Prospect Info: Jesperi Kotkaniemi

Status
Not open for further replies.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Hard not to get excited about the kid. As good as 17-18 was for him, 18-19 should be exponentially better.

Have to see him at our camp before I get excited. Playing against finish league preseason lineups isn't enough for me yet. It's going to take more than that for to think he's the real deal.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
Have to see him at our camp before I get excited. Playing against finish league preseason lineups isn't enough for me yet. It's going to take more than that for to think he's the real deal.
Well I mean he played a full season in the Finnish league last year at 17 and performed very well. That doesn't convince you he has real potential?

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I'm still surprised by the uproar of the some "fans" toward this selection as it was "apparently" not the BPA as per published reports.

I get it Zadina was highly ranked in most list since the beginning of last year draft evaluation as Kotkaniemi was constantly rising in the view of many. It became apparent by the end of season that both had huge potential and flaws in their game (Zadina inconsistancies has been well documented and Kotkaniemi has skating deficiencies) what was also obvious is that 8 months difference in age at their stage of developement is massive. Also I think all the people that criticized the pick should realize that getting top centerman is almost impossible if you don't draft and develop them. I'm glad we made the selection and I hope the management and fans are patient with him he would be a good one in the future if he gets proper time to evolve as a player

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
First noticed it at the summer showcase but he looks faster than at the U18s. Good to know the skating program Pori had for him this summer is paying off.

For his size, I'm tempted to say it almost looks like his skating's a strength of late. He's really moving around well it seems. Hope he can just keep getting better and better there because that and the balance is really all I see that's even close to a worry.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I love reading all the expert opinions on the mainboard. They don't watch him play and are convinced that he ends up being a 3rd line center.

Reactions: Mrb1p

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
These skating "deficiencies" look more like nitpicking at this point more than anything...

I mean, OK, he's not Paul Byron...but the guy isn't Latendresse either.

I did see him on his arse again on one play. I've seen that a lot from him. I'm not worried but I don't want my potential #1 C (really hope he'll be our #2) on his can half the time.

If he can be a better skater than Galchenyuk, I'd be happy. AG just never seemed to improve enough in that area though he did get better and it wasn't exactly 'bad'. I could be exaggerating but Kotka seemed to really improve this offseason. His speed doesn't look like a weakness at the very least. Balance and being stronger on his feet is what I want to still see improve.

But man oh man he looks good. Before seeing him a lot I was a bit underwhelmed (stupidly I must say) by people going on about his IQ being one of the best parts of his game but when you see the decisions he makes and how quick he makes them, it's very impressive. That rush he made after fighting off those players and the resulting pass in the slot was just so smooth and smart.

The effort level's there. He'll be a menace once he fills out too. Nice to see him around the net on his goal. Super stoked to see what he does this year.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I did see him on his arse again on one play. I've seen that a lot from him. I'm not worried but I don't want my potential #1 C (really hope he'll be our #2) on his can half the time.

If he can be a better skater than Galchenyuk, I'd be happy. AG just never seemed to improve enough in that area though he did get better and it wasn't exactly 'bad'. I could be exaggerating but Kotka seemed to really improve this offseason. His speed doesn't look like a weakness at the very least. Balance and being stronger on his feet is what I want to still see improve.
For sure, but we also have to remember this kid was 17yrs old 1 month ago...balance & strength should come with time as his body grows and he becomes a man.

It's less of a concern for me than it was at draft day, when it seemed that's all anyone could talk about.

But man oh man he looks good. Before seeing him a lot I was a bit underwhelmed (stupidly I must say) by people going on about his IQ being one of the best parts of his game but when you see the decisions he makes and how quick he makes them, it's very impressive. That rush he made after fighting off those players and the resulting pass in the slot was just so smooth and smart.

The effort level's there. He'll be a menace once he fills out too. Nice to see him around the net on his goal. Super stoked to see what he does this year.
I can't stress enough how impressed i've been with his hockey sense, well at least in the limited amount of games i've seen him in.

And to me, when you have hockey sense, you can overcome any weakness in your game

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
These skating "deficiencies" look more like nitpicking at this point more than anything...

I mean, OK, he's not Paul Byron...but the guy isn't Latendresse either.
It's not that he doesn't move well, he's got speed and is a good athlete. But he does seem to lose his balance frequently and it's probably the thing he needs to work on most. And since he's 18, that's okay, but it is a real thing.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
For his size, I'm tempted to say it almost looks like his skating's a strength of late. He's really moving around well it seems. Hope he can just keep getting better and better there because that and the balance is really all I see that's even close to a worry.

I don’t think anyone is going to mistaken him for McDavid, but Kotkaniemi’s skating is not going to hold him back. I think it looks awkward in part because he’s so tall and lanky. He’s quick though, and as he continues to improve his agility and strength on his skates, he’s going to be hard to contain.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016

Many dont realise how hard it is to come back to top speed from a torn ACL

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Kotka is such an awkward skater when not moving at full speed. He seems to drag his body towards where he wants to go.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Many dont realise how hard it is to come back to top speed from a torn ACL

I keep forgetting about this.

Kotka is such an awkward skater when not moving at full speed. He seems to drag his body towards where he wants to go.

I see this a lot too. I may wrongly attribute this to being a balance issue. I don't know but yeah you explained the problem well. As long as we keep seeing that improve, I won't worry but it is an issue.

Reactions: Legend123

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
From the highlites I've seen, not just the ones on this thread but all of them, I am struck by how well he sees chances developing and how fast he makes the decision to put the puck in the right place. I guess you guys would call it vision or IQ? His passing reminds me a lot of Markov's, he lays the puck into an area and all of a sudden a team mate skates into it. That cannot be taught, it just is. I don't get to excited about prospects, but will admit this young man has me going. I wonder how long before the binman trades him. :popcorn:

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
He is so good with his stick. What a long reach!!

This guy will be tough To play against . His iq and his anticipation help him to be a very good player offensively and defensively.

When you are smart like him you dont need To skate like the wind.

For what i have seen so far....he is a lot smarter on the ice than galchenyuk

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
He is so good with his stick. What a long reach!!

This guy will be tough To play against . His iq and his anticipation help him to be a very good player offensively and defensively.

When you are smart like him you dont need To skate like the wind.

For what i have seen so far....he is a lot smarter on the ice than galchenyuk

Well yes. His IQ and Anticipation would be his greatest strengths as a player. I mean if you put Kotkaniemis brain in Galchenyuks head, you'd have one of the best players in the league.

Reactions: groovejuice
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad