Jesse Puljujärvi

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Another relatively uninformed take by a Finn. Here we go.

First of all, if I remember correctly for some time Edmonton saw Pulju as a get-out-of-jail-card for the Lucic contract. When no team took a bite they changed their expectations for the return to a 3rd liner + futures. I believe the demand for LA Kings to also take Lucic contract is based on having the same conference/division as Pulju still has potentially high upside and Oilers don't want to risk it materialising. At this stage the relationship between Edmonton and Pulju is beyond repair so the realistic options for him are Liiga Kärpät, KHL Jokerit (not sure) and trade to another franchise.

Some random ramblings next. During last offseason's training games Pulju played with confidence and Oilers board was high on him reaching his draft expectations. During the regular season he had the pleasure of playing with boat anchor Lucic in bottm six vs playing with Strome (they were friends/clicked) or RNH. Additionally, it's also a possibility something went wrong in the locker room. He was close with Pakarinen and other random Finns (Jokinen) but might not have clicked with the others. As an example, there's a viral video where random Edmonton hockey fan gives him a ride from the training rink to his home. If he was belowed in the room other teammates would absolutely have offered him a ride. It seems like he didn't click with others outside of his Finnish buddies.

It's true that Pulju might not be the sharpest tool in the toolbox but his English skills have improved and he's more ready for NHL/North America playstyle and lifestyle than before. I truly think he would fit the mould of Canes buylow candidates as there is still the potential upside of a top 6 powerforward.

I believe if the price is McGinn + midround pick / C-tier prospect Canes should gamble on the upside as long as Aho is on the board with the decision. He has his flaws but strong Finnish precence, RBA and lowered expectations could revive his career. The question is do the Canes want to pay the price (McGinn) and use a roster spot (waiver eligibility) when they could have Gauthier, Kuokkanen, Geekie for the roster spot.
I would possibly trade McGinn RFA rights for him in hopes he rebounds, but he's fringing on bust territory so there should be nothing else tagged on (even a mid-life end pick/prospect). At the moment he's somewhere between AHLer+ and top 6 winger...that doesn't deserve an established NHLer+. If Edmonton doesn't like that (or wants to tag on Lucic), they let him walk and he signs/plays in Europe. Kinda like Nichuskin 2.0 scenario.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Put simply, the Oilers just never put this guy in a position to be himself as a player.
And this is why I'm willing to get him here. We're not a team that asks anyone to park it in front of the net, we butter our break on speed and cycling you to death. This kid from his non-Edmonton highlights is someone who has the skillset to come in and fit right in from the start. If he hasn't been completely ruined by his time in Edmonton, and I don't think he's been there long enough for them to ruin him, we absolutely should go for it.

The potential of him regaining his form when allowed to be himself on a team like this is too much to pass up. The more you look into it, the more it appears this is more likely to be a Hall 2.0 situation where he explodes on another team than Yakupov 2.0 where he's a complete flameout. As long as they're not asking the world (and taking on Lucic is asking the world) he's someone we should be pursuing.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Whatever is being thought of to throw at him for us to take, Id rather pay more in draft picks to Vegas for Gusev.

JP will likely be able to picked up on Waivers, or goes to the KHL. In that case, if he proves something in the KHL, I’d wait till he’s out of the control of Edmonton and let Aho talk him into coming here.

IMO, Gusev is *much* more of a risk to return to the KHL -- virtually at the drop of a hat -- than Pulju is to leave for Karpat. And even if Pulju were to leave for a season, it's still likely he comes back. Gusev could leave in a week and never be heard from again.

And I guess we seem to have found a line for Pulju in McGinn. Half of us would do that, half wouldn't. I guess I'm disappointed that's where we've ended up. Pulju's upside is just as high as Gusev's in my opinion. He's got top six upside, still. Hell, he's seven months younger than Julien Gauthier from the same draft, who has yet to step foot in the NHL, and we still think that guy can score 25.

I don't want to take on Lucic's contract. I wouldn't take on Lucic's contract. But the gang who wouldn't trade McGinn for Puljujarvi are just missing the larger point, here, that this could be a top six guy available for peanuts. I honestly don't think we're talking about Nail Yakupov, here.

CanesFanBudMan

Borg member
Jun 14, 2016
IMO, Gusev is *much* more of a risk to return to the KHL -- virtually at the drop of a hat -- than Pulju is to leave for Karpat. And even if Pulju were to leave for a season, it's still likely he comes back. Gusev could leave in a week and never be heard from again.

And I guess we seem to have found a line for Pulju in McGinn. Half of us would do that, half wouldn't. I guess I'm disappointed that's where we've ended up. Pulju's upside is just as high as Gusev's in my opinion. He's got top six upside, still. Hell, he's seven months younger than Julien Gauthier from the same draft, who has yet to step foot in the NHL, and we still think that guy can score 25.

I don't want to take on Lucic's contract. I wouldn't take on Lucic's contract. But the gang who wouldn't trade McGinn for Puljujarvi are just missing the larger point, here, that this could be a top six guy available for peanuts. I honestly don't think we're talking about Nail Yakupov, here.
I imagine any trade a team would make for Gusev would have heavily conditional assets.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

backwards motion

Sep 29, 2017
Too much reading for me now, but I'll give my 2 cents since that's not that much.

Jesse has had and has tools to work. If Carolina can get him almost free, it's a money shot. I don't think there's much market value for him that could be possible.

As for being with out a good it, it has seemed that bouncing him pack and forth AHL and the BENCH of NHL. He's been a super motivated trainer. Sure there might be some language issues, but not as much as he has been... just misusedment. He's physical, fast, has the shot, but never really given the change with playing time. Sure, he hasn't proven himself at this level, but if the contract would be cheap. It wouldn't be a risk. Give him short time term with right amount, maybe he'll bounce back way better than thought. I was watching some of even play in oilers and he's got some potential to be something he's not right now.

And he's still young. And he'd feel at home without being mistreated with this... ahem, Finland team.

He is gifted, even if it doesn't show. What's he worth? That I can't put my hand into. Just saying, if he would be here with reasonable expectations and friendly attitude with the group and the staff. I would jump on it, not just because he's a Finn. I'd be like he's way to show that being physical and right role, he could make an impact.

I'm not here to force anyones mind, but that's what I think if he's signed with a reasonably cheap contract.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Bad at drafting (Yakupov, Paajarvi): check
Bad at development (Puljujarvi, Gagner): check
Bad at trading (Hall, Eberle): check

Yakupov wasn't a bad pick. Fantastic hockey player but the Oil ruined him. Sad story.
I'm not sure how good this Pulju guy really is though. They ruined his development, too but I also doubt that he's the elite talent everyone thought he'd be at the draft. Hasn't shown too much until now.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Yakupov wasn't a bad pick. Fantastic hockey player but the Oil ruined him. Sad story.
I'm not sure how good this Pulju guy really is though. They ruined his development, too but I also doubt that he's the elite talent everyone thought he'd be at the draft. Hasn't shown too much until now.
It was noted pre-draft that he was raw talent. After the WJC Aho and Laine were taken to the WHC, but Jesse went to U18. He would've needed active development in his first year, not EDM pressbox.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Can we not absorb Lucic's contract and have him roll around on the 4th line brutalizing people if we got Poolparty and him for nothing?

It’s notnjust absorbing the contract, although $6M next year is a lot to absorb on a 4th line with Marleau and Aho’s new contract. Then 4M, 5M, 4M. Lucic also has a bonus every year so it’s partially buyout proof.

Most importantly, with a NMC Lucic cannot be exposed for the expansion draft. That will be a valuable slot when it comes time and one that cannot be wasted on Lucic.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I totally think that Dundon and Waddell are the kind of guys that will easily take a flyer on Pulju if the price is right (i.e. without Lucic). He's exactly the sort of untapped talent that somebody can and should swing the fences for. He could explode or he could bust, and who knows, but say the price is only Brock McGinn and a long-shot prospect. They should totally give him a shot if that's the case, because he's a potentially very good right shot with attributes that you can't teach, such as being 6'4" and 215 lbs.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I wouldn’t mind Puljujarvi but I’m not giving up anything of value to get him when there’s a very good chance he’s not good enough to play while having to go on waivers to go to the AHL where someone will take him for free. McGinn might not have Pulju’s potential but at least he’s a proven NHLer.

Reactions: Cardiac Jerks

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
I wouldn’t mind Puljujarvi but I’m not giving up anything of value to get him when there’s a very good chance he’s not good enough to play while having to go on waivers to go to the AHL where someone will take him for free. McGinn might not have Pulju’s potential but at least he’s a proven NHLer.

Aren't we going high-risk, high-reward from now on? Boom-or-bust? We know what McGinn is. Honestly, I have a hard time believing that if we plugged Puljujarvi into McGinn's ice time, that McGinn would outproduce Pulju. And the chance that he totally breaks out makes it an even easier call.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Honestly, I have a hard time believing that if we plugged Puljujarvi into McGinn's ice time, that McGinn would outproduce Pulju.

McGinn's career ATOI is 13:33, and he is a regular PKer for the last 3 seasons. Pulju's career ATOI is 12:28 and as far as I can tell he he has never PKed. So that's about even. Pulju gets 40 seconds of PP time per game career; McGinn gets 14 seconds.

Quality of linemates: Pulju's most common linemates appear to be RNH and Strome, whereas McGinn's most common linemates are Wallmark and Martinook.

Age/experience: Pulju is 21 and has 139 NHL games played over 3 seasons. McGinn is 25 and has 240 games played over 4 seasons.

Production: McGinn averages 26 points per 82 games and is a go-to PKer and I think most people here would say he's a decent defensive forward at worst. Pulju averages 22 points a game, does not PK and I'll leave the judgement on his defense to somebody else, but I'm going to make an educated guess and say defense is probably not the strongest part of his game.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Looking at the above, if I have to give up McGinn in order to get Puljujarvi, I'm not sure that's a very good move.

I suppose what you have to ask yourself is, if you lost McGinn and Puljujarvi was a total bust, can you replace McGinn's role on the team with somebody else already in the system. I'm not sure we have a ready-made replacement for gritty bottom 6er who can hit everything in sight, be a good PKer and also score 25-30 points. And we're not the most free-wheeling offensively explosive team so that kind of player carries a premium for us.

And as much as I'd like to ignore intangibles, because by definition they are subjective, it's hard to ignore McGinn was just now the guy who sold out to stop a puck from going in the net late in a game 7, and then scored the game winner in that same game. He might just have that in his DNA, he could be Justin Williams' Mini-Me. Would suck to trade a guy like that on a reclamation project that didn't work out.

Now, if we can get Pulju for say, a 2nd round pick, or a prospect like McKeown, go for it. Otherwise I don't think the risk is worth it.

Feb 24, 2017
Puljujarvi is a stupid idiot of a hockey player. His physical gifts and association with studs Laine and Aho and gifted coat-tailer Juolevi got Puljujarvi way overrated.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad