Player Discussion Jesperi Kotkaniemi (Part VII) - Pretty Mint Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
It's pretty impressive how he's playing this well while still growing into his body. Sometimes he looks like a baby giraffe out there with his skinny legs and awkward stride. The fact that he's putting up respectable number with so much physical development left is exciting.

I like that he has a nastiness about him,not shy to cross check,slash etc. Doesn't put up with crap,good for him.He's playing with the right line-mates now and the confidence is showing. Armia and Lehkonen really are helping with his development.

Reactions: cphabs

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
It also took 10 games or so for KK to get on the scoreboard.

It also took the coaching staff 50 games into the season to put KK where he belongs on the pp - the right half wall.

Funny enough it also took the coaching staff half the year last year to put Galchenyuk where he belongs on the pp - the right half wall. We were one of the worst powerplays before this move. After this move, we were one of the best in the league, over a long stretch #1, and then finished 12th.

I wouldn't at all be surprised if this happens again this year.

Not sure what took the coaching staff so long, when some of us had been calling for it all year.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
It also took the coaching staff 50 games into the season to put KK where he belongs on the pp - the right half wall.

Funny enough it also took the coaching staff half the year last year to put Galchenyuk where he belongs on the pp - the right half wall. We were one of the worst powerplays before this move. After this move, we were one of the best in the league, over a long stretch #1, and then finished 12th.

Not sure what took the coaching staff so long, when some of us had been calling for it all year.
I don’t believe throwing a shy 18 yr old kid on the PP to reignite it would’ve been a smart move, especially in this market!!! Kotkaniemi is not coming from dominating the AHL for the last 2yrs, he was a late bloomer coming from Liiga

Half of KK’s goals were scored recently. He’s just figuring out the NHL, I’d say his development has been a HUGE success!!

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I don’t believe throwing a shy 18 yr old kid on the PP to reignite it would’ve been a smart move, especially in this market!!! Kotkaniemi is not coming from dominating the AHL for the last 2yrs, he was a late bloomer coming from Liiga

Half of KK’s goals were scored recently. He’s just figuring out the NHL, I’d say his development has been a HUGE success!!

Kotkaniemi has been on the powerplay for a while now, so your argument doesn't hold - i.e. it doesn't excuse the coaching staff's poor decision of how to use him. To me it was clear as day that he should have been on the right half wall, and that that would have a big effect on the power play. And, the coaching staff made the same big mistake last year with Galchenyuk - as was clear to almost every Hab fan.

The good news is, the coaching staff - and Bergevin - have gotten almost everything else right this year. I worry more now about the PK than the PP. You will see how productive the pp is going to start to be now that the personnel are finally properly being used (Weber in Ovechkin's office, KK in Galchenyuk's, Drouin the QB, Armia (or Gallagher or Shaw) in front of the net, and Tatar (or Domi) roaming). Weber, KK, and Drouin at the top of the diamond are the keys. Many other players can fulfill Armia and Tatar's current roles.

Reactions: DAChampion

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Nah, I mean the season total. That would be 10 goals and 0 assists in the last 31 games. Doable.
You wrote 26+17 for 43pts over a total season, yes?
Since Kotkaniemi had 6G+17A up til his 51st game of the season. That means he would score 20 goals in the remaining 31 games.

I'm not saying it's incorrect or he can't pull it off, just joking with how those stats looked.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Is anyone dumping on chucky?

Think posters are just stating facts when comparing the two.

Chucky is a scoring winger that has good offensive instincts but poor overall hockey IQ, Kotkniemi is a scoring Centre that plays a 200ft game at 18 and thinks the game at a very high level.

it’s not meant to make one look bad, its just bringing the talents of one at the forefront.

Kotkaniemi is the superior player, and that’s that. :)

What is the point of the exercise? Who cares what Chuckie does, he's a goner.

However, if someone is hell bent on comparing the two, why don't we let KK get more than half a season's worth of play under his belt, just to have a more meaningful sample. Of course, looking great so far for KK and as far as I'm concerned, that's all that really matters however others may see it differently and can't appreciate KK solely on his own merits without having to compare him with the likes of Galchenyuk.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
You wrote 26+17 for 43pts over a total season, yes?
Since Kotkaniemi had 6G+17A up til his 51st game of the season, that means he would score 20 in the remaining 31 games (and also get 0 assists).

Anyways I know it wasn't anything serious, I was just playing with what those stats represented.
If players could get a secondary assist on their goals? Kotkaniemi would more than likely have 3-4 more assists and points.

Reactions: G0bias

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Don't look now but i'm pretty sure KK grew up since the draft and he looks like he's around 6'4" at the moment. Looked carefully yesterday when he scored his goal on the PP and he was as tall as Armia and Weber and looked like a giant next to Tatar who is billed at 5'10''. Imagine he tops out and develops his game in a 6'5" frame? Holy **** we finally got that huge centre with skill.

I concur. He looks much taller than Lekhonen on recent videos.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014

You so smart. Sounded pretty much like what you wanted to hear.

Maybe they felt that the layer wasn't ready for it, wasn't playing with enough confidence, etc.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017

Don't say that to triplechin Gord Miller.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
You so smart. Sounded pretty much like what you wanted to hear.

Maybe they felt that the layer wasn't ready for it, wasn't playing with enough confidence, etc.

No, I want the coaching staff to be held accountable for an easy decision that was not made.

The players took a lot of heat this year and last year for half a season and the lack of pp really hurt us. Last year Pacioretty hated being on the right half wall and Galchneyuk was the perfect player for the role. It took them forever to make the switch. This year our poor power play was a real problem. We see now what a surge - including a surge in the standings - we get from having a good pp.

At least they finally got it right and have been doing so much else right. The team is probably right now running on all cylinders. Alzner, Schlemko, and Ouellet are out in favor of Mete, Reilly, and Kulak (as many of us wanted long before it was done). KK, Weber, and Drouin are in their right positions on the powerplay. I think the lines are good now. I had wanted to see a switch of Danault and KK, but for now we'll see how the current lines play out.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
What is the point of the exercise? Who cares what Chuckie does, he's a goner.

However, if someone is hell bent on comparing the two, why don't we let KK get more than half a season's worth of play under his belt, just to have a more meaningful sample. Of course, looking great so far for KK and as far as I'm concerned, that's all that really matters however others may see it differently and can't appreciate KK solely on his own merits without having to compare him with the likes of Galchenyuk.
I’d ask myself the same question when comparing Weber to Subban, why bother, he’s gone!!......let’s debate it for a month then move on, but here we are, years later....the nature of HF i guess.

I know the difference is one was traded for the other, but their link (KK/Chucky) stems from the position they play or were drafted for, and both were drafted at 3 overall. One has failed, the other is seizing the opportunity.....so the debate is born.

It’s been argued here about where Galchenyuk’s IQ and ability to play centre stood. I think it’s fair to say that KK has surpassed all expectations and is also ahead of Chucky in most facets of the game, it’s so bloody evident!!

I honestly don’t need to see anymore games played to form an opinion on who’s the better hockey player, and this certainly does not devalue who Chucky is as I believe that he’s a very useful scoring winger who I’d accept back on this team in a jiffy.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Kotkaniemi is also the superior player to Drouin, Danault, Domi, Gallagher, Tatar, Byron etc... And that's that.
I believe he has the superior upside, I’m not ready to say he’s a better player then all aforementioned players

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I’d ask myself the same question when comparing Weber to Subban, why bother, he’s gone!!......let’s debate it for a month then move on, but here we are, years later....the nature of HF i guess.

I know the difference is one was traded for the other, but their link (KK/Chucky) stems from the position they play or were drafted for, and both were drafted at 3 overall. One has failed, the other is seizing the opportunity.....so the debate is born.

It’s been argued here about where Galchenyuk’s IQ and ability to play centre stood. I think it’s fair to say that KK has surpassed all expectations and is also ahead of Chucky in most facets of the game, it’s so bloody evident!!

I honestly don’t need to see anymore games played to form an opinion on who’s the better hockey player, and this certainly does not devalue who Chucky is as I believe that he’s a very useful scoring winger who I’d accept back on this team in a jiffy.

So what if KK is better than Chucky, all the better.

Plus, Chucky wasn't totally useless, he got us Domi. To me, Chucky's comparable is Domi because of the trade, obviously. Same with Weber. KK and Chucky -- no appetite for that, don't see the point.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I believe he has the superior upside, I’m not ready to say he’s a better player then all aforementioned players

There you go. You'd want a larger sample size of games from KK.

Reactions: jaffy27

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Kotkaniemi has been on the powerplay for a while now, so your argument doesn't hold - i.e. it doesn't excuse the coaching staff's poor decision of how to use him. To me it was clear as day that he should have been on the right half wall, and that that would have a big effect on the power play. And, the coaching staff made the same big mistake last year with Galchenyuk - as was clear to almost every Hab fan.

The good news is, the coaching staff - and Bergevin - have gotten almost everything else right this year. I worry more now about the PK than the PP. You will see how productive the pp is going to start to be now that the personnel are finally properly being used (Weber in Ovechkin's office, KK in Galchenyuk's, Drouin the QB, Armia (or Gallagher or Shaw) in front of the net, and Tatar (or Domi) roaming). Weber, KK, and Drouin at the top of the diamond are the keys. Many other players can fulfill Armia and Tatar's current roles.
What’s a while??

How long has he been starting the first string PP??

Was he able to make that one timer from the half wall since the start of the season or has he progressively been working on it all year and has developed the confidence and ability to make that play just recently?

I’m asking cause I don’t live in Brossard anymore and don’t go see the practices anymore.

Like, has he been able to rip those one timers top corner in October?

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
There you go. You'd want a larger sample size of games from KK.
:laugh:

Yes I would, I also believe all those players are better than Chucky on the “overall” aspect.....Chucky can snipe....and....hmmm.....hmmmmmm....he can snipe lol

I’d say without a doubt that KK has more talent than all the players on the habs except Drouin, he just needs more games to gain that experience when it comes to managing a game and the decision making side of it. Funny thing is that this is also what Drouin needs, experience.

When it comes to Chucky though, he’s already surpassed him.......IMHO :)

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
So what if KK is better than Chucky, all the better.

Plus, Chucky wasn't totally useless, he got us Domi. To me, Chucky's comparable is Domi because of the trade, obviously. Same with Weber. KK and Chucky -- no appetite for that, don't see the point.
I’ve never once said that Chucky is useless....not once

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
What’s a while??

How long has he been starting the first string PP??

Was he able to make that one timer from the half wall since the start of the season or has he progressively been working on it all year and has developed the confidence and ability to make that play just recently?

I’m asking cause I don’t live in Brossard anymore and don’t go see the practices anymore.

Like, has he been able to rip those one timers top corner in October?

Still, the first few games he was on the pp, right away you could see it had more flow: both Weber and KK were good options and that gave more room to Drouin. But KK wasn't using the one-timer enough, instead looking for the perfect play, and I suspect deffering to the veterans. But he's a quick learner. Now that he's gotten a taste of scoring from there, I think he'll look to one time it more. I remember when Chucky started scoring from there, it opened the flood gates for him.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

Still, the first few games he was on the pp, right away you could see it had more flow: both Weber and KK were good options and that gave more room to Drouin. But KK wasn't using the one-timer enough, instead looking for the perfect play, and I suspect deffering to the veterans. But he's a quick learner. Now that he's gotten a taste of scoring from there, I think he'll look to one time it more. I remember when Chucky started scoring from there, it opened the flood gates for him.

Kotkaniemi is insane, to think he was not a top 10 pick in mid term rankings and here he is, 1 yr later, second best scorer of his draft, 2 pts behind generational talent Dahlin

Reactions: Habaneros

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Kotkaniemi is insane, to think he was not a top 10 pick in mid term rankings and here he is, 1 yr later, second best scorer of his draft, 2 pts behind generational talent Dahlin

High hockey I.Q., high defensive I.Q., high offensive instincts, very fast learner, high skill level, good shot, good vision, good stick handling, good playmaker, etc... Scotty Bowman says he'll be a first line center by 22. Was Scotty under estimating how quickly Kotkaniemi has the potential to take the no. 1 role?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad