Player Discussion Jesperi Kotkaniemi (Part VII) - Pretty Mint Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Galchenyuk had a fantastic rookie season, let's not engage in any revisionist history. Given the minutes that he played, let alone the fact that he had missed a year of development and was coming back from injury, he performed great.

However, he never progressed much beyond that point. He did suffer several injuries, and if that happens to Kotkaniemi as well then he will suffer the same ordeal, no player can escape the consequences of injury. Galchenyuk also had to play second fiddle to Desharnais, for which an analogous situation seems less likely with Julien. It is also alleged that Galchenyuk had a poor attitude, but this rumor comes from people who say things like "this one time, he was at a party that went past bedtime," they don't have any relevant evidence.

As it is, Kotkaniemi is progressing, he has a lesser injury history, and the coach actually likes him. That goes a long way, and it sets him up for a brighter future than Galchenyuk, regardless of nonsense variables such as "intrinsic talent level".
He did blow his knee out though, much like Galchenyuk, just not the year of his draft. But your point stands, I'm much less concerned with Julien then I'd be with Therrien to say the least.

Last edited:

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Galchenyuk had a fantastic rookie season, let's not engage in any revisionist history. Given the minutes that he played, let alone the fact that he had missed a year of development and was coming back from injury, he performed great.

However, he never progressed much beyond that point. He did suffer several injuries, and if that happens to Kotkaniemi as well then he will suffer the same ordeal, no player can escape the consequences of injury. Galchenyuk also had to play second fiddle to Desharnais, for which an analogous situation seems less likely with Julien. It is also alleged that Galchenyuk had a poor attitude, but this rumor comes from people who say things like "this one time, he was at a party that went past bedtime," they don't have any relevant evidence.

As it is, Kotkaniemi is progressing, he has a lesser injury history, and the coach actually likes him. That goes a long way, and it sets him up for a brighter future than Galchenyuk, regardless of nonsense variables such as "intrinsic talent level".

Our entire developmental and coaching staff has changed a lot since 2012. I don't see how anybody can compare their development as if there is a parallel. Hopefully we are on the right track with our current young players, time will tell!

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Don't look now but i'm pretty sure KK grew up since the draft and he looks like he's around 6'4" at the moment. Looked carefully yesterday when he scored his goal on the PP and he was as tall as Armia and Weber and looked like a giant next to Tatar who is billed at 5'10''. Imagine he tops out and develops his game in a 6'5" frame? Holy **** we finally got that huge centre with skill.

I think you're right. Was just watching some of his highlights and at one point during a goal celebration he's hugging Benn and it looks like he's got 2 or so inches on him.

roughly 3:50 in the video.

Reactions: DAChampion

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Our entire developmental and coaching staff has changed a lot since 2012. I don't see how anybody can compare their development as if it there is a parallel.

I think its simply that cynicism is a psychological defense mechanism. I believe that people often indulge in cynicism to prevent the pain of disappointment, as a coping mechanism that is adapted from prior disappointments. In the case of Habs fans, it really feels like we're not allowed to be happy. We've been disappointed by offensive prospects so many times. So people might not want to believe that JK can become a credible top-15 C that plays well at both ends, as they don't want to be disappointed if the shit hits the fan.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
I think its simply that cynicism is a psychological defense mechanism. I believe that people often indulge in cynicism to prevent the pain of disappointment, as a coping mechanism that is adapted from prior disappointments. In the case of Habs fans, it really feels like we're not allowed to be happy. We've been disappointed by offensive prospects so many times. So people might not want to believe that JK can become a credible top-15 C that plays well at both ends, as they don't want to be disappointed if the **** hits the fan.

I think most reasonable fans want our prospects to succeed. I personally am tired of the constant justification , Galchenyuk didn't have X or acted like Y. The reality is our development during those years speaks for itself (it was putrid) , I honestly hope we have turned a corner. However, based on previous experience I will remain cautiously optimistic and I don't think there is anything wrong with that approach.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Kotkaniemi is better than Chucky today IMO, comparing their rookie years is laughable... The kid just plays the game the right way already and Chucky never managed to learn and progress.

Kotkaniemi is better than Chucky, no doubt.

But they're very different players. Chucky didn't score 30 goals his rookie year. There was progression. And, Chucky was a better 200 foot winger at the end of last year than at the beginning.

I think he'll be a 30 goal scorer on a good line that won't hurt you defensively. Whereas Kotkaniemi has the potential to be one of the best 2oo feet no. 1 centers in the game, with a lot of offense as well. No comparison. But that doesn't mean we need to dump on Chucky. Two different players.

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
It's pretty impressive how he's playing this well while still growing into his body. Sometimes he looks like a baby giraffe out there with his skinny legs and awkward stride. The fact that he's putting up respectable number with so much physical development left is exciting.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal

But they're very different players. Chucky didn't score 30 goals his rookie year. There was progression. And, Chucky was a better 200 foot winger at the end of last year than at the beginning.

I think he'll be a 30 goal scorer on a good line that won't hurt you defensively. Whereas Kotkaniemi has the potential to be one of the best 2oo feet no. 1 centers in the game, with a lot of offense as well. No comparison. But that doesn't mean we need to dump on Chucky. Two different players.
I'm not dumping on Chucky, I'm calling a spade a spade.

The guy just doesn't have it... He still has no clue how to defend or position himself in the defensive zone!

Kotkaniemi could probably kill penalties already by the way he reads the game and is able to position himself on the ice.

Reactions: Redux91

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Is the kid getting a cut?

Now available at the Habs's apparel store:

DDtsnuu.jpg

THPC0258 T-SHIRT MINT

JuicyHam

Dec 16, 2013
windsor
I'm not dumping on Chucky, I'm calling a spade a spade.

The guy just doesn't have it... He still has no clue how to defend or position himself in the defensive zone!

Kotkaniemi could probably kill penalties already by the way he reads the game and is able to position himself on the ice.
I really think he should kill penalties. Maybe starting next season. He seems like not only would he just be good at it he'd be better than a lot of what we're putting out.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I really think he should kill penalties. Maybe starting next season. He seems like not only would he just be good at it he'd be better than a lot of what we're putting out.
Yeah , he seems to be a pain in the ass to play against out there with that ridiculously long stick he almost covers the whole ice :biglaugh:

What a draft pick! He's already a beauty but the best is still to come! :hyper:

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
The Baby Faced Assassin has more points and goals thank Galchenbust. Even if it's just one, it feels good.

tI47RWr.gif

Reactions: overlords

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

Is anyone dumping on chucky?

Think posters are just stating facts when comparing the two.

Chucky is a scoring winger that has good offensive instincts but poor overall hockey IQ, Kotkniemi is a scoring Centre that plays a 200ft game at 18 and thinks the game at a very high level.

it’s not meant to make one look bad, its just bringing the talents of one at the forefront.

Kotkaniemi is the superior player, and that’s that. :)

Reactions: Redux91

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Is anyone dumping on chucky?

Think posters are just stating facts when comparing the two.

Chucky is a scoring winger that has good offensive instincts but poor overall hockey IQ, Kotkniemi is a scoring Centre that plays a 200ft game at 18 and thinks the game at a very high level.

it’s not meant to make one look bad, its just bringing the talents of one at the forefront.

Kotkaniemi is the superior player, and that’s that. :)

Kotkaniemi is also the superior player to Drouin, Danault, Domi, Gallagher, Tatar, Byron etc... And that's that.

Reactions: Mrb1p and jaffy27

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007

I highly doubt it. Galchenyuk once again is getting among the team's most offensive zone starts and is once again giving up more chances than he's getting. Seriously investing in giving this guy prime ice-time is up there with Desharnais when you look at production vs. opportunity. He has the worst "expected +/-" on his team at -10.2.

"Expected +/- is generated by where shots are taken from, for and against, while this player is on the ice. It is based on where shots are coming from compared to the league wide shooting percentage for that shot location." (from 2018-19 Arizona Coyotes Roster and Statistics | Hockey-Reference.com).

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I highly doubt it. Galchenyuk once again is getting among the team's most offensive zone starts and is once again giving up more chances than he's getting. Seriously investing in giving this guy prime ice-time is up there with Desharnais when you look at production vs. opportunity. He has the worst "expected +/-" on his team at -10.2. Expected +/- is generated by where shots are taken from, for and against, while this player is on the ice. It is based on where shots are coming from compared to the league wide shooting percentage for that shot location. (from 2018-19 Arizona Coyotes Roster and Statistics | Hockey-Reference.com).

At the end of the day, the proof will be in the pudding we'll see where his career goes. I'm glad Drouin, who's had questions about just where his career is going, is on a hot streak. Even before this hot streak I believed in his ability to "get it" and go to the next level offensively and not be a defensive liability. I believe the same is true of Chucky and I think Claude and he were on that path. I would definitely take Domi over Chucky, but as I said, I still believe in Chucky. Time will tell.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
I think its simply that cynicism is a psychological defense mechanism. I believe that people often indulge in cynicism to prevent the pain of disappointment, as a coping mechanism that is adapted from prior disappointments. In the case of Habs fans, it really feels like we're not allowed to be happy. We've been disappointed by offensive prospects so many times. So people might not want to believe that JK can become a credible top-15 C that plays well at both ends, as they don't want to be disappointed if the **** hits the fan.

I'm definetely there. I have to protect my psyche.

Reactions: DAChampion
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad