NHL, the improvement should have been seen already last year. He is currently no top six power forward, not even close. Edmonton has probably the weakest winger depth in the entire NHL and yet Pulju didn't manage to lock a top six position there.

The Jokinen turn-around was fascinating, but it was something you probably see once in a million times. Jokinen has later described the process in detail in a blog post and it was basically only possible because a crazy dude called Mike Keenan decided to make Jokinen his personal project. Keenan was more or less constantly busting his ass and oversaw all of his training on and off the ice in order to coach him into a leader and finally made him captain. The rest was history of course, but these days players are expected to manage to independently train.

Reactions: Kaako Kappo

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
Köln, Helsinki, Lappeenranta
No, it's about upside. McGinn has reached his. Puljujarvi has a lot more to give, in the right environment. I see a lot of Blake Wheeler in his game. Wheeler, a No. 5 overall pick, didn't score 25 in a season until he was 27.

Heck, look at Olli Jokinen's career. He got traded twice and had four sub-30-point seasons before he broke out with the Panthers in his age-24 season.

These guys were both big players, and sometimes, it just takes a little longer.
Yeah. Wheeler just made like 45 points at first season but did not score 25.
Wheeler has newer been totally Lost In ice like Puljujärvi.

Olli Jokinen at least dominate Finnish Liiga as a kid. Olli was never a stupid player, his ego grew way to fast as kid star and training was not an option. But he had the smarts there in his game .
Jesse does not.

If Jesse gets will to work in dirty areas he might be another Pääjärvi. Though it seem Jesse is not to mutch interested in boardplays.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad