Player Discussion Jesperi Kotkaniemi (Part VII) - Pretty Mint Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
One trend I've noticed with all of our finns is their good sticks defensively. They may not be the most physical players but they know how to position themselves to lash out and get a good pokecheck. KK especially at 18 is already very good at this.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
One trend I've noticed with all of our finns is their good sticks defensively. They may not be the most physical players but they know how to position themselves to lash out and get a good pokecheck. KK especially at 18 is already very good at this.

It helps when your stick is 10' long :laugh:

I do agree with you though. They play an attack style of game and Kotkaniemi is almost never out of position and the puck seems to find him more often than not.

Reactions: DAChampion

Bearr

Dec 31, 2015
Upcoming team Finland will look great if they can go in 2022:

Aho - Barkov - Rantanen
Laine - Kotkaniemi - Kakko

Would be nice to see Kotka centering some truly elite players. Something tells me it's not often we will get to see it in a Habs jersey , hopefully I'm wrong...

I'd rather have Laine with Barkov, as Sasha is a more experienced elite playmaker, and then Rantanen-Kotkaniemi-Kakko would be a line of 3 players with outstanding overall game while still having great offensive upside. What I'm saying basically is that Laine needs Barkov.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I'd rather have Laine with Barkov, as Sasha is a more experienced elite playmaker, and then Rantanen-Kotkaniemi-Kakko would be a line of 3 players with outstanding overall game while still having great offensive upside. What I'm saying basically is that Laine needs Barkov.
Kotkaniemi is a better passer than Barkov

Dont quote me on that

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Upcoming team Finland will look great if they can go in 2022:

Aho - Barkov - Rantanen
Laine - Kotkaniemi - Kakko

Would be nice to see Kotka centering some truly elite players. Something tells me it's not often we will get to see it in a Habs jersey , hopefully I'm wrong...
We may need both Aho and Kakko as centers. I could see Kotka doing well with Kapanen's speed or even setting the slow Tolvanen up for shots? Granlund and Donskoi have similar vision and creativity as Kotka but not sure they'd be a good fit otherwise. I could see Barkov in a checking line with maybe Haula and Armia, so maybe Rantanen is available as well... Anyway we'll need more first-tier scoring wingers, hope some of the upcoming (I mean already drafted but unproven) other kids provide that. Anyway Kakko is now playing center in Liiga and looks good doing it.

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
I gave him a hard time about it. lol

To be serious... Tarasenko is a serious talent. When you compare his career stats and major differences to Patch, you realize it's not as big as most would think. Not saying Patch = Tarasenko but the gap is not huge.

- 3 year age gap
- Both signed for 5 years including this one.
- Similar cap hit starting next year
- 4 goals per year difference
- 8 points per year difference

Edge to Tarasenko for sure. This is why I added the 1st on top of the Patch return.

- Suzuki or Brook
- Tatar, Byron, or Lehkonen (hate to trade Lehkonen and would fight hard at keeping him out of it)
- 1st
- 2nd
Big difference is that Tarasenko doens't play defence... he barely crosses his own blue line. He's a disaster waiting to happen with julien. Although I love his natural offensive talent, his lack of defensive hustle and very inconsistent effort makes me want to pass on him big time (espacially with the assets it will cost), just wait for the summer and hope one of Panarin or Stone accepts MB's offer.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
If you look at time on ice, his comparables this year are Chytil and Mittlestadt.

Mittelstadt is 20 and has 14 points. Chytil is a 2017 draft pick like Mittelstadt. He has 17 points. Those are both considered great prospects by the fans on these boards. So I’m quite happy not only with Kotkaniemi’s 2way play at 18 but he also has better stats than the above mentioned

Reactions: HankyZetts

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Some Blues fans think Tarasenko's trade value is Kotkaniemi, Brook, 1st, +++++. They made reference to us asking for Thomas and a 1st for Patch and think it's the same. Apparently Thomas is a #1C in the making.
I know many posters are soiling their pants at the thought of Koko Puffs as a #1 center. I hope they are right but I don't see it. On a contender Kotkaniemi is a #2. Even on an average team I don't see KK possessing the skills to be a #1 but then again we did have DD as a #1 so anything is possible.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I know many posters are soiling their pants at the thought of Koko Puffs as a #1 center. I hope they are right but I don't see it. On a contender Kotkaniemi is a #2. Even on an average team I don't see KK possessing the skills to be a #1 but then again we did have DD as a #1 so anything is possible.

It's too early to say anything for sure. Kotkaniemi could be #1C or could be #2C. He is only 18 and most players who make the NHL right after being drafted are 19. It's earlier than early.. haha

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Big difference is that Tarasenko doens't play defence... he barely crosses his own blue line. He's a disaster waiting to happen with julien. Although I love his natural offensive talent, his lack of defensive hustle and very inconsistent effort makes me want to pass on him big time (espacially with the assets it will cost), just wait for the summer and hope one of Panarin or Stone accepts MB's offer.

If Tarasenko was available, I'd inquire. But that is a pipe dream. I agree about waiting till the off season to inquire about Panarin or Stone. The Tarasenko talk was more about his trade value if he were to become available. If so and the Blues were after a futures package with some form of proven talent... I see Tarasenko's value like Patch but more. I say Patch return plus another 1st. Something like that.

The difference between Patch and Tarasenko in terms of production is minuscule. But then you factor the eye test and other things they each bring to the table as well as age.

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec

There's no way you you can be sure of that. He's got plenty of room to grow and he showed flashes of brilliance, what more could you ask for?

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
4 points ahead of the rookie in Carolina...2nd over all pick
2 points back of the rookie in Buffalo....first overall pick

He's doing great...

But how does he compare to generational franchise savior Robert Thomas??????

Edit: I should read through these threads before commenting, no wonder I have no online friends.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
If you look at time on ice, his comparables this year are Chytil and Mittlestadt.

Mittelstadt is 20 and has 14 points. Chytil is a 2017 draft pick like Mittelstadt. He has 17 points. Those are both considered great prospects by the fans on these boards. So I’m quite happy not only with Kotkaniemi’s 2way play at 18 but he also has better stats than the above mentioned
Except hes almost two years younger than Mitts

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
But how does he compare to generational franchise savior Robert Thomas??????

Edit: I should read through these threads before commenting, no wonder I have no online friends.

Thomas should be compared to Poehling or Suzuki types, not Kotkaniemi. They are suited for the 2C roles. But hey, depending on the team they play on, they could be a #1C like the Habs had with Pleky for so many years.

Reactions: McTusk

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Update on Barkov vs Kotkaniemi verion 1.

Kotkaniemi is one point off the number one C to match his rookie season output.... and thats with 9 games in hand.

I guess Barkov aint a 1C

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Except hes almost two years younger than Mitts

People look at offensive output and ignore how Kotkaniemie has a 200' game, great play making and vision, goal scoring ability, and ability to be a trusted center by his coach at age 18. I think most realistic Habs fans are wary of calling him a #1C but he's got game and it's not just offensive ability.

There are many different forms of #1C's. Would people of called Bergeron a #1C back when he was young? Pretty sure they would of said #2C. Comes down to what you value but NHL GM's and coaches value the complete game vs what Galchenyuk would bring to the table as a #1C for example. Some players want to be offensive and don't work at the complete game. Habs have two complete centers in Kotkaniemi and Poehling and Danault would be one darn good #3C IMO. I know some don't like it but I'm moving Domi to wing at some point down the road. It's not a bad thing... Domi can still do what he is doing today on wing and with a strong center like Poehling to work with.

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
Thomas should be compared to Poehling or Suzuki types, not Kotkaniemi. They are suited for the 2C roles. But hey, depending on the team they play on, they could be a #1C like the Habs had with Pleky for so many years.

I'm well aware of that, thanks.

Thomas was in my head after seeing his name down the rookie scoring list, below Kotkaniemi for example, and I flashed back to all the Pacioretty or ROR proposals last summer and the nauseating way a lot of Blues fans went about discussing him.

I can't even make a good inside joke in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad