Jesse Puljujärvi

Mildan

Jan 7, 2019
Til he proves otherwise against NHL competition, unequivocally yes. Any team that gives up a 1st for him will regret it, and I really don’t think any GM would be that stupid.
So you are saying that a team regrets giving a 1st rounder for 60+ point player? Cause in this scenario, that's the only situation where a 1st exchanges hands.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
So you are saying that a team regrets giving a 1st rounder for 60+ point player? Cause in this scenario, that's the only situation where a 1st exchanges hands.

What kind of circle-jerk logic are you trying to use here? This is a thread about Jesse Puljujarvi, not some hypothetical trade for a proven 60pt forward.

Reactions: DaveG and cptjeff

CanesFanBudMan

Borg member
Jun 14, 2016
Good thing have the conditional first coming when Edmondson scores 60

Mildan

Jan 7, 2019
What kind of circle-jerk logic are you trying to use here? This is a thread about Jesse Puljujarvi, not some hypothetical trade for a proven 60pt forward.
Your point was that any GM giving a first for JP, would regret it, so it was worth pointing out that no one has recently suggested giving a first for him unless he proves himself, hence the conditional trade suggestion.

Additionally, unless you can predict the future, you can't say for sure that they would regret it as you did. It is very much possible that JP will turn things around and be well worth 1st rounder, but I'm not going to make that soumd like a claim, I'm just optimistic about his current progression translating well to NHL ice.

CanesFanBudMan

Borg member
Jun 14, 2016
Your point was that any GM giving a first for JP, would regret it, so it was worth pointing out that no one has recently suggested giving a first for him unless he proves himself, hence the conditional trade suggestion.

Additionally, unless you can predict the future, you can't say for sure that they would regret it as you did. It is very much possible that JP will turn things around and be well worth 1st rounder, but I'm not going to make that soumd like a claim, I'm just optimistic about his current progression translating well to NHL ice.
There is still a value of tying up that first round pick for the year as it eliminates the chance to use it on a deadline acquisition. I guess any AHL NHL tweeter could become a 60 point player. Why do they not all have contingent 1sts attached?

Reactions: cptjeff

Mildan

Jan 7, 2019
There is still a value of tying up that first round pick for the year as it eliminates the chance to use it on a deadline acquisition. I guess any AHL NHL tweeter could become a 60 point player. Why do they not all have contingent 1sts attached?
I agree with it being a burden tying up a 1st rounder for a year and you only do it if you feel it is worth the risk. Random AHL player is unlikely to be worth the burden, but JP still has huge potential and seems to be showing signs of cashing in and therefore I feel it would be worth the risk of not being able to trade that first for before. season ends. After all, it's not that often Car moves their first on a deadline.

CanesFanBudMan

Borg member
Jun 14, 2016
I agree with it being a burden tying up a 1st rounder for a year and you only do it if you feel it is worth the risk. Random AHL player is unlikely to be worth the burden, but JP still has huge potential and seems to be showing signs of cashing in and therefore I feel it would be worth the risk of not being able to trade that first for before. season ends. After all, it's not that often Car moves their first on a deadline.
Look at the Yakupov trade and subtract value

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I’d rather send our first next year for Keumper this offseason rather than use it on Puljujarvi.
While I agree with that statement I prefer we keep both. When jr sold off assets that good to help us win the cup the ends justified the means and it’s
important to note we were one of the best teams in the league that year.

This team barely made the playoffs. That’s not a team that should be trading away first rounders in the off season to get us “over the hump”. If that’s what we need we’re just not good enough yet. One player even at a position like goalie is unlikely to tip that balance. It’s fair to say we’re short a couple of players.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
tenor.gif

In what universe is Puljujarvi a 60pt NHL player?
Even with the Oilers’ atrocious depth, hecouldn’t hold down a 3rd line spot.

He’s still got potential, but there’s absolutely no way any sane NHL team gives up more than a middling prospect or the equivalent of a 2nd/3rd pick for his rights.

Oilers fan here. A couple things for context: I'd agree with you guys if it was just the Liiga preseason, but he was also 4th in Liiga scoring last year in the regular season. Advanced stats-wise he blew everyone else out of the water. He obviously still has to prove that he can keep up that level of play in the NHL, but you can definitely see how his confidence and playstyle have changed ever since moving back to Finland. The Oilers rushed him into the NHL and misused him, but I think there is a potential quality player there.

In terms of trade, there have been multiple rumours that Pulju and the Oilers are close to a deal. If they can't come to one, my guess is that Puljujarvi get's traded to recoup picks lost from the AA trade. Maybe a 2nd + or potentially (hopefully haha) a late 1st. If he ends up getting shopped, my guess is Carolina could definitely be a partner.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I think JP is a gangly goofy looking (as a skater) mess with enough raw skills to pull plays off and to make you hope there’s something more there. That’s the key word though....raw. You need a lot of hope to see that turning into a consistently effective player in the top six.

More likely a third liner. Which is fine. I’m just not one to step in line to play top six prices to be the sucker to find that out. I’d you’re selling him at bottom six prices I’m sure someone (maybe even us) will give him a shot.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
JP isn’t close to a 2nd +. Sure isn’t even worth a late first. His play in Liiga means very little. High performing Euro league guys come over on ELCs and then do nothing here. They return on to their home league or KHL, never to be heard from again

Reactions: WreckingCrew

The Stranger

May 4, 2014
I understand JP underwhelmed and the relationship soured...but given EDM's needs, it would seem the most logical scenario is Holland breaks out the chapstick and smooths things over for another shot as opposed to moving him (unless some team is willing to pay a premium which I doubt).

JP did well last year...presumably got his confidence back and matured as a player...I think he will find a home along side McJesus or the big Kraut. New coach there now to with Tippett so it can be viewed as a fresh start for him.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I understand JP underwhelmed and the relationship soured...but given EDM's needs, it would seem the most logical scenario is Holland breaks out the chapstick and smooths things over for another shot as opposed to moving him (unless some team is willing to pay a premium which I doubt).

JP did well last year...presumably got his confidence back and matured as a player...I think he will find a home along side McJesus or the big Kraut. New coach there now to with Tippett so it can be viewed as a fresh start for him.

This. It makes no sense at all to me why Edmonton should trade him.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014

Yes. He was very "never to EDM!" when he returned to Finland, but since then he has warmed up a lot to the idea of returning to EDM in the reports.

Jesse Puljujärven tilanteessa merkittävä käänne – kiekkotähti keskusteli Edmonton Oilersin kanssa ja katkoo huhuilta siivet

July 2020 they had a long conference call to EDM with his agent. He specifically says different GM and head coach.

Mildan

Jan 7, 2019
I think we should revisit this. His preseason in Finland has been nothing short of phenomenal.

He has scored 28 points in 15 games (12+16) and he looks like he has gotten his confidence back and he is smiling a lot!

I suggested in the Oilers forum a conditional trade where a team would offer a 2020 2nd rounder for him and if he scores 40 points upcoming season a second rounder 2021 and if 60 points 1st rounder 2021.

Additionally this was an interesting read:
Jesse Puljujarvi is the Star the Edmonton Oilers Forgot
Just saying.. my proposal that lot of you guys shot down without actually giving it a proper thought doesn't look that bad anymore . Jesse has looked phenomenal last couple of games and I doubt he would be available for a 1st rounder any longer.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Just saying.. my proposal that lot of you guys shot down without actually giving it a proper thought doesn't look that bad anymore . Jesse has looked phenomenal last couple of games and I doubt he would be available for a 1st rounder any longer.

Puljujarvi has 5 points in 13 games. A 31.5 point pace over 82 games.

Your proposal would therefore encumber both of the Canes 2021 1st and 2nd round picks while they only would end up paying a 2022 2nd on the condition. Which is pretty terrible asset management, if you give it proper thought. But that is already what most here said about your offer.

And I'm rooting for Puljujarvi. I'm just not sure putting up a 30 point pace playing on the PP1 and 5v5 time with McDavid means that he has arrived.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
In a division with the worst defense and GA/Game in the league.

IIRC, I didn't comment either way on his original proposal as I hadn't followed the guy, but coming in with an "I told you so" after 2 good games isn't well thought out.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad