Player Discussion Jesse Puljujärvi pt 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Jesse Puljujärvi, 20, avautui umpisolmustaan Edmontonissa: ”Mulla on vähän niin kuin vanhan ihmisen lonkat”

Or rather;

When asked about his future in Edmonton, Jesse had this to say:

-We'll see. I think i'll play in the NHL next season. I want to play here. We'll fix my body and I'll take a roster spot next season. That's my goal.

Is Edmonton the team you want to play on next season?

-Well....yeah, it is.

He said that he has "Old people hips", some sort of a structural issue. It started to bother him this season & was painful. When it started to become an issue on ice the team decided to investigate.

Thanks for the translation. Hopefully he can get the most mileage out of his hips as possible for his career and that it doesn't affect his quality of life after his hockey career ends.

MikeGrier99

May 20, 2017
As I've said countless times now, the issue for Puljujarvi isn't that he's not a superstar. It's that he hasn't shown an ounce of improvement in any area in the 3 years since he's been drafted. He's as bad in year 3 as he was on day 1.

Reminds me of Cogliano, Gagner, Yakupov, MPS, and Schultz. All looked promising in their first years, none ever really took it beyond that initial level on the Oilers.

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
Stauffer just said on the pre-game show that Puljujarvi had surgery on *both* hips. And thank you Kaako Kappo for translating that.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Hips for a hockey player are money makers. JP said himself himself he has old man's hips meaning he might be arthritic. You can't
turn back time on arthritis it only progressively gets worse. Yes young people can suffer from arthritis is genetic. Time will give us answers. As far as him saying he'll be ready for next year. Don't mean nothing until it happens

True, but the same could be said for your assertion that his career is over

Reactions: Canada Drai

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Well, that more than explains the wobbling and loss of balance we kept seeing, especially in board battles. I sincerely hope he comes back next year looking ad dominant as he did in camp.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
when mcdavid got his collorbone fixed he was awesome after.

Jesse is scoring 50 next year,

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Reminds me of Cogliano, Gagner, Yakupov, MPS, and Schultz. All looked promising in their first years, none ever really took it beyond that initial level on the Oilers.

Almost like...we're garbage at developing players.... hmmmmmm....

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
I am a little puzzled by this though...was there an issue with Jesse and his mobility/skating?
Compared to how he started in the pre-season, he was noticeably more and more "off-balance" at odd moments as the season progressed, and continuously regressed in terms of speed and agility. Now it's clear why. Not sure if it was the cause for anything in the previous seasons, but will be interesting to see if he recovers and finds his skating form next season. That used to be one of his advantages before NHL.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Tuesday Tidbits

Femoroacetabular Impingement - OrthoInfo - AAOS

As I mentioned last week, he had some sort of bone spur. I dug into it more and FAI is the proper term. He was able to skate without pain, but once he engaged in any battle, which would cause tension, that is when the pain would occur.

“Surgery can successfully reduce symptoms caused by impingement. Correcting the impingement can prevent future damage to the hip joint. However, not all of the damage can be completely fixed by surgery, especially if treatment has been put off and the damage is severe. It is possible that more problems may develop in the future.

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
obviously he tried to play through it, double hip surgery at the age of 20? not good but he's young and can heal quickly

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Weird. I wonder if this is why he has such balance issues. I hope he recovers. Doesnt sound great though for this to be happening when hes 20.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I'd be curious about the circumstances. If it's injury, that's bad. If it's some kind of elective surgery, where it's about improving a nagging issue he's had for many years, then this is a very, very good thing.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
With this hip issue having come to light, his weakness on the board and balance issues make a lot more sense. I have a feeling he will look A LOT better next year. Think of how "bad" Klefbom looked with the bone spurs in his shoulder. Longterm or chronic pain can have a huge effect to your overall well-being and state of mind.

Reactions: Canada Drai
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad