Player Discussion Jesperi Kotkaniemi (Part VIII) - Pretty Mintniemi Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
All away games. All big teams. If he's spent, then so be it. Let him come back when the team returns from its west coast swing.

That's what I think will happen. They'll probably sit him the entire road trip and play him again in front of the home fans at the Bell Centre. My guess anyway but probably depends on what happens with the SJ game or if someone gets injured during the SJ game. I don't have a problem with resting him for a few games at this point especially for road games. Hope it recharges him to end the season.

Whatever happens this season as been a success for Kotkaniemi up to this point IMO no matter how the rest of the season ends for him.

Last edited:

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
No problem with resting him. Again, all depends what happens after the road trip. If the team is trailing for a playoff spot, will this organisation be tempted into going with more experienced players?

Guns n Roses

Feb 26, 2019
What is the value, really ? I don't know, maybe, but I see more value in him playing games.

I didn't get to see the last two games has he been this bad ? This is weird.
He probably needs physical and mental rest. A few days off to heal, and to watch 3 games from the stands would do him some good.

SamHabsFan

Apr 6, 2016
Quebec
Yeah no problem with resting him, the only weird thing is KK said this afternoon after the practice that he trust his coach and that CJ knows whats best for him, but also that he does not feel fatigued at all. Maybe they try to cover up a small injury?

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
I hope they play him tomorrow and see how he does. Especially if we win, rest him the last game against the Ducks and give him 4 days to rest before our next game

Guns n Roses

Feb 26, 2019
Why would a 18 years old need more rest though, Im not sure about that one. Id think their ability to recover is much greater than 30+ yo.
Maybe he’s got some aches and pains that could use a few days to heal, who knows.

Harpo

Lyle forever
Sep 20, 2007
Quebec City
We fired Therrien a few years ago.
Carbonneau (and Martin?) had similar issues, if I remember well. And I'm getting bad vibes about how some players may not be getting all the information and feedback from the current coaching staff (Galchenyuk, Hudon, even fringe players like Alzner, Schlemko etc.). Julien might be better in this area but it has been an issue with past coaches.

Stoneburg

Mar 21, 2004
Fishing
Many guys from the NCAA and Euro leagues wear down as the season goes past 40 - 60 games because they are not used to playing that many games.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Many guys from the NCAA and Euro leagues wear down as the season goes past 40 - 60 games because they are not used to playing that many games.

And much more physical games at that. And the biggest concern with a very young , tired player isnt their play trailing off, its that such a player is more open to getting injured ( knock on wood ).

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I hope they play him tomorrow and see how he does. Especially if we win, rest him the last game against the Ducks and give him 4 days to rest before our next game

He doesn’t need any rest CJ just can’t shelter for road game... every pts is important the season is on the line... if he didn’t play against the kings I wouldn’t play SJS they have more depth, ANA is a better team for him to play against

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

Totally agree, and why I was far more inclined to see JKO stay in Europe this year....

But we kept him, and he has shown he can hack it.

Nothing I've seen in the last few games suggests he's dropped off enough to warrant being benched. This wreaks of trying to protect veteran egos & banking on the young guy taking it in stride, which is why I don't like it.

They kept him BC they felt he earned it, at this stage in the season you gotta ice the best lineup & nothing about his play suggest he isn't a top 9 fwd for this team

#freekotka

Reactions: Drouin92

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
He's a boy playing in a mans league, no doubt he is banged up and tired. Think about it guys, just a little thought would be nice.

I don't know if that's really the issue since he was playing with men in Pori.

I think it has a lot to do with the number of games he's been playing since the summer plus flights. Julien says he's hit a wall, not just physically but mentally, he's totally fatigued. I'll give Julien the benefit of the doubt, there is no reason to think Julien is not acting in the player's best interests which coincides with his team's best interests since a refreshed KK is going to contribute more.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Аrpon Basu @ArponBasu

“The coach knows what’s best for me. I trust him.” - Jesperi Kotkaniemi.

Kotkaniemi said he didn’t feel any fatigue but, again, he trusts Julien’s judgment. Julien said he hasn’t decided yet if he’ll play tomorrow or not.
17:27 - 6 mars 2019

If you ask any player whether they're tired, most won't admit to it cause they all want to be part of the lineup every game.

I think KK's answer shows a lot of maturity -- he leaves it up to his coach, he's not interested in stirring the pot.

Reactions: LAINEC and sharks9

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
All away games. All big teams. If he's spent, then so be it. Let him come back when the team returns from its west coast swing.
I'm SOOOO tired of fans who lap up anything ChuRien says.

On Monday, the lying POS was saying that KK's game had improved so much that he was now ready to center Jonathan Drouin. And the fefans lapped it up and repeated the talking point. Now, 24 hours later, he's hit a wall and again a contingent of fans go along. Let's sit out MORE games! We don't want the kid to get valuable experience playing these games, NOOOO. Suddenly the coaching staff chickens out.

Weirdest wall hit I ever saw. A ONE game scoring drought. A +5 in his last ten games or so.

You want to get Jordan Weal into the lineup? Sure no problem, you SHOULD. Put him on the fourth line where his speed will be a lifeline to Nate Thompson who is literally 30% slower than everyone else on the team. Nate's good on faceoffs and decent at PK. That's it. If the faceoff prowess is important, then at least give him Weal to back him up for those key draws and to provide some speed, because Lehkonen can't do much with Thompson and Weise. At least TRY Weal there.

We have had a good season by and large because we have three lines that can be a threat. With Byron and Armia, KK's line lately has been a major threat. Wall, my eye.

Julien is reverting to his pattern of slugs on the fourth line and over-reliance on vets. Some here warned about that.

What's next in the "AHL guys spell tired youngsters" tale? Ouellett in for Mete? No, better ALZNER. He's the equivalent of Weise here.

I've changed my mind on the Weise and Thompson deals. They're turning into poison, not because of the price paid, cuz Schlemko was hot garbage and I don't care about the exact ranking of our 7th pick, but because we are now giving a guaranteed spot to TWO useless grinders, Weise and Thompson.

Weise = 7 games , zero goals, zero assists.
Thompson = 11 games, 1 measly assist on an ENG.

Weal might actually be an NHL player but to take the chicken way out and bench a rookie who was contributing so that the fourth line can contribute NOTHING is disgusting.

"We want to play fast" or "we want to dictate the play"
oops, we don't care about that anymore.

Clod ChuRien, gtfo.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I'm SOOOO tired of fans who lap up anything ChuRien says.

On Monday, the lying POS was saying that KK's game had improved so much that he was now ready to center Jonathan Drouin. And the fefans lapped it up and repeated the talking point. Now, 24 hours later, he's hit a wall and again a contingent of fans go along. Let's sit out MORE games! We don't want the kid to get valuable experience playing these games, NOOOO. Suddenly the coaching staff chickens out.

Weirdest wall hit I ever saw. A ONE game scoring drought. A +5 in his last ten games or so.

I understand your skepticism toward Julien but none of us are lapdogs.

The idea of a European rookie, the youngest player in the league to boot, would experience fatigue after having played something like 90 games when you include 66 games with the Habs so far, plus pre-season games that included games during training camp, the rookie tournament, the games KK played in Pori and those he played with the Finnish national team.

It is common knowledge that European players playing short seasons in their home leagues are not used to rigors of an NHL schedule and the vast majority need their playing time to be monitored for fatigue, be it mental or physical or both. It's a coach's prerogative to raise issues of fatigue for a young player such as this since it happens in the normal course. KK is no different that a ton of other Europeans who have undergone the same difficulties in the second half of an NHL season.

Even if one were to assume that your skepticism about the decision to sit KK was warranted, it is much too early to arrive at the type of conclusions that your post evokes. Being taken out of the lineup for 2 or 3 games is not going to impact the progression he's made by playing well over 90 so far.

And there is plenty of season left to play.

Sure, trounce Julien all you like. But, not over this. Not just yet.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I understand your skepticism toward Julien but none of us are lapdogs.

The idea of a European rookie, the youngest player in the league to boot, would experience fatigue after having played something like 90 games when you include 66 games with the Habs so far, plus pre-season games that included games during training camp, the rookie tournament, the games KK played in Pori and those he played with the Finnish national team.

It is common knowledge that European players playing short seasons in their home leagues are not used to rigors of an NHL schedule and the vast majority need their playing time to be monitored for fatigue, be it mental or physical or both. It's a coach's prerogative to raise issues of fatigue for a young player such as this since it happens in the normal course. KK is no different that a ton of other Europeans who have undergone the same difficulties in the second half of an NHL season.

Even if one were to assume that your skepticism about the decision to sit KK was warranted, it is much too early to arrive at the type of conclusions that your post evokes. Being taken out of the lineup for 2 or 3 games is not going to impact the progression he's made by playing well over 90 so far.

And there is plenty of season left to play.

Sure, trounce Julien all you like. But, not over this. Not just yet.

I'm not worried about "ruining" the kid or his stats or anything like that.

We had a winning strategy based on three good lines, and a mix and match on the fourth.

We've given the Thompson-era fourth line 11 games now and NOTHING. So they decide to put in Weal, fine.

For Price-sake put him in for Weise. Or at worst Thompson.

There is no evidence of a wall for KK. Not only did he have assists in two of the previous three games, he wasn't even on the ice for any of the Pittsburgh goals on Saturday. If some people were tired, look elsewhere. The kid has gone from +2 to +7 in the last dozen or so games. There has been no wall, it is just an easy excuse in order to avoid disappointing Dutch. I warned about this, Weise feels entitled to his ice time, always has. But if you have a big fat zero after 7 games, after a disappointing season in Philly as well, you can sit out. This coddling of vets has to stop.

Reactions: HOPE

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I'm not worried about "ruining" the kid or his stats or anything like that.

We had a winning strategy based on three good lines, and a mix and match on the fourth.

We've given the Thompson-era fourth line 11 games now and NOTHING. So they decide to put in Weal, fine.

For Price-sake put him in for Weise. Or at worst Thompson.

There is no evidence of a wall for KK. Not only did he have assists in two of the previous three games, he wasn't even on the ice for any of the Pittsburgh goals on Saturday. If some people were tired, look elsewhere. The kid has gone from +2 to +7 in the last dozen or so games. There has been no wall, it is just an easy excuse in order to avoid disappointing Dutch. I warned about this, Weise feels entitled to his ice time, always has. But if you have a big fat zero after 7 games, after a disappointing season in Philly as well, you can sit out. This coddling of vets has to stop.

From a strictly statistical standpoint, there was no reason to sit KK. He had posted 1 goal and 4 assists in his last 7 games.

To your point about "evidence", there is none that is immediately available to the average fan. The Habs coaching staff is in a unique position to ascertain when a player is discernably fatigued and unless one believes that their role is to muddle and fabricate cover-ups in order to implement new decisions that may be less popular with the fan base, then we're not in a great position to be able to credibly claim otherwise.

FWIW, a good argument in favor of not sitting KK, came from Latendresse last evening on AC. He said that even he hit a wall as a rookie in the NHL however, Julien is pulling KK much too late in the season, at a time when there are only 15-16 games left in the season and the team is fighting for critical points in the standings.. At this point in the season, a coach shouldn't be going with trials and errors but instead, should have been able to establish his lines so as to create chemistry and momentum with said players.

Farmer Gilbert Delorme also admitted having "hit a wall" as a rookie in the league, so it's definitely a common thing.

Obviously, if you don't trust Julien about anything, there is no argument that will sway your opinion and that's your prerogative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad