Winnipeg Jets going into the 24/25 season

What do you feel is the top Priority for 2024-2025?

• New Special Team Coach (replace Lauer)

Votes: 30 19.9%
  • New Head Coach (replace Bowness)

Votes: 14 9.3%
  • Replace both coaches (replace Bowness and Lauer)

Votes: 67 44.4%
  • New General Manager (replace Cheveldayoff)

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Trade Forwards/picks for improved Defense core. (Replacements for Pionk & Stanley)

Votes: 47 31.1%
  • Improved process to integrate youth (mostly our prospects) into the NHL club and give longer leash

Votes: 33 21.9%
  • Ensure strong Back-up Goalie (like Brossoit) and give MINIMUM of 30 games (Load Mgmt for Helly)

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Trade Vezina Helly if we get a great offer

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Create time travel (or borrow this current tech from the CIA) and bring back Prime Byfuglien

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Trade multiple Players for picks - start mini Re-build

Votes: 6 4.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Doesn't look too bad but I question that first trade. Lucius' value is extremely low and KC is nowhere near worth Tkachuk. Have to add a pretty big piece.
Konecny has been even less productive than Ehlers in the PO.

I like that D corps. Might swap Samberg and Ville.
Konecny is a leader.
KC, Iafallo and Barlow for Tkachuk.
Pionk, Schmidt and a 2nd for Quinn. He could play in Lambert's spot if he isn't quite ready yet.
If he is ready, you could play him on the third line and bump down Nino.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Konecny is a leader.
KC, Iafallo and Barlow for Tkachuk.
Pionk, Schmidt and a 2nd for Quinn. He could play in Lambert's spot if he isn't quite ready yet.
If he is ready, you could play him on the third line and bump down Nino.
A litre of what? Konecny hasn’t led his team to anything.

PitbulI

Dec 22, 2010
I'm looking at potential free agents this upcoming summer and I'm not sure who the Jets could target that would make us that much better while probably going with players under 30.

Would Dumba be an option at RD? Honest question as I'm not sure what happened to him.

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
Pity it hasn’t mounted to much.
Sometimes that’s unfair to place that burden on one player. Look at the teams he has played on. Get him on a better team surrounded by a better supporting cast and he probably shines.

Similar to Sam Bennett now versus his time in Calgary.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Sometimes that’s unfair to place that burden on one player. Look at the teams he has played on. Get him on a better team surrounded by a better supporting cast and he probably shines.

Similar to Sam Bennett now versus his time in Calgary.
If we are paying a lot for him nothing is unfair. Florida got Sam Bennett pretty cheaply. Helly has carried us into playoff contention multiple times.

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018
Hey do we want Marner?Toronto doesn't want him, lol.

Ehlers, Bowness, Pionk for Marner, Keefe and Edmundson. We could throw in Stanley and Appleton. 😆

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
He's also taking a lot of penalties in the first place.
I wonder how many were legit penalties and how much are the refs picking on him, however. There were multiple times that they picked him. Stan would lay out to block a shot the player tripped over his already sprawled out body and penalize him.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

Ehlers, Bowness, Pionk for Marner, Keefe and Edmundson. We could throw in Stanley and Appleton. 😆

Marner is basically just a better playmaking version of Ehlers really. Similar kind of disappearing act in the playoffs.

Upside to him is he is the kind of player that can make a goalscorer much better. Him and Connor could likely work magic but I doubt that TNSE wants to negotiate his next deal. He's likely to be very overpayed for what he will bring. At least Ehlers will likely be earning closer to what he provides.

I wonder how many were legit penalties and how much are the refs picking on him, however. There were multiple times that they picked him. Stan would lay out to block a shot the player tripped over his already sprawled out body and penalize him.

Yeah thats a penalty though. Stan suffers from the to big. When your that size its always tough not to hit to high or get your stick into skates or faces.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
But he scores. Yeah maybe he doesn't look pretty doing it. He gets the job done. Ehlers looks really pretty when he does his thing. He just doesn't get results.
With Ehlers on the ice, we get 60+% of the goals scored at 5v5. That's both a pretty number and a stunning result too. Why ignore the effect on teammates?

The "trade Ehlers" crowd seemingly neglects the fact that it wasn't just Nik who disappeared against the Avs, but rather the entire top 6 was torn apart (some made it out with a higher SH%, though). We've had these same problems for years now. We know that Connor-Scheifele-X has been a bad combination, unless X = Ehlers. Nik has driven most second line compositions with excellent results and 5v5 production, so we've had that going for us.

If you trade Ehlers (and presumably lock in the Connor-Scheifele duo for the foreseeable future), who is meant to carry 81 and 55, who consistently lose their match-ups? Who drives the play on the second line? Many will say Perfetti - do we have a coach that trusts him to play on the second line? What options do we have in regards to the top 6, if the initial combos suck? I'd gladly hear answers to these questions, because if we go into 24-25 with both scoring lines being in terrible shape, we likely don't have to worry about our guys' playoff production at all.

If we could find a coach who's willing (able?) to nuke the "Lowry as a third line shut down centre" idea, could you run:

Ehlers Schief Vilardi
Connor Lowry Perfetti
Nino Lambert Names
Barron Gus/Kupari Appleton
Lowry has generally been pretty dreadful with top talent, but him playing with top talent has also been a matter of emergency and necessity, so there's that. Still, replacing a known bad line with a known good line would be welcome, and we'd at least get to experiment with new combinations.

Reactions: NikoEhlers

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011

I assume you’re joking, but zero interest in Marner or his father or his cap hit or next contract demand. I couldn’t care less about a bunch of useless personal points, if he doesn’t show up when it counts and doesn’t compete when it counts…….no interest. Jets need more guys who compete when it counts, not more guys like Marner who disappears when it counts, avoids physical contact at all cost

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
That lineup is worse than this year's lineup.
It incorporates a lot of youth and get them into the lineup and doesn’t cost for any big rentals. Barron is an upgrade on Appleton.

Marner is basically just a better playmaking version of Ehlers really. Similar kind of disappearing act in the playoffs.

Upside to him is he is the kind of player that can make a goalscorer much better. Him and Connor could likely work magic but I doubt that TNSE wants to negotiate his next deal. He's likely to be very overpayed for what he will bring. At least Ehlers will likely be earning closer to what he provides.

Yeah thats a penalty though. Stan suffers from the to big. When your that size its always tough not to hit to high or get your stick into skates or faces.
Is it though if the other player purposely skates into you while you are lying on the ice. Sounds more like game management.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Isn't it wild the 3 awards we did/ might win were our weaknesses in the playoffs?

Jennings -> record worst defense
Vezina -> worst goalie
Jack Adams -> coach too stubborn or incapable of countering the opponent

You don't make the playoffs with that lineup.
I'd risk missing the playoffs if the alternative is performances like what we've seen much of the past 5 post seasons.

Something has to change in this team's psyche and we've obviously not cut out the rot on this team.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
But he scores. Yeah maybe he doesn't look pretty doing it. He gets the job done. Ehlers looks really pretty when he does his thing. He just doesn't get results.
One outscores and the other gets outscored. That's really the name of the game.

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
After these playoffs, I'm not sure anyone knows what a "legitimate" penalty is... I remember Buff would get some penalties that were essentially "you're not holding back enough" on clean hits, but he also constantly was hammering guys without getting penalties - checks that were true hockey plays, separating guys from the puck, forcing rushed passes - I know he was an elite, unique talent, but I sure miss that combo of Big, Smart and Skilled...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad