Prospect Info: Jesperi Kotkaniemi

Status
Not open for further replies.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
It’ll be interesting forsure. This pick was off the map although he made a case for himself. Ballsy high risk high reward kind of pick.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
How is the best center of the draft a high risk pick?

There were puck moving defenceman at an abundance and Tkachuk who would’ve been a safer pick, yet a smaller ceiling as far as projections go.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
It’ll be interesting forsure. This pick was off the map although he made a case for himself. Ballsy high risk high reward kind of pick.
Why Ballsy? To me Ballsy would have been picking another winger for his collection.

He climbed the ranks quick. There’s always a risk with a player like this.
There's risk with all these young guys, watch Zadina be nothing special, i don't think his play will translate the way some think.

There were puck moving defenceman at an abundance and Tkachuk who would’ve been a safer pick, yet a smaller ceiling as far as projections go.
Tkachuk is a 3rd line player no more, he hasn't dominated in any league he has played in.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
There's risk with all these young guys, watch Zadina be nothing special, i don't think his play will translate the way some think.

It would’ve been easy to take Zadina/Tkachuk, or one of the defenceman. They took from an area of the biggest need and FAR from a guaranteed at #3. That’s why I call it ballsy. He was the pick I wanted so if he busts, I honestly can’t complain, but there was huge risk with this pick.

Reactions: Cobra Commander

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Taking a player 3rd OA with skating issues is risky for today's NHL.

Maybe he has a weird hunched over sance but it didn't look too bad at the development camp...I'm sure he can work on it as many others have. I know he didn't have the best camp early on but as far as his skating goes, he didn't seem much slower than the others.

His dad is his head coach, I'd put my money on Kotkaniemi being worked hard by his dad to improve his weaknesses and excel at center this year.

Reactions: Cobra Commander

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Maybe he has a weird hunched over sance but it didn't look too bad at the development camp...I'm sure he can work on it as many others have.

His dad is his head coach, I'd put my money on Kotkaniemi being worked hard by his dad to improve his weaknesses and excel at center this year.

yea I would assume he improves his skating over time but it doesn't make it any less risky at 3rd OA. I trust Timmins and I like what I've seen from him, especially his shot so I'm not worried but it was a risky move that hopefully pays off big.

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
Well if he goes back to Finland, I hope he plays center. Can't have him play on the wing like he did mostly last season!
He was drafted to be a C and he should develop into a C. If his pops can't put him at C, then I prefer he stay in Laval and play high minutes as a C with the Rocket and develop him at center there!

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Well if he goes back to Finland, I hope he plays center. Can't have him play on the wing like he did mostly last season!
He was drafted to be a C and he should develop into a C. If his pops can't put him at C, then I prefer he stay in Laval and play high minutes as a C with the Rocket and develop him at center!

If his dad can't put him at C then we're f***ed lol

Le compétiteur

Ok sure, there were other options out there.

Again, how is Kotkaniemi a high risk pick?

The "risk" part is that 1 or more players become better players. That said, whoever Habs would have drafted, the risk would have been the same as there was no clear #3 pick.

I think that many use the word risk but they mean "I was high on Zadina" ( or any players drafted after not name Tkachuk).

Even if he end up "only" to be the less good 1C in the league we still manage to finally have a first line center, and that is a upgrade to the current situation.

As long as he is not 1 more prospect that got missmanage we would see him being good for a long time...

Reactions: GHJimmy

GHJimmy

We made it here.
Mar 30, 2018
Excited about this kid, could see some potential in him, he really surprised me in the U-18 putting up good points and plays where kids are really competitive and he matched against them without hesitation! Can't wait to watch him this coming season either in Laval or Finland

EDIT: also if we traded Patches for another top 10 pick and getting Zadina/Wahlstrom would be a steal of the draft, instead NYI stole that draft, perfectly excecuted

Reactions: Bryson

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
2 Goals and 3 Assists or I'm done with this kid!

I don't give a crap if he gets goals or assists. I just want to see signs of him being above the rest of the prospects. When you draft someone 3rd overall it's because he's in a class above the rest of the guys his age. If there are no clear signs of that in a tournament where the intensity is not even that high, there are actual reasons to be concerned.

I mean. Even Galchenyuk at this age after losing a full year due to injury was dominant in those displays.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Those prematurely defensive posts kind of make me laugh.

If you guys are so confident about the guy, there should be no doubt in your minds that he's going to be dominant next to other prospects.

At some point it's got to stop.

"OMG PEOPLE JUDGING HIM BASED ON A DEV CAMP ARE SO DENSE!"
"OMG PEOPLE JUDGING HIM BASED ON A ROOKIE TOURNAMENT ARE SO DENSE!"
"OMG PEOPLE JUDGING HIM BASED ON HIS ACTUAL SEASON IN FINLAND ARE SO DENSE!"
"OMG PEOPLE JUDGING HIM BASED ON HIS 4TH SEASON IN THE NHL ARE SO DENSE!"

I can already see it coming...

These defensive posts exist for a reason. 'Cause they make sense. There are no summer performances that will ever indicate how great or bad a player is. What indicate more how good he is is how he progresses through an entire season. And to a certain extent, performances over a big tournament like the WJ .

So if something has to stop, it's thinking that a kid is a bust over a summer performance.

Reactions: Astormynight

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I don't give a crap if he gets goals or assists. I just want to see signs of him being above the rest of the prospects. When you draft someone 3rd overall it's because he's in a class above the rest of the guys his age. If there are no clear signs of that in a tournament where the intensity is not even that high, there are actual reasons to be concerned.

I mean. Even Galchenyuk at this age after losing a full year due to injury was dominant in those displays.
There's a thing called potential. You don't draft those kids for what they're now, you draft them for what you project they'll become.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
You're putting a lot of effort in this.

There are people here preemtively creating excuses for the guy's possible lackluster performance in case he doesn't have a good performance and I'm the one putting a lot of effort in this? :laugh:

Newsflash; I'm not going to waste a minute of sleep if the guy does good OR bad. I just like to be realistic. Picks can be good or bad. Just because you guys defend everything that has been picked by Timmins doesn't mean the guy can't possibly have badly wasted this pick.

These defensive posts exist for a reason. 'Cause they make sense. There are no summer performances that will ever indicate how great or bad a player is. What indicate more how good he is is how he progresses through an entire season. And to a certain extent, performances over a big tournament like the WJ .

So if something has to stop, it's thinking that a kid is a bust over a summer performance.

Whitesnake, you've been here long enough to know people will come up with these excuses no matter the context, no matter how good or bad he does in this season. If he stagnates and still plays wings, people will still come up and say we've got our #1C pencilled in.

Nobody talked about saying this guy is a bust based on his performance in a summer show-off. But if at some point the show-offs and "irrevelant games" accumulate where he's just "one prospect among the others", at some point, maybe, MAYBE there MIGHT be valid reasons to be concerned about a 3rd overall pick looking like "just a prospect among the others".

But anyway... If it's so irrelevant. Why are people even paying attention to this game? :sarcasm: You guys say a bad performance means nothing... well the same goes for a good performance, no? So in this case, why are you even wasting your time watching the guy if he has nothing to prove or show in this game?

This is kind of contradictory...

For the record. Stats mean nothing, that I can agree. But the guy should look a step or even two above the others. He's been picked 3rd overall. He's supposed to be that much of a special player. He should either show better skating, better abilities, better playmaking, better shooting, better hockey IQ or better defensive accumen than the others...

Last edited:

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
There are people here preemtively creating excuses for the guy's possible lackluster performance in case he doesn't have a good performance and I'm the one putting a lot of effort in this? :laugh:

Look in this thread and look how many are writing long posts about this game/tournament. People are interested but no one's making a big deal out of it. You are the one putting a lot of effort in this.

Newsflash; I'm not going to waste a minute of sleep if the guy does good OR bad. I just like to be realistic. Picks can be good or bad. Just because you guys defend everything that has been picked by Timmins doesn't mean the guy can't possibly have badly wasted this pick.

So your complaint isn't about Timmins' pick, but your gripe is about posters who like this pick, right?

Reactions: groovejuice
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad