Prospect Info: Jesperi Kotkaniemi

Status
Not open for further replies.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
For me I almost dont care how good he looks at camp, preseason etc, I think I woupd just be more comfortable with him in Liiga for this coming season. He can play some AHL games after and maybe even some games with the Big Team..

Liiga is almost or about AHL level so hopefully he dominates and that is never a bad way to go, to see a guy dominate before he moves up. So then he comes over in 2019.

While I obviously cant predict how he will do at camp, I am guessing we will see him on his butt a bit as he needs to build up his strength. Bigger, faster guys here and smaller surface means more and harder contact. No worries for me, he will grow into his body in time, and from the Combine we can deduce he works out.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Well I mean he played a full season in the Finnish league last year at 17 and performed very well. That doesn't convince you he has real potential?

Oh I definitely think he has real potential. But so did Yakupov before he came to the NHL. I'm more interested in whether he's the real deal - can't get excited about real potential. Too many players with real potential weren't the real deal in the past.

And of course if he comes to camp and doesn't look good, that doesn't mean he won't be the real deal. It will just mean he's not ready and I'll have to be patient to see what he really is.

Having said that, if he is the real thing, I wouldn't be surprised if he makes the team this year. I get the feeling Bergevin wants him to fill a center slot right away. And he's not shy about having young players make the team early (see Mete and Sergachev for the latest examples). He also gave Scherbak a really close look the year he was drafted. I think at the least Kotkaniemi will get a long look if shows any glimpses in his first preseason game or two.

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnLennon

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
Really optimistic about this guy, I just hope we can get a young goal scorer to play on his wing.....

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Oh I definitely think he has real potential. But so did Yakupov before he came to the NHL. I'm more interested in whether he's the real deal - can't get excited about real potential. Too many players with real potential weren't the real deal in the past.

And of course if he comes to camp and doesn't look good, that doesn't mean he won't be the real deal. It will just mean he's not ready and I'll have to be patient to see what he really is.

Having said that, if he is the real thing, I wouldn't be surprised if he makes the team this year. I get the feeling Bergevin wants him to fill a center slot right away. And he's not shy about having young players make the team early (see Mete and Sergachev for the latest examples). He also gave Scherbak a really close look the year he was drafted. I think at the least Kotkaniemi will get a long look if shows any glimpses in his first preseason game or two.
In my opinion both players were a mistake to keep up.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017

So you're excited about seeing a prospect turn into an nhler?

A prospect is potential.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
So you're excited about seeing a prospect turn into an nhler?

A prospect is potential.

Honestly I'm not excited yet. Excitement is an emotion, it's an individual thing that isn't really up for debate. I can't get excited about potential. I mean in Kotkaniemi's case, I haven't established my own personal view of his ceiling (i.e. potential). I just can't tell and I can't fake it. Personally, I have to see him at camp before I get excited. The fact that he was drafted #3 overall tells me he has potential. But other than that I really don't know for myself what his ceiling is or what kind of chance he has to actually reach it. Many top 5 picks have failed in the past. I have no idea whether he'll fail or succeed. Looking forward to seeing him at camp. Maybe I'll have a better idea of what we have, maybe it will be too early.

I think part of the reason I'm not yet excited is that he was drafted #3 overall. We suffered a lot this season so we damn well better have a top six center. But other players, like Hudon, Scherbak, and Lehkonen, because of where they were drafted, I'm excited about them because I've seen good things and that each has the potential to be a good player, either top 6 or solid top 9. And we didn't use the #3 pick on them, when there were other players readily available that were drafted after them. But if Kotkaniemi were to be where Scherbak, Hudon, and Lehkonen are right now, I'm not sure I'd be excited about him. I'm pretty sure I would expect more, especially if there were players drafted after him showing much more potential. (I mean Scherbak is a more complicated case because he always had late-blooming, raw talent written all over him, and he could end up being a top 5 overall talent, but I think you catch my drift).

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
For me I almost dont care how good he looks at camp, preseason etc, I think I woupd just be more comfortable with him in Liiga for this coming season. He can play some AHL games after and maybe even some games with the Big Team..

Liiga is almost or about AHL level so hopefully he dominates and that is never a bad way to go, to see a guy dominate before he moves up. So then he comes over in 2019.

While I obviously cant predict how he will do at camp, I am guessing we will see him on his butt a bit as he needs to build up his strength. Bigger, faster guys here and smaller surface means more and harder contact. No worries for me, he will grow into his body in time, and from the Combine we can deduce he works out.
Exactly. Who cares about seeing him play this year, I want him to dominate next year or in two years.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Have to see him at our camp before I get excited. Playing against finish league preseason lineups isn't enough for me yet. It's going to take more than that for to think he's the real deal.
I'll be excited when they change the Hall of Fame to Hall of Kotkaniemi, personally.

Real talk, if I was you I'd watch his actual FEL games to get an idea rather than a couple NHL intra-squad or preseason games with nothing on the line, where no one really cares except junior-aged guys and career AHL'ers. Unless they give him some regular season games, that'd be the best gauge.

Last edited:

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Kotkaniemi is everywhere since the draft.

- Habs Development Camp
- Friendly games with Czech Republic ahead of Summer Showcase
- 3 Pre-season games with Assat in Liiga
- Four Nations Cup
- Habs Rookie Camp & Rookie Showdown
- Habs main camp
- ....to be determined.

As for Ylonen, his omission from the roster for the Four Nations Cup is most likely because of his injury. Although it's been reported he has started practicing with his Liiga team and will play in their next pre-season game.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

Kotkaniemi is everywhere since the draft.

- Habs Development Camp
- Friendly games with Czech Republic ahead of Summer Showcase
- 3 Pre-season games with Assat in Liiga
- Four Nations Cup
- Habs Rookie Camp & Rookie Showdown
- Habs main camp
- ....to be determined.

As for Ylonen, his omission from the roster for the Four Nations Cup is most likely because of his injury. Although it's been reported he has started practicing with his Liiga team and will play in their next pre-season game.

Probably the wrong tweet.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
The kid will be on the ice a lot this year.

In an interview he said combine/draft affected his training but he found a good rhythm in July, he's been following Assats training methods as well as his agencies wishes, wish was extra skating workouts.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

In an interview he said combine/draft affected his training but he found a good rhythm in July, he's been following Assats training methods as well as his agencies wishes, wish was extra skating workouts.

The kid seems to have good character and attitude. If he is serious about improving his skating and putting on some muscle, he is going to be a real solid NHL top 6 player IMO. I think we need to be patient and forget about him playing this year or even next year in the NHL. I would love one season in the Liiga league and another in the AHL. He comes to the NHL as a 20 year old full time and we get his 7 years of RFA from age 20-26. 3 year ELC and then a long term deal at the age of 23-30 getting him through his prime years... potentially if he develops into what he is projected to at this point.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

People who didn't watch him during the season are just now getting glimpses of him, so what they're seeing is a very talented kid who still looks a bit awkward on the ice. People who followed him during the season are seeing a kid who has made a terrific amount of progress. He's had a good off-season and has set him self up for success this season.

If people are not comfortable with the ''gamble'' we took on Jesperi, they just don't have the stomach to follow the draft.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
People who didn't watch him during the season are just now getting glimpses of him, so what they're seeing is a very talented kid who still looks a bit awkward on the ice. People who followed him during the season are seeing a kid who has made a terrific amount of progress. He's had a good off-season and has set him self up for success this season.

If people are not comfortable with the ''gamble'' we took on Jesperi, they just don't have the stomach to follow the draft.

I was on the Kotkaniemi train about 2/3 of the way through the season (or at least considering him with our pick). The minute I realized he has a great shot and goal scoring/play making ability, I was ok with the gamble of taking him. Goal scoring centers can always play wing in the end so that would be the fall back plan... an extreme failure to some but the chances of him busting or showing major disappointment is small.

The Kopitar, Drai, and Barkov comparables are spot on IMO. Were going to have to be patient though. Were talking about a center development here and he is one of the youngest of his draft year.

The Habs made a smart pick here. However, just wait for Zadina to show promise in the NHL faster than Kotkaniemi... This will be the focus to some and as as soon as they can see it, they will be all over it.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
When I watch this kid play, I think more of Logan Couture than Kopitar/Barkov/Drai. He needs to gain tons of strength to be compared to those guys.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
When I watch this kid play, I think more of Logan Couture than Kopitar/Barkov/Drai. He needs to gain tons of strength to be compared to those guys.

He has the frame to fill in and be stronger. Tall and skinny. The Kopita/Barkov/Drai comparisons are about young centers who were not elite level skaters. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe this was ever a concern with Couture?

6'-2", 187 lbs. All he needs to do is put on 20-30 lbs lean muscle in the next two years. Totally possible.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
He has the frame to fill in and be stronger. Tall and skinny. The Kopita/Barkov/Drai comparisons are about young centers who were not elite level skaters. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe this was ever a concern with Couture?

Couture was never a bad skater but he's not exactly flying on the ice either. Kotkaniemi has good size (similar to Couture, I think) but I fail to see him ever having the same strength those three beasts do.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017

6'-2", 187 lbs. All he needs to do is put on 20-30 lbs lean muscle in the next two years. Totally possible.
But all three of Kopitar, Barkov, and Draisatl have elite level strength. I think that was his point, because Kotkaniemi isn’t that guy.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Will there be a stream somewhere for the Alumni all-star game today?

Seeing Kotka against Laine, Barkov, and Teravainen would be interesting...

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Couture was never a bad skater but he's not exactly flying on the ice either. Kotkaniemi has good size (similar to Couture, I think) but I fail to see him ever having the same strength those three beasts do.

Well if Kotkaniemi wants to be a legit top 2C or 1C, he needs to get stronger. A center who can't create time and space with elite level skating needs to be strong in edge work and down low in both ends of the ice. We don't want another Drouin at center do we?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
The kid seems to have good character and attitude. If he is serious about improving his skating and putting on some muscle, he is going to be a real solid NHL top 6 player IMO. I think we need to be patient and forget about him playing this year or even next year in the NHL. I would love one season in the Liiga league and another in the AHL. He comes to the NHL as a 20 year old full time and we get his 7 years of RFA from age 20-26. 3 year ELC and then a long term deal at the age of 23-30 getting him through his prime years... potentially if he develops into what he is projected to at this point.

If he follows the path of recent high end Finnish kids he should be in the NHL 19-20, if he stays in Liiga and goes around 0.8-1ppg as a C there's no reason to have AHL over NHL as a place for him in summer plans 2019. You want him to develop as much as he can without putting any chains to his development, at that point AHL shouldn't test him enough.

AHL is not that much better than Liiga.
In another thread, with other Finnish young player I was wishing to see versatile off ice training+ on ice training and it sounds like exactly what Kotka has been doing. It's a good thing that at the age of 17-18 he has a good idea where he is and where he needs to take his game at.

He was 3rd overall, he's going to have a weakness/weaknessess in his game, he has probably the best weakness you could have, balance.
Just regular growth should fix good amount of that, then add years of pro level of training and it should be a non issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lshap
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad