Player Discussion Jesperi Kotkaniemi (Part VII) - Pretty Mint Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
He's one of those players who would have been questionned forever had he stayed in liiga. Im happy to skip all the conversations about whether or not he was a good pick for two years. Im forced to admit making him stay was the correct call.

So enjoyable to watch.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
He's one of those players who would have been questionned forever had he stayed in liiga. Im happy to skip all the conversations about whether or not he was a good pick for two years. Im forced to admit making him stay was the correct call.

So enjoyable to watch.
Nobody would question him if he was putting up record numbers. Uncharted territory for Finn players, as they usually come over before being "too" good for their league. If he did put up better numbers than Barkov, Granlund and Aho he'd have quite the hype going for him.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I wouldn't have been too hung up on points if he played in Liiga this year, look at Heponiemi who's killing it this year as a rookie in liiga but he also plays on the best team in the league. For me it would be about how much can he improve his strength, skating, as he doesn't have a lot of holes in his game but for me I prefer taking caution with 18, 19, 20 year olds. I like what the Nucks did, but that doesn't mean he couldn't have had the same impact last year or that one move is better then the other. But for Kotka it's not just about this year, it's how much he can progress each year. Look back at the Galchenyuk threads from year one, two, three and while clearly he had more issues/concerns then Kotka does, you can see most on this board were happy with his play/progression outside of usage.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I wouldn't have been too hung up on points if he played in Liiga this year, look at Heponiemi who's killing it this year as a rookie in liiga but he also plays on the best team in the league. For me it would be about how much can he improve his strength, skating, as he doesn't have a lot of holes in his game but for me I prefer taking caution with 18, 19, 20 year olds. I like what the Nucks did, but that doesn't mean he couldn't have had the same impact last year or that one move is better then the other. But for Kotka it's not just about this year, it's how much he can progress each year. Look back at the Galchenyuk threads from year one, two, three and while clearly he had more issues/concerns then Kotka does, you can see most on this board were happy with his play/progression outside of usage.
Heponiemi is 20 years old and not even producing PPG, not exactly the best example TBH. A far cry from Koivu's 1.65 PPG at 19 years old.

But sure, what matters most is him actually getting better.

Reactions: DAChampion

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Heponiemi is 20 years old and not even producing PPG, not exactly the best example TBH. A far cry from Koivu's 1.65 PPG at 19 years old.

But sure, what matters most is him actually getting better.

it's his age 19 season since he was able to play in the WJC's and he's just about a ppg at .92. He's the top U-20 scorer in liiga this year. If you look at the past 10 years, only Grandlund, Pulkkinen, Aho, were higher, granted Barkov and others were right there and younger.

Elite Prospects - Liiga Stats All-time season

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
it's his age 19 season since he was able to play in the WJC's and he's just about a ppg at .92. He's the top U-20 scorer in liiga this year. If you look at the past 10 years, only Grandlund, Pulkkinen, Aho, were higher, granted Barkov and others were right there and younger.

Elite Prospects - Liiga Stats All-time season
Wait, thats how it works ? I always took the age at the end of the season.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
official for who? eliteprospects lists Hepo as a U-20 player, same for Poehling. For the NHL they only care about turning 18 by Sept 15th and for the AHL by turning 20 by Jan 1st.
Well, there has to be some official rule to what a u-19/u-20/u-wtv season is... I guess elite prospect uses the WJC dates, which is probably what makes the most sense, but it's not exactly an u-20 season, as he's going to play 10ish games at 20...

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
The whole skinny and weak stuff is a narrative that was born around here.
I think people are mostly saying that we can expect him to become bigger and stronger in the future. His lower body strength as of now, is below average but in a couple of years, it could easily become one of his strengths just because of natural growth which will come with age.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
I think people are mostly saying that we can expect him to become bigger and stronger in the future. His lower body strength as of now, is below average but in a couple of years, it could easily become one of his strengths just because of natural growth which will come with age.
Exactly. The dude is 6'2 and like 170 pounds, if people can't see and admit that he's lanky and lacks NHL level strength right now I don't know what to say.

He's the youngest player in the league, it is not bashing or creating a "narrative" to comment that an obviously very skinny and lanky young player will be even better as he gets older and stronger. The only time I've seen his strength/size brought up is in a positive way, in the sense that "he's playing so well now even though he's really skinny, and he'll be even better as he builds NHL level strength at his height".

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

for sure as you just have to look at his legs, they look like pencils. Once this kid fills out and gets stronger he's going to be a beast.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Should take up serious cycling in the off-season. Transformed my legs when I was younger.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Would be nice if Kotka can be the first player in a while to be accelerated to NHL as junior aged prospect and ends up panning out for Montreal. So far looking good.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
He better keep his head up tonight. Not that he doesn’t, but this game should be a rough one IMO

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
KK : 10 goals 17 assists

Chucky : 9 goals 17 assists

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad