Jesse Puljujärvi

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Puljujarvi has 5 points in 13 games. A 31.5 point pace over 82 games.

Your proposal would therefore encumber both of the Canes 2021 1st and 2nd round picks while they only would end up paying a 2022 2nd on the condition. Which is pretty terrible asset management, if you give it proper thought. But that is already what most here said about your offer.

And I'm rooting for Puljujarvi. I'm just not sure putting up a 30 point pace playing on the PP1 and 5v5 time with McDavid means that he has arrived.
On which note, let's spend a moment laughing at the Marleau trade encumbering two TOR 1sts. Though it's probably good for TOR that another one of them was in forced safekeeping.

We got a Seth Jarvis with the TOR pick, btw.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Puljujarvi has 5 points in 13 games. A 31.5 point pace over 82 games.

Your proposal would therefore encumber both of the Canes 2021 1st and 2nd round picks while they only would end up paying a 2022 2nd on the condition. Which is pretty terrible asset management, if you give it proper thought. But that is already what most here said about your offer.

And I'm rooting for Puljujarvi. I'm just not sure putting up a 30 point pace playing on the PP1 and 5v5 time with McDavid means that he has arrived.
Especially weird brag because I don't think most teams would look at paying a 1st or 2nd for a 30 pt player as a "win"...MAYBE a 3rd?

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Just saying.. my proposal that lot of you guys shot down without actually giving it a proper thought doesn't look that bad anymore . Jesse has looked phenomenal last couple of games and I doubt he would be available for a 1st rounder any longer.
I’ve watched your games. He doesn’t look like anything more than a third liner, which is what he looked like then. He certainly did look amazing last night, with 97 sliding him the perfect pass....

He squandered all the other chances 97 set him up for of course.....but who’s counting?

Zero regrets. I was someone that would’ve taken a chance on him if he was basically free, before we signed Fast I could’ve seen him on the third line for us. I wouldn’t have traded you anything of value to get him though. Still wouldn’t.

Last edited:

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Oilers played it smartly with Pulju, because they knew that the reason he wanted to be traded was because he thought that Edmonton was going to stay a dumpster fire. When McDrai carried the team like a donkey mule to the playoffs afterwards, Pulju decided to come back. Good for them, even though they're still dumpster-adjacent, at least with no McDrai.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Oilers played it smartly with Pulju, because they knew that the reason he wanted to be traded was because he thought that Edmonton was going to stay a dumpster fire. When McDrai carried the team like a donkey mule to the playoffs afterwards, Pulju decided to come back. Good for them, even though they're still dumpster-adjacent, at least with no McDrai.
I wonder why they haven't been able to build a team like the Pens did with Crosby/Malkin. Is it all down to wagering on the wrong goaltenders and not getting enough offense from the backend?

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I wonder why they haven't been able to build a team like the Pens did with Crosby/Malkin. Is it all down to wagering on the wrong goaltenders and not getting enough offense from the backend?
It's because they drafted like shit outside the first round and can't add quality UFAs. For all that's (rightly) made of Pittsburgh drafting 5th, 2nd x2, and 1st x2 in a 5 year stretch they also added quality depth behind these picks in the 2nd on. Letang, Goligoski, Bortuzzo, Kennedy, Moulson, Talbot, Christensen just from that same 5 year stretch.

Edmonton? No such similar success, the best they've drafted are a guy known for his time in Arizona in Reider and a guy that was traded for basically nothing to Pittsburgh in Marino. If you can't do any better on players for your team than quad A players outside the first round and you can't supplement your team in free agency even picking #1 year after year (like Edmonton did) will get you nowhere.

For reference here's the guys we drafted beyond the first during a similar length stretch in our decade of darkness:
Andersen, Rask, McGinn, Foegele, Wallmark, Roy, Geekie, Faulk, Pesce, Slavin, and Aho.

A guy like Phil Di Giuseppe doesn't even sniff our list... For Edmonton during their struggles he would have been one of their 5 best non first round picks. That level of failure in scouting and development should get people fired... Out of a cannon... Into the sun

Last edited:

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
They were having some cap problems too. It’s slowly improving and I think Holland will do well as it continues to do so but they’ve been limited in what they can do to improve themselves.

Reactions: DaveG

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
The Oilers remind me a lot of the Chicago Bulls, once a dynasty but those days are over, yet they're still living off those days.

Reactions: DaveG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad