Player Discussion Jesperi Kotkaniemi (Part VIII) - Pretty Mintniemi Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
As great has KK progress from rookie camp to the start of the season + every game he seem to get better even if he wasn’t on the score board each game he would give you a flash of skill with a deke or a pass but most of The time he seem out match and we seen less and less of these flashes. Those flashes probably blind us to the fact that he isn’t having much impact, He has been very shelter all year that way he only has 7or 8 pts on road games and 6-9pts in loses and almost half of is point come against non playoff team... He probably should have been bench sooner or sent for a few home game in the AHL... Is future is still bright it part of learning
Or he should've stayed in Finland, but who knew that... Really.

Anyway, benching him doesn't matter much.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
As great has KK progress from rookie camp to the start of the season + every game he seem to get better even if he wasn’t on the score board each game he would give you a flash of skill with a deke or a pass but most of The time he seem out match and we seen less and less of these flashes. Those flashes probably blind us to the fact that he isn’t having much impact, He has been very shelter all year that way he only has 7or 8 pts on road games and 6-9pts in loses and almost half of is point come against non playoff team... He probably should have been bench sooner or sent for a few home game in the AHL... Is future is still bright it part of learning

If I was the GM, Kotkaniemi would of been playing Liiga or AHL this season and attended the WJC. I don't see a point of rushing him and he earns a center 3C spot over Pleky, Peca, DLR. It wasn't difficult for Kotkaniemi to win the 3C job over those 3.

I like his potential but I do worry about asset management. Wings have ensured Zadina did not play more than 40 NHL games this year cause they are protecting their RFA years. Same approach the Blue Jays are taking with VGJ.

We will see how this all plays out with Kotkaniemi when he is 20 or 21. I think the smarter plan with him would of been a patient one. I rather take the road with no development excuses if he struggles to become the player we think or expect him to.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
If I was the GM, Kotkaniemi would of been playing Liiga or AHL this season and attended the WJC. I don't see a point of rushing him and he earns a center 3C spot over Pleky, Peca, DLR. It wasn't difficult for Kotkaniemi to win the 3C job over those 3.

I like his potential but I do worry about asset management. Wings have ensured Zadina did not play more than 40 NHL games this year cause they are protecting their RFA years. Same approach the Blue Jays are taking with VGJ.

We will see how this all plays out with Kotkaniemi when he is 20 or 21. I think the smarter plan with him would of been a patient one. I rather take the road with no development excuses if he struggles to become the player we think or expect him to.
I wanted him to play in Finland at the beginning of the season ( didn’t want him near the Montreal media and fan pressure) considering the what happen to is team it probably ok that he was there but if I was GM he would have played in the WJC and he would not have played over 40 games in the NHL to maintain is RFA/ UFA for a other year... Also it would of have freed a roster spot so not to lose 3 players to waiver

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I wanted him to play in Finland at the beginning of the season ( didn’t want him near the Montreal media and fan pressure) considering the what happen to is team it probably ok that he was there but if I was GM he would have played in the WJC and he would not have played over 40 games in the NHL to maintain is RFA/ UFA for a other year... Also it would of have freed a roster spot so not to lose 3 players to waiver

Agreed. I'm not upset that he made our team but I don't think it's smart asset management. Lets see how this plays out and if any our of fan base uses hindsight evaluation if he struggles to get better and we look back when he is 20 or 21.

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Nothing but praise all year long...one healthy scratch and he should have been in Finland all year playing on a terrible, terrible team. Never gonna be the kind of player to make $...You guys are so predictably insane.

Have some god damn patience. This kid is an absolute stud. Look at the praise he gets from coaches, scouts, and players around the league. He's the youngest player in the league and is putting up very respectable numbers while being trusted in his own zone, trusted to play in key situations.

Look at Barkov's numbers his first few years. And I'm not talking just points, look at his games played: Aleksander Barkov Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

The pressure is not getting to him. He's handled pressure very well. He's a cool kid. There's no evidence at all that the Montreal media is "getting to him".

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Kotkaniemi is never going to break the bank anyway, he's just not that guy.

giphy.gif

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Or he should've stayed in Finland, but who knew that... Really.

Anyway, benching him doesn't matter much.

417 and I had several conversations about Kotkaniemi playing NHL or not this year. Of course he earned his 3C spot over Pleky, DLR, and Peca to start the year and he deserves to play 3C based on his play. But this is not about what value Kotkaniemi provides at age 18, it's about who he may become at age 20+. I don't consider this smart asset management and I think our pride/rebound season has trumped everything else. I preferred Kotkaniemi to go back to Finland for more than one reason.

Middle of the pack strategy and I predicted 10-15 range pick or a fringe wild card team. It reeked of this result from a mile away if we had a healthy roster which we had this year.

When was the last time we had top 10 picks or top 5 picks in two draft years in a row? This is what I wanted and there were several things we could of done to put us in a position to get this IMO.

- Keep Kotkaniemi out of it at age 18. Let him grow gradually and work on being a #1C in the Liiga league before he is a center in the NHL.
- Play Pleky and DLR as our 3C/4C.
- Play Hudon, Scherbak, Peca and test them.
- Keep Weber out of the line-up till 2019.
- Talk to the vets to tell them our plan... we will go through one more growing pain year.
- If someone wanted Petry or Tatar bad at the deadline, you let them provide pry-away value or we keep them.

Pride? How dare the Habs have 2 top 5 picks in back to back draft years. We have too much pride for that.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
He's what kind of guy then ? He's going to be a third line center all his life ? Wouldn't even surprise me with this team.
He's going to be a great player, but he's not like a Matthews or anything where his cap hit is going to mess up a team.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He's going to be a great player, but he's not like a Matthews or anything where his cap hit is going to mess up a team.

Hard to predict his age 19 and 20 seasons and if we bridge him or sign him for 8 years. What will the cap be in 21? All things we can not predict accurately

I get what you are saying. Based on what you see from him at the age of 18, you think he will be a good #2C someday (maybe). But the pessimistic approach don't trump the optimistic approach or vice versa.

At the end of the day, we just don't know

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Why not give him a break against one of the worst teams in the league? Better to scratch him now rather than against a good team when we'll need him.

No issues here. He'll be back next game...missing 1 game isn't the end of the world

Reactions: philipsson

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Why not give him a break against one of the worst teams in the league? Better to scratch him now rather than against a good team when we'll need him.

No issues here. He'll be back next game...missing 1 game isn't the end of the world

I was just affraid going into the game that we would need every player we had to beat the Kings, given our play of late and our history on the california trip. Good thing they got the job done without Kotkaniemi.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I have no idea why that outrage about KK sitting. Geez, can people just go from ''he almost went back to his dad team to see his dad being fired....to it's okay if he sits one f***ing game???? It's so not the end of the world. Now, if Julien thinks that his best team means more Weise, more Thompson, more Lehkonen, and even more Weal and less KK...THEN we have a problem. But it was not about that. At least, let's hope so. Put Weal on the 4th, and let's have some skill there so we could finally dominate the opponent pluggers 4th line....and try him on the PP if you want.

Reactions: Paddyjack
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad