Player Discussion Jesperi Kotkaniemi (Part VII) - Pretty Mint Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I hope Kotkaniemi has the hunger to keep getting better. Look at where this kid was at the beginning of last season and where he is today. Talk about a rising stock and he's not even 19 till the off season.

IMO, Kotkaniemi needs to compare himself to the elite vs the best players the Habs have. He needs to set his bar high and stay motivated to be one of the best young players in the league.

The Beliveau comparison is not a bad one. A very committed player to team accomplishments and playing effective at both ends of the ice.

Reactions: sandviper and 417

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Weirdly enough my dad ( who started watching hockey around 1958-59) said Kotka reminds him a lot of Beliveau too. I thought that was him exaggerating a bit or misremembering but I guess my old man was on to something there ! Stylistically at least there seems to be something to that comparison.

Stylistically, is a good word. Their focus is team accomplishments and playing just as good offensively as they would in their own end. Commitment to the 200' game. Poehling plays the same game but not as gifted offensively. Kotkaniemi's vision is off the charts for a 18 year old.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I hope Kotkaniemi has the hunger to keep getting better. Look at where this kid was at the beginning of last season and where he is today. Talk about a rising stock and he's not even 19 till the off season.

IMO, Kotkaniemi needs to compare himself to the elite vs the best players the Habs have. He needs to set his bar high and stay motivated to be one of the best young players in the league.

The Beliveau comparison is not a bad one. A very committed player to team accomplishments and playing effective at both ends of the ice.

You don't have to. His hilariously amazing development curve over the last year shows that he has that by the truck load.

JuicyHam

Dec 16, 2013
windsor
Jesperi's better.
Definitely just a better all around player and more mature on the ice. I just ask because it's a very similar situation. Terrible season that leads to drafting a big center with number 1 potential with the third overall pick and then go into the season as a team with zero expectations and actually look like a very good team. Galchenyuk even had more points at 48 games. With hindsight they shouldn't be compared at all but I was just having trouble remembering people's thoughts.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You don't have to. His hilariously amazing development curve over the last year shows that he has that by the truck load.

At some point he tops out. Hope this development curve he is on don't stop till he is a pt/game type center and and one heck of a strong center to deal with.

It's anybodies guess where he tops out at. But everything you see today makes you believe in his ability.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

With all due respect to Mr. Bowman...

Seems like 22yrs old is a ways away from declaring that that's when he'll be a #1C.

I think it'll happen before that.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014

Seems like 22yrs old is a ways away from declaring that that's when he'll be a #1C.

Agreed, he is. #1 at 20 on this team. Which doesn’t mean a whole lot as all teams roll 3 lines, your number and and 2 play basically the same minutes and similar roles. The days of stacking a number one line are mostly over.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Agreed, he is. #1 at 20 on this team. Which doesn’t mean a whole lot as all teams roll 3 lines, your number and and 2 play basically the same minutes and similar roles. The days of stacking a number one line are mostly over.
exactly...

Not to mention that I don't think he or the Habs will wait another 3yrs for him to be the #1C on this team.

He'll force his way up there way before that.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

With elite level talent, it usually does happen before 22.

As far as when he tops out in terms of reaching potential? I have no idea. That is on Kotkaniemi and his motivation to keep getting better. Nobody can predict it, not even Kotkaniemi.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Stacking one line works for some teams. I believe the Bruins were frustrated with Julien cause he always tried to balance it out. With the Habs, we are not built this way as well as so many other teams.

HabsGifs

Follow me on twitter! @HabsGifs
Jan 29, 2009
Kotkaniemi... mint edition: :laugh:

Mint.gif

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Jesperi's better.

No doubt about it. Kotkaniemi > Galchenyuk. Both today and at age 18. Offensive ability was never an issue with Galchenyuk. He produced but only when we placed him with our best players. When he was on the 3rd line, he did't look as good as Kotkaniemi.

Kotkaniemi works just as hard at both ends too. Maybe the hope was the same but our fan base has learned a lot due to the Galchenyuk experiment and his lack of commitment to play a 200' game.

Reactions: Redux91

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I don't want to start any arguments with anyone on here but we're through 48 games which was the length of the lockout season. What we're the impressions of Galchenyuk through 48 games(the full season) compared to Kotkaniemi? I'm just genuinely curious because I don't quite remember what people were thinking at the time.
Galchenyuk was dynamite with the puck but he was playing as winger unlike Kotkaniemi as a center. It' hard to compare 1vs1. That being said when you watched Galchenyuk at first glance you would be more impressed by his offensive skillset more so than Kotkaniemi. You could see him try deke, unleash powerful shots and make crisp accurate passes. Kotkaniemi is a different animal, he looks like a 15 years old nhl vet. So much maturity in his game no flashy dekes (although he often show glimpses of his hands), very few turnover or selfish play. Always back checking hard and supporting defensively. He also showed more vision/playmaking than with Chucky. In term of their physicality both were overwhelmed in the NHL, Kotkaniemi looks more willing to take hit but he also seem to lose his balance more than Galchenyuk did.

Overall Kotkaniemi is a bit more impressive because he did it as a center and he seems more mature and composed than Chucky was.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

Yeah me too. If it doesn't happen by then, I think it doesn't happen. He's on such a steep development curve, learning while he's playing, that it either stops short or he just completely blows us away.

Reactions: 417

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Yeah me too. If it doesn't happen by then, I think it doesn't happen. He's on such a steep development curve, learning while he's playing, that it either stops short or he just completely blows us away.
If he was lost in his own zone or didn't know how to play away from the puck...I might agree with that timeline.

But he's already a very polished 200ft player already, whatever he's lacking is related to physical development, as opposed to anything else.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
If he was lost in his own zone or didn't know how to play away from the puck...I might agree with that timeline.

But he's already a very polished 200ft player already, whatever he's lacking is related to physical development, as opposed to anything else.

Yeah the only times we've seen him play when he was physically equal to his opponents or better he was a total force.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

I think it was a pretty good example of that by Kotka when he listened to his manager/agent or whoever and hired a skating coach to go with his regular assat workouts at 18y, with Laine defenders I constantly have to listen to how things like that should be done years later(with zero development to show so far).

I also believe he has a goal to learn french.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I think it was a pretty good example of that by Kotka when he listened to his manager/agent or whoever and hired a skating coach to go with his regular assat workouts at 18y, with Laine defenders I constantly have to listen to how things like that should be done years later(with zero development to show so far).

I also believe he has a goal to learn french.
So does every player who ever gets signed/drafted/traded for by the Habs who isn't already french lol

Reactions: NotProkofievian

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
You remind me of the people who were saying Pacioretty would be no more than a 3rd line player, when we were only in his rookie season.

I rarely make bold statements about prospects and young players. KK will be a 1st line center.
On the topic of bold statement, I remember buying a centenial jersey with the Pacioretty name on it... in 2010.

Weird flex, I know.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
So does every player who ever gets signed/drafted/traded for by the Habs who isn't already french lol

I didn't get the impression that the goal is to just be able to say hi, but become fluent, and if I'm not completely mistaken he started it already during the offseason. He's a smart kid and knows about the history of Montreal.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
I don't want to start any arguments with anyone on here but we're through 48 games which was the length of the lockout season. What we're the impressions of Galchenyuk through 48 games(the full season) compared to Kotkaniemi? I'm just genuinely curious because I don't quite remember what people were thinking at the time.
Though scotty F bowmen did not say that about alex did he?

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

I can't say I have any real insight or knowledge, but his hunger can be likely be deduced by his improvements since July, as well as his own comments about improving and learning.

Now, every rookie is going to say this and most top-picks are going to improve if given the time and opportunities.

Honestly though, and this is something I tell my kids at the start of every season when I coach, "I don't need you to try to be as good or better than <player x> or <player y>. I need you to be the best you can be."

So, Kotkaniemi I don't feel has to compare himself with others and try to be as good. He just needs to be as good as he can possibly be. I just think his best though will be among the best around the league. I think that is the best way to be and stay motivated.

Reactions: ArsHabs

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I know many posters are soiling their pants at the thought of Koko Puffs as a #1 center. I hope they are right but I don't see it. On a contender Kotkaniemi is a #2. Even on an average team I don't see KK possessing the skills to be a #1 but then again we did have DD as a #1 so anything is possible.
What do you think he is lacking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->