Jesse Puljujärvi

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
02b.gif

HardSillyLadybug-size_restricted.gif

Welp, that's it for me. Pulju is actually the next Olli Jokinen. Get on the phone, Donny.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
The Jokinen turn-around was fascinating, but it was something you probably see once in a million times. Jokinen has later described the process in detail in a blog post and it was basically only possible because a crazy dude called Mike Keenan decided to make Jokinen his personal project. Keenan was more or less constantly busting his ass and oversaw all of his training on and off the ice in order to coach him into a leader and finally made him captain. The rest was history of course, but these days players are expected to manage to independently train.

Joonas Donskoi. Talented as heck, but needed Karpat coach Marjamaki to take him by hand and show him what it takes to be a top athlete all the way to by going to the grocery store with him to show what he should eat and can't eat.

Now signed 4 x 3.9M with the Avs.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Joonas Donskoi. Talented as heck, but needed Karpat coach Marjamaki to take him by hand and show him what it takes to be a top athlete all the way to by going to the grocery store with him to show what he should eat and can't eat.

Now signed 4 x 3.9M with the Avs.
Is Marjamaki the Finnish Brind'Amour, because that's what your description sounds like.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Is Marjamaki the Finnish Brind'Amour, because that's what your description sounds like.
He's... not. He was a wonder kid in Oulu, but after that his tenure as the NT coach bombed hard and early as can be witnessed from the Finn comments on HF International.

But maybe it was the ill timed World Cup with the NHL obviously insisting that all the staff too have NHL-pedigree names, and you have to deal with the 3000 NHL games gang at your newbie year.

Last edited:

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
He's... not. He was a wonder kid in Oulu, but after that his tenure as the NT coach bombed hard and early as can be witnessed from the Finn comments on HF International.

But maybe it was the ill timed World Cup with the NHL obviously insisting that all the staff too have NHL-pedigree names, and you have to deal with the 3000 NHL games gang at your newbie year.
Yep, I remember reading lots of mostly negative comments on him dating back to a few years ago, but it's just so hard to know how legit they are without extensively watching the teams he coached. But just from the description of your original post, he sounded like Brindy before Brindy had all of his responsibilities here.

Reactions: Lempo

Mildan

Jan 7, 2019
I think we should revisit this. His preseason in Finland has been nothing short of phenomenal.

He has scored 28 points in 15 games (12+16) and he looks like he has gotten his confidence back and he is smiling a lot!

I suggested in the Oilers forum a conditional trade where a team would offer a 2020 2nd rounder for him and if he scores 40 points upcoming season a second rounder 2021 and if 60 points 1st rounder 2021.

Additionally this was an interesting read:
Jesse Puljujarvi is the Star the Edmonton Oilers Forgot

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
I think we should revisit this. His preseason in Finland has been nothing short of phenomenal.

He has scored 28 points in 15 games (12+16) and he looks like he has gotten his confidence back and he is smiling a lot!

I suggested in the Oilers forum a conditional trade where a team would offer a 2020 2nd rounder for him and if he scores 40 points upcoming season a second rounder 2021 and if 60 points 1st rounder 2021.

If he doesn't want to sign with Edmonton and they're trading RFA rights he's not going to hold that kind of value...additionally I don't think you should put that many conditions on the pick. He's still a crapshoot for the NHL. No 1st rounder should be involved.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017

no performance conditional picks anymore. They were made illegal in the last CBA.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
no performance conditional picks anymore. They were made illegal in the last CBA.

I think the CBA only outlawed conditional picks on signing, not conditional picks on number of games or other playing metrics.

In regards to this deal, there would need to be a conditional pick heading back to Carolina if Puljujarvi bombs out or doesn't play in the US at all to balance out the additional conditional picks being risked. Otherwise, just a 2nd for Puljujarvi is fair.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I think the CBA only outlawed conditional picks on signing, not conditional picks on number of games or other playing metrics.

In regards to this deal, there would need to be a conditional pick heading back to Carolina if Puljujarvi bombs out or doesn't play in the US at all to balance out the additional conditional picks being risked. Otherwise, just a 2nd for Puljujarvi is fair.
thanks for the clarification

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014

65. Trade Conditions Making it More Onerous for an Acquiring Club to Re-Sign a Player

Clubs shall not be permitted to include as a condition in the Trade of a Player (“Traded Player”) from one Club (“Trading Club”) to another Club (“Acquiring Club”), a modification to the compensation exchanged between the Trading Club and the Acquiring Club, either in the event: (i) that a Club signs the Traded Player to an NHL SPC, or (ii) of the subsequent Assignment of the Traded Player by the Acquiring Club. The restriction in (i) shall only be applicable when the Traded Player has a current or future NHL SPC at the time of the Trade.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
65. Trade Conditions Making it More Onerous for an Acquiring Club to Re-Sign a Player

Clubs shall not be permitted to include as a condition in the Trade of a Player (“Traded Player”) from one Club (“Trading Club”) to another Club (“Acquiring Club”), a modification to the compensation exchanged between the Trading Club and the Acquiring Club, either in the event: (i) that a Club signs the Traded Player to an NHL SPC, or (ii) of the subsequent Assignment of the Traded Player by the Acquiring Club. The restriction in (i) shall only be applicable when the Traded Player has a current or future NHL SPC at the time of the Trade.

Thanks, Lempo. If I am reading that right, you could still trade an RFA holdout (traded player who has no NHL SPC) with conditions on them signing?

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Thanks, Lempo. If I am reading that right, you could still trade an RFA holdout (traded player who has no NHL SPC) with conditions on them signing?
Yes, or any unsigned player really.

Mildan

Jan 7, 2019
If he doesn't want to sign with Edmonton and they're trading RFA rights he's not going to hold that kind of value...additionally I don't think you should put that many conditions on the pick. He's still a crapshoot for the NHL. No 1st rounder should be involved.
I don't get that logic. in my eyes him being a crapshoot is the exact reason, why we would add more conditions. Why shouldn't a first rounder be involved for a 60 point player? Are you worried about Car being tied from using both 2nd and a 1st at trade deadline?

edit: removed double quote and corrected 3rd = 1st

Last edited:

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I don't get that logic. in my eyes him being a crapshoot is the exact reason, why we would add more conditions. Why shouldn't a first rounder be involved for a 60 point player? Are you worried about Car being tied from using both 2nd and a 3rd at trade deadline?

In what universe is Puljujarvi a 60pt NHL player?
Even with the Oilers’ atrocious depth, hecouldn’t hold down a 3rd line spot.

He’s still got potential, but there’s absolutely no way any sane NHL team gives up more than a middling prospect or the equivalent of a 2nd/3rd pick for his rights.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
I don't get that logic. in my eyes him being a crapshoot is the exact reason, why we would add more conditions. Why shouldn't a first rounder be involved for a 60 point player? Are you worried about Car being tied from using both 2nd and a 3rd at trade deadline?
How often do you see conditional picks thrown in based on player performance (other than games played)? I'm not even sure that's a thing. If that's the case maybe it should only be a 7th round pick to start and escalate from there

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

I believe the primary problem with conditional picks like that would be that it would encumber the picks until the condition clears. It seems reasonable to pay a higher pick if Puljujarvi hits 60 points. But if the Canes can't deal their 2021 2nd or 1st round pick at the deadline for a rental because it hangs on a Puljujarvi deal while he is still sitting at ~20 points then that is a problem.

I think there is some swap to be made with Edmonton. Maybe Reimer + C prospect or so. Maybe a B prospect straight up. I like that gamble.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->