Player Discussion Jesperi Kotkaniemi (Part VII) - Pretty Mint Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I think its simply that cynicism is a psychological defense mechanism. I believe that people often indulge in cynicism to prevent the pain of disappointment, as a coping mechanism that is adapted from prior disappointments. In the case of Habs fans, it really feels like we're not allowed to be happy. We've been disappointed by offensive prospects so many times. So people might not want to believe that JK can become a credible top-15 C that plays well at both ends, as they don't want to be disappointed if the **** hits the fan.
So true and explains a lot about the prevalent attitude here.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
There’s a picture I saw on Reddit of Lehkonen, Armia and Kotkaniemi skating off the ice. Despite Armia being closer to the camera, Kotkaniemi looked to be the same height. He also looked like a half head taller than Lehkonen.

Basically, he may be hitting 6’3 or 6’4 now. It may also explain some of the awkwardness and tripping over himself earlier in the season.

Meh, could be nothing also, but I thought it was interesting.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
There’s a picture I saw on Reddit of Lehkonen, Armia and Kotkaniemi skating off the ice. Despite Armia being closer to the camera, Kotkaniemi looked to be the same height. He also looked like a half head taller than Lehkonen.

Basically, he may be hitting 6’3 or 6’4 now. It may also explain some of the awkwardness and tripping over himself earlier in the season.

Meh, could be nothing also, but I thought it was interesting.
This one?
ypvp5mj50cf21.jpg

Armia's knees are more bent and his head is shifted downwards, hence why KK appears taller.

Reactions: Gains

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
This one?
ypvp5mj50cf21.jpg

Armia's knees are more bent and his head is shifted downwards, hence why KK appears taller.

Yeah, that one. That said, KK isn’t upright himself. However, he seems to be more in line with Lehkonen in terms of camera perspective, and he’s officially listed at 6’? The difference seems more than 2” to me.

Anyhow, not taking any of this too seriously, but let’s just say there’s validity to this... KK may finally be that 6’4, 200lb skilled center we’ve waited for. May need to wait another couple years, but we’ll see.

Tonneau

May 15, 2017
Montreal
Yeah, that one. That said, KK isn’t upright himself. However, he seems to be more in line with Lehkonen in terms of camera perspective, and he’s officially listed at 6’?

Lekhonen is supposedly 6'0" and Kotka 6'2", but those numbers are always off. Lehkonen being shorter than 6'0" is likelier than Kotkaniemi being taller than 6'2", although it could still be either or even a combination of both.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
I"ve had a better look at Chucky since I now live in the desert and watch all the Yotes games.
He has speed to burn, a great shot too. But what he lacks in, and you cant teach, is hockey I.Q. He's just a dummy on the ice. He's working very hard on most nights and is doing decent but he's nowhere near where what Jespari will become and already he' s better the Galchenyuk.

. Kok's is a rough diamond right now who's ceiling is ? who really knows. The kid's hockey I.Q. is off the charts. Wayne Gretzky probably had the greatest hockey I.Q. It really does matter

. When Jespari develops he's going to be I hope a Ryan Getzlaf type player. I can see the kid putting on a solid 10-15 pounds of muscle. He is surprisingly strong on the puck even as an 18 year old which is unheard of.

I also see some Mats Sundin in him. Anyway he's going to be fun to watch develop because he also seems to really have a love for the game and is an unpretentious kid. He wont have his dad hovering around the organization and knowing Finn kids like I do (both my parents are from Finland) he's going to be a delight for years to come.

Jack Skellington

Sep 29, 2017
I"ve had a better look at Chucky since I now live in the desert and watch all the Yotes games.
He has speed to burn, a great shot too. But what he lacks in, and you cant teach, is hockey I.Q. He's just a dummy on the ice. He's working very hard on most nights and is doing decent but he's nowhere near where what Jespari will become and already he' s better the Galchenyuk.

. Kok's is a rough diamond right now who's ceiling is ? who really knows. The kid's hockey I.Q. is off the charts. Wayne Gretzky probably had the greatest hockey I.Q. It really does matter

. When Jespari develops he's going to be I hope a Ryan Getzlaf type player. I can see the kid putting on a solid 10-15 pounds of muscle. He is surprisingly strong on the puck even as an 18 year old which is unheard of.

I also see some Mats Sundin in him. Anyway he's going to be fun to watch develop because he also seems to really have a love for the game and is an unpretentious kid. He wont have his dad hovering around the organization and knowing Finn kids like I do (both my parents are from Finland) he's going to be a delight for years to come.
I’ve said getzlaf from the beginning

McGuires Corndog

Marc Bergevin juju exorcist
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
I’ve said getzlaf from the beginning

I see more Kopitar than Getzlaf, myself. KK isn’t anywhere near as physically intimidating as Getzlaf nor do I ever expect him to be.

I think he’ll be a better defensive center man than Getzlaf, and we can hope he can reach the offensive numbers (I think he will). What he’s doing at 18 years old is amazing and you can really tell he’s taken a big step since the all-star break. He’s learned how to get his shot off.

I’m saying it right now, we finally have our #1 center.

dkd

May 4, 2012
Canada
Looks like a different player post all-star break, the plays and shots he was trying to make earlier in the year that he was just missing on are starting to click now that he's gaining some confidence, strength and getting some more ice time

Never expected him to be this good at 18

I feel like it comes down to confidence, which it looks like he's gained a lot of. He's playing a quieter game now, but much more efficient.

Reactions: JAPPO

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Because it was the obvious thing to do... ive been saying the same thing since december... and now they wake up.
Maybe the player wasn’t ready at that time, maybe he’s just starting to feel good about his one timer. I’m sure there’s a valid reason why he wasn’t put in thT position in November or December.

habergeon

Apr 15, 2015
Looks like a different player post all-star break, the plays and shots he was trying to make earlier in the year that he was just missing on are starting to click now that he's gaining some confidence, strength and getting some more ice time

Never expected him to be this good at 18

I' agree 100%.

He has exceeded my expectations for sure, he's playing better than Barkov did at 18.

Not saying he will be better than Barkov down the road, but so far he is outperforming expectations and by all appearances is looks like a legit future top 6 player.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I' agree 100%.

He has exceeded my expectations for sure, he's playing better than Barkov did at 18.

Not saying he will be better than Barkov down the road, but so far he is outperforming expectations and by all appearances is looks like a legit future top 6 player.
Top 3.....it’s what it looks like

Reactions: habergeon

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Agree.....but with KK finding his groove lately, one timers from the right and left courtesy of Weber and KK will give it a big shot in the arm!!
The PP started clicking lately or since Julien took over the PP exactly, we're at 21.4% in the last 5 games.

Let's hope the boys can keep it rolling!

Reactions: jaffy27
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->