Jesse Puljujärvi

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
I thought I'd do some of my own research instead of blindly piggybacking on the many narratives going around regarding this guy. It didn't take long for me to pick a side, either. I think we should get this guy.

To start, I watched two videos. The first was his Liiga highlights from 2015-16, where he had 13g, 15a, 28pts in 50 games. I was expecting to see a lot of Sebastian Aho. And I did, but nowhere near as much as I was led to believe. Puljujärvi has a rap of being a product of his linemates, especially considering the dominant WJC tournament the same season where he and Aho were joined by Patrik Laine. But he was *extremely* big, strong, confident, fast, creative and dominant in this video. All on his own. You could have removed all the Aho-related plays and I'd still have said this guy was a top-5 NHL draft pick.

Then I watched this video, all of Puljujärvi's NHL goals, and I quickly noticed several things. No. 1, I noticed a lot of Milan Lucic and Jujhar Khaira. Secondly, I noticed a guy who was clearly coached to go to the front of the net and stay there, despite there being nothing in his history that limits him to this type role. Put simply, the Oilers just never put this guy in a position to be himself as a player.

I get there are other factors at play here. He doesn't seem comfortable in North America, doesn't speak a lot of English, and he looks like he needs a custom helmet. He may still be a little miffed that he got passed over by Columbus in the 2016 draft.

But if you break it all down, we're talking about a 21-year-old, 6-foot-4, 200 pound, right shot, right winger with a great shot, who skates well, can be used in all situations, doesn't mind throwing a hit or mixing it up, and gives 100 percent effort all the time with a great attitude, which I'm not sure I could manage in Edmonton's current hellscape.

If there's one real criticism of his game, it's that he hasn't really put the "power" part into his power-winger profile. But we all know that comes later. These guys are notorious late bloomers. I'm 100 percent sold that we will win the trade, no matter what we give up for him, given his current value. And -- and this is important -- I don't think he needs to play with Aho to be successful. I think he'd fill a third-line role with Haula and Martinook, for example, very nicely while his game rounds into shape. I think being *in the room* with Aho, Teravainen, Haula and the vast majority of the Finnish under-25 program will help, but I don't think he requires Finnish linemates. Not from what I saw.

Also, he was born in Sweden. Is this common knowledge? I'm not sure I knew that.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
If it's a low risk thing where we're getting him for a draft pick or picks (no 1sts) or a prospect (Not Necas, Bean, Gauthier, Kuokkanen or Ned) I'm OK with taking a chance on him.

But I'd want to know more about why he's so unhappy there, why he feels he can't be productive there. Unless there's a damn good reason, it just looks like he got to the NHL and it was too hard for him, but instead of admitting that and working harder he just blamed the team for his problems.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I've said it before, I believe we could sit Aho down and get his take and that likely would give us all the information we need. There is no doubt JP is endowed with physical traits we'd want and a skill set we could absolutely use, but if he's got issues thinking the game or attitude problems (unwillingness to work), then he's not a good fit.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I've said it before, I believe we could sit Aho down and get his take and that likely would give us all the information we need. There is no doubt JP is endowed with physical traits we'd want and a skill set we could absolutely use, but if he's got issues thinking the game or attitude problems (unwillingness to work), then he's not a good fit.

“I think he should go to Montreal.”

:sarcasm:

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I really don't understand why the asking price is high for this kid. Yes he's high reward, but he's done nothing at the NHL level to make me want to give up a promising prospect. Guess you have to pay for that possible "high reward"

Agreed. It’s not that he’s not worth a flier, but how much do you give up knowing you either have to guarantee him a roster spot or expose him to waivers?

We all seem to agree taking on Lucic is a hard no. I’m not sure I’d deal McGinn for him either. Mid round pick or lower level prospect? I could agree with that.

Lempo

Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I really don't understand why the asking price is high for this kid. Yes he's high reward, but he's done nothing at the NHL level to make me want to give up a promising prospect. Guess you have to pay for that possible "high reward"

EDM have no interest to let Jesse go with poor return, what with the sunken cost of 4OA pick and all, when there is the supposed potential up-side. Lucic, on the other hand, they are desperate to get rid of. Jesse makes sense to them as the price.

To others with no sunken cost, less so.

Reactions: Unsustainable

jaalru

Sep 16, 2018
IF the cost is low picks/middling prospects
IF he signs <$1M contract
IF Aho and FO thinks it's worth it

THEN maybe.

This guy looked so much better as a prospect but has not shown that he can duplicate in NHL. As a prospect he is creating chances off rushes, as an NHL'er he is putting in rebounds and looks clunky.

Lempo

Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Whatever is being thought of to throw at him for us to take, Id rather pay more in draft picks to Vegas for Gusev.

JP will likely be able to picked up on Waivers, or goes to the KHL. In that case, if he proves something in the KHL, I’d wait till he’s out of the control of Edmonton and let Aho talk him into coming here.
He goes to Liiga and Karpat if he goes.

Also it will be 7 or so years before he's free of EDM, if they keep QO'ing him.

Muuri

Nov 14, 2009
Carolina would be a savior for Bulju and his career.
Aho can turn Bulju into 40 points winger. But would it be worth it though for the Canes? Someone better would score more playing with Aho and the team would win more.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Carolina would be a savior for Bulju and his career.
Aho can turn Bulju into 40 points winger. But would it be worth it though for the Canes? Someone better would score more playing with Aho and the team would win more.

“Bulju”?

or...

Reactions: Unsustainable

Helsinki Hurricanes

Sep 6, 2018
Another relatively uninformed take by a Finn. Here we go.

First of all, if I remember correctly for some time Edmonton saw Pulju as a get-out-of-jail-card for the Lucic contract. When no team took a bite they changed their expectations for the return to a 3rd liner + futures. I believe the demand for LA Kings to also take Lucic contract is based on having the same conference/division as Pulju still has potentially high upside and Oilers don't want to risk it materialising. At this stage the relationship between Edmonton and Pulju is beyond repair so the realistic options for him are Liiga Kärpät, KHL Jokerit (not sure) and trade to another franchise.

Some random ramblings next. During last offseason's training games Pulju played with confidence and Oilers board was high on him reaching his draft expectations. During the regular season he had the pleasure of playing with boat anchor Lucic in bottm six vs playing with Strome (they were friends/clicked) or RNH. Additionally, it's also a possibility something went wrong in the locker room. He was close with Pakarinen and other random Finns (Jokinen) but might not have clicked with the others. As an example, there's a viral video where random Edmonton hockey fan gives him a ride from the training rink to his home. If he was belowed in the room other teammates would absolutely have offered him a ride. It seems like he didn't click with others outside of his Finnish buddies.

It's true that Pulju might not be the sharpest tool in the toolbox but his English skills have improved and he's more ready for NHL/North America playstyle and lifestyle than before. I truly think he would fit the mould of Canes buylow candidates as there is still the potential upside of a top 6 powerforward.

I believe if the price is McGinn + midround pick / C-tier prospect Canes should gamble on the upside as long as Aho is on the board with the decision. He has his flaws but strong Finnish precence, RBA and lowered expectations could revive his career. The question is do the Canes want to pay the price (McGinn) and use a roster spot (waiver eligibility) when they could have Gauthier, Kuokkanen, Geekie for the roster spot.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Is he an RFA right now, according to Cap Friendly, it appears he is.

I mean I know Edmonton doesn't want to let him go for free, but if he has no intentions of playing there next year, and is prepared to head to Europe if he can't be freed, I'm wondering if we just wait this out if they'll be willing to deal with him and only him for a pick and middling prospect. Bundling him with Lucic is going to be a non-starter around the league, and they're only hurting themselves the longer this goes. He seems like the kind of kid who would actually benefit from an offer sheet. I'm not sure Edmonton would risk matching and being unable to move him for a year after the way this past season went. And compensation would at least not leave them completely high and dry.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->