Prospect Info: Jesperi Kotkaniemi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Don't know why it's always a competition between the two but I'll play.

I think some people are confusing physical maturity with NHL readiness.

Kotkaniemi having a year of play (and excelling) against pros under his belt goes a long way.
More importantly, let's say they're both given a top 6 role with PP, I'd have no hesitation saying Jesperi would have the bigger impact. Because of one reason - he's simply a superior talent.

While Poehling could be the more physically-advanced player, Kotkaniemi possesses the more developed mental faculties, already being at an elite stage for his age. That's not to mention every other tool besides skating and strength where he's sharper.

I was clearly talking about physical maturity, Poehling looks already like a man... Kotka needs to develop...

Reactions: jaffy27 and dralaf

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Don't know why it's always a competition between the two but I'll play.

I think some people are confusing physical maturity with NHL readiness.

Kotkaniemi having a year of play (and excelling) against pros under his belt goes a long way.
More importantly, let's say they're both given a top 6 role with PP, I'd have no hesitation saying Jesperi would have the bigger impact. Because of one reason - he's simply a superior talent.

While Poehling could be the more physically-advanced player, Kotkaniemi possesses the more developed mental faculties, already being at an elite stage for his age. That's not to mention every other tool besides skating and strength where he's sharper.

I don't think you can necessarily confuse the two as if they're mutually exclusive. I know what you mean but I do think physical maturity plays into NHL readiness, which I'm sure you'd probably agree with.

That all being said I'm kind of splitting hairs and I know what you mean and partially agree with this. You're making a sophisticated argument. But I think that the most important aspect of a player's game or the most common attribute that needs to be developed the most signifcantly by degree is the physical side (strength, skating, etc.) Obviously skills get refined and honed at this stage but not quite to the degree that physicality does.

I guess there's also 'NHL readiness' between two players (this is the side that you're arguing I believe) in contrast with how much further along one's own path of NHL readiness is a player in comparison with another player's, which are two different things.

tldr, you made a good point which I've tried to elaborate on and failed.

Reactions: G0bias

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
I was clearly talking about physical maturity, Poehling looks already like a man... Kotka needs to develop...
You literally just said "NHL readiness" and didn't elaborate, so yeah can't say it was really clear. But fair enough.

Reactions: NobleSix

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
I don't think you can necessarily confuse the two as if they're mutually exclusive. I know what you mean but I do think physical maturity plays into NHL readiness, which I'm sure you'd probably agree with.

That all being said I'm kind of splitting hairs and I know what you mean and partially agree with this. You're making a sophisticated argument. But I think that the most important aspect of a player's game or the most common attribute that needs to be developed the most signifcantly by degree is the physical side (strength, skating, etc.) Obviously skills get refined and honed at this stage but not quite to the degree that physicality does.

I guess there's also 'NHL readiness' between two players (this is the side that you're arguing I believe) in contrast with how much further along one's own path of NHL readiness is a player in comparison with another player's, which are two different things.

tldr, you made a good point which I've tried to elaborate on and failed.

It does of course. One could say player X is further along in that regard, which comes into play in a comparison based argument.

That said, with the league getting younger and increasingly more suited for smaller players, I don't think it plays as much of a factor as it used to. Guys in their 20's built like teens can step in and have success as long as they excel in a variety of other aspects, most notably in hockey sense, like Gaudreau, Kane, Debrincat etc.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
65A0AAEC-E859-48EA-BF5A-6F819E7FC92F.jpeg

:heart::heart::heart:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad