Player Discussion Jesse Puljujärvi pt 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Should be blamed on rishaug the way he tweeted it suggested this was an attempt by JPs agent to sidestep the ahl.

Just further character assassination. Nothing new!

Yeah, I definitely fell for the way he framed it.

I hadn't read anything about surgery before reading that tweet, so it made it sound like they were getting a second opinion on a minor lower body injury.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
It's the same pattern again and again. Character assassination leaked through the media. Began with Souray. Continued with hall. Now JP.

Wonder what happened behind the scenes to create this level of distrust with the oilers?

How so? Media have always questioned his desire to be a pro after his rookie year. Guy treated the NHL like a game, not a job and that rubbed a lot of people the wrong way.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Rishaug is a parasite

I dunno. Sometimes he's just reporting everything, even if its shit we dont like to [want to] hear

Remember the stuff where he was the only reporter bitching about Yak during practice? So many, myself included, thought he was just stirring shit but once Yak got traded, multiple media outlets corroborated it.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

NoDust33

Apr 11, 2016
How so? Media have always questioned his desire to be a pro after his rookie year. Guy treated the NHL like a game, not a job and that rubbed a lot of people the wrong way.

Why was he in the nhl? The Oilers get stuck with way more of these "rotten prospects" then what is normal. How did they not know he was immature, treated the nhl as a game? Jp might be a bust...he might have been a bust from the start....who gives a shit

Every single time this happens it's an organizational failure...blaming of players needs to stop. If a player can't cut it he cant cut it. But that doesnt mean the organization shouldn't be held fully accountable. They were in charge of drafting him, developing him, and finding a solution if it's not panning out.

Saying hes not professional at 18 and yet playing in the nhl is 100% the oilers fault. Not the players

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Why was he in the nhl? The Oilers get stuck with way more of these "rotten prospects" then what is normal. How did they not know he was immature, treated the nhl as a game? Jp might be a bust...he might have been a bust from the start....who gives a ****

Every single time this happens it's an organizational failure...blaming of players needs to stop. If a player can't cut it he cant cut it. But that doesnt mean the organization shouldn't be held fully accountable. They were in charge of drafting him, developing him, and finding a solution if it's not panning out.

Saying hes not professional at 18 and yet playing in the nhl is 100% the oilers fault. Not the players

Like I said earlier in this thread, I think the number of "rotten prospects" is overstated. They've had two. Yak and Pulju and it's scary how similar they are.

The organizational failure came when they first drafted a player like that and then they either thought they were smart enough to make it work the second time or they didn't do any homework when they drafted a second player like that.

You can point to rushing guys like Gagner, Schultz, RNH, etc., but they're all smart and/or competitive players who have carved out pretty solid NHL careers so far.

Reactions: SourOil and frag2

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
At this point you have to think theres 0% chance Pulju is an Oilers next october

Hopefully with a new coach and a new GM they can work on rehabbing the relationship and start actually developing the player. Maybe that means sending him to Europe for a season. But trading him for a third rounder at this point does nothing for anyone.

Reactions: McDrai

NoDust33

Apr 11, 2016
Like I said earlier in this thread, I think the number of "rotten prospects" is overstated. They've had two. Yak and Pulju and it's scary how similar they are

The organizational failure came when they first drafted a player like that and then they either thought they were smart enough to make it work the second time or they didn't do any homework when they drafted a second player like that.

You can point to rushing guys like Gagner, Schultz, RNH, etc., but they're all smart and/or competitive players who have carved out pretty solid NHL careers so far.

Ya that's fair I think you made some good points there. I would just say that theres a main difference in their careers of paajarvi yak JP vs. Schultz/gagner etc.

People moan about the cultural differences in regards to JP, but they have to play a role in the critical development of 19/20 year olds. I dont know exactly how but I think these north american guys that were rushed definetly are better able to adapt and find a role in the game, or maybe have been groomed in the past to better understand the concept of "finding a role"

It just seems convenient to me to say look how certain guys succeeded when other guys failed when theres an obvious distinction that exists there. They all suffered under the same program to me.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
If this injury isn’t legit, this kid has horrific character. Doesn’t give a **** about been a pro. Just wants to live the life.
I realize you put ‘if’, but that sort of speculation is well out of order imo. As poorly as Puljujarvi has played this season, there is no reason at all to think he doesn’t want to be a ‘pro’.

Not confined to JP, but I get so frustrated when fans state stuff like ‘he isn’t trying’, ‘he doesn’t want it’, ‘he signed his big money deal’, ‘it’s not a contract season’ etc etc. I suspect the number of players in the nHL who are ‘not trying’ or ‘just in it for the money’ is very close to zero. These are guys who busted their asses for fifteen years to even get drafted. Just piss that away cause they don’t feel like ‘being a pro’ makes no sense at all.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Ya that's fair I think you made some good points there. I would just say that theres a main difference in their careers of paajarvi yak JP vs. Schultz/gagner etc.

People moan about the cultural differences in regards to JP, but they have to play a role in the critical development of 19/20 year olds. I dont know exactly how but I think these north american guys that were rushed definetly are better able to adapt and find a role in the game, or maybe have been groomed in the past to better understand the concept of "finding a role"

It just seems convenient to me to say look how certain guys succeeded when other guys failed when theres an obvious distinction that exists there. They all suffered under the same program to me.

I wonder if it's kind of a difference in hockey philosophy type of thing for players from overseas too.

Seems like Paajarvi, Yak and Pulju all suffered from the same thing. They focused on their strengths(or in Pulju's case, what he incorrectly thinks his strengths are, IMO) and didn't really improve or adapt the rest of their game. When those supposed strengths weren't quite strong enough, they didn't have anything to fall back on.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
You guys are dicks. Pulju could have a major illness like Cancer. Most of the time guys dont go get 2nd opinions for small surgeries like a knee surgery. They go for 2nd opinions when theyve been diagnosed with a severe chronic illness.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
You guys are dicks. Pulju could have a major illness like Cancer. Most of the time guys dont go get 2nd opinions for small surgeries like a knee surgery. They go for 2nd opinions when theyve been diagnosed with a severe chronic illness.
He is going for a second opinion because they don't want surgery if not entirely necessary. Happens all the time. Doctor A says "surgery". You ask doctor B to make sure it's necessary and not just an idea.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
He is going for a second opinion because they don't want surgery if not entirely necessary. Happens all the time. Doctor A says "surgery". You ask doctor B to make sure it's necessary and not just an idea.

It doesnt happen on minor orthopedic surgeries. Theres really no reason for it on a minor surgery which is easily diagnosed. Also an MRI is more for soft tissue injuries and abnormalities.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
It doesnt happen on minor orthopedic surgeries. Theres really no reason for it on a minor surgery which is easily diagnosed. Also an MRI is more for soft tissue injuries and abnormalities.
It can for pro athletes. Surgery means seasons over. Players rather not have surgery if they can help it.

Reactions: guymez

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
It can for pro athletes. Surgery means seasons over. Players rather not have surgery if they can help it.

Yes, players dont want surgery. What Im saying is a simple knee injury is easy to diagnose and your not going to go for a 2nd opinion because of it. Its either something serious like a chronic illness, or something thats hard to diagnose. If its the latter you have to wonder about the Oilers doctors and whether they were trying to shut Puljujarvi down because he wouldnt report to the AHL if the rumors are true.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Oilers are sorrta bent over a barrel on this one now....

Starting next year, he has to go thru waivers if they want to send him down to AHL... correct?

Last edited:

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Yes, players dont want surgery. What Im saying is a simple knee injury is easy to diagnose and your not going to go for a 2nd opinion because of it. Its either something serious like a chronic illness, or something thats hard to diagnose. If its the latter you have to wonder about the Oilers doctors and whether they were trying to shut Puljujarvi down because he wouldnt report to the AHL if the rumors are true.
Or he may wants a second opinion? Like Jesus, it's a simple concept. It's easy to diagnose yes, but they want to be certain before he has to be put under a knife. I would.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
At this point you have to think theres 0% chance Pulju is an Oilers next october

Trade deadline Monday Feb 25th
Doctor second opinion expected on Feb 26th
Starting next season, he needs to pass thru waivers to be sent down..

His trade value might be low now, but if next year it's a rough start...what do you do?If you send him to AHL he is now on waivers... waive him ? or take a worse return than you can get today Feb 22nd 2019? Oilers are backed into a corner here..Take what you can get in 2018-19..or lose him for nothing or take even less in 2019-20...

Last edited:

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
I wouldn’t mind if he went to Europe for a year or two. He won’t get paid much in the nhl the next couple years and we couldn’t afford it either.

If he can’t play in the nhl, doesn’t want to play in the ahl, go play in the khl and hopefully take a step forward and fill your pockets a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad