Player Discussion Jesse Puljujärvi pt 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

onetweasy

"That's just like, your opinion, man"
Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley
Coinedence that his style of play looks like someone with a hip problem.......

Tinfoil hat: Blue Jackets were aware of hip problems through Finnish connection and avoided picking him.....

Hard to imagine a team having a 1st and 4th overall pick busting so closely together......Sigh.....

Reactions: Devonator

FlyingPhi

Jan 9, 2008
Playa Hermosa
Where do you see that potential?

I think after 139 NHL games it's difficult to say, with any certainty, what a player will become.

If you look at his NHLe from his draft year SM-Liiga season and from his AHL NHLe in 16-17, it's between 20 and 28. His NHL PPG is right in line with that over his career: 0.3 PPG last year, about 0.2 PPG this season, and 0.27 PPG over his NHL career.

Since he's not waiver-exempt next year, if he were to produce at that average over 82 games next season, he would be at about 22 points on the season and 10 goals. This year, we only have 5 players pacing to score 10 goals...

If we were able to get him onto a 2-year, one-way deal at $1.5M and he produces 22 points that would be about $68K per point. That would put him in company with players like Chris Tierny, Anthanasiou, Armia, Andrighetto, Petan, Martinook and Shore who have a similar cost per point number this season. These players are all a few years older, but they are all on non-entry level deals and are still RFAs after their current deals expire.

I think it is an assumption, yet a safe one, to assume the hip issue hampered his performance to some extent this season. With the right coach, an improved relationship with the org, and most importantly, a successful surgery and rehab process, I think Jessi at $1.5M deal would be a fair value with some significant upside potential and little risk in terms of the cap percentage he would take up on the team.

A trade would be unlikely to return a player with that output/production ratio, especially one that would be under control after their deal expires. A trade for a 2nd-4th round pick is unlikely to yield a player with that ratio either if you look at the average careers of players selected in those rounds. Letting him walk and using $1.5 million dollars on filling that spot may result in a player with that value ratio but may require more term, a larger investment, or on a player who would not be under control after the deal expires.

I'm certainly not advocating for a $3M per year deal with a 3+year term, but even with his average output his cost per production would be a reasonable value for this team with a good risk/reward outlook. I think the alternatives are unlikely to return better results and have less upside.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Maybe this injury is why he sucked at hockey

@RaabHart sounds like this kid doesn't have a deathly disease and getting a second opinion for a regular surgery is a real thing eh

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Crappy. Wonder how long he's been dealing with it. Hopefully fixing it can make a difference for him.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Probably a terrible thing but glad he has a nagging injury that has bothered him for awhile.

Not because I want him injured but at least it explains the season and gives some hope there's still a player there.

I noticed as the year went on he got worse and worse. Certainly coincides with a nagging injury.

Hope he has successful surgery. The Oilers bring in a coach that will actually use him in an true top 6 role. And we finally get to see what this kid can do next year.

Reactions: 48g90a138pts

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
A hip problem at his age doesn’t bode well. The likelyhood of this player ever being something just took another hit

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
HAHAHAHA

man, the Oilers organization is legitimately the worst run franchise likely ever in the history of any professional sport. Not even an exaggeration. Had say, the Tampa Lightning, failed to look into an issue with Vasilevskiy when he first came to Canada, that would be amongst that franchises biggest controversies. For the Oilers, its just another thing to add to the manure pile

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
But in all seriousness Jesse. I hope you get better.

I am actually truely sorry you got drafted to a team who a) was going to hold you up in the NHL in a depth role while you struggled as a rookie b) neglect to get you any help with your injury even when you raised the issue and c) would demote you to the bottom 6 and ruin all your confidence as this injury likely continued to plague you

Had you known the utter shitshow you were about to walk into, I bet staying in Finland playing video games all day would have bene a much better option

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
HAHAHAHA

man, the Oilers organization is legitimately the worst run franchise likely ever in the history of any professional sport. Not even an exaggeration. Had say, the Tampa Lightning, failed to look into an issue with Vasilevskiy when he first came to Canada, that would be amongst that franchises biggest controversies. For the Oilers, its just another thing to add to the manure pile

Damn...that really sucks. Sounds like the kid may have suffered in silence for the most part and just tried to push through, maybe just mentioning some pain in passing. If he was really making his pain known, it would be strange that it would not trigger the trainers to try to dig into what was wrong sooner.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bryanbryoil

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
HAHAHAHA

‘Anyone know Finnish? He keeps pointing to his hip and saying it hurts but it must mean something else in Finnish. No? Ah well f*** it. Rub a puck on it Jesse, that’s what we did in the 80’s. Well that and a butt load of coke. Can’t feel an injury when you’re up to your eyebrows in Coke and stripper tits!’

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
HAHAHAHA

I don't see how this is their issue. Even after they gave their recommendation he still didn't want to go for the surgery.

Oan

Jan 31, 2011
Jesse: My legs feel funny
Oilers: What?
Jesse: Funny, strange
Oilers: (what the hell is this kid trying to say, wish he spoke english better...) it's ok Jesse, just play through it and it will get better

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Or, could be that he felt he needed the surgery and the Oilers wanted him to play through it to try to up his trade value?
But it was our doctors that said get surgery and he went for a second opinion. Seems he's the one that didn't think it was too serious

bzur

Feb 11, 2007
This could also explain his ice time.. If he isn't feeling it or is having issues it would make sense to limit him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad